2013-2014 Roster Projection Thoughts

qwksndmonster

They're either in the top six or in the juiniors/minors.

I agree wholeheartedly.

Signed,

Tyler Seguin

:P

p.s. It's a serious point I'm mulling. Boston had no trouble moving one of their top prospects up and down lines 1 through 4. As an abstract matter, why can't the Sabres? (And, yes, I know: We don't have the personnel that the Bruins have. Still.)

I agree wholeheartedly.

Signed,

Tyler Seguin

p.s. It's a serious point I'm mulling. Boston had no trouble moving one of their top prospects up and down lines 1 through 4. As an abstract matter, why can't the Sabres? (And, yes, I know: We don't have the personnel that the Bruins have. Still.)

In the abstract, sure it's possible. Given the bolded, it just doesn't make any sense to me.

I agree wholeheartedly.

Signed,

Tyler Seguin

In Seguin's sophomore season he spent 66% of his even strength time on Bergeron's wing, this year it was 73%. The next closest forward linemates for him were Lucic at 24% in his sophomore year, and Krejci at 10% last year. Doesn't appear to be a whole lot of moving up and down the roster to me ;)

In Seguin's sophomore season he spent 66% of his even strength time on Bergeron's wing, this year it was 73%. The next closest forward linemates for him were Lucic at 24% in his sophomore year, and Krejci at 10% last year. Doesn't appear to be a whole lot of moving up and down the roster to me ;)

Oooooooh! Look at you with your information and your data and your iron clad numbers.

Me? I was working off anecdotal recollections of inflammatory news reports about how Seguin was getting demoted to the third line and then to the fourth line. THAT HAPPENED, BLUE. That happened.

Oooooooh! Look at you with your information and your data and your iron clad numbers.

Me? I was working off anecdotal recollections of inflammatory news reports about how Seguin was getting demoted to the third line and then to the fourth line. THAT HAPPENED, BLUE. That happened.

Don't try to argue with him. All he does is hide behind his "reality" and "documented evidence"

Srsly, though.

Seguin for sure was a sometimes healthy scratch in his first year with the big club. In his second year, there was plenty of "third line" duty. And then this past year, he was regularly characterized as being on the 3rd and even 4th lines.

Does that suggest that the Sabres could deal similarly with their young prized prospects? Or does the fact that we otherwise suck sorta weigh against that, both in principle and as a practical matter?

Srsly, though.

Seguin for sure was a sometimes healthy scratch in his first year with the big club. In his second year, there was plenty of "third line" duty. And then this past year, he was regularly characterized as being on the 3rd and even 4th lines.

Does that suggest that the Sabres could deal similarly with their young prized prospects? Or does the fact that we otherwise suck sorta weigh against that, both in principle and as a practical matter?

IMHO,

Girgensons, Larsson, and possibly Armia could handle 3rd and 4th line duty. I just think where Grigs is in his development and overall ice awareness, playing him in anything but sheltered offensive zone ice time would be a complete waste.

IMHO,

Girgensons, Larsson, and possibly Armia could handle 3rd and 4th line duty. I just think where Grigs is in his development and overall ice awareness, playing him in anything but sheltered offensive zone ice time would be a complete waste.

I get that, and agree. Grigorenko is sort of a unique animal in that regard -- feed him the slanted ice with talented linemates or don't play him at all.

Srsly, though.

You're not wrong, these things did happen, and I expect it to happen to most young players. It's just how much they happened versus the alternative (being on one of the top two lines) has been blown way out of proportion.

Don't try to argue with him. All he does is hide behind his "reality" and "documented evidence"

Good stuff boys. I'm counting on plenty more of this to ease the pain.

Here is how I'm predicting the lines will shake out after 25 games or so:

Hodgson-Vanek-Leino

Girgensons-Ennis-Stafford

Porter-Foligno-Ott

Larsson-Kaleta-Scott/Tropp

Armia -- Rochester

Griggy -- healthy scratch and thinking hard about the KHL

They're either in the top six or in the juiniors/minors. Playing 6 or 7 minutes per game isn't going to help them

Sure it will. If they show some real talent and drive in those minutes they will get a shot at more time. That's how it works...or how it's supposed to work.

