The other sports thread

Eleven

Stanton just all over the Marlins at his introductory presser. Talked about how there's no structure, they have no sort of identity/management, they're in complete rebuild mode again, and that the fans should just stop watching/watch from afar because it's going to be that ugly, again.

Stanton just ###### all over the Marlins at his introductory presser. Talked about how there's no structure, they have no sort of identity/management, they're in complete rebuild mode again, and that the fans should just stop watching/watch from afar because it's going to be that ugly, again.

This Stanton guy is a real wanker.

Does he not know the cardinal rule of never pooping on a former employer?

It's so hard for me to not want to burn everything on Earth to the ground right now. Would everyone be OK if the Angels trades Mike Trout to the Red Sox for Dustin Pedrioa?

I'm trying to figure this out. Are you mad at the Yankees for being the Yankees? The Yankees for making a good move? Or the Marlins for doing what the Marlins have always done?

The Marlins had a meeting with Stanton. Stanton asked them to add pitching, they said they would be subtracting, not adding. He said trade me. They said great, we don't want to pay you anyway. They Yankees and Stanton had all the leverage and the Marlins got hosed. All 3 parties got exactly what they wanted. And the Red Sox never had any interest.

I'm trying to figure this out. Are you mad at the Yankees for being the Yankees? The Yankees for making a good move? Or the Marlins for doing what the Marlins have always done?

The Marlins had a meeting with Stanton. Stanton asked them to add pitching, they said they would be subtracting, not adding. He said trade me. They said great, we don't want to pay you anyway. They Yankees and Stanton had all the leverage and the Marlins got hosed. All 3 parties got exactly what they wanted. And the Red Sox never had any interest.

There is no way the Yankee offer was the best they could get. Zero.

Is this the "we didn't even know he was available!" version of no offer being made? Sort of like when the Bruins traded Hamilton for a sack of potatoes, and the entire league did a WTF wave?

Who didn't know he was available? He was being shopped for over a week before the Yankees even made a phone call.

You Yankee fans are hilariously defensive about this :lol:

I just don't understand what there is to be so worked up about? The Marlins do this every few years. I don't remember bitching when the Red Sox picked up Josh Beckett and Mike Lowell for peanuts. This is the Marlins business plan. Well, that and over their fanbase.

And I thought you hated baseball?

Anyway, the Yankees win big and everyone else can go cry about it for a while. I'll be cooking up whamburgers and french cries for everyone.

I just don't understand what there is to be so worked up about? The Marlins do this every few years. I don't remember bitching when the Red Sox picked up Josh Beckett and Mike Lowell for peanuts. This is the Marlins business plan. Well, that and ###### over their fanbase.

And I thought you hated baseball?

Anyway, the Yankees win big and everyone else can go cry about it for a while. I'll be cooking up whamburgers and french cries for everyone.

It took you this long to catch on? I honestly couldn't care less about this. It's just so easy to prod Yankee fans, I almost feel bad :p

It's so hard for me to not want to burn everything on Earth to the ground right now. Would everyone be OK if the Angels trades Mike Trout to the Red Sox for Dustin Pedrioa?

The only player I'd get mad at you guys for getting would be Harper, because he's my favorite player. I wouldn't actually mind if you got Trout, because then I'd at least get to see him, and the rivalry would be amazing again

Stanton is going to be nice for a couple years. But he has a stupidly bad contract, is the type of player that can/will likely decline very sharply, and this means we probably can't spend $400M on Harper like I wanted to. I'm very indifferent to this move

Pretty much. The Marlins always do this, because they're dumb. That place is a tire fire and will be for years 

There is no way the Yankee offer was the best they could get. Zero.

Eh like ubkev said, Stanton really forced them. They should have just held onto him another year and then traded him when other options opened up. The Marlins also did the hilariously stupid thing of negotiating with teams Stanton had no interest in going to, knowing he didn't, and then making him look like a dick in public when he rejected those trades. They burned themselves

It took you this long to catch on? I honestly couldn't care less about this. It's just so easy to prod Yankee fans, I almost feel bad :P

I used to get mad. Now I find it funny just to bask in being the evil empire. If everyone is going to get mad at you for this-that-and-the-other, might as well enjoy the benefits it has. Plus, it's nice having a team that's the , unlike the loveable losers in Buffalo. Sometimes, you just wanna be the Pats, and watch the world burn

I'm not trying to be a dick, but it's been reported Stanton was open to going to Boston, and Dembrowski didn't even inquire about him. That makes no sense to me. They were near bottom in HR last year, have a great amount of young talent...Stanton would have fit perfectly there. Makes me wonder if they didn't have the money because of Sandoval, or if they're saving for Machado/Harper

Also, I'm kinda amazed MLB didn't veto this; they vetoed A-Rod to Boston (can't remember why), and this seems like something that could very well have been vetoed. 

Edited by Jokertecken

Also, I'm kinda amazed MLB didn't veto this; they vetoed A-Rod to Boston (can't remember why), and this seems like something that could very well have been vetoed.

