2013-2014 Roster Projection Thoughts

qwksndmonster

Okay so he plays in Rochester. This makes him as a call up or #7 defender even more likely. You can play him in Rochester 20mins a night until someone gets injured and there you go.

Finally, the light clicks on. He WON'T be the #7 D-man. IF he doesn't make the top 6, he ends up in Ra-cha-cha, NOT #7. He ends up top 6, or #8.

Finally, the light clicks on. He WON'T be the #7 D-man. IF he doesn't make the top 6, he ends up in Ra-cha-cha, NOT #7. He ends up top 6, or #8.

Thanks for being civil this morning. O and that's sarcasm.

miss 1 ###### news release out of the last 1000 and ###### you very much it is.

Okay so he plays in Rochester. This makes him as a call up or #7 defender even more likely. You can play him in Rochester 20mins a night until someone gets injured and there you go.

Okay well I disagree. I think we see a defenseman traded. If Risto can be in Rochester than he can be called up easily.

Finally... it isn't about MUST BE IN THE LINEUP. It is about developing guys this year. This year will suck if you want playoff runs but will be great if you go in thinking about players development.

:wallbash:

It IS about must be in the lineup IF you want to develop him this year. It is NOT about must be in the SABRES' lineup. He can be in the Amerks' lineup, but he MUST be in A lineup. YOU CAN'T DEVELOP A PLAYER WITHOUT HAVING HIM PLAY.

It IS about must be in the lineup IF you want to develop him this year. It is NOT about must be in the SABRES' lineup. He can be in the Amerks' lineup, but he MUST be in A lineup. YOU CAN'T DEVELOP A PLAYER WITHOUT HAVING HIM PLAY.

Yea... keyword "GUYS" not "Ristolainen" but thanks for playing.

The post of yours that I replied to initially stated that Ristolainen could be the #7 defenseman. That is flat out wrong. He won't be. If he starts in the top 6, he would only be 7 for a couple of games before he's made 6 or 8 again. If he misses the top 6, he's 8 (or lower) and he's not back up until he's top 6 - whether it's due to injury or him improving.

And, they are NOT playing 7 D in games on a regular basis this year.

Yea... keyword "GUYS" not "Ristolainen" but thanks for playing.

Don't you even read what you write?

Rasmus Ristolainen either beats him outright or is the 7th man who eventually becomes a permanent top 6 after injuries.

FYI I really see a trade coming before this season starts or shortly after it does. We have way to many defensemen floating around.

RISTOLAINEN is the one YOU said would be #7.

The post of yours that I replied to initially stated that Ristolainen could be the #7 defenseman. That is flat out wrong. He won't be. If he starts in the top 6, he would only be 7 for a couple of games before he's made 6 or 8 again. If he misses the top 6, he's 8 (or lower) and he's not back up until he's top 6 - whether it's due to injury or him improving.

And, they are NOT playing 7 D in games on a regular basis this year.

Don't you even read what you write?

RISTOLAINEN is the one YOU said would be #7.

Okay stop being an ######. Blitz sent me the link to something that I missed over the weekend. That being that Ristolainen could indeed play in Rochester this season. After which I said okay, he can play 20 mins a night in Rochester.

I then, if you bothered to re read the ###### you are quoting, say this year is about developing guys. This was a direct QUOTE of YOU saying this sentence "This collection of D the Sabres have assembled DON'T have 10 guys with levels of skill screaming that they must be in the lineup." So that leaves roughly 5 guys or so who do not have the "skill" to "must" be in the lineup. That would include players other than Ristolainen.

I'll give you a timeline because following a conversation seems much to difficult. Let me go get the quotes so you can see how I missed a report and you have proceeded to drag this out.

Rasmus Ristolainen either beats him outright or is the 7th man who eventually becomes a permanent top 6 after injuries.

FYI I really see a trade coming before this season starts or shortly after it does. We have way to many defensemen floating around.

There is no f'n way that Ristolainen ends up the #7 D-man this season. He's either in the top 6 or he's down on the farm playing every night. He could miss a couple of games here and there if they want him to watch something in particular; but he isn't a night in-night out healthy scratch.

What is your definition of "shortly after" the season starts? It is extremely unlikely that there is a trade in mid-October or November. DR almost never makes moves at that point in the season. If your definition includes February, then perhaps a D-man will be moved "shortly after" the season starts.

If by down on the farm you mean Finland than yes.

Shortly after the season starts to me, means within the first 2 months. Usually we see a couple of trades within that window and it is not out of the realm of possibility that we trade one of our defenders. I think what is going on right now is that we have Sulzer (insurance option), Rhuwedel, Pysyk, McBain, Ristolainen all in the category of might be NHL this season. That is 4 guys for 2 spots. I think that Rhuwedel goes to Rochester. I think McBain will probably start the season here along with Pysyk and Ristolainen will be given his shot while Sulzer rides the bench.

Myers, Ehrhoff, Tallinder, Weber are locks. Pysk and McBain are probably your other 2 with Ristolainen dressing most nights and they run 7 defenders and ease Risto into the lineup. Sulzer is healthy scratched until someone goes into the dog house or there is an injury.

