2013 NHL Entry Draft: Buffalo Sabres Select...

LGR4GM

Jones or MacKinnon  

127 members have voted

1. 1. Which would you draft given the 1st overall pick?

• Seth Jones
    • Nathan MacKinnon
    • Jonathan Drouin
  2. 2. Who do you think the Sabres should draft at #8 overall?

• Sean Monahan
    • Elias Lindholm
    • Valeri Nichushkin
    • Ristolainen/Nurse/Zadarov/Other defender
    • Zach Fucale
    • Other, please post name

I believe you, but I don't necessarily believe the article. Then again, what does he care whether he's in purgatory here or in Alberta? It's still purgatory.

I think he's pretty much at the point where he doesn't care where he plays this year. But he will be selective on who he signs an extension with. So he might tell the other team "you won't get an extension out of me, but I'll come play there this year."

At which point that team wouldn't be willing to give much for him.

No way you get an extention with Vanek without a No Movement Clause. This scenario is ludicrous.

Perhaps, I'm not familiar with Vanek's preference to stay in Buffalo or not for the rebuild, and I don't pretend to be. I am merely putting out my opinion on TV's statement of not wanting to stick around for a lengthy rebuild, wihich it appears more and more that Regier is going that route.

I'm trying to find the article, but somebody for NBC had an article discussing potential trade targets and in it, it said that Miller has indicated to the Sabres that he won't get in the way of any deal.

So yea, I am serious.

We're talking about Vanek not Miller.

We're talking about Vanek not Miller.

You replied to two different posts so I got confused. But by "assumption," I meant that he would sign the deal as part of a trade. So he'd be signing it with his new team as opposed to the Sabres. In my scenario. I don't know what the other poster was talking about.

Pretty sure TVs agent isn't that stupid.

Pretty sure or 100% sure? I'd go towards the latter.

You replied to two different posts so I got confused. But by "assumption," I meant that he would sign the deal as part of a trade. So he'd be signing it with his new team as opposed to the Sabres. In my scenario. I don't know what the other poster was talking about.

But that's not possible because you can't sign a deal with a new team until after July 5.

So it looks like Nurse, Nichushkin, or Ristolainen at 8. So who do u select?

Out of those three, Nichushkin and then Nurse.

But that's not possible because you can't sign a deal with a new team until after July 5.

You can agree to a deal. Sorry for not using the exact word. So yes, it is possible...

Mckenzie is the man and his rankings depressed me because it didn't show my favourites making it to either 8 or 16.

Lindholm out of reach at five, Horvat, Domi, Shinkaruk and Wennberg all gone by 16.

Monahan at 7 could slip one, but Risto at 8 and Lazar and Erne (ranked 18 and 20) at 16 look like my best hopes, according to Bob, although he thinks Santini might be there at 38. Mantha, Mueller and Morin are the players he ranked around 16.

Button is an idiot, so I wont ge too worked up over getting Nichushkin (not a believer) and Mueller (NFW!) in his mock. This from a team trumpeting hard work as its latest solution.

I don't know if I'm sold on Nichushkin if he falls to 8. I personally like Domi and Horvat alot which I would love to get them both but I think people would be pissed if we selected Domi because of his size. I just hope Darcy can unload Miller for another 1st and then somehow move both 2nd's with one of next years second for another 1st. I think 4 first rounders would be a great way to start the rebuild.

No player would ever be allowed to sign a contract where their being immediately traded afterwards is based on a good faith assumption. That doesn't make any sense.

No player would ever be allowed to sign a contract where their being immediately traded afterwards is based on a good faith assumption. That doesn't make any sense.

No one was talking good faith.

Maybe Vanek has a destination he'd prefer, such as Tampa, where he can play on Stamkos wing. We just don't know what the possibilities are. I do agree that it's very unlikely, but not out of the realm of possible.

As for Vanek being traded, I see him as the only commodity the Sabres have that would get us remotely close to a top 3 pick, I just don't see Miller getting us there, and that includes packages for said pick. The deadline, as I voted in the other thread, is more than likely given the ability to maximize returns at that time.

Miller at the draft. In either case, Unless Buffalo gets into the top 3 to grab some potential franchise talent, it appears as though it's going to be a 4 to 5 year rebuild in order to achieve a sustainably competitive product on the ice imho.

All of this of course is speculative, but after watching 5 seasons of the "support" or "secondary" type players in an effort to build a product, I can't see how doing so again will achieve different results, new personnel or not.

So it looks like Nurse, Nichushkin, or Ristolainen at 8. So who do u select?

Its why i'd love that #10 pick from dallas, we could get 2 out of the following 4 players

Nurse, Nichushkin, Ristolainen or Lindholm.

Now #10 for Thomas vanek is a bit low for him, so maybe we can convince dallas to send the #28 pick along as well.

Then again you can't expect much for players with one year left on a contract, unless ruff can convince vanek to stay for more then one year with dallas.

Its why i'd love that #10 pick from dallas, we could get 2 out of the following 4 players

Nurse, Nichushkin, Ristolainen or Lindholm.

Now #10 for Thomas vanek is a bit low for him, so maybe we can convince dallas to send the #28 pick along as well.

Then again you can't expect much for players with one year left on a contract, unless ruff can convince vanek to stay for more then one year with dallas.

Vanek will only be a rental unless he signs an extension, #10 maybe too much. Maybe #10 and a prospect for Vanek and #16.

Vanek will only be a rental unless he signs an extension, #10 maybe too much. Maybe #10 and a prospect for Vanek and #16.