Here is how I'm predicting the lines will shake out after 25 games or so:

Hodgson-Vanek-Leino

Girgensons-Ennis-Stafford

Porter-Foligno-Ott

Larsson-Kaleta-Scott/Tropp

Armia -- Rochester

That might not be half bad.

It might not be half good either. :P

To me regardless of how the lines are composed is how these guys will be used or not: Joel Armia, Bryan Flynn, and Corey Tropp. I find them all intriguing because Flynn and Tropp have played reasonable well in sheltered situations in Buffalo. Armia is our top RW prospect. All 3 of these guys will probably find themselves in the lineup at some point this season. If they do, I expect some good things from them.

We have one traditional first-liner: Vanek

We have four legitimate second-liners: Leino, Stafford, Ennis and Hodgson

We have one prototype third-liner: Ott

And three good fourth-liners: Kaleta, Porter, Scott

Can Ennis and Hodgson become first-liners?

How do Grigorenko, Foligno, Tropp and Flynn fit in?

Are Armia, Larsson, Girgensons and Adam (sorry, but he's resigned and in the mix) able to contribute?

So many questions up front.

It will be interesting to see who steps up and how Rolston stitches it all together.

We'll all need to be here for each other, I sense. Especially if this comes to pass:

Armia -- Rochester

Seriously. Our #1 Center of the future thinking about the KHL? Blechk.

We'll all need to be here for each other, I sense. Especially if this comes to pass:

Seriously. Our #1 Center of the future thinking about the KHL? Blechk.

They can't let that happen

I'm not writing the kid off -- it's far too early for that -- but I am pretty skeptical that we're going to see anything noteworthy out of him this year. He had plenty of chances last year and didn't do a single GD thing. And I don't want to hear about who he was playing with. He had enough chances to show something. And it sounded like he had a pretty nondescript prospects camp too.

I'm not writing the kid off -- it's far too early for that -- but I am pretty skeptical that we're going to see anything noteworthy out of him this year. He had plenty of chances last year and didn't do a single GD thing. And I don't want to hear about who he was playing with. He had enough chances to show something. And it sounded like he had a pretty nondescript prospects camp too.

I couldn't have said it better myself. Almost every forward propect looked better than him during the scrimmage and this is including scrubs like Jonathan Parker and the like. He better explode onto the scene in October.

I miss the days where we had to wait until a kid was at least 25-30 before starting to say these kind of things. Now with the cap and the requirement for young talent to contribute almost immediately, we've now lowered the bar to 19. It's crazy how this league has changed.

I miss the days where we had to wait until a kid was at least 25-30 before starting to say these kind of things. Now with the cap and the requirement for young talent to contribute almost immediately, we've now lowered the bar to 19. It's crazy how this league has changed.

Quite fookin' true.

We're also in a bit of a peculiar spot -- the team being as bad as it is needs its young prized prospects to deliver now more (much more) than a lot of other teams in the league (although, as you say, all of the teams have varying levels of need for that sort of contribution).

Well, I agree that it's a league-wide phenomenon. Still, it has felt to me since they drafted this kid like the Sabres painted themselves into a corner on him out of desperation -- i.e. he was the one who dropped in the draft due to attitude questions, but they took him because they were dying for a good center. Then they kept him up at the NHL, even though he didn't show anything during his 8-game (or however many games it was) tryout -- even getting healthy-scratched for 1 or 2 of them IIRC -- again seemingly out of desperation.

Now they again are in a situation where they still can't send him to the AHL, which is where he belongs, and they've announced that he's going to be in the NHL. Why make that announcement? Why not let him earn it? Have they run out of motivational ideas?

This might have been the best route to take -- perhaps due to lack of options -- but it hasn't resulted in a viable NHL player -- at least not yet. I think we are kidding ourselves if we think he's going to be a top-2 NHL center this year.

Archived