The other sports thread

Eleven

Sox in 04 was better(###### them!)

Uconn men's hoops in 2011 was better(###### them too!)

I thought James was pretty incredible all series. Irving was pretty damn good too. Other than that I thought the series provided a ton of very bad basketball. And I might go as far as to call it a Golden State choke job. 5 blowout games and 2 good games. Ugly series. Entertaining game 7,but not an all time great series.

Your rocker? You're off it.

So, when's the last time a city had 2 runners up in major sports in the same season? (SJ / Oak / SF are close enough to count as 1 for this discussion. ;))

(My guess would be Boston in the '80's, but suppose LA or NYC might have turned the trick since.)

So, when's the last time a city had 2 runners up in major sports in the same season? (SJ / Oak / SF are close enough to count as 1 for this discussion. ;))

(My guess would be Boston in the '80's, but suppose LA or NYC might have turned the trick since.)

Hockey, basketball and...? Edited by WildCard

Any chance crying LeBron replaces crying Jordan on twitter?

I think there's an argument for the Sox series. But UConn? Hell nah.

Crying Jordan is too good

I mean, the Sox has the rivalry, David-Goliath, A-Rod FA, the bloody sock and The Curse, but Game 7 was a blowout, it wasn't a Championship game (they swept the Cards to win it all), and they didn't beat arguably the greatest team ever, with the first unanimous MVP in league history

???

Bay area just lost 2 championship series.

I got thrown off by the listing of 3 cities Edited by WildCard

Just nonsensical rambling and yelling

Good point, I didn't hear him talking, I heard him yelling.

Check out @ByCasagrande's Tweet: https://twitter.com/ByCasagrande/status/744725946247221249?s=09

THEY STOLE A FIRE TRUCK.

Just some good samaritans want to put out any fires that erupt.

Then there's this:

LeBron at 31: 3 rings, 4 MVPs Jordan at 31: 3 rings, 3 MVPs

He still has time...

Good point, I didn't hear him talking, I heard him yelling.

Just some good samaritans want to put out any fires that erupt.

Then there's this:

LeBron at 31: 3 rings, 4 MVPs Jordan at 31: 3 rings, 3 MVPs

He still has time...

Like I said before the game, I think this title makes LeBron the clear cut #2 behind MJ.

If LeBron wins another title or two (or hell, why not three?), then I think he can achieve 1B status to Jordan's 1A.

In the same calendar year:

2003: Yankees and Nets both lost. Nets still played in Jersey at the time, of course, but probably lots of crossover fans. The Devils won the Cup that year though, so they all got over it. We won't really count this one though...

2001: The Yankees and NY Giants both lost. The NJ Devils also lost in the Cup finals that year. Tons of fans that root for the Yankees/Giants combo in NYC, and probably a lot of fans in NJ that rooted for all three that year.

1999: The Atlanta Falcons and Braves both lost.

1986: The Patriots and Red Sox both lost, but the Celtics won it all that year. 

1980: The 76ers and Flyers both lost, but the Phillies won it all that year. Strange theme!

I gave up at 1980 :P 

I think there's an argument for the Sox series. But UConn? Hell nah.

They were the 9th best team in the Big East. They won 5 games in 5 nights just to get into the dance. Then they ran that table too. I flipping hate Uconn, but that was crazy.

In the same calendar year:

2003: Yankees and Nets both lost. Nets still played in Jersey at the time, of course, but probably lots of crossover fans. The Devils won the Cup that year though, so they all got over it. We won't really count this one though...

2001: The Yankees and NY Giants both lost. The NJ Devils also lost in the Cup finals that year. Tons of fans that root for the Yankees/Giants combo in NYC, and probably a lot of fans in NJ that rooted for all three that year.

1999: The Atlanta Falcons and Braves both lost.

1986: The Patriots and Red Sox both lost, but the Celtics won it all that year. 

1980: The 76ers and Flyers both lost, but the Phillies won it all that year. Strange theme!

I gave up at 1980 :P

Thanks for checking that. I remembered Bah-stahn losing all 4 championships in ~4 years in the late 80's, so figured they had a good shot at it. (Celtics won once in that span but pretty sure they lost 2 through it, so the city netted 0-4.) Forgot the others.

