Darcy Regier, do you trust him with the rebuild?

LGR4GM

DR and the Rebuild  

108 members have voted

1. 1. Do you trust Darcy Regier with the Sabres rebuild?

• Yes, he has proven that with his post pegula actions
    • Maybe, it will depend on this deadline and offseason
    • No, he has no clue what he is doing and needs to be fired yesterday

This isn't my recollection at all. I believe the vast majority expected playoffs, or at worst a near miss. And just about nobody thought they'd be one of the worst teams in the league.

This might be more accurate but my question is what did the Sabres expect (management) and do they have faith in Regier? I would guess that they do. I think the next 6.5 hours are very important to how much faith they have in DR.

This isn't my recollection at all. I believe the vast majority expected playoffs, or at worst a near miss. And just about nobody thought they'd be one of the worst teams in the league.

Oh some of us had "faith" in this team from the beginning. Sure, the two opening victories shook my convictions, but they are who I thought they were.

I find Bucky's article from yesterday hilarious. Under the guise of making points about Regier, he takes shots at Pegula. He particularly hates the fact that Terry does not make himself available to the public. This goes with my theory that Sports writers don't realize what they are. They have delusions of being journalists providing some public good. Shining light on things that the public has a right to know. Like Woodward and Bernstein. They refuse to accept that they are the masculine equivalent of E! news and Ryan Seacrest. There is no dire public interest served by Terry saying anything publicly. If he chooses not to speak with reporters, tough luck. It's entertainment. Not just the play on the ice, but the entire circus from analytics to the draft to 36 consecutive hours of coverage beginning July 1st.

The Buffalo News sports department seems to think the Sabres have an obligation to let them walk right in take their shots and say 'thank you sir, can I have another.'

Good reporters cultivate sources and break stories.

Yes. Most of us were snowed by yet another mad dash for 9th last year, and assumed along with the roster tweaks made over the summer that this team would pick up where they left off. Thankfully, it doesn't seem like they are even tempting us with a similar run this year, and even if they do I suspect that most of us refuse to be fooled again.

This might be more accurate but my question is what did the Sabres expect (management) and do they have faith in Regier? I would guess that they do. I think the next 6.5 hours are very important to how much faith they have in DR.

Ruff was fired early enough in the year to salvage the season and chase a playoff spot. My guess is they, like us, expected a playoff team.

Oh some of us had "faith" in this team from the beginning. Sure, the two opening victories shook my convictions, but they are who I thought they were.

If we ever do the Sabrespace meetup, I would greatly appreciate it if you could re-enact the Dennis Green rant, adapted for the Sabres :P

No, No, No, No! Please no more Darcy making the GM decisions. I agree with others that say accountable for the whole team, the sum of the parts is the GM not just individual trade grades.

If giving him that new contract makes it too embarassing to dismiss him now then move him into draft evalaution or trade negotiation as some other's said without the decision making for the player choices.

Go back and look at the old threads during the off season. Most here were accepting of the fact that this team might not be a force this year, but were excited about the possibility of having a couple of fresh new centers. Deny it all you want, doesn't make it any less true.

And not that I'm defending Darcy, but nobody has yet to deny that this team's problems cannot be traced to what he has done since Pegula got here.

Go back and look at the old threads during the off season. Most here were accepting of the fact that this team might not be a force this year, but were excited about the possibility of having a couple of fresh new centers. Deny it all you want, doesn't make it any less true.

And not that I'm defending Darcy, but nobody has yet to deny that this team's problems cannot be traced to what he has done since Pegula got here.

"Not be a force" =/= bottom 5 team. I don't think anyone foresaw how bad this team would be. Even angry Eleven expected a mediocre finish IIRC (ie. just miss playoffs).

Okay, I was thinking that Darcy was as good as gone after the season, and was assuming, because of this, neithe Vanek or Miller would be moved today...maybe Pomminstein if there is a tremendous, no-brainer offer.

However, a few minutes ago, I got an email from the Buffalo Sabres, with a link to the Sabres team web-site article: "pre-deadline interview with GM Darcy Regier". I got a little nauseous. If Darcy was on borrowed time, would they be hyping this "interview"?

It's the general managers job to make sure that the whole is greater then the sum of the parts. By "winning" trades but failing to see what pieces the team needs, you end up with a "flawed" team where you expect Ennis and Hodgson to co exist as your two centers and both have to sit when the other team's top center is on the ice or when an important defensive zone face off is happening. There are a whole assortment of other ills on the present day roster that I will leave to the X's and O's guys to disseminate.

On top of that, the pipeline is vastly overrated by some on this board. Read some un-biased assessments and you will see that only Girgerenko and Armia are considered top line material and while some of the defensemen are considered top 4 material, none of them are considered top pairing potential and the best goalie prospect was signed as an undrafted free agent.

This is largely how I see things.

You can hate on Bucky, but who else has the balls to call Regier on his ######? When asked where things went wrong, Darcy said you can't add free agents to a team without a foundation. He built the foundation! He added free agents to it!

You can hate on Bucky, but who else has the balls to call Regier on his ######? When asked where things went wrong, Darcy said you can't add free agents to a team without a foundation. He built the foundation! He added free agents to it!

So you're mad he's being realistic?

Huge difference between winning a trade/hitting on a couple of draft picks and BUILDING A TEAM. He sucks at the latter and should be canned within minutes of the last game of the season.

My worst nightmare(Regier being kept on) may be coming true. The Pominville trade does not appear to be the type of trade that an organization would allow a GM to pull off if they were going to fire him at the end of the season. It would be even more disappointing if they make Rolston the permananent coach.

:angry:

I have this vague sense that - following the Hodgson deal, the 2012 #1 draft picks, the NCAA signings (Porter, Flynn, that guy from Providence), the Wild prospect (Karlson is it?) - that Darcy has weirdly over-corrected for the system's long-simmering dearth of center prospects. It's as though in 3 years we'll be saying "Gee, sure would be nice if we had a scoring LW in the system."

I have this vague sense that - following the Hodgson deal, the 2012 #1 draft picks, the NCAA signings (Porter, Flynn, that guy from Providence), the Wild prospect (Karlson is it?) - that Darcy has weirdly over-corrected for the system's long-simmering dearth of center prospects. It's as though in 3 years we'll be saying "Gee, sure would be nice if we had a scoring LW in the system."

Brewin' for Drouin baby!!!

Good, I hope he continues to overcompensate until the position is solidified in reality, not in potential. I realize that not all centers can easily transition to wing (and some not at all, depending on skill set), but it's certainly easier and more common than the reverse.

Archived