Darcy Regier, do you trust him with the rebuild?

LGR4GM

DR and the Rebuild  

108 members have voted

1. 1. Do you trust Darcy Regier with the Sabres rebuild?

• Yes, he has proven that with his post pegula actions
    • Maybe, it will depend on this deadline and offseason
    • No, he has no clue what he is doing and needs to be fired yesterday

It has been discussed and discarded, argued and ignored. I think I know how most people will respond but idc. I want to know if you think DR is capable of managing a successful rebuild. Rebuild meaning getting us back to top playoff team that is at least in the conversation of "well maybe they could make a run this year".

In his defense he has made some good trades recently. We flipped Roy and Kassian for Ott and Hodgson. Got Ehrhoff for the next years. He has done things and is currently in the process of possibly blowing this entire team up, so can he put it back together?

What say you? Incompetent? Maybe? Yes?

I voted yes. He's done nothing but good things since Pegula's purchase of the team. Other than the Brennan trade (which, really, pfft), Darcy has gotten the better end of every trade he's made. It sucks that Ville Leino probably won't ever live up to the contract he and Darcy signed, but at the time it was better than doing nothing. Brad Richards was the only better free agent that summer and I bet if you asked Rangers fans right now, a lot of them aren't very happy with their results either.

I still don't think we're in "rebuild" mode. So far we've unloaded two rental players -- not exactly "blowing it up." If they trade Pominville that would be a major move, but you can't really call it a rebuild if Vanek, Miller, Stafford, Gerbe, Hecht, Sekera, Weber are still on the roster. We'll see this summer, but my bet is if they trade Pominville he will be the only "core" player traded. (Not including Stafford in that "core" btw)

Its time to move on from Darcy Regier. Its too bad that there 3 cornerstone players are in there prime and now is the most opportune time to get the most for them..If he moves two of three without getting any real players of equal value back it will be as bad as losing Drury and Briere back in 07, only this time we wont have the talent of Pominville Vanek and Miller to fall back on and at least be almost average...Its kind of scary but we could be on the verge of actually becoming worse next yr than we are this year....

An emphatic no from me.

I voted yes. He's done nothing but good things since Pegula's purchase of the team. Other than the Brennan trade (which, really, pfft), Darcy has gotten the better end of every trade he's made. It sucks that Ville Leino probably won't ever live up to the contract he and Darcy signed, but at the time it was better than doing nothing. Brad Richards was the only better free agent that summer and I bet if you asked Rangers fans right now, a lot of them aren't very happy with their results either.

I still don't think we're in "rebuild" mode. So far we've unloaded two rental players -- not exactly "blowing it up." If they trade Pominville that would be a major move, but you can't really call it a rebuild if Vanek, Miller, Stafford, Gerbe, Hecht, Sekera, Weber are still on the roster. We'll see this summer, but my bet is if they trade Pominville he will be the only "core" player traded. (Not including Stafford in that "core" btw)

Very serious question, so please don't take this as snark: at what point do the results speak for themselves? For a guy who has gotten the better end of every trade, his team is significantly worse now than when Pegula bought the team. Regardless of how much you like individual moves, at what point does the team's place in the standings dictate that things are not working and a new decision-maker is required? Two more years without making the playoffs? Two more years without a playoff win? You've got to have some "line" in mind. My personal line was this year--a second consecutive year without the playoffs despite unlimited resources and time since Pegula took over to actually put them to use, and zero improvement in results since replacing the coach.

Huge difference between winning a trade/hitting on a couple of draft picks and BUILDING A TEAM. He sucks at the latter and should be canned within minutes of the last game of the season.

It's not the GMs job to build the team. That's the coaches job. GMs shop for talent. Coaches can give input there but have to make the parts work. Tyler Myers sucking is not Darcy's fault.

PTR

Very serious question, so please don't take this as snark: at what point do the results speak for themselves? For a guy who has gotten the better end of every trade, his team is significantly worse now than when Pegula bought the team. Regardless of how much you like individual moves, at what point does the team's place in the standings dictate that things are not working and a new decision-maker is required? Two more years without making the playoffs? Two more years without a playoff win? You've got to have some "line" in mind. My personal line was this year--a second consecutive year without the playoffs despite unlimited resources and time since Pegula took over to actually put them to use, and zero improvement in results since replacing the coach.

