2013-2014 Roster Projection Thoughts

qwksndmonster

Foligno maybe, although he didn't really show it last season. But Tropp? I think you are badly misjudging how tough Kaleta is. He has beaten some really, really good middleweights. Take a look at the kids' fight card. He is a tough guy.

Kaleta is one of my favorite players and he can fight and hit, don't get me wrong. I also love him on the penalty kill, but I would much rather tropp be more of a "regular" just to see what he can do. We don't need to role out agitators and goons every line, just some toughness helps. I mean we will see how the player battle shape up leading up to the season, but you have to think players like kaleta and tropp are going to battle each other for line spots.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=40gHYBf_xWA

Foligno maybe, although he didn't really show it last season. But Tropp? I think you are badly misjudging how tough Kaleta is. He has beaten some really, really good middleweights. Take a look at the kids' fight card. He is a tough guy.

All three should be on the team. We're not trying to win this year so we might as well be tough to play against.

All three should be on the team. We're not trying to win this year so we might as well be tough to play against.

I can't argue that point of view, but I'll say that I must be in the minority here because I wasn't wowed at all by Tropp's short playing time with the Sabres. He struck me as yet another guy with 4th line talent. Something this organization has in spades.

trouble with Numark's lineup isn't lack of grit so much, but lack of grit on the top two lines.

This might be interesting if the kids are ready:

Larsson Hodgson Vanek

Ott Grigorenko Leino

Ennis GIrgensons Foligno

Kaleta Porter Tropp

If we are going to suffer with kids, might as well go all in.

trouble with Numark's lineup isn't lack of grit so much, but lack of grit on the top two lines.

This might be interesting if the kids are ready:

Larsson Hodgson Vanek

Ott Grigorenko Leino

Ennis GIrgensons Foligno

Kaleta Porter Tropp

If we are going to suffer with kids, might as well go all in.

I would set the Forward Lines like this:

Vanek Hodgson Armia

Ennis Grigorenko Foligno

Ott GIrgensons Leino

Kaleta Larsson Tropp

I would set the Forward Lines like this:

Vanek Hodgson Armia

Ennis Grigorenko Foligno

Ott GIrgensons Leino

Kaleta Larsson Tropp

Before seeing any glimpses of Armia play in North America, it's too difficult to pencil him in with Hodgson. We all know the difficulties Hodgson has in our own end, and if Armia isn't a reliable player defensively, then they could get into serious trouble playing together. If we're making up lines on paper, i do think it's wiser to put a player who is a better player in his own end, such as Larsson, as CornerBlitz had, despite him potentially lacking the skillset of a top-6 forward.

I definitely agree with that. However, I don't think we really have any gritty top 6 forwards to just insert in there. Let's just hope foligno, grigs, girg, armia, and all of our defensemen solve that problem in the future.

We traded two pending UFAs at the deadline and we dumped a failed prospect halfway through the year. This hardly supports your expectation of a trade this year before the season begins.

I expect to see a trade well before the tread deadline from us and it will involve one of our defenders. They are not going to carry 9-10nhl defenders on a team that won't sniff the playoffs.

I expect to see a trade well before the tread deadline from us and it will involve one of our defenders. They are not going to carry 9-10nhl defenders on a team that won't sniff the playoffs.

I think calling anyone besides weber, Myers and Ehrhoff an NHL defender is presumptive.

Rasmus Ristolainen either beats him outright or is the 7th man who eventually becomes a permanent top 6 after injuries.

FYI I really see a trade coming before this season starts or shortly after it does. We have way to many defensemen floating around.

There is no f'n way that Ristolainen ends up the #7 D-man this season. He's either in the top 6 or he's down on the farm playing every night. He could miss a couple of games here and there if they want him to watch something in particular; but he isn't a night in-night out healthy scratch.

What is your definition of "shortly after" the season starts? It is extremely unlikely that there is a trade in mid-October or November. DR almost never makes moves at that point in the season. If your definition includes February, then perhaps a D-man will be moved "shortly after" the season starts.

