2013 NHL Entry Draft: Buffalo Sabres Select...

LGR4GM

Jones or MacKinnon  

127 members have voted

1. 1. Which would you draft given the 1st overall pick?

• Seth Jones
    • Nathan MacKinnon
    • Jonathan Drouin
  2. 2. Who do you think the Sabres should draft at #8 overall?

• Sean Monahan
    • Elias Lindholm
    • Valeri Nichushkin
    • Ristolainen/Nurse/Zadarov/Other defender
    • Zach Fucale
    • Other, please post name

The Draft is the highlight of my hockey year. I've been following this thread for a long time. Everyone has made very interesting comments and observations. It is a great read.

Here is my contribution:

What I think will happen is that we will trade our 8th and Stafford for Edmonton's 7th. This way we can get into the Top Seven category and select Lindholm. Edmonton will do this because they like Stafford and probably plan on selecting a defenseman anyway. This is the same move Darcy made to get Myers.

Smartest thing anyone's said yet!

The Draft is the highlight of my hockey year. I've been following this thread for a long time. Everyone has made very interesting comments and observations. It is a great read.

Here is my contribution:

What I think will happen is that we will trade our 8th and Stafford for Edmonton's 7th. This way we can get into the Top Seven category and select Lindholm. Edmonton will do this because they like Stafford and probably plan on selecting a defenseman anyway. This is the same move Darcy made to get Myers.

I really hope we don't trade Stafford for less than a third round pick. I know he is the whipping boy around here, but a proven 50 point scorer for $4 million is decent. His return can be a later first round pick on its own easily. He was a first round pick, and as not all first round picks make it, Stafford is worth at least a first rounder.

Here is my contribution:

I've been thinking about a Myers-type trade with Edmonton a lot.

I'd love the Stafford and #8 for #7 trade you just suggested. But I doubt Regier would go for that. He'd be giving up a former 30-goal scorer to move up one spot in the draft (to take a player most fans will have never heard of). That's not a trade "win" he can point to as proof that he's a great GM, and those seem to be his priority.

We'll see. I have zero faith in Regier to do something aggressive to get the right guys. Since 1997 he's almost never taken a major risk and, as much as that sucks, it's paid off in that he's kept his job the whole time. Terry Pegula can't name a single mistake Regier has ever made. :sick:

I've been thinking about a Myers-type trade with Edmonton a lot.

I'd love the Stafford and #8 for #7 trade you just suggested. But I doubt Regier would go for that. He'd be giving up a former 30-goal scorer to move up one spot in the draft (to take a player most fans will have never heard of). That's not a trade "win" he can point to as proof that he's a great GM, and those seem to be his priority.

We'll see. I have zero faith in Regier to do something aggressive to get the right guys. Since 1997 he's almost never taken a major risk and, as much as that sucks, it's paid off in that he's kept his job the whole time. Terry Pegula can't name a single mistake Regier has ever made. :sick:

Well he has only been a fan for the last 3 years so that isn'y a surprise ;)

Someone posted a interview with the Edmonton GM, Craig McTavish, a couple weeks ago, One interesting thing I heard him say is that he was letting a couple free agents go because he was trying to get rid of the losing atmosphere. Wouldn't Stafford be the last player he would want? any Sabre? I think the possibility here is 8 and a second for 7, or 8 and a third for 7. I think the valuation depends on how hot NJ is to jump ahead of Buffalo or Dallas jump three spots.

Someone posted a interview with the Edmonton GM, Craig McTavish, a couple weeks ago, One interesting thing I heard him say is that he was letting a couple free agents go because he was trying to get rid of the losing atmosphere. Wouldn't Stafford be the last player he would want? any Sabre? I think the possibility here is 8 and a second for 7, or 8 and a third for 7. I think the valuation depends on how hot NJ is to jump ahead of Buffalo or Dallas jump three spots.

No chance we give 8 AND a 2nd for 7.

I don't think the Sabres would get much for Stafford, unless he is basically a throw in as part of a big trade.

Oh, and since this is the draft thread ...

FUCALE!!

DR was on the verge of getting a first from Columbus, but then Gaborik became available

No chance Regier does it, since he's a pretty terrible GM, but it's not crazy. We traded a 3rd round pick to move up one spot for Myers.

So trade a 3rd rounder. The second round is an entire round different.

If it's the difference between getting the guy I want or picking between a couple guys I'm not so high on, I might pay a second to move up a spot. Maybe not this year's second, but one of next seasons. All depends who they want and how big of a difference maker they think he can be -- I'll trust that the guys the Sabres pay to scout and analyze these players will be able to make that judgement as to whether or not it'd be worth it.

If it's the difference between getting the guy I want or picking between a couple guys I'm not so high on, I might pay a second to move up a spot. Maybe not this year's second, but one of next seasons. All depends who they want and how big of a difference maker they think he can be -- I'll trust that the guys the Sabres pay to scout and analyze these players will be able to make that judgement as to whether or not it'd be worth it.

Next season's is a different story. I don't give a second in this year's draft for one selection unless somebody falls.

So trade a 3rd rounder. The second round is an entire round different.

If a 2nd round pick is the difference between getting the perfect player for us and just getting a guy we think will be "good", I'm trading a 2nd rounder.

We already have two 2nd round picks and we should be able to land an extra pick from a Vanek or Miller trade -- trades that SHOULD happen if the team is serious about rebuilding. (SPOILER ALERT: They're not. There's no plan to win the Stanley Cup and there never was.)

No chance we give 8 AND a 2nd for 7.

Let's say Nich is there after 6. Let's say Nich is the only 1 of Regier's 6 great prospects on the board. NJ also loves Nich. They call Edmonton, offer 9 and a second. Edmonton calls Buffalo and says the market for 7 is 8 and a 2nd. If he's one of the six guys, you do it.

You saw my valuations upthread, which are significantly different than Bob McKenzie's, I'd sit and wait, but I could see trading if I valued the draft as 6 great prospects.

But you are right, a second is pricey

Edit: or what Rob said

I just finished watching the highlights of the 2003 draft they aired yesterday on TSN. I've changed my stance and really hope they keep all 4 picks in the first two rounds and only trade up one of the second's if they're very sure on who they are trading up for. There were several big time picks that year that came outside of the top 5. The Ducks don't win the cup without landing Getzlaf AND Perry late in the first round.

I just finished watching the highlights of the 2003 draft they aired yesterday on TSN. I've changed my stance and really hope they keep all 4 picks in the first two rounds and only trade up one of the second's if they're very sure on who they are trading up for. There were several big time picks that year that came outside of the top 5. The Ducks don't win the cup without landing Getzlaf AND Perry late in the first round.

I think we'll end up with multiple first round picks one way or the other. Even if we trade two to get a higher one, I think we'll make a trade (Miller or Vanek likely) to get another first rounder.

Archived