That PHT link is old news, Here's an update with the ELC signing: http://forums.sabres...120#entry497468

1st off, he's not going back to Finland - that rumor has been debunked. 2nd off, he's not the #7 D-man under any circumstance and they are NOT running with 7 D-men most nights. The forwards are currently lacking in certain areas, but there is no ###### way they are running 11 forwards most nights.

This collection of D the Sabres have assembled DON'T have 10 guys with levels of skill screaming that they must be in the lineup. There are 3 locks and another guy that would have been a lock a couple of years ago (and essentially is a lock because he becomes only the 2nd veteran amongst them) and a few that hopefully will be locks in a year or 2. But right now, there is no reason to be running 7 D night in, night out.

And we DON'T "usually see a couple of trades" at the beginning of the season made BY Darcy Regier. He's only made a handful of trades at that time of the year in his entire tenure. Tigers don't readily change their stripes for spots; it is unlikely that DR is going for the spotted vest this season.

Okay well I disagree. I think we see a defenseman traded. If Risto can be in Rochester than he can be called up easily.

Finally... it isn't about MUST BE IN THE LINEUP. It is about developing guys this year. This year will suck if you want playoff runs but will be great if you go in thinking about players development.

Here is your timeline of posts. Blitz was kind enough to let me know about the clarification on Risto's contract. A valuable piece of information I did not have until 9:07am at which point I said he can then go to rochester and I proceed to discuss development of "guys" which to spell it out refers to Pysyk, McBain, Myers, and yes also Ristolainen

Okay stop being an ######. Blitz sent me the link to something that I missed over the weekend. That being that Ristolainen could indeed play in Rochester this season. After which I said okay, he can play 20 mins a night in Rochester.

I then, if you bothered to re read the ###### you are quoting, say this year is about developing guys. This was a direct QUOTE of YOU saying this sentence "This collection of D the Sabres have assembled DON'T have 10 guys with levels of skill screaming that they must be in the lineup." So that leaves roughly 5 guys or so who do not have the "skill" to "must" be in the lineup. That would include players other than Ristolainen.

I'll give you a timeline because following a conversation seems much to difficult. Let me go get the quotes so you can see how I missed a report and you have proceeded to drag this out.

So, you admit that what you post is ######. ;)

Ristolainen in 2013/2014 [sic] is not, and never was going to be, the #7 D-man. Even if the alternative to being #7 meant going back to Finland. The kid is only 18. Playing in Finland would be better for his progress than sitting in a pressbox. And, your suggestion that they'd play 7 D this year, RATHER than send him back to Finland is not very likely (to put it kindly).

[EDIT]

And once AGAIN, I ask whether you even read what you write here. I've bolded the portion which makes me believe that the answer to that is 'no.'

You stated that you believe that even with Ra-cha-cha an option that he could end up the #7 D. That isn't going to happen.

PLEASE read what you write before you post.

Vanek - Hodgson - Horton*

Ennis - Bozak* - Stafford

Larsson - Grigorenko - Leino

Foligno - Ott - Tropp

Extra: Gerbe

Myers - White

Ehrhoff - Sekera

Weber - Pysyk

Extra: Sulzer, Pardy

Miller

Enroth/Hackett

L1: Vanek - Hodgson - Stafford

L2: Ennis - Grigorenko - Armia

L3: Foligno - Ott - Tropp

L4: Leino - Porter - Kaleta

Scratch: John Scott

Call up: Girgensons, Flynn, Ellis

D1: Myers - Tallinder

D2: Ehrhoff - Ristolainen

D3: Weber - McBain

Scratch: Sulzer

Call up: Pysyk, Ruhwedel, McNabb

Starter G: Miller

Backup G: Enroth

Call up: Hackett

How exciting.

Well maybe I was thinking of the year before. But I know he has the ability...or had it. Ehrhoff (or Errorhoff as some have called him) didn't play that well either. Both will have to step it up.

Ehrhoff was great last year, particularly when you consider how bad the forwards were defensively and who he was paired with regularly.

Ehrhoff was great last year, particularly when you consider how bad the forwards were defensively and who he was paired with regularly.

At times he was good, at other times adequate. He was never "great" last season IMO. BTW I didn't give him that 'Errorhoff' moniker, so I'm not alone in my opinion.

BTW Taro, LGR4GM, you guys having fun yet?

L1: Vanek - Hodgson - Stafford

L2: Ennis - Grigorenko - Armia

L3: Foligno - Ott - Tropp

L4: Leino - Porter - Kaleta

Scratch: John Scott

Call up: Girgensons, Flynn, Ellis

If I'm Ron Ron, I'm putting at least one guy on each line that's knows where the D zone is. Drew freaking Stafford is the only guy in the top six that qualifies as this and that is down right scary.

I would guess

Ennis - Hodgson - Vanek

Leino - Grigorenko - Ott

Foligno - Larsson - Armia (Checking line that doesn't get high responsibility aka sheltered minutes)

Scott? - Porter? - Flynn? Kaleta?

