Darcy Regier, do you trust him with the rebuild?

LGR4GM

DR and the Rebuild  

108 members have voted

1. 1. Do you trust Darcy Regier with the Sabres rebuild?

• Yes, he has proven that with his post pegula actions
    • Maybe, it will depend on this deadline and offseason
    • No, he has no clue what he is doing and needs to be fired yesterday

My worst nightmare(Regier being kept on) may be coming true. The Pominville trade does not appear to be the type of trade that an organization would allow a GM to pull off if they were going to fire him at the end of the season. It would be even more disappointing if they make Rolston the permananent coach.

:angry:

Whether fans trust DR or not, it's clear management does trust him. Darcy ain't goin' nowhere.

Oh some of us had "faith" in this team from the beginning. Sure, the two opening victories shook my convictions, but they are who I thought they were.

You should just point to your signature.

This team is where I thought they would be for some time now.

Sentiments of many echoed here: http://espn.go.com/blog/nhl/post/_/id/23219/the-deadline-who-got-better-who-got-worse

Buffalo Sabres

GM Darcy Regier might not be able to ice a winning hockey team but he sure knows how to handle himself on trade deadline day. A year ago he obtained Cody Hodgson and a first-round draft pick in various deals. This year he dealt captain Pominville to Minnesota for a top forward prospect in Larsson and a promising young goaltender in Hackett and another first-round pick in this June’s draft, along with a second round pick in 2014. Earlier, he had shipped veteran defenseman Robyn Regehr to Los Angeles for a pair of second-round picks. Will Regier be around next season to see what some of these assets might become? That’s a completely different story.

You can hate on Bucky, but who else has the balls to call Regier on his ######? When asked where things went wrong, Darcy said you can't add free agents to a team without a foundation. He built the foundation! He added free agents to it!

This is going to be the conversation until Regier is finally gone or wins big. Fans can give Regier credit for the return for Pominville, it has to be tempered by the reality that the necessity to trade Pominville was created by the poor job Regier did in building this team. The 2013 Buffalo Sabres are what you get with a "unshackled" Darcy Regier.

"Not be a force" =/= bottom 5 team. I don't think anyone foresaw how bad this team would be. Even angry Eleven expected a mediocre finish IIRC (ie. just miss playoffs).

http://forums.sabrespace.com/topic/21520-time-for-your-2013-predictions/page__st__40

It's all on tape!

Shoot me for Stafford and the Rangers! :lol:

Exactly how is this team significantly worse than when Pegula bought them? The year Pegula bought the team, it required a 16-4-4 finish to sneak into 7th place and lose in the first round of the playoffs. Last year the team went on a run at the end of the season and fell a few points short of the playoffs. This year we're in the same position -- we could go on a big run and make playoffs, or more likely we won't go on a big run and we'll wind up a handful of points short. So if we're basing the skill-level of the team on results, which is fair, then this team has neither improved nor regressed "significantly" since Pegula purchased it.

That doesn't mean it wasn't for lack of trying. You say you want a new decision maker. What benefits would a different GM have provided for us last summer? Would a different GM have not signed the second-best free agent available because he had some incredible foresight that Leino wouldn't be worth it? Would a different GM have not traded Derek Roy like everyone on this board has been clamoring for for upwards of four years now? You guys are quick to jump on Darcy because what he's doing isn't working, but you have to realize there simply aren't that many options available. A different GM doesn't mean we can suddenly trade for Sidney Crosby. A different GM doesn't mean suddenly there are tons of top notch UFA's for us to sign. And a different GM doesn't mean suddenly someone is going to give us a 1st round pick for TJ Brennan. Darcy is working with what he has to improve the team.

The Hodgson trade was easily the best trade Darcy has made since the 04-05 lockout. Kassian is now playing in the AHL while Hodgson is a #1 center with a bright future. This move also had Vanek and Pommer playing at world-class levels to start the season. This was the first time Vanek had a legit #1 center since Derek Roy's 80 point season and he was among league leaders in points and goals for the first several weeks. It's not a fluke that they played so well together. Hodgson is by far the most important piece of this team's future -- we wouldn't have him if Darcy didn't have the balls to trade our "top prospect" for him.

