The other sports thread

Eleven

Still credit Epstein for that

He had been gone for a few years at that point.  His last few teams in Boston were pretty lackluster.  He saddled them with a bunch of big money players that bombed.  One of his last parting gifts was Carl Crawford (still can't believe LA bailed them out of that one).  I'm not sure why I'm digging too much into this as I haven't watched baseball in years now, but living out there, his run there definitely fizzled out in the end.  I'm blanking on the name of his replacement, but that guy definitely had to do a ton initially to get that team back up their in 2013.

He had been gone for a few years at that point.  His last few teams in Boston were pretty lackluster.  He saddled them with a bunch of big money players that bombed.  One of his last parting gifts was Carl Crawford (still can't believe LA bailed them out of that one).  I'm not sure why I'm digging too much into this as I haven't watched baseball in years now, but living out there, his run there definitely fizzled out in the end.  I'm blanking on the name of his replacement, but that guy definitely had to do a ton initially to get that team back up their in 2013.

IIRC, and maybe I don't, but the core of that team was still an Epstein team. Pedroia, Ortiz, Lester, Jackie Bradley Jr, Ellsbury, Bucholtz and Lackey. Not surprisingly, Lackey and Lester left and eventually went back to Epstein on the Cubs

There we go, Dusty.  That's what's called a smart move.

Notice how Chicago's first pitching move was to trade out Arrieta for Mo?

That's why they wish they had started Mo to begin with.

You did well, Dusty.  Well.

Edited by Eleven

@justinddiamond
Indians World Series Appearances: 1920, 1948, 1954, 1995, 1997, 2016

Yankees World Series Appearances: 1921, 1949, 1955, 1996, 1998..

Spot the pattern

Root for the Nats with me.

I will be. Yankees fan overall, but the Nats hold a piece of me because of Harper

Edited by WildCard

@justinddiamond
Indians World Series Appearances: 1920, 1948, 1954, 1995, 1997, 2016

Yankees World Series Appearances: 1921, 1949, 1955, 1996, 1998..

Spot the pattern

I will be. Yankees fan overall, but the Nats hold a piece of me because of Harper

Both teams sucked from 1957 through 1995. Did I win?

Let's see...

'99, up 2-0 on the Red Sox, lose series 2-3.

'07, up 3-1 on the Red Sox, lose series 3-4.

'16, up 3-1 on the Cubs, lose series 3-4.

'17, up 2-0 on the Yankees, lose series 2-3.

Anyone see the pattern? :(

The only outlier to this pattern since '99 was '01, and even then it was almost the same story: up 2-1 and lost 2-3 to the Mariners.

I really expected a bunch of Yankees posts in this thread after last night, but its oddly silent. Did you all give up on the pinstripes?

Gray can pitch in the big game, he's proven it. It's also the reason we traded for him

huh?

I can't stand when fans use "we" when referring to teams. It's a pet peeve of mine. Especially for Yankees fans in WNY who think they are the home team even though they are 6+ hours away and the 5th closest team geographically (Toronto, Cleveland, Pittsburgh, Detroit). 

Kate Upton should be at all sporting events.

It couldn't hurt. :flirt:

I really expected a bunch of Yankees posts in this thread after last night, but its oddly silent. Did you all give up on the pinstripes?

I can't stand when fans use "we" when referring to teams. It's a pet peeve of mine. Especially for Yankees fans in WNY who think they are the home team even though they are 6+ hours away and the 5th closest team geographically (Toronto, Cleveland, Pittsburgh, Detroit). 

It couldn't hurt. :flirt:

Eh, never got all the angst about that. To each their own

Big game tonight. Really need to win this to avoid seeing Keuchel/Verlander in elimination games