2013-2014 Roster Projection Thoughts

qwksndmonster

May be as many as 6 rookies in the lineup this season.

I expect we'll see something along these lines.

Vanek-Hodgson-Armia

Ennis-Grigorenko-Stafford

Ott-Larsson- Leino

Scott-Foligno-Kaleta

Ehrhoff, Myers, Weber, Pysyk, McNabb, Ristohoweveritsspelled

Gonna remain optimistic and call the goalies Enroth, Hackett

That 2nd line would be brutal. And I am expecting the Foligno as 4th line center experiment continues. We have too many LW's and not enough RW's. Leino and Foligno are out of position. Maybe Stafford and Armia get flipped.

That's a top-5 draft pick lineup if I ever saw one.

That's a top-5 draft pick lineup if I ever saw one.

Sometimes such a team gets burning and surprises the whole nhl. If they are lucky they can steal a playoff spot. But to be honest i also think as many here that without improvement with UFAs a top 5 spot for the next draft is probable.

That 2nd line would be brutal. And I am expecting the Foligno as 4th line center experiment continues. We have too many LW's and not enough RW's. Leino and Foligno are out of position. Maybe Stafford and Armia get flipped.

Unless he has had a MIRACULOUS 4 month transformation since the season ended, Grigs won't be ready for 4th line duty let alone 2nd or 3rd line plus PP duty. He will be the single biggest weakness in the forward ranks...that is unless Vanek is traded which in that case they have major scoring concerns in the top 6.

Unless he has had a MIRACULOUS 4 month transformation since the season ended, Grigs won't be ready for 4th line duty let alone 2nd or 3rd line plus PP duty. He will be the single biggest weakness in the forward ranks...that is unless Vanek is traded which in that case they have major scoring concerns in the top 6.

I think we'll see a different Grigorenko this season. I really feel like the team had no plan for him last year so they couldn't put him in any particular role. That's just a bad way to bring a new player into the league who isn't slated to be a 3rd or 4th liner for life.

I think with it being planned that he will be in the lineup he'll be more comfortable and know what is expected of him, as will his teammates and coaches. A little planning could be all the difference.

I think we'll see a different Grigorenko this season. I really feel like the team had no plan for him last year so they couldn't put him in any particular role. That's just a bad way to bring a new player into the league who isn't slated to be a 3rd or 4th liner for life.

I think with it being planned that he will be in the lineup he'll be more comfortable and know what is expected of him, as will his teammates and coaches. A little planning could be all the difference.

There is also the possibility that he is already hard at work, preparing under the watchful eye of Sabres University.

Of course telling him he's already got a job is probably not the best of motivations.

There is also the possibility that he is already hard at work, preparing under the watchful eye of Sabres University.

Of course telling him he's already got a job is probably not the best of motivations.

Or it may relax him and let him focus on playing rather than fighting his way off the fourth line.

Right. If he's going to get 4th line minutes again, he should just be in the Q for another year. Give him the opportunity with some skilled linemates and hope scoring some gets his confidence going, and just live with the defensive lapses along the way. Our best hope is for Hodgson to be at least okay defensively this year and Larsson able to hold down the 3rd line, so we can load Grigorenko's line with protected minutes.

He's in a tough spot. He really needs a season or two in the AHL but it isn't an option. Dumbest. Rule. Ever. At this point I think the only option that may move him forward is to put him with a couple of skilled players and let him work his way through the transition to being a pro, and let the chips this season fall wherever they may.

Right. If he's going to get 4th line minutes again, he should just be in the Q for another year. Give him the opportunity with some skilled linemates and hope scoring some gets his confidence going, and just live with the defensive lapses along the way. Our best hope is for Hodgson to be at least okay defensively this year and Larsson able to hold down the 3rd line, so we can load Grigorenko's line with protected minutes.

An Ott-Larsson-Leino line could be what's needed to give Grigs the protected minutes he needs.

Disappointed to hear that Armia and Larsson won't be at the development camp due to prior commitments. Was really looking forward to getting a look at them on the ice.

Larsson isn't that exciting to watch. He plays a steady 2 way game and doesn't look flashy either way. He certainly would be the most NHL ready prospect there.

Sometimes such a team gets burning and surprises the whole nhl. If they are lucky they can steal a playoff spot. But to be honest i also think as many here that without improvement with UFAs a top 5 spot for the next draft is probable.

