New Captain?

Patty16

It has to be someone who, in a Lucic-miller situation, will attack immediately and without hesitation.

You want to give the "C" to Ryan's mom? :D

Seriously, no "C" this season. Give an "A" to Ehrhoff and/or Ott and see how they handle themselves the rest of the season. At the end of training camp next year, let the players vote on it. OR, if we do get a high-revving coach like Roy, let him make the choice. That will really determine the direction the team will head...

It has to be someone who, in a Lucic-miller situation, will attack immediately and without hesitation.

Yeah, like Crosby. Actually, looking at the list here, it seems to be somewhat split between your idea of captain and good hockey players.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_current_NHL_captains_and_alternate_captains

I'd give an *A* to Ehrhoff.

If Ruff was still here I know who would be wearing the *C*.

Since there are something like 10 games left this season and, most likely, in his NHL career, I would give the *C* to Hecht.

That's a sensible idea.

Putting a C on any player right now would be like a kiss of death.

Might as well be Yo-yo.

This condition would preclude some of the more celebrated captains in recent memory. I'm not opposed to a grittier captain, but it's certainly shouldn't be a prerequisite.

So, you want Stafford wearing the C?

:P

Yeah, like Crosby. Actually, looking at the list here, it seems to be somewhat split between your idea of captain and good hockey players.

http://en.wikipedia....ernate_captains

I think Crosby would attack in that situation, as would 75% or so of the captains on that list.

This condition would preclude some of the more celebrated captains in recent memory. I'm not opposed to a grittier captain, but it's certainly shouldn't be a prerequisite.

I would expect that most of those celebrated captains you're referring to are true elite players. The Sabres don't have anyone like that.

As for whether it's a prerequisite -- first, in the absence of an elite player with leadership qualities, I think it is a prerequisite. Second, if the Sabres are really turning the page on a failed era, I think the new page has to include gritty leadership.

I think Crosby would attack in that situation, as would 75% or so of the captains on that list.

I would expect that most of those celebrated captains you're referring to are true elite players. The Sabres don't have anyone like that.

As for whether it's a prerequisite -- first, in the absence of an elite player with leadership qualities, I think it is a prerequisite. Second, if the Sabres are really turning the page on a failed era, I think the new page has to include gritty leadership.

even Stevie Y attacked when his goalie was run over by a thug.

(Anyone remember the Kevin Maguire donneybrook against Detroit? That was all started when Maguire plowed the Detroit goalie and a rookie Stevie Y dove in against a seasoned fighter to defend his teammate)

My contention is that a player with true captain potential is hyper-competitive enough that defense of his teammate is almost automatic.

I say no captain this year, then let them figure it out this offseason. My money would be on Cody Hodgson. I think that guy would flourish in a leadership role.

I agree with this.

And I like the cut of Girgenson's jib down the road as well. The reports of him blocking shots when his team was down 14-0 is all I have to know about his ability to lead by example.

GO SABRES!!!

Archived