2013 NHL Entry Draft: Buffalo Sabres Select...

LGR4GM

Jones or MacKinnon  

127 members have voted

1. 1. Which would you draft given the 1st overall pick?

• Seth Jones
    • Nathan MacKinnon
    • Jonathan Drouin
  2. 2. Who do you think the Sabres should draft at #8 overall?

• Sean Monahan
    • Elias Lindholm
    • Valeri Nichushkin
    • Ristolainen/Nurse/Zadarov/Other defender
    • Zach Fucale
    • Other, please post name

White just corrected himself on Twitter. Presser is MONDAY after the draft.

Jeremy White@JeremyWGR 22m

And there ya go. “@adater: Avs will have 2 p.m. press conference Monday at Pepsi Center to introduce top pick”

So this actually changes absolutely nothing. Because if the Avs were going to trade the top pick, they'd still end up with another first round pick. They weren't going to trade out of it completely.

I would put the chances that a trade happens as 1%, but it's worth pointing out that this announcement changes nothing.

Bob McKenzie laying out my worst case scenario. My top 7 prospects all gone by 8, and then the best 14 or 15 guys are gone by 16.

Basically our top pick comes down to if Carolina, Calgary, or Edmonton decides they like a defenseman (Nurse?) more than Lindholm, Nichushkin, or Monahan. Otherwise we're taking Nurse or Ristolainen I guess.

Correct me if I'm wrong... but Bob doesn't give any scenarios there. It's a ranking, correct? Not a mock draft. Mock drafts NEVER follow rankings.

Correct me if I'm wrong... but Bob doesn't give any scenarios there. It's a ranking, correct? Not a mock draft. Mock drafts NEVER follow rankings.

Correct. But I think it's just easier to assume each player ahead of you takes the best player available. That's bad news for Buffalo if they agree with McKenzie's rankings.

FWIW, last year McKenzie had Grigorenko and Girgensons ranked 12th and 13th, respectively. http://eyeonthesens.com/2012/06/18/bob-mckenzies-2012-nhl-draft-rankings/

Correct. But I think it's just easier to assume each player ahead of you takes the best player available. That's bad news for Buffalo if they agree with McKenzie's rankings.

FWIW, last year McKenzie had Grigorenko and Girgensons ranked 12th and 13th, respectively. http://eyeonthesens....draft-rankings/

At the end of the TSN Draft Special Video, they showed a graphic with McKenzie's rankings getting 85% of the 1st round picks over the last 8 or 9 years.

Pretty darn good IMO.

At the end of the TSN Draft Special Video, they showed a graphic with McKenzie's rankings getting 85% of the 1st round picks over the last 8 or 9 years.

Pretty darn good IMO.

That must be something like 85% of the players in his top 30 lists go in the first round. Because last year only 4 of his rankings lined up with their selection (Yakupov, Reilly, Grigorenko and Reinhart).

FWIW, last year McKenzie had Grigorenko and Girgensons ranked 12th and 13th, respectively. http://eyeonthesens....draft-rankings/

He also had Forsberg at 3 (went 11th). Lindholm at 15 (went 6th). Teravainen at 7 (went 18th). Etc...

Yea, if you're going to argue against Nichushkin, I don't think stats are the way to do it.

I'm not arguing against him. I'm just trying to see if there are comparable situations. His stats are troubling. Because obviously his size and skating ability are the only reason he's ranked this highly. I'm for taking Nichushkin because I like what I see in him, but I'm just not sure I love the idea of taking somebody who has never produced at a high level.

Especially considering he has said that he will not play in the AHL and will either be an NHL player or stay in the KHL.

Well, he wasn't top 10 but how about top 15...

http://www.hockeydb....y.php?pid=59430

Well played. Didn't even think about him when I said that. That worked out... well.

I'm not arguing against him. I'm just trying to see if there are comparable situations. His stats are troubling. Because obviously his size and skating ability are the only reason he's ranked this highly. I'm for taking Nichushkin because I like what I see in him, but I'm just not sure I love the idea of taking somebody who has never produced at a high level.