Exactly how is this team significantly worse than when Pegula bought them? The year Pegula bought the team, it required a 16-4-4 finish to sneak into 7th place and lose in the first round of the playoffs. Last year the team went on a run at the end of the season and fell a few points short of the playoffs. This year we're in the same position -- we could go on a big run and make playoffs, or more likely we won't go on a big run and we'll wind up a handful of points short. So if we're basing the skill-level of the team on results, which is fair, then this team has neither improved nor regressed "significantly" since Pegula purchased it.

That doesn't mean it wasn't for lack of trying. You say you want a new decision maker. What benefits would a different GM have provided for us last summer? Would a different GM have not signed the second-best free agent available because he had some incredible foresight that Leino wouldn't be worth it? Would a different GM have not traded Derek Roy like everyone on this board has been clamoring for for upwards of four years now? You guys are quick to jump on Darcy because what he's doing isn't working, but you have to realize there simply aren't that many options available. A different GM doesn't mean we can suddenly trade for Sidney Crosby. A different GM doesn't mean suddenly there are tons of top notch UFA's for us to sign. And a different GM doesn't mean suddenly someone is going to give us a 1st round pick for TJ Brennan. Darcy is working with what he has to improve the team.

The Hodgson trade was easily the best trade Darcy has made since the 04-05 lockout. Kassian is now playing in the AHL while Hodgson is a #1 center with a bright future. This move also had Vanek and Pommer playing at world-class levels to start the season. This was the first time Vanek had a legit #1 center since Derek Roy's 80 point season and he was among league leaders in points and goals for the first several weeks. It's not a fluke that they played so well together. Hodgson is by far the most important piece of this team's future -- we wouldn't have him if Darcy didn't have the balls to trade our "top prospect" for him.

Additionally, Darcy has done pretty well drafting. Ennis, Myers, Foligno, Armia, Grigorenko, McCabe- the list goes on. And we also can't forget that Darcy traded UP to get Myers, got the Ennis pick for trading a overpaid Brian Campbell, and landed Nashville's first (Girgensons) for Paul Gaustad. Those were all good trades made with the team's future in mind.

So it's interesting to me that everyone says, "fire darcy because he can't choose the players" yet the same people want to "rebuild" around these guys that Darcy drafted? I guess he did do a pretty good job choosing the players if these are the guys you want to rebuild around, huh?

I know you guys are sick of hearing it but Darcy hasn't had enough time under Pegula. Obviously Terry's way of running things has made a difference, as Darcy has been more pro-active than ever before in trying to acquire good players. He's had two mediocre free agent classes to work with (but still wound up with two of the big name free agents, Ehrhoff and Leino). And now, courtesy of the new CBA, he'll have the option to buy out Leino at no real cost should he choose to this summer, thus negating the only "bad" move Darcy has made under Pegula (i don't think they buy out Leino personally though).

So where are we now? We're outside of the playoff picture, yes. But we have a #1 center, the most important piece of the puzzle, who is only going to get better moving forward. We have a ton of young talent, with Ennis, Foligno, Tropp, Armia, Grigorenko, Girgensons factoring into our forward ranks over the next few years, along with McNabb, Pysyk, McCabe, and maybe more in the pipeline on defense. We have a legit world-class goal scorer in Vanek, and maybe not the best, but still very solid all around RW in Pominville. A Top 10, arguably Top 5 goalie in the world in net. A nice injection of grit and energy with Steve Ott, Tropp, Foligno, Kaleta in the bottom six. Not to mention a nice allotment of picks (and probably more on the way) over the next 2-3 drafts. Scott and Gerbe I expect will be the odd men out and eventually be let go.

The thing is, everyone looks at the results this season and says oh it's finally time to blow it up and rebuild. Well Darcy is one step ahead of you. He has been "rebuilding" for years. that's what the draft is for. that's what the hodgson trade was all about, and grigorenko (gaustad). hell, that's what the Roy trade was about too. Unfortunately we haven't been lucky enough to have an elite UFA class for Darcy to pick through yet, but we will be reaping the benefits of good drafting and good trading before too long.

sorry if you disagree, i don't mean to sound snarky either, just stating my opinion. Darcy's body of work under Pegula is worthy of more time in my opinion. the team's body of work? not so much. But only so much of that can be blamed on Darcy.

To answer your question, the results never speak for themselves. there's always more to the story.

11's not getting traded. Used to be no captains got traded from the Sabres. Just another thing Ruff ruined.

Shouldn't have taken that as an implication he would be. We'll miss you. I just hope we get more than just picks for you. We'll need a new high motor guy as well. ;)

Archived