:beer:

Thanks for checking that. I remembered Bah-stahn losing all 4 championships in ~4 years in the late 80's, so figured they had a good shot at it. (Celtics won once in that span but pretty sure they lost 2 through it, so the city netted 0-4.) Forgot the others.

:beer:

Yeah, Boston lost A LOT in the late 80s. I wish I was alive to hear them whine  :nana:

86- Patriots lose

86- Red Sox lose

87- Celtics lose

88- Bruins lose

There was a Celtics win in 86 thrown in there, but still. 

They were the 9th best team in the Big East. They won 5 games in 5 nights just to get into the dance. Then they ran that table too. I flipping hate Uconn, but that was crazy.

It was crazy, just not on this level. Best regular season record of all time, first unanimous MVP in history, and no team ever coming from down 3-1 to win a series. 

It's gonna be super awkward when LeBron trades Love now, right?  :ph34r:

It was crazy, just not on this level. Best regular season record of all time, first unanimous MVP in history, and no team ever coming from down 3-1 to win a series.

It's gonna be super awkward when LeBron trades Love now, right? :ph34r:

For Melo? Those were the early rumors but I don't seem him being a fit either.

The storyline is great. I'll give you that. But the story is very thin to me because of how bad the basketball was. 30 point blow out after 30 point blow out. If you're writing that story you're writing game winning shots, trading leads, bad blood.

Lacking

...in my opinion, of course.

For Melo? Those were the early rumors but I don't seem him being a fit either.

Ugh, if the Knicks lost Melo for Kevin Love, I would have an aneurysm! And the Knicks suck already!

Ugh, if the Knicks lost Melo for Kevin Love, I would have an aneurysm! And the Knicks suck already!

I have a feeling that Lue will find a way to fix this and make Love a very useful player this offseason. It was pretty brutal at times when they used him strictly as a stretch 4 off the ball. If he's constantly sitting in the corner spectating/waiting for a kickout as LeBron or Kyrie drive, then he's not able to get those big offensive boards. And in this series, he was always going to be guarding an opposing stretch "4" (4 in quotations because GS plays so small, it's really a wing at the 4 usually) or he'll be switched onto a wing. Either way, he's out on the perimeter again, not banging for defensive boards like he needs to be. And we know he doesn't play a lick of defense, so his value is really post-shot on the defensive end. Props to denying Curry that late three though, he really held his own there.

They did a much better job of keeping him involved down low today it seemed. He doesn't need offensive touches to be an impactful player, he just needs to be positioned better if you ask me. Seemed like before they were trying to use him like Miami Ray Allen or something. He's not that, not even a little bit. Today they got back to positioning him a little better, getting him post-up looks, or at least have him positioned tighter to the paint. I'm not a big Xs and Os guy when it comes to basketball, but those are my fan-observations. I'm confident that real NBA minds will find a way to work a guy of his talent in before they pursue a trade. 

Cavs were +19 with him on the floor today. -15 without him. In a game where TT really flopped (3 DReb, 0 OReb), Love stepped up with 4 OReb and 14 total boards. He took a lot of flak this post season, and deserved a lot of it. But as LeBron said, no one reads yesterday's newspaper, only tomorrow's. Tomorrow's says Love is a champ, and I'm happy for him. 

Edited by EichSnipe

I don't think that makes it a "great" championship. Improbable, yes, but the odds aren't all that defines a great championship. It also hurt that their championship game was one of the worst all-around display of basketball I've ever seen on a big stage.

Basketball is going to have a hard time topping this year with the way the Cavs won and the greatest basketball game I've ever watched in the championship game between Nova and UNC.

The Love situation will be interesting. The team has earned a mulligan on whatever they decide to do with him. There's rumors the Celtics have interest in him, and they possess the third overall pick. If I'm Cleveland I would do that deal straight up in a heart beat because a young player could be a great infusion into that team. Especially if you can get somebody like Buddy Hield or Kris Dunn, two players similar to Dwyane Wade - elite defenders who can score.

Edited by Hoss