Unfortunately next year's crop of 18 year olds isn't projected to be anywhere near as good as this year's group.

Vanek-Hodgson-Armia

Ott-Larsson- Leino

Scott-Foligno-Kaleta

Ehrhoff, Myers, Weber, Pysyk, McNabb, Ristohoweveritsspelled, almost forgot to add McBain

You're forgetting Girgensons. He could be NHL ready this year. When I saw them at the scrimmage last year Girgs looked better than Grigs (to me). So don't be too surprised if he makes the lineup.

I was pretty comfortable with the youth movement and possibly being bad for a year or two, selling off assets and building that way. The Sulzer signing is really a head scratcher. He's the opposite of what the Sabres should be doing. If I were Darcy, I would create a roster of hitters and fighters to keep fans entertained. When the young offensive talent is ready ? You sprinkle it throughout the line up. Signing a journeyman Dman?

I was pretty comfortable with the youth movement and possibly being bad for a year or two, selling off assets and building that way. The Sulzer signing is really a head scratcher. He's the opposite of what the Sabres should be doing. If I were Darcy, I would create a roster of hitters and fighters to keep fans entertained. When the young offensive talent is ready ? You sprinkle it throughout the line up. Signing a journeyman Dman?

I said it in another thread but I see it as a simple stop gap in case any of the young d men don't look like they are ready for the NHL. Then if Darcy decides they are he can waive Sulzer and either he goes down to Rochester or gets claimed. No big deal either way.

Vanek-Hodgson-Armia

Ott-Larsson- Leino

Scott-Foligno-Kaleta

Ehrhoff, Myers, Weber, Pysyk, McNabb, Ristohoweveritsspelled, almost forgot to add McBain

I'd think Tropp would be in there. Somewhere.

You and I have both talked about this before. the fans still need to be entertained. If the team is going to suck, which mgt seems to be OK with, then bring on some other form of entertainment for the fans. Bring on the hitters.

I'd think Tropp would be in there. Somewhere.

There isn't anywhere obvious for him though, is there? Maybe he finally pushes Kaleta out of the lineup. He'll have to show himself as a better defensive forward and penalty killer to do it.

There isn't anywhere obvious for him though, is there? Maybe he finally pushes Kaleta out of the lineup. He'll have to show himself as a better defensive forward and penalty killer to do it.

Scott's slot on the 4th line jumps to mind. Need to entertain fans or not, Scott should still only play 1/3 of the games.

Scott's slot on the 4th line jumps to mind. Need to entertain fans or not, Scott should still only play 1/3 of the games.

The makeup of our division means Scott will need to see alot more than 1/3 of the games. Boston and their group of merry thugs, Toronto has Orr and others, Montreal just signed Parros, Ottawa and Neil. And we have a team that will be thoroughly sprinkled with our future. They need to be protected to some extent. Scott will see at least 50% of the games. There is still noone else on this roster that can/will stand up and deter these folks.

The makeup of our division means Scott will need to see alot more than 1/3 of the games. Boston and their group of merry thugs, Toronto has Orr and others, Montreal just signed Parros, Ottawa and Neil. And we have a team that will be thoroughly sprinkled with our future. They need to be protected to some extent. Scott will see at least 50% of the games. There is still noone else on this roster that can/will stand up and deter these folks.

I just don't remember guys like Parros being rapid cheap shot artists who need to be deterred. How many enforcers run around looking for problems? To me it's the little pukes like Marchand and Neil that need to be threatened a little. If Scott doesn't dress against Montreal, we don't get a Parros-Scott fight...I don't think Parros would try to decapitate Vanek.

I just don't remember guys like Parros being rapid cheap shot artists who need to be deterred. How many enforcers run around looking for problems? To me it's the little pukes like Marchand and Neil that need to be threatened a little. If Scott doesn't dress against Montreal, we don't get a Parros-Scott fight...I don't think Parros would try to decapitate Vanek.

They do have one of the biggest slimeballs in the league in Ryan White, though, in addition to capable throwers in Brandon Prust and Moen.

So you don't want the option of buying him out next year?

I'll be honest, I find it hard to care either way.

I just can't stand him, which I suppose isn't really fair - It's not his fault Regier decided to give him that ridiculous contract.

So you don't want the option of buying him out next year?

He's not counting against the cap if he's on LTIR so why not let Terry pay his ridiculous salary. After all, "what has Darcy done wrong?"

Archived