I consider Tallinder, Pysyk, and Sulzur to be qualified NHL defensemen. Ruhwedel and McBain are very close if not there as well.

They may have played in the NHL but by no means does it suggest that in their current situations they should just be penciled into the lineup. Two of the four you mentioned shouldn't touch NHL ice this season. Everyone was saying the exact same thing last year and no one was moved until close to the trade deadline.

They may have played in the NHL but by no means does it suggest that in their current situations they should just be penciled into the lineup. Two of the four you mentioned shouldn't touch NHL ice this season. Everyone was saying the exact same thing last year and no one was moved until close to the trade deadline.

Exactly.

Although I have a hard time believing Tallinder isn't being penciled-in already. Just like when people were saying Hecht won't go above the third line, I think any talk of Tallinder being JUST a 5-6 d-man is ill-advised.

I consider Tallinder, Pysyk, and Sulzur to be qualified NHL defensemen. Ruhwedel and McBain are very close if not there as well.

Sulzer has been in Buffalo for 68 games. He only dressed in 32 of those. He's closer to being out of the league then being a legitimate guy in someones nightly lineup.

I didn't mention four, I mentioned three. Guaranteed a spot are Myers, Ehrhoff, Tallinder, Weber, and Pysyk. That leaves two openings. Sulzur, Ruhwedel and McBain should fight for those spots. While not on a level with Shea Weber, I feel that these guys are NHL worthy and will acquit themselves well. Well, I'm not very sold on McBain, but I think the other two are adequate.

Sulzer has been in Buffalo for 68 games. He only dressed in 32 of those. He's closer to being out of the league then being a legitimate guy in someones nightly lineup.

Sulzur was hurt but when playing, he fared well with Ehrhoff.

I didn't mention four, I mentioned three. Guaranteed a spot are Myers, Ehrhoff, Tallinder, Weber, and Pysyk. That leaves two openings. Sulzur, Ruhwedel and McBain should fight for those spots. While not on a level with Shea Weber, I feel that these guys are NHL worthy and will acquit themselves well. Well, I'm not very sold on McBain, but I think the other two are adequate.

Is that the level Buffalo is shooting for this season? Adequate?

Is that the level Buffalo is shooting for this season? Adequate?

With this group? Yes.

He didn't play well. He was slightly above bad because of Ehrhoff. If he's with our top Dman on a regular basis again, that would be horrid roster management.

Well maybe I was thinking of the year before. But I know he has the ability...or had it. Ehrhoff (or Errorhoff as some have called him) didn't play that well either. Both will have to step it up.

There is no f'n way that Ristolainen ends up the #7 D-man this season. He's either in the top 6 or he's down on the farm playing every night. He could miss a couple of games here and there if they want him to watch something in particular; but he isn't a night in-night out healthy scratch.

What is your definition of "shortly after" the season starts? It is extremely unlikely that there is a trade in mid-October or November. DR almost never makes moves at that point in the season. If your definition includes February, then perhaps a D-man will be moved "shortly after" the season starts.

If by down on the farm you mean Finland than yes.

Shortly after the season starts to me, means within the first 2 months. Usually we see a couple of trades within that window and it is not out of the realm of possibility that we trade one of our defenders. I think what is going on right now is that we have Sulzer (insurance option), Rhuwedel, Pysyk, McBain, Ristolainen all in the category of might be NHL this season. That is 4 guys for 2 spots. I think that Rhuwedel goes to Rochester. I think McBain will probably start the season here along with Pysyk and Ristolainen will be given his shot while Sulzer rides the bench.

Myers, Ehrhoff, Tallinder, Weber are locks. Pysk and McBain are probably your other 2 with Ristolainen dressing most nights and they run 7 defenders and ease Risto into the lineup. Sulzer is healthy scratched until someone goes into the dog house or there is an injury.

Likely means Rochester. I'd rather Ristolainen start there than as a 7th Dman.

