2013-2014 Roster Projection Thoughts

qwksndmonster

I see this list and I think: "okay, Sekera can be traded."

Indeed, I see Sekera, McNabb, and Sulzer as trade bait...and I would be happy to add Myers as well.

No need to exclude Ehrhoff. He's 31 going into this season, he would be more effective on a contending team. I think with the Sabres having already paid the bulk of the contract that he would draw a lot of interest.

Wowee do we need more grit on the back end.

It seems to be Regier's achilles heal. Even the physical blueliners they brought in via trade(Regehr & Rivet) didn't work out. They really cannot go into the season with Weber being the only physical presence on the blueline...or can they? I don't give a ###### if they can fight or not, I just want to know that when my goalie(or any teammate for that matter) gets runs, you will drop the gloves and get into the scrum without thinking about if you are going to get your a$$ kicked.

It seems to be Regier's achilles heal. Even the physical blueliners they brought in via trade(Regehr & Rivet) didn't work out. They really cannot go into the season with Weber being the only physical presence on the blueline...or can they? I don't give a ###### if they can fight or not, I just want to know that when my goalie(or any teammate for that matter) gets runs, you will drop the gloves and get into the scrum without thinking about if you are going to get your a$$ kicked.

Santini... the magical answer is Santini. 6'3" 207lbs and considered the best shutdown defender in this draft class. Also he has an aggressive side.

http://lastwordonsports.com/2013/05/20/steven-santini-2013-nhl-draft-player-profile-39/

As for the rest of your points, I think one of the reasons are defense has been so iffy over the last couple years is to much emphasis on puck movers and not enough on actually playing defense. I agree we need at least another guy under the age of 28 who if you touch Miller or Enroth or whoever, they will be more like this...

Santini... the magical answer is Santini. 6'3" 207lbs and considered the best shutdown defender in this draft class. Also he has an aggressive side.

http://lastwordonspo...yer-profile-39/

As for the rest of your points, I think one of the reasons are defense has been so iffy over the last couple years is to much emphasis on puck movers and not enough on actually playing defense. I agree we need at least another guy under the age of 28 who if you touch Miller or Enroth or whoever, they will be more like this...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YmMRaUX-QSM

Two drafts ago an author at HockeyProspectus warned of overvaluing the performance of guys who were more physically developed than most of their opponents. I think that is excellent advice. Santini plays in the USHL, correct? That seems to have worked so far with Girgs but there is a bigger risk that guys like Santini, who are in lesser leagues, won't have abilities that relate well in the pros. That is why he is further down the list than guys like Nurse and Risto. If Nurse is there at 8 I want him.

Two drafts ago an author at HockeyProspectus warned of overvaluing the performance of guys who were more physically developed than most of their opponents. I think that is excellent advice. Santini plays in the USHL, correct? That seems to have worked so far with Girgs but there is a bigger risk that guys like Santini, who are in lesser leagues, won't have abilities that relate well in the pros. That is why he is further down the list than guys like Nurse and Risto. If Nurse is there at 8 I want him.

Who the hell said anything about Santini at 8? I certainly didn't nor ever would. I was thinking if he was there at 38 he would be a good 2nd round pickup.

Regehr definitely worked out. Darcy got Regehr, Kotalik, and a 2nd for Butler and Byron, then flipped him for 2 2nds. Basically got 3 2nds and 1.5 seasons of Regehr for Butler and Byron. Regehr played decent to well over his time here and was dealt to a contender because we're looking to suffer. I definitely blame Darcy for not drafting more size on the back end recently.

Who the hell said anything about Santini at 8? I certainly didn't nor ever would. I was thinking if he was there at 38 he would be a good 2nd round pickup.

Noone did. And I wasn't implying it either. I was reacting to the idea of waiting for Santini to get your tough D-man. There is more risk that way. But I kinow you know that.

Noone did. And I wasn't implying it either. I was reacting to the idea of waiting for Santini to get your tough D-man. There is more risk that way. But I kinow you know that.

o my bad than, and yes very risky, I hope McCabe and McNabb become tough guys.

o my bad than, and yes very risky, I hope McCabe and McNabb become tough guys.

I was hoping someone would mention Santini. I happen to know him and his family. Dad owns a rink in Brewster, NY and was was the captain of the U Maine hockey team. Great family...great kid and player. Really hoping the Sabres pick him up in the 2nd round (hopefully he's still there). The team that gets him will get a player who will be a steady lock down defenseman for the next decade. He's strong, has good size, great hockey IQ, very smart...not flashy offensively. Reminds me of Bill Hajt.

I was hoping someone would mention Santini. I happen to know him and his family. Dad owns a rink in Brewster, NY and was was the captain of the U Maine hockey team. Great family...great kid and player. Really hoping the Sabres pick him up in the 2nd round (hopefully he's still there). The team that gets him will get a player who will be a steady lock down defenseman for the next decade. He's strong, has good size, great hockey IQ, very smart...not flashy offensively. Reminds me of Bill Hajt.

I will say I really like what I have seen in his videos and what I have read. Thanks for insight as well. The only thing is with his lack of offensive potential I can't see us taking him at 16. I really feel like it would be 38 if he is there. Either way this kid has a good career in front of him.

I will say I really like what I have seen in his videos and what I have read. Thanks for insight as well. The only thing is with his lack of offensive potential I can't see us taking him at 16. I really feel like it would be 38 if he is there. Either way this kid has a good career in front of him.

16 probably is too high...he's not a sexy pick...but he's going to have a great career.

16 probably is too high...he's not a sexy pick...but he's going to have a great career.

If he were odds on to have a long NHL career he would be a slam dunk 1st round choice.

Just sayin'....

• 2 weeks later...

May be as many as 6 rookies in the lineup this season.

I expect we'll see something along these lines.

Vanek-Hodgson-Armia

Ennis-Grigorenko-Stafford

Ott-Larsson- Leino

Scott-Foligno-Kaleta

Ehrhoff, Myers, Weber, Pysyk, McNabb, Ristohoweveritsspelled, almost forgot to add McBain

Gonna remain optimistic and call the goalies Enroth, Hackett

That 2nd line would be brutal. And I am expecting the Foligno as 4th line center experiment continues. We have too many LW's and not enough RW's. Leino and Foligno are out of position. Maybe Stafford and Armia get flipped.

Archived