The other sports thread

Eleven

It's only May. Lets see what happens in October.

+++++

The Raptors dominated in the regular season. Everyone, including me, had high hopes that this would be the year that the beat LeBron. NOT HAPPENING!!

October prediction: The Blue Jays suck!

And the raptors will never beat LeBron.

So the Texas Rangers are starting to play some decent baseball.... up to about .500 over their last few games.  The interesting thing is that they have several injuries including pretty much all of their infield, and the substitutes are doing pretty well in the field but more surprisingly, with the bat.  Isaiah Kiner-Falefa looks like a future superstar; not sure Rougned Odor is getting his old job back when his hamstring heals.

Jurickson Profar, who dropped from the top prospect in all of baseball to utility infielder, has been thriving at the plate with the extra playing time.  He drove in the winning run with a triple last night.  Delino DeShields is evolving from a speedy leadoff guy who gets on via the walk to a guy with some pop in his bat- three run homer a couple games ago.  He's still fast as hell on the base paths and in center field.  Nomar Mazara, aka The Big Chill, continues to evolve and improve his game.  Joey Gallo is filling Josh Hamilton's old spot as the big home run hitter, but he's got a much better eye that Josh had.  He's also becoming more versatile, learning to use the whole field to defeat the shift.  He even laid down a bunt.  With Elvis Andrus and Adrian Beltre out with injuries, Gallo has emerged as a locker room leader.

They're 8 games out of a WC spot, but if they can start stringing wins together, who knows?  In the meantime, it's fun to see the youth doing well.

October prediction: The Blue Jays suck!

And the raptors will never beat LeBron.

The Raptors will only be able to beat LeBron once he has retired.

It's that time of year again when Canada stops pretending to care about basketball.

Generally we don't care and the Raptors give us a bit of wishful thinking until they meet up with LeBron.  The Raptors are the Blue Jays of '87 every year.

The Raptors will only be able to beat LeBron once he has retired.

Generally we don't care and the Raptors give us a bit of wishful thinking until they meet up with LeBron.  The Raptors are the Blue Jays of '87 every year.

Not to throw salt in the wound, but the Cavs have beaten Toronto in 10 straight playoff games, an NBA record, and both sweeps culminated on May 7.

The only people in NBA history who have had more than 2 consecutive postseasons with a series sweep are LeBron and LeBron's teammates.

I read a crazy stat - Kobe and Jordan combined for 10 playoff games in their careers with 30 points, 8+ rebounds, and 9+ assists, or something like that. 

Those are Lebron's average per game over his last 30 playoff games. 

Slightly cherrypicked probably due to the nature of Lebron's game relative to theirs, and I don't know enough about basketball to know its relevance, but that's amazing either way.

I read a crazy stat - Kobe and Jordan combined for 10 playoff games in their careers with 30 points, 8+ rebounds, and 9+ assists, or something like that. 

Those are Lebron's average per game over his last 30 playoff games. 

Slightly cherrypicked probably due to the nature of Lebron's game relative to theirs, and I don't know enough about basketball to know its relevance, but that's amazing either way.

I haven't watched basketball since Patrick Ewing and John Starks still played for the Knicks (90's) but that's definitely cherry picking. Jordan and Kobe were guards so they are never going to get a bunch of rebounds where Lebron is a power forward (I think) so he's much more likely to be in position to get more rebounds. That being said I don't like any of them so I don't really have a horse in the race.

I haven't watched basketball since Patrick Ewing and John Starks still played for the Knicks (90's) but that's definitely cherry picking. Jordan and Kobe were guards so they are never going to get a bunch of rebounds where Lebron is a power forward (I think) so he's much more likely to be in position to get more rebounds. That being said I don't like any of them so I don't really have a horse in the race.

That's what I meant to address with the "nature of Lebron's game" comment

That's what I meant to address with the "nature of Lebron's game" comment

I figured. It's more than just the way he plays the game though, it his position. Similar to trying to equate the scoring production of forwards vs defensemen in hockey. In reality, I just hate Lebron James so I don't want to give him any credit whatsoever.

I figured. It's more than just the way he plays the game though, it his position. Similar to trying to equate the scoring production of forwards vs defensemen in hockey. In reality, I just hate Lebron James so I don't want to give him any credit whatsoever.

I respect this level of irrational hatred

I figured. It's more than just the way he plays the game though, it his position. Similar to trying to equate the scoring production of forwards vs defensemen in hockey. In reality, I just hate Lebron James so I don't want to give him any credit whatsoever.

Except LeBron can, and does, play every position on the floor. He's more of a point forward than small forward anyway. His game means FAR more to his stats than his formal position on the depth chart. Of course, as someone who hasn't watched the league in nearly 20 years, I wouldn't expect you to appreciate what he does and how he does it.

Not to throw salt in the wound, but the Cavs have beaten Toronto in 10 straight playoff games, an NBA record, and both sweeps culminated on May 7.

The only people in NBA history who have had more than 2 consecutive postseasons with a series sweep are LeBron and LeBron's teammates.

If I'm reading this correctly, the Chicago Bulls might want a word.

But can he skate? :p

I know you're joking, but I'd bet he can skate. And if he can't skate, I'd bet he could figure it out pretty quickly. I mean, in all honesty, skating isn't that hard.

I haven't watched basketball since Patrick Ewing and John Starks still played for the Knicks (90's) but that's definitely cherry picking. Jordan and Kobe were guards so they are never going to get a bunch of rebounds where Lebron is a power forward (I think) so he's much more likely to be in position to get more rebounds. That being said I don't like any of them so I don't really have a horse in the race.

Technically I think LeBron is a small forward or point forward but he can play all 5 spots so I don't think it matters. I'm not a huge fan of his but he's doing things no one ever has. He's not the assassin that MJ or Kobe were but athletically he can't really be rivaled. The only guys I've ever seen with his ability at Vince Carter and Shawn Kemp. Just freaky guys who could jump out of the gym and do things with their bodies no one else is capable of. Now the guys I mentioned are no where near the player LeBron is.

I'm just gonna go ahead and say it: LeBron is the best basketball player ever, and he might be the greatest pure athlete I've ever seen.

Not that I necessarily disagree with you but every generation has a greatest player, Lebron just happens to be in this one.

Bo Jackson, Deion Sanders, Carl Lewis to name a few would have to be ranked up there also if not Wilt Chamberlain who not only is in the Basketball HOF but also the Volleyball HOF.

Not that I necessarily disagree with you but every generation has a greatest player, Lebron just happens to be in this one.

Bo Jackson, Deion Sanders, Carl Lewis to name a few would have to be ranked up there also if not Wilt Chamberlain who not only is in the Basketball HOF but also the Volleyball HOF.

Bo Jackson is the greatest pure athlete ever

Jim Thorpe.  Serena Williams.

Bo Jackson is the greatest pure athlete ever

Jim Thorpe again.

Except LeBron can, and does, play every position on the floor. He's more of a point forward than small forward anyway. His game means FAR more to his stats than his formal position on the depth chart. Of course, as someone who hasn't watched the league in nearly 20 years, I wouldn't expect you to appreciate what he does and how he does it.

He doesn't need any appreciation from me. He gets enough ball washing from others here and in the media. I hope he dies in a fire.

I saw Carl Lewis throw out a ceremonial first pitch. Not an athlete.