2013-2014 Roster Projection Thoughts

qwksndmonster

He's not counting against the cap if he's on LTIR so why not let Terry pay his ridiculous salary. After all, "what has Darcy done wrong?"

LTIR is really only a viable strategy for getting rid of his cap hit if he suffers a career ender. Even if he suffers a season ending injury next year, he'll be back the year after. If anybody really wants to get rid of Leino, they should hope for a healthy and utterly terrible season.

So right now it looks like this:

Hodgson and Grigorenko will be two of our centres.

Vanek, Leino, Stafford, Ott, Foligno, Kaleta, Scott will fill seven of the slots on the wing

Ennis will be in the top six, its just not clear if he's a centre or a wing.

Porter is likely to be another centre, but he will be pushed by Larsson, Girgensons and Adam

The latter three could also push for spots on the wing, along with Armia and Flynn.

Sixteen guys battling for 13 spots.

Ehrhoff, Myers and Weber have spots on D.

Tallinder, McBain and Sulzer will be trying to fend of Pysyk, McNabb, Rudy and Risto.

Ten guys for seven spots.

Anybody think this is a playoff team?

Vanek, Leino, Stafford, Ott, Foligno, Kaleta, Scott will fill seven of the slots on the wing

Porter is likely to be another centre, but he will be pushed by Larsson, Girgensons and Adam

The latter three could also push for spots on the wing, along with Armia and Flynn.

Tallinder, McBain and Sulzer will be trying to fend of Pysyk, McNabb, Rudy and Risto.

No but that's not my main goal next season. I wanna see Girgensons, Grigorenko, Pysyk maybe Larsson, Adam, McNabb and Ristolainen make steps forward. Its a year of transition and we should accept that and see where its going. Players hardly come into the NHL playing at the top level right away. I wanna make those great prospects move forward in their development. The future looks decent, if those guys develop in a good way.

Sabres forward collection looks about as unplanned as it ever has. At least we are finally starting to purge the roster of guys who have no business and no future playing in the NHL.

C- Hodgson, Grigorenko, Larsson, Girgensons, McCormick, Porter

RW- Stafford, Flynn, Kaleta, Armia, Tropp

LW- Vanek, Ennis, Leino, Foligno, Ott, Scott

Lots of C/LW type players there. I count 6 guys who could get switched between C and LW. Minimal talent at RW though.

I just don't remember guys like Parros being rapid cheap shot artists who need to be deterred. How many enforcers run around looking for problems? To me it's the little pukes like Marchand and Neil that need to be threatened a little. If Scott doesn't dress against Montreal, we don't get a Parros-Scott fight...I don't think Parros would try to decapitate Vanek.

I'm not sure how I missed this before.

We've seen how it plays out when the other team has the big badass and we have a bunch of guys who don't have the ability to stand up. That big badass (say, Parros for example) may be a perfect gentleman but his presence combined with the lack of presence on our side serves to embolden the other team. They take advantage and we see things like Vanek's hand getting slashed and broken, or Pominville checked into the boards head first. If the other team has a nuclear deterrent then we need to dress ours. And if the other side doesn't have a nuclear deterrent, well, there is nothing wrong with our team being the emboldened one, right?

LTIR is really only a viable strategy for getting rid of his cap hit if he suffers a career ender. Even if he suffers a season ending injury next year, he'll be back the year after. If anybody really wants to get rid of Leino, they should hope for a healthy and utterly terrible season.

I should make another bet with Tom Webster. it worked so well with Tim Connolly.

Not even close to a playoff team. No checking line, one proven center, a dearth of talent at RW, and a whole lot of guys playing one line higher than they should.

And with respect to you and Peppy, can we just leave Adam out of any conversations involving the NHL? He barely played at an AHL level last year.

Not even close to a playoff team. No checking line, one proven center, a dearth of talent at RW, and a whole lot of guys playing one line higher than they should.

And with respect to you and Peppy, can we just leave Adam out of any conversations involving the NHL? He barely played at an AHL level last year.

I'm hoping our checking line center this season comes from either Girgs or Larsson. Add Ott on LW and I think there is potential for a representative 3rd line. And yes I do realize I am hoping for a noob to step in and be effective in that role.

I am desperately hoping Larsson and Girgensons step in and start the transition to the tougher-to-play against team.

But Rolston appears to like Porter and I think he is the most likely checking line centre early in the season, while Ronnie initially shelters the kids.

This transition season (I agree 100 percent with Peppy) will be a success if they have pushed past him by Christmas and never look back.

Forgot about McCormick. Barring trades, he and Adam have little to no chance of getting significant time this year, but given their age and experience they have to be considered part of the mix at the moment. Neither will be here this time next year.