And you wonder why I'm pissed? Yeah, where the is the commissioner.

I just don't understand what there is to be so worked up about? The Marlins do this every few years. I don't remember bitching when the Red Sox picked up Josh Beckett and Mike Lowell for peanuts. This is the Marlins business plan. Well, that and ###### over their fanbase.

Time out. Hanley Ramirez and Anabel Sanchez were peanuts? Ramirez was a 30/100/.300 player for them for nearly a decade and Sanchez was still and effective big leaguer last I checked. That would be akin to the Yankees trading Glyber Torres and Clint Frazier. If that was the deal, I wouldn't lament this trade at all. It's the fact they gave up a spare part. Nothing, nobody, a guy they won't miss for one second.

The MLB players union wouldn't let A-Rod take less money than he was guaranteed to go to Boston. The Sox were attempting to restructure his deal and the union said nope.

Had A-Rod gone to Boston and the whole 2004 season played out the same, Alex Rodriguez would be a beloved, immortal baseball God. Adored by all except Yankee fans. And I'm willing to bet he'd have either never been exposed as a juicer or he'd have been immediately forgiven like Big Papi.

But instead, the Yankees traded an all star second baseman for the reigning HR king. The had a 100 million dollar infield. And they took 6 years to win a world series.

And you wonder why I'm pissed? Yeah, where the ###### is the commissioner.

Time out. Hanley Ramirez and Anabel Sanchez were peanuts? Ramirez was a 30/100/.300 player for them for nearly a decade and Sanchez was still and effective big leaguer last I checked. That would be akin to the Yankees trading Glyber Torres and Clint Frazier. If that was the deal, I wouldn't lament this trade at all. It's the fact they gave up a spare part. Nothing, nobody, a guy they won't miss for one second.

Hanley was their top prospect, yes. Sanchez has more career losses than he does wins. Josh Beckett and Mike Lowell were World Series MVP's. Mike Lowell is now in the Red Sox hall of fame.

Starlin Castro is an all star second baseman. And I freaking loved having him on the Yankees. Furthermore, the Yankees absolutely killed this deal and I think it's hilarious how pissed BoSox fans are. Eat it, Boston. You're the same as the Yankees and you have been for over a decade.

The MLB players union wouldn't let A-Rod take less money than he was guaranteed to go to Boston. The Sox were attempting to restructure his deal and the union said nope.

Had A-Rod gone to Boston and the whole 2004 season played out the same, Alex Rodriguez would be a beloved, immortal baseball God. Adored by all except Yankee fans. And I'm willing to bet he'd have either never been exposed as a juicer or he'd have been immediately forgiven like Big Papi.

But instead, the Yankees traded an all star second baseman for the reigning HR king. The had a 100 million dollar infield. And they took 6 years to win a world series.

Ah yeah, now I remember. The union wanted to make sure they're guy got paid what his contract deemed, so it didn't screw over future players.

I've said it before and I'll say it again. You cannot buy a championship. Webster showed me awhile back that, despite the only league not having a salary cap, it's the one with the most parity, championship wise that is

I'm not arguing the sanctity of the Sox. They are a dirty shameful org, just like the Yankees. This is dark day in baseball, for allowing this crap to happen without even a "wait a minute".

The darkest thing in baseball is that the biggest Japanese prospect since Matsui is stuck on the LA Angels, where him and the greatest player in the last 50 years will never sniff a WS because they have 0 prospects, and are stuck paying the albatross that is Albert Pujols $30M a year until 2022. If the MLB should do anything, it's demand the Angels move Mike Trout. I still can't believe he was dumb enough to sign there long term. At least the Nationals have been really, really good with Harper, the Cubs have been successful to put their young stars on the big stage, and even the Orioles have had success with Machado

Man, Albert Pujols was a freaking great ball player.... Oh, nothing, I was just daydreaming of that time he changed Brad Lidge's religion. Smug, , Clemens looking on in the dugout.

Trout signed an extension before the Angels actually had to pay him anything. It was a good move for him he made a lot of money at a very young age. He didn't have to play 6 seasons. He gave up 3 years of free agency and when he hits it in 2020 he's going to get a billion dollars. The club did right by him, in my opinion. They ain't gonna win sh!t, but they were more than fair to Mike Trout.

Man, Albert Pujols was a freaking great ball player.... Oh, nothing, I was just daydreaming of that time he changed Brad Lidge's religion. Smug, ######, Clemens looking on in the dugout.

Trout signed an extension before the Angels actually had to pay him anything. It was a good move for him he made a lot of money at a very young age. He didn't have to play 6 seasons. He gave up 3 years of free agency and when he hits it in 2020 he's going to get a billion dollars. The club did right by him, in my opinion. They ain't gonna win sh!t, but they were more than fair to Mike Trout.

They paid him sure, but he gave up 3 years in his prime, and more money during those 3 years, to be stuck in that black hole. There's a reason he wins the MVP every year and somehow most non-baseball fans don't even know who he is. Judge was the face of baseball this year, and he had 1 year that hardly even touches Trout's average years