Especially considering he has said that he will not play in the AHL and will either be an NHL player or stay in the KHL.

He was the KHL ROY this past season and was very good in the KHL playoffs as a 17 year old.....Sounds pretty impressive to me.

He was the KHL ROY this past season and was very good in the KHL playoffs as a 17 year old.....Sounds pretty impressive to me.

I'm just wondering how he got that award with only 6 points in 18 games. He barely played in the KHL. I guess the reason his stats look so bad is because he's never played a full season anywhere. He's played a lot of 10-20 game patches with different teams.

I'm just wondering how he got that award with only 6 points in 18 games. He barely played in the KHL. I guess the reason his stats look so bad is because he's never played a full season anywhere. He's played a lot of 10-20 game patches with different teams.

Lots of International tournaments and a KHL trade: http://www.eliteprospects.com/player.php?player=108661

The Sabres have already taken a risk on one Russian that slipped in the draft, I'm not sure I'd go with two. Boom or bust, I guess.

Although having two Russians on the same team might work to the Sabres advantage. They both may feel much more comfortable playing in another country (with Nich barely knowing any english) if they had a fellow countryman there. When I think of drafting Nich I immidiately think it may help Grigorenko. Just a theory though, he would still obviously be a more risky boom/bust type pick. I've heard some say the raw talent is there and right near the top of this deep draft.

Although having two Russians on the same team might work to the Sabres advantage. They both may feel much more comfortable playing in another country (with Nich barely knowing any english) if they had a fellow countryman there. When I think of drafting Nich I immidiately think it may help Grigorenko. Just a theory though, he would still obviously be a more risky boom/bust type pick. I've heard some say the raw talent is there and right near the top of this deep draft.

Or we could take Zykov at 16 and get the same effect with less risk but also less reward.

Or we could take Zykov at 16 and get the same effect with less risk but also less reward.

The Russian connection worked out pretty well for the Red Wings.....Take elite level talent regardless of origin.....Especially in the case of the Buffalo Sabres.

The Russian connection worked out pretty well for the Red Wings.....Take elite level talent regardless of origin.....Especially in the case of the Buffalo Sabres.

I get the talent, but Nich (is it cool to use that nickname so I don't have to learn to spell?) really seems like a diva and far too cocky. Say he washes out (because he won't play and learn in the AHL or can't handle the North America game), and Grigorenko also washes out (I have *some* fears of this after his play last season), then we have Zagrapan*2. Not the way to start a rebuild.

I get the talent, but Nich (is it cool to use that nickname so I don't have to learn to spell?) really seems like a diva and far too cocky. Say he washes out (because he won't play and learn in the AHL or can't handle the North America game), and Grigorenko also washes out (I have *some* fears of this after his play last season), then we have Zagrapan*2. Not the way to start a rebuild.

I don't have a problem with him refusing the AHL. He currently holds his own in the second best league in the world. Why go to like the 8th best league? His stats seem fine to me, he played against men in a hard league - his points are more meaningful than Zagrapan's, stats are not the whole story for a player

The Draft is the highlight of my hockey year. I've been following this thread for a long time. Everyone has made very interesting comments and observations. It is a great read.

Here is my contribution:

What I think will happen is that we will trade our 8th and Stafford for Edmonton's 7th. This way we can get into the Top Seven category and select Lindholm. Edmonton will do this because they like Stafford and probably plan on selecting a defenseman anyway. This is the same move Darcy made to get Myers.

The Draft is the highlight of my hockey year. I've been following this thread for a long time. Everyone has made very interesting comments and observations. It is a great read.

Here is my contribution:

What I think will happen is that we will trade our 8th and Stafford for Edmonton's 7th. This way we can get into the Top Seven category and select Lindholm. Edmonton will do this because they like Stafford and probably plan on selecting a defenseman anyway. This is the same move Darcy made to get Myers.

I think this could very well happen if Lindholm is still there at 7.

Archived