I think a lot of us have high hopes for Larsson.

Moving forward I really see him moving into that valuable Hecht role.

Not that he plays the same style, just in the fact he can and will be used anywhere in the top nine.

Centre or wing, trusted in his own zone, capable in the offensive zone, part of a checking line, or as the guy doing the dirty work on a scoring line.

Interesting listening to Rolston in his development camp presser.

Seems like for him this year is all about creating competition. I believe his quote more than once was he "expects the young guys to push."

So when you look at the projected rosters above and see too many players, that's by design.

They aren't loading up for a trade. The are looking for people to earn spots.

Forwards

Line 1 = Vanek - Hodgson - Leino

Line 2 = Ennis - Grigorenko - Stafford

Line 3 = Foligno - Larrson - Ott

Line 4 = Flynn - Porter - Tropp

Defense

Pairing 1 = Ehrhoff - Pysyk

Pairing 2 = Myers - Tallinder

Pairing 3 = Weber - McBain

(Scratch - Scott, Kaleta, Sulzer)

AHL

Girgensons plays the full year. Armia plays until a top 6 position opens up (IE stafford or Vanek getting traded away). Ruhwedel and McNabb in the AHL until openings appear.

Forwards

Defense

AHL

Girgensons plays the full year. Armia plays until a top 6 position opens up (IE stafford or Vanek getting traded away). Ruhwedel and McNabb in the AHL until openings appear.

Looks about right to me. I just really hope somebody beats out McBain.

Interesting listening to Rolston in his development camp presser.

Seems like for him this year is all about creating competition. I believe his quote more than once was he "expects the young guys to push."

So when you look at the projected rosters above and see too many players, that's by design.

They aren't loading up for a trade. The are looking for people to earn spots.

This i love to read, because i do not want to pamper all our rookies, i want them to fight for a roster spot. Only the strong ones should appear in our nhl games.

I am desperately hoping Larsson and Girgensons step in and start the transition to the tougher-to-play against team.

But Rolston appears to like Porter and I think he is the most likely checking line centre early in the season, while Ronnie initially shelters the kids.

This transition season (I agree 100 percent with Peppy) will be a success if they have pushed past him by Christmas and never look back.

Forgot about McCormick. Barring trades, he and Adam have little to no chance of getting significant time this year, but given their age and experience they have to be considered part of the mix at the moment. Neither will be here this time next year.

Darcy said there is no way McCormick clears waivers this year so he won't be in Rochester. He'll either be on Buffalo's 23 man roster or somewhere else. (leads me to believe there was some "agreements" made between teams last season)

Somehow I think, that if Sulzer is ready, he will the D Partner of Ehrhoff... That worked great so far, so why change it.

Its gonna be an interesting season for Luke Adam. We know he can play in the NHL but he hasnt shown that for 2 years. Maybe Rolston is the coach that can shove him back into the right direction. My hopes for that arent high but you never know.

Forwards

Defense

AHL

Without Kaleta and Scott in the lineup the Sabres are powderpuff champions again. That lineup needs the grit and toughness on a nightly basis of Kaleta and Scott. If Regiers goal is to be younger and tougher/more rugged than what you have as a lineup can not be trotted out there that often.

Without Kaleta and Scott in the lineup the Sabres are powderpuff champions again. That lineup needs the grit and toughness on a nightly basis of Kaleta and Scott. If Regiers goal is to be younger and tougher/more rugged than what you have as a lineup can not be trotted out there that often.

I still have them on the 23 man roster and kaleta isn't really a tough guy like you like think he is. More like an agitator. Both foligno and tropp are better physical presences with more skill

Rasmus Ristolainen either beats him outright or is the 7th man who eventually becomes a permanent top 6 after injuries.

FYI I really see a trade coming before this season starts or shortly after it does. We have way to many defensemen floating around.

Rasmus Ristolainen either beats him outright or is the 7th man who eventually becomes a permanent top 6 after injuries.

FYI I really see a trade coming before this season starts or shortly after it does. We have way to many defensemen floating around.

We said the same thing last year ;)

and we traded 3 defenders during the course of the season... Brennan, Regehr, Leopold

We traded two pending UFAs at the deadline and we dumped a failed prospect halfway through the year. This hardly supports your expectation of a trade this year before the season begins.

I still have them on the 23 man roster and kaleta isn't really a tough guy like you like think he is. More like an agitator. Both foligno and tropp are better physical presences with more skill

Foligno maybe, although he didn't really show it last season. But Tropp? I think you are badly misjudging how tough Kaleta is. He has beaten some really, really good middleweights. Take a look at the kids' fight card. He is a tough guy.

Archived