Go look up just about every single post lockout trade deadline deal for a top line winger. 1st round pick, prospect, player. That even applies to guys with expiring contracts. Take Jagr, older, slower, not in his prime got a conditional 2nd round pick (became a 1st rounder) and 2 prospects. Jarome Igninla, 1st round pick 2 prospects. Both are now UFA's

So if you are trying to tell us that Thomas Vanek one of the best snipers in the NHL and a guy who is always at the top for goals scored is worth #10 and a prospect but we have to through in 16... well you are wrong.

If you trade Vanek at the Draft you get 1st rounder, top prospect, roster-ed player. No one blinks twice at that deal because it is a well established market price.

Missed It

Go look up just about every single post lockout trade deadline deal for a top line winger. 1st round pick, prospect, player. That even applies to guys with expiring contracts. Take Jagr, older, slower, not in his prime got a conditional 2nd round pick (became a 1st rounder) and 2 prospects. Jarome Igninla, 1st round pick 2 prospects. Both are now UFA's

So if you are trying to tell us that Thomas Vanek one of the best snipers in the NHL and a guy who is always at the top for goals scored is worth #10 and a prospect but we have to through in 16... well you are wrong.

If you trade Vanek at the Draft you get 1st rounder, top prospect, roster-ed player. No one blinks twice at that deal because it is a well established market price.

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=426318

http://www.tsn.ca/dr...eature/?id=9420

TSN and Bob McKenzie rank the guys. They have MacKinnon as #1.

We know :P http://forums.sabrespace.com/topic/21694-2013-nhl-entry-draft-buffalo-sabres-select/page__st__2360#entry490440

Missed It

When discussing possible trades please keep in mind the teams and where they are as a franchise. Pittsburgh and Boston are not in the same position as Dallas is right now. Dallas would not be making the deal based on the idea that Vanek would be putting them over the top as Pittsburgh and Boston thought with Iginla and Jagr. Not all trade scenarios are equal which makes anticipating equal returns despite unequal circumstances a fatal flaw in your logic.

When discussing possible trades please keep in mind the teams and where they are as a franchise. Pittsburgh and Boston are not in the same position as Dallas is right now. Dallas would not be making the deal based on the idea that Vanek would be putting them over the top as Pittsburgh and Boston thought with Iginla and Jagr. Not all trade scenarios are equal which makes anticipating equal returns despite unequal circumstances a fatal flaw in your logic.

And you're assuming Regier would accept an awful return from Dallas when he could almost certainly get more elsewhere.

That's maybe too rich for my taste. But it's close to a deal I'd like. They get Vanek and #16 this year -- we get: #10, their top forward prospect (no idea if they have one worth wanting), and other pick(s) (maybe a second-rounder this year and a conditional next year based on Vanek's performance).

You brought up #10, all I am saying is Vanek is equivalent to more than a #10 pick. In the deepest draft of of the past decade this guy went #5 overall. If a team like Dallas thinks they can sign him by proving they aren't in frame off restoration mode, he probably would.

That's maybe too rich for my taste. But it's close to a deal I'd like. They get Vanek and #16 this year -- we get: #10, their top forward prospect (no idea if they have one worth wanting), and other pick(s) (maybe a second-rounder this year and a conditional next year based on Vanek's performance).

Again a 29 yr old top of the NHL winger is worth more to just about everyone than what you are suggesting. Stop assuming another team will not get him and resign him.

Imagine you trade X,y, z for Vanek and then you get him to sign on for 5/6years at 7.25 per. That gives you plenty of time to take several shots at a good playoff run.

And you're assuming Regier would accept an awful return from Dallas when he could almost certainly get more elsewhere.

I'm not making any assumptions.

You brought up #10, all I am saying is Vanek is equivalent to more than a #10 pick. In the deepest draft of of the past decade this guy went #5 overall. If a team like Dallas thinks they can sign him by proving they aren't in frame off restoration mode, he probably would.

Again a 29 yr old top of the NHL winger is worth more to just about everyone than what you are suggesting. Stop assuming another team will not get him and resign him.

Imagine you trade X,y, z for Vanek and then you get him to sign on for 5/6years at 7.25 per. That gives you plenty of time to take several shots at a good playoff run.

Actually the #10 pick was brought up by another poster.

I doubt Dallas gives up the #10 in a "deep draft" on the hopes that they can resign him. That's a huge gamble that can set Dallas back if Vanek hits the UFA market after the season. Vanek on the Stars doesn't make them a playoff team. To burn the #10 pick along with half of their available cap space just doesn't make any sense.

I'm not making any assumptions.

Actually the #10 pick was brought up by another poster.

I doubt Dallas gives up the #10 in a "deep draft" on the hopes that they can resign him. That's a huge gamble that can set Dallas back if Vanek hits the UFA market after the season. Vanek on the Stars doesn't make them a playoff team. To burn the #10 pick along with half of their available cap space just doesn't make any sense.

I completely agree that Vanek to Dallas does not make sense. However a #10 pick plus other stuff for Vanek would be my guess at the going rate.

Maybe instead of performance you base additional return on the ability of the Stars to sign Vanek. If the Stars sign Vanek, have that second rounder turn into their #1 pick last season Radek Faksa, a big center out of the Czech Republic.

I completely agree that Vanek to Dallas does not make sense. However a #10 pick plus other stuff for Vanek would be my guess at the going rate.

I do not disagree that Vanek should get the Sabres a nice return, specific to trade with Dallas and the #10 pick, the value just isn't there for Dallas. Their position is closer to Buffalo's than a contender.

There are possible destinations that make sense that can garner a top pick return. Philly at #11, NJ at #9 and Edmonton at #7 could view Vanek as a missing piece. Imagine a NJ power play with Vanek and Kovy?

Archived