2013 NHL Entry Draft: Buffalo Sabres Select...

LGR4GM

Jones or MacKinnon  

127 members have voted

1. 1. Which would you draft given the 1st overall pick?

• Seth Jones
    • Nathan MacKinnon
    • Jonathan Drouin
  2. 2. Who do you think the Sabres should draft at #8 overall?

• Sean Monahan
    • Elias Lindholm
    • Valeri Nichushkin
    • Ristolainen/Nurse/Zadarov/Other defender
    • Zach Fucale
    • Other, please post name

Vanek does nothing to offset that? And it's not like we haven't had any disappointing North American 1st round picks...unless, of course, you're perfectly satisfied with Stafford :P

Well, I led the anti Vanek bandwagon for a long time before you got here so I have mixed feelings. Talent like TV's doesn't come around very often but I'd prefer his skills wrapped in mike Richards or Milan Lucic's type game. A guy who brings the pain rather than receives it and scores goals.

I've been doing some browsing at mock drafts and am surprised by how many have us picking Mirco Mueller at 16. He sounds like Henrik Tallinder with some grit and might not be a bad prospect.

But he has not been on my radar at all, and does not match what I think the team will be looking for.

Are the writers just spitballing at a guy they see ranked around there, or has anyone actually heard that we've had interest in him?

EDIT: I see Bakes has him as a potential target for us at 38.

I know but the Zagrpan/Kryukov hangover is hard to shake

Elias Lindholm may fix that for you. If he is available we really should get him. If it is Nich... I am far less sure.

I've been doing some browsing at mock drafts and am surprised by how many have us picking Mirco Mueller at 16. He sounds like Henrik Tallinder with some grit and might not be a bad prospect.

But he has not been on my radar at all, and does not match what I think the team will be looking for.

Are the writers just spitballing at a guy they see ranked around there, or has anyone actually heard that we've had interest in him?

EDIT: I see Bakes has him as a potential target for us at 38.

Yea, Mueller is ranked in the 2nd round by most if not all people. Idk why they have him up there. I don't think he is on our radar at 16. At 38, he wouldn't be bad.

I really think we will focus on offense in the first round if we can. There is a severe muddling of the defensive rankings after the top 4 or so. Jones, Nurse, Ristolainen, Zadarov. Then it is anyones guess.

I just finished watching the highlights of the 2003 draft they aired yesterday on TSN. I've changed my stance and really hope they keep all 4 picks in the first two rounds and only trade up one of the second's if they're very sure on who they are trading up for. There were several big time picks that year that came outside of the top 5. The Ducks don't win the cup without landing Getzlaf AND Perry late in the first round.

This is exactly why I am bewildered as to why some folks want to package up both first rounders and a 2nd to move up. If this is anything like 2003, I add more 1st/2nd rounders by trading veterans. There are some guys like Marko Dano, that I thought were sure fire 1st rounders when watching the World Juniors. Not even sure if he projects to the 2nd round this year. This draft is really deep.

This is exactly why I am bewildered as to why some folks want to package up both first rounders and a 2nd to move up. If this is anything like 2003, I add more 1st/2nd rounders by trading veterans. There are some guys like Marko Dano, that I thought were sure fire 1st rounders when watching the World Juniors. Not even sure if he projects to the 2nd round this year. This draft is really deep.

Middle of the 2nd.

http://lastwordonsports.com/2013/06/04/marko-dano-2013-nhl-draft-player-profile-53/

If Lindholm or Nichushkin are available at 8 I will pee myself with delight.

I don't think they will be.

Lindholm may just because he has said he is honoring his Swiss league contract and will not play in the upcoming season. I think that makes Calgary and Edmonton think twice. Calgary goes with Monahan and Edmonton takes Nurse. Both of those players have a shot of being in the NHL next season.

Middle of the 2nd.

http://lastwordonspo...yer-profile-53/

Lindholm may just because he has said he is honoring his Swiss league contract and will not play in the upcoming season. I think that makes Calgary and Edmonton think twice. Calgary goes with Monahan and Edmonton takes Nurse. Both of those players have a shot of being in the NHL next season.

Calgary isn't winning a thing next season - they can be patient.

Edmonton is no guarantee to stay at 7, they can drop to the mid teens and still get a great defense-man not named Jones.

Edmonton is no guarantee to stay at 7, they can drop to the mid teens and still get a great defense-man not named Jones.

No matter how good this draft is supposed to be, no one outside of the top 3 is going to base their decision on whether or not the guy will play this year. That's just plain foolish. No 19 year old is going to suddenly put these crappy teams over the top.

We have a pick in the mid teens.

Just sayin'.

I firmly believe a team like Calgary is in HELP NOW mode because they are so screwed up. It has nothing to do with cup runs but they want something resembling a team sooner rather than later. GM's like keeping their jobs and sometimes the need to fill a hole overrides the notion of waiting... See Mikhail Grigorenko.

I firmly believe a team like Calgary is in HELP NOW mode because they are so screwed up. It has nothing to do with cup runs but they want something resembling a team sooner rather than later. GM's like keeping their jobs and sometimes the need to fill a hole overrides the notion of waiting... See Mikhail Grigorenko.

Calgary traded up to take a long term project they won't see for years last year. They've already shown they are more than willing to wait. One more crappy season last year shouldn't suddenly change Feaster's approach (if he remains to call the shots). They're weak at both the NHL level and in their prospect pool, so if anyone is pushing for an immediate rebound there, they're making a huge mistake.

Calgary traded up to take a long term project they won't see for years last year. They've already shown they are more than willing to wait. One more crappy season last year shouldn't suddenly change Feaster's approach (if he remains to call the shots). They're weak at both the NHL level and in their prospect pool, so if anyone is pushing for an immediate rebound there, they're making a huge mistake.

guess we shall see draft day. I still feel they take Monahan.

As I have said before, It wouldn't surprise me to see the TBL take Barkov at 3, especially in light of the Vinny buyout.

I agree, but they now have a tough choice to make. Drouin ensures Stamkos continues his production for the rest of his career. Barkov gives them a 1-2 punch as well as a more shutdown player as Stamkos isn't great defensively. I think they go with Barkov, but Drouin has to be tough to pass over

This article is precisely what is wrong with the NHL. They are lazy and unprofessional. It was written by By Adam Kimelman - NHL.com Deputy Managing Editor. I will let you figure out what is missing...

http://www.nhl.com/i...s.htm?id=675481

Well that settles it.

The Buffalo Sabres are, indeed, *hockey heven*.

According to this joker the Sabres are perfect in every way. Good grief ...

This article is precisely what is wrong with the NHL. They are lazy and unprofessional. It was written by By Adam Kimelman - NHL.com Deputy Managing Editor. I will let you figure out what is missing...

http://www.nhl.com/i...s.htm?id=675481

Well that settles it.

The Buffalo Sabres are, indeed, *hockey heven*.

According to this joker the Sabres are perfect in every way. Good grief ...

So are the Leafs.

Leaving out Toronto and Buffalo, two of the biggest hockey markets. NHL.com might be the worst website ever if you include their horrible web design and antiquated scripts.

The Buffalo Sabres are no longer in the NHL :cry:

Yea NHL.com sucks more than a crack fiend.

Archived