Additionally, Darcy has done pretty well drafting. Ennis, Myers, Foligno, Armia, Grigorenko, McCabe- the list goes on. And we also can't forget that Darcy traded UP to get Myers, got the Ennis pick for trading a overpaid Brian Campbell, and landed Nashville's first (Girgensons) for Paul Gaustad. Those were all good trades made with the team's future in mind.

So it's interesting to me that everyone says, "fire darcy because he can't choose the players" yet the same people want to "rebuild" around these guys that Darcy drafted? I guess he did do a pretty good job choosing the players if these are the guys you want to rebuild around, huh?

I know you guys are sick of hearing it but Darcy hasn't had enough time under Pegula. Obviously Terry's way of running things has made a difference, as Darcy has been more pro-active than ever before in trying to acquire good players. He's had two mediocre free agent classes to work with (but still wound up with two of the big name free agents, Ehrhoff and Leino). And now, courtesy of the new CBA, he'll have the option to buy out Leino at no real cost should he choose to this summer, thus negating the only "bad" move Darcy has made under Pegula (i don't think they buy out Leino personally though).

So where are we now? We're outside of the playoff picture, yes. But we have a #1 center, the most important piece of the puzzle, who is only going to get better moving forward. We have a ton of young talent, with Ennis, Foligno, Tropp, Armia, Grigorenko, Girgensons factoring into our forward ranks over the next few years, along with McNabb, Pysyk, McCabe, and maybe more in the pipeline on defense. We have a legit world-class goal scorer in Vanek, and maybe not the best, but still very solid all around RW in Pominville. A Top 10, arguably Top 5 goalie in the world in net. A nice injection of grit and energy with Steve Ott, Tropp, Foligno, Kaleta in the bottom six. Not to mention a nice allotment of picks (and probably more on the way) over the next 2-3 drafts. Scott and Gerbe I expect will be the odd men out and eventually be let go.

The thing is, everyone looks at the results this season and says oh it's finally time to blow it up and rebuild. Well Darcy is one step ahead of you. He has been "rebuilding" for years. that's what the draft is for. that's what the hodgson trade was all about, and grigorenko (gaustad). hell, that's what the Roy trade was about too. Unfortunately we haven't been lucky enough to have an elite UFA class for Darcy to pick through yet, but we will be reaping the benefits of good drafting and good trading before too long.

sorry if you disagree, i don't mean to sound snarky either, just stating my opinion. Darcy's body of work under Pegula is worthy of more time in my opinion. the team's body of work? not so much. But only so much of that can be blamed on Darcy.

To answer your question, the results never speak for themselves. there's always more to the story.

you, sir, have summed up my feelings for Darcy in one, great post. Pretty much the opposite of billy Madison's answer

I'm surprised Stafford is still a Sabre, but put down the Pominville deal as another good trade for Darcy. I didn't want them to trade any of the "big 3" but I'm excited about the return. When it was first reported that we got Larrson and Hacket I was unsure about it. Felt like a first rounder needed to be included. To get a first and a second? Didn't expect that.

Good, I hope he continues to overcompensate until the position is solidified in reality, not in potential. I realize that not all centers can easily transition to wing (and some not at all, depending on skill set), but it's certainly easier and more common than the reverse.

Larsson can play wing as well. Our only real centres who should stay centres are Hodgson and Grigo

I have this vague sense that - following the Hodgson deal, the 2012 #1 draft picks, the NCAA signings (Porter, Flynn, that guy from Providence), the Wild prospect (Karlson is it?) - that Darcy has weirdly over-corrected for the system's long-simmering dearth of center prospects. It's as though in 3 years we'll be saying "Gee, sure would be nice if we had a scoring LW in the system."

Well if you figure that you hit on 30-50% of the high end prospects, then getting 8-12 should result in having 4.

Larsson can play wing as well. Our only real centres who should stay centres are Hodgson and Grigo

If every prospect pans out, I'd imagine our top-9 would look something like this in a few years:

xxx-Grigorenko-Armia

Ennis-Hodgson-xxx

Foligno/Larsson-Girgensons-xxx

And we all know they're not all panning out. Right now we can be reasonably confident Hodgson and Ennis are top-6 players, and the rest is a crapshoot.