I do not believe we have that option. All reports indicate Ristolainen will play in the Finnish Elite league or the NHL.

http://prohockeytalk.nbcsports.com/2013/07/10/sabres-first-rounder-ristolainen-says-its-nhl-or-finland-in-2013-14/

I think Tallinder should be in our top six, but between injuries and declining play, he's hardly a lock.

He, McBain and and Sulzer are better described as targets for the young guys to push past.

I agree. I think those 3 (maybe McBain pans out) will be players for the young guys to push past and can hold a spot until then. Tallinder is hear for his mentoring, experience and to serve as elder statesmen.

I do not believe we have that option. All reports indicate Ristolainen will play in the Finnish Elite league or the NHL.

http://prohockeytalk...and-in-2013-14/

That PHT link is old news, Here's an update with the ELC signing: http://forums.sabrespace.com/topic/21974-sabres-pick-8-rasmus-ristolainen/page__st__120#entry497468

If by down on the farm you mean Finland than yes.

Shortly after the season starts to me, means within the first 2 months. Usually we see a couple of trades within that window and it is not out of the realm of possibility that we trade one of our defenders. I think what is going on right now is that we have Sulzer (insurance option), Rhuwedel, Pysyk, McBain, Ristolainen all in the category of might be NHL this season. That is 4 guys for 2 spots. I think that Rhuwedel goes to Rochester. I think McBain will probably start the season here along with Pysyk and Ristolainen will be given his shot while Sulzer rides the bench.

Myers, Ehrhoff, Tallinder, Weber are locks. Pysk and McBain are probably your other 2 with Ristolainen dressing most nights and they run 7 defenders and ease Risto into the lineup. Sulzer is healthy scratched until someone goes into the dog house or there is an injury.

1st off, he's not going back to Finland - that rumor has been debunked. 2nd off, he's not the #7 D-man under any circumstance and they are NOT running with 7 D-men most nights. The forwards are currently lacking in certain areas, but there is no ###### way they are running 11 forwards most nights.

This collection of D the Sabres have assembled DON'T have 10 guys with levels of skill screaming that they must be in the lineup. There are 3 locks and another guy that would have been a lock a couple of years ago (and essentially is a lock because he becomes only the 2nd veteran amongst them) and a few that hopefully will be locks in a year or 2. But right now, there is no reason to be running 7 D night in, night out.

And we DON'T "usually see a couple of trades" at the beginning of the season made BY Darcy Regier. He's only made a handful of trades at that time of the year in his entire tenure. Tigers don't readily change their stripes for spots; it is unlikely that DR is going for the spotted vest this season.

That PHT link is old news, Here's an update with the ELC signing: http://forums.sabres...120#entry497468

Okay so he plays in Rochester. This makes him as a call up or #7 defender even more likely. You can play him in Rochester 20mins a night until someone gets injured and there you go.

1st off, he's not going back to Finland - that rumor has been debunked. 2nd off, he's not the #7 D-man under any circumstance and they are NOT running with 7 D-men most nights. The forwards are currently lacking in certain areas, but there is no ###### way they are running 11 forwards most nights.

This collection of D the Sabres have assembled DON'T have 10 guys with levels of skill screaming that they must be in the lineup. There are 3 locks and another guy that would have been a lock a couple of years ago (and essentially is a lock because he becomes only the 2nd veteran amongst them) and a few that hopefully will be locks in a year or 2. But right now, there is no reason to be running 7 D night in, night out.

And we DON'T "usually see a couple of trades" at the beginning of the season made BY Darcy Regier. He's only made a handful of trades at that time of the year in his entire tenure. Tigers don't readily change their stripes for spots; it is unlikely that DR is going for the spotted vest this season.

Okay well I disagree. I think we see a defenseman traded. If Risto can be in Rochester than he can be called up easily.

Finally... it isn't about MUST BE IN THE LINEUP. It is about developing guys this year. This year will suck if you want playoff runs but will be great if you go in thinking about players development.

Archived