2013-2014 Roster Projection Thoughts

qwksndmonster

So apparently Friedman said the Isles would be willing to move assets for a team to take DiPietro's contract off their hands. I know we've speculated about a Miller to Philly deal to rid them of Bryzgalov's contract, but I think the Isles make more sense. Let's face it, Philly doesn't need our help to buy out that contract, so it would be dumb of them to sell assets for us to take it. The Isles have some nice assets and given their play this year, they might not be on Miller's no trade list. Nielson would give us a legit 3rd line center, while Niederreiter would give us another prospect to try to replace Pommer. DiPietro's contract, Niederreiter, Nielson and a 1st for Miller. Maybe the first conditional on Miller signing an extension. Does this make a lot of sense for both teams to anyone else?

I guess my main question is what can we do that the isles can't? Teams can't bury salary in the AHL any more, it'll still come off the cap. If we're saying we'll buy him out, why can't the Isles buy him out just as easily? I can't imagine we actually want him as a player, right?

I'm really asking.

Via capgeek.com

Teams have the ability to buy out contracts at a reduced cap hit from June 15 to 30 each year. They are also allowed two compliance buyouts in June 2013 and June 2014 that cost the team actual cash but have no salary cap consequences.

The thought process is that the Islanders don't want to spend the actual cash. How this leads to them taking a huge contract in Miller, I don't get. If I was the Islanders, I'd be thinking Emery, LaBarbera, or Khabibulin, each at about 2m. I'd also be thinking about Leggio as the backup.

Via capgeek.com

Teams have the ability to buy out contracts at a reduced cap hit from June 15 to 30 each year. They are also allowed two compliance buyouts in June 2013 and June 2014 that cost the team actual cash but have no salary cap consequences.

The thought process is that the Islanders don't want to spend the actual cash. How this leads to them taking a huge contract in Miller, I don't get. If I was the Islanders, I'd be thinking Emery, LaBarbera, or Khabibulin, each at about 2m. I'd also be thinking about Leggio as the backup.

We give them Miller who is only getting 6.25mil for one more year and then we get X and Di Pietro who we buy out meaning in the long term they save lots of money with Di Pietro signed through 2021. However I am not sure with him on IR like he was if he can be bought out.

Via capgeek.com

Because Miller is an actual player who would make real contributions to the team, unlike DiPietro's contract? He's also not under contract until the end of time. And as an added bonus, he'd be a significant upgrade over Nabokov. Lastly, Miller is a marketable name, which would be nice to add to Tavares when the team moves to Brooklyn (Wang has also alluded to the fact he'll spend more money because of the Brooklyn deal, but I'll believe that when I see it).

And if you'd be thinking about bringing in Leggio as a backup, you may be better off not thinking at all :P

I've been saying Miller to the Isles make sense for a while. They're an emerging team that needs a competent NHL goaltender to get to another level. If they had Miller instead of Nabokov this year they likely would have beaten the Pens.

Your idea makes good sense to me for both teams.

Miller for Niedereiter and De Haan would be a very Darcy trade.

@HockeyyInsiderr:25m

NEW ARTICLE via @BuffaloSabres writer @BufCurtisM29 at http://www.insiderrumors.com/2013/no-team/buffalo-sabres-projected-depth-chart/ "#Buffalo #Sabres projected depth chart"

Another projected roster from some guy, I don't agree with it for the most part besides the moving of Stafford and Miller, what do you guys think?

It is a reasonable roster given that Darcy indicated they won't dabble much in the FA market.

If a winger gets traded from Buffalo my money is on that winger being Vanek, not Stafford. I doubt there is much of a market for Drew Stafford unfortunately. Also unfortunately it makes a top line of Foligno-Hodgson-Stafford a real possibility.

Even with Vanek in and Stafford out that is a race to the bottom lineup.

NEW ARTICLE via @BuffaloSabres writer @BufCurtisM29 at http://www.insiderrumors.com/2013/no-team/buffalo-sabres-projected-depth-chart/ "#Buffalo #Sabres projected depth chart"

Another projected roster from some guy, I don't agree with it for the most part besides the moving of Stafford and Miller, what do you guys think?

I think he needs a proof-reader.

"Ennis is a nifty player, but just doesn’t win enough battles, and is a defensive reliability"

Reliably what? :lol:

Yeah it stinks. Calling Myers the worst player on the roster last year with a chance and being bought out and out of work? Holy exaggeration batman. He puts together a roster that again fails to address the fact that they have no defensive forward lines. Also, Sulzer on the top d pair? He's not good, at all. Get Flynn and Porter off this roster if they want to be a contender. If they just want to squeak into the playoffs to get manhandled by a real team, then keeps those guys around.

Alright. Here's a try for the suffering path:

PHI gets Miller, 2nd - BUF gets Couturier, 11 (My favoritest trade evurr)

EDM gets Vanek - BUF gets 7, Pitlick (C prospect http://www.hockeysfuture.com/prospects/tyler_pitlick/)

DET gets Stafford, 2nd - BUF gets 1st

(retain for all 3)

That gives us picks 7, 8, 11, 16, 20something

With which to draft 5 of Monahan, Lindholm, Ristolainen, Nurse, Horvat, Domi, Erne, Hartman, Fucale

I'm going to pretend we get Lindholm, Risto, Horvat, Erne, and Hartman

Which leaves us with this roster:

Ennis - Hodgson - Armia

Leino - Grigorenko - Ott

Larsson - Couturier - Girgensons

Kaleta - Porter - Flynn

Scott

Young talented undersized top line that is going to get raped by top pairings.

Decent #2 scoring line with interesting blend of talent and grit.

Young but tenacious checking line capable of offense.

A weird fourth line, but I'd rather go with the potential of Flynn and the steady hand of Porter over a typical NHL fourth line.

(Pairings are by talent)

Ehrhoff - Sekera

Myers - Pysyk

Weber - McNabb

Weedsie

Relax on the D corp, because depending on Myers' trajectory we could be fine or not fine.

Enroth/Hackett

That gives us a top 10 pick for sure next year, maybe even a top 5.

• 2 weeks later...

A lot of people in their Mock drafts have the Sabres taking defense because we are "lacking" it but is it we have bad defense or our forwards have so little puck control that we are constantly pinned down? I ask here because for our 2013 roster if we do lack defense maybe we need to take a better look at it.

A lot of people in their Mock drafts have the Sabres taking defense because we are "lacking" it but is it we have bad defense or our forwards have so little puck control that we are constantly pinned down? I ask here because for our 2013 roster if we do lack defense maybe we need to take a better look at it.

We got rid of two vets late last season. Depth is rahter thin now.

And talent level is mostly unproven.

I think Sulzer is more likely than Pardy.

Erhoff-Myers

Weber-Pysyk

Sekera-Ruwedal

McNabb-Sulzer

I see this list and I think: "okay, Sekera can be traded."

Indeed, I see Sekera, McNabb, and Sulzer as trade bait...and I would be happy to add Myers as well.

Archived