I'd flip Leino and Ennis.. That EHV line scares me.. I'd like to see Vanek's time in the O zone maximized. Leino helps with that (if he plays this year)

Leino - Hodgson - Vanek

Ennis - Grigorenko - Ott (I hope someone on the UFA/RFA can come in here and center this line, but I'm not expecting it)

below this

any combination of Foligno - Larsson - Armia - Girgenson - Scott - Porter - Flynn Kaleta that has chemistry and is healthly enough to play.

I would guess

Ennis - Hodgson - Vanek

Leino - Grigorenko - Ott

Foligno - Larsson - Armia (Checking line that doesn't get high responsibility aka sheltered minutes)

Alright I'm confused. The checking line has arguably the most responsibility--tough defensive minutes against the other team's best offensive players. Sheltered minutes tend to go to a team's #2 scoring line, because the checking line faces the toughest offensive competition and the #1 scoring line matches up against the other team's best defensive pairing. Of course, unless Larsson takes the ball and runs with it, the Sabres don't have the personnel for a real checking line...but that's besides the point.

If you look at Vanek, Ennis, Leino, Stafford, Ott, Kaleta, and Hodgson (the forwards on the team who played in the NHL during the 2010-2011 season) and average the last three years for their goals per game, they should score, around, 125 goals combined this year. That means the other 11 skaters have to all score 10 goals a piece for us to even be competitive.

Suffering.

If you look at Vanek, Ennis, Leino, Stafford, Ott, Kaleta, and Hodgson (the forwards on the team who played in the NHL during the 2010-2011 season) and average the last three years for their goals per game, they should score, around, 125 goals combined this year. That means the other 11 skaters have to all score 10 goals a piece for us to even be competitive.

Suffering.

Who needs scoring? Gimme some guys who can hit!

Ugh.

Alright I'm confused. The checking line has arguably the most responsibility--tough defensive minutes against the other team's best offensive players. Sheltered minutes tend to go to a team's #2 scoring line, because the checking line faces the toughest offensive competition and the #1 scoring line matches up against the other team's best defensive pairing. Of course, unless Larsson takes the ball and runs with it, the Sabres don't have the personnel for a real checking line...but that's besides the point.

Typicallythe 3rd line is the shutdown with the 4th line getting the least amount of minutes.

that would depend on the coach but traditionally yes. Are issue is no matter what the matchups we have all young centers who need sheltered minutes.

To expand on that comment more... our centers are going to be something along the lines of Hodgson, Grigorenko, Porter, Foligno maybe, Larsson maybe, Girgensons maybe... if you combine everyone not named Hodgson they have a combined total of roughly 60games of center experience in the NHL. We are going to have to except not having a traditional shut down line for at least another year.

Who needs scoring? Gimme some guys who can hit!

Ugh.

Vanek, Ennis, and Stafford are our top 3 in goal scoring (and the only players on the roster who have averaged more than 1 goal every 4 games played during the past 3 seasons.) If we trade Vanek and Stafford, Tyler Ennis will be our #1 forward. we might not score 100 goals all season.

I would guess

Ennis - Hodgson - Vanek

Leino - Grigorenko - Ott

Have Vanek and Ott played on the right side before, though? I really can't recall. I'm sure it wouldn't be too hard to switch over for a guy whos played hockey his whole life, but on the same token I donno if 30 is the best age to learn a new position. Fill me in if either have experience as RW.

I also think Tropp has a better chance of making the roster than Flynn and probably Porter, but Porter might have an edge since he's a center.

How about the Sabres go after RFA Kadri to center the second line? What would be the price? Sure would stir up some interesting hate north of the border.

As insane as it sounds, it might not be that far-fetched. Well, OK, it's still preeettty far-fetched, but the Leafs do only have about 10 mil in cap room to sign Kadri, Franson, Gunnarson and Fraser. They'll do whatever it takes to hang on to Kadri and really shouldn't have a problem fiitting those guys under the cap, but if we were to offer-sheet him with a big money deal (5mil or so), it would certainly force Nonis to make some decisions. I don't know how much sense it would make for Buffalo to be forfeiting draft picks at this point (compensation was a 1st & 3rd last year for ~5 mil, but I couldn't find the compensation w/ new CBA), or whether it makes sense to add another centerman who already/eventually belongs in the Top 6, but he would be a player I'd be happy to have. Likelihood of it happening? Probably 0.002%.

Maybe that's where the Vanek domino eventually falls... they'd have a week to work out a trade after Kadri accepted the offer sheet. Imagine Vanek and Kessel on the same line :flirt:

Have Vanek and Ott played on the right side before, though? I really can't recall. I'm sure it wouldn't be too hard to switch over for a guy whos played hockey his whole life, but on the same token I donno if 30 is the best age to learn a new position. Fill me in if either have experience as RW.

Leino and Ott were a line combo with Gigorenko last season during camp prior to Leino's injury, it may have been Leino on the right side though.

Archived