If every prospect pans out, I'd imagine our top-9 would look something like this in a few years:

xxx-Grigorenko-Armia

Ennis-Hodgson-xxx

Foligno/Larsson-Girgensons-xxx

And we all know they're not all panning out. Right now we can be reasonably confident Hodgson and Ennis are top-6 players, and the rest is a crapshoot.

And now we know why I'm, umm, let's say "annoyed." Because right now, it looks worse than it did at the end of July 2012. And it was fugly then. Here's to the three-year rebuild. That last sentence was NOT sarcastic.

Buffalo Sabres

GM Darcy Regier might not be able to ice a winning hockey team but he sure knows how to handle himself on trade deadline day.

Seems to be the feelings of some people around here, including my own.

Now that the deadline day has passed..

I'm fine with keeping Regier around for now. I wrote a lot to this email.. erased it.. wrote more.. and ultimately erased it.

There are those who are fine keeping Regier, those who think he's doing a good job but if he's gone no big deal, and those who want him gone no matter what just so they don't have to worry if he was the problem or not.

I'm not seeing any arguments that are changing minds.. so what's the point.

Now that the deadline day has passed..

I'm fine with keeping Regier around for now. I wrote a lot to this email.. erased it.. wrote more.. and ultimately erased it.

There are those who are fine keeping Regier, those who think he's doing a good job but if he's gone no big deal, and those who want him gone no matter what just so they don't have to worry if he was the problem or not.

I'm not seeing any arguments that are changing minds.. so what's the point.

And those that want him gone because 16 years of mostly ho hum has led to this team.

I fit into this category.

Make no mistake. The guy can do a deal. He makes out o.k. but I've heard about potential out my yin yang for the last 16 years and nothing seems to come to fruition. We are left with another failed attempt and the prospect of continuing the never ending rebuild.

well ive been harder on regier than usual due to this incredibly disappointment of a season, but i simply have to give him some props for what hes done at this deadline. it would have been awesome had he been able to get stafford moved, but even as it is he has stockpiled money and picks going into a unique period where a decreasing cap is going to mean teams desperate to offload some cap money

sure he got a couple prospects but more importantly hes got a ton of ammo to entice some team to trade big money production for free draft picks. theres no guarantee of course it will all work out, but you gotta admit hes put the sabres in a good spot for a quick turnaround. hey its better than watching the walking dead team weve endured the last few seasons. maybe we will finally get a few breaks and end up in much better shape faster than we expected. hey it could happen

My worst nightmare(Regier being kept on) may be coming true. The Pominville trade does not appear to be the type of trade that an organization would allow a GM to pull off if they were going to fire him at the end of the season. It would be even more disappointing if they make Rolston the permananent coach.

Why would you be disappointed if Rolston stayed on as coach?

Yup - Pegula isn't going to listen to anyone - not the writers, not the analysts, not the fans - who the vast majority say that Regier has outlived his stay in Buffalo and should have been canned years ago - many of whom have been saying this since before Pegula took over the team.

Pegula knows best - Pegula has isolated and insulated himself from criticism. Nope, Regier and the new locker rooms and the locker room floor will turn the tide. The downward slide of the team since Pegula has taken over is just a figment of everyone's imagination. lmao!!!

Why would you be disappointed if Rolston stayed on as coach?

What has he done that is deserving of having the interim tag removed? There is a huge pool of coaching candidates available every year, and I'm sure a lot of them have more impressive resume's than Rolston's which consists of coaching teenagers(head coaching experience) prior to coming to Rochester.

I feel a little better about Darcy making one more run at building a winner after he cut Lindy loose and made some tough calls at the trade deadline. Long-term, I don't think Darcy is the man for the job, but let's see how things pan out with the draft and if any deals are made over the summer. It will be a very different-looking team next season...

I want to be very clear this is not another excuse-Darcy post.

I want a new GM because I want my GM to be a great leader. Darcy is not a great leader.

I think he is a very capable trader. I think he has shown a good ability to draft.

But his best skill has been his ability to do exactly what ownership requires of him.

And that means this thread question is moot.

The more pertinent question is "Do you trust Pegula to give Darcy the right template for the rebuild?"

Because really, he is the one with the vision, he is the one in charge.

Darcy is steering the ship and I think he is OK in that job.

But it is Terry who is setting the course.

Archived