Sabres HARBORcenter updates

sabills

UB has to get its current teams out of the basement first. Though with new AD Danny White they are on their way. In fact I think the basketball team under Hurley could win the MAC.

I used to say just play D1 hockey in the Pepsi Center across from campus but with Canisius playing in the Pegula Palace UB could never compete in recruiting.

Could UB share the Harborcenter?

PTR

Danny White has high ambitions. I can't see him wanting to share anything with anyone except on a temporary basis. Maybe the Pegulas will have to find room for a fourth rink.

It's summertime, let's derail the ###### out of this.

UB has to get its current teams out of the basement first.

No they don't.

I used to say just play D1 hockey in the Pepsi Center across from campus but with Canisius playing in the Pegula Palace UB could never compete in recruiting.

Could UB share the Harborcenter?

RIT has been initially successful not because they had great facilities, but because they were committed to their program. They hired good people, good coaches, and then later dumped money into capital investments like a new rink and support facilities (like gyms). UB can choose to play hockey, regardless of what the football score was that week- they just have to make that choice and commit to it. Needless to say, it would very much help to have a few major donors; Jeremy Jacobs (UB graduate and regular donor, currently on the UB Council) has been mentioned in the past.

A lot would depend on what kind of scholarships UB was able to offer. Niagara has been at Dwyer forever and they manage to recruit better than Canisius (and probably still will). I think UB could do fine playing at the Pepsi center temporarily. Unfortunately for UB I think they'd get stuck in D3 with the other SUNY programs.

Scholarships in D1 are standardized. Every team has 18 full scholarships, but they may break some of those up to be partial scholarships. As there are 26 kids on an NCAA roster, so not everyone gets a full scholarship, and sometimes some don't get anything. From a quick check, there are no D3 hockey programs at schools that are in D1 primary conferences- either it's not allowed or it doesn't make any sense- reader's choice.

UB initially would be a good fit for AHA, like RIT, but could eventually (within 15-20 years) push to move to Hockey East. RIT's just about ready (next 5 years) to make a bid for Hockey East. UB, scholastically, could be contend for a bid in a Big Ten (and there's other reason$ why this makes sense for B1G), opening up the door for some really good hockey, but UB football and basketball are light years behind.

It's summertime, let's derail the ###### out of this.

No they don't.

RIT has been initially successful not because they had great facilities, but because they were committed to their program. They hired good people, good coaches, and then later dumped money into capital investments like a new rink and support facilities (like gyms). UB can choose to play hockey, regardless of what the football score was that week- they just have to make that choice and commit to it. Needless to say, it would very much help to have a few major donors; Jeremy Jacobs (UB graduate and regular donor, currently on the UB Council) has been mentioned in the past.

Scholarships in D1 are standardized. Every team has 18 full scholarships, but they may break some of those up to be partial scholarships. As there are 26 kids on an NCAA roster, so not everyone gets a full scholarship, and sometimes some don't get anything. From a quick check, there are no D3 hockey programs at schools that are in D1 primary conferences- either it's not allowed or it doesn't make any sense- reader's choice.

UB initially would be a good fit for AHA, like RIT, but could eventually (within 15-20 years) push to move to Hockey East. RIT's just about ready (next 5 years) to make a bid for Hockey East. UB, scholastically, could be contend for a bid in a Big Ten (and there's other reason$ why this makes sense for B1G), opening up the door for some really good hockey, but UB football and basketball are light years behind.

Good points but football still drives the bus athletically. Before they can even think of launching a new D1 program in any sport they have to get their training facilities up to (at least) par. That means the proposed fieldhouse has to get finished.

PTR

Edited by PromoTheRobot

Good points but football still drives the bus athletically. Before they can even think of launching a new D1 program in any sport they have to get their training facilities up to (at least) par. That means the proposed fieldhouse has to get finished.

PTR

For many schools, you're right. Especially those in B1G. And I want UB football to be better and their facilities to be better. But there's a LOT of D1 hockey schools that aren't like that and don't need FBS football to drive the bus. UB could be one of those schools, if they would commit to hockey.

UB football can't compete against MAC teams, so I don't see why that matters :P

Seriously....

There is a certain pride that comes with having at least a respectable presence in sports. As I said above thread, when I was there, they were still AA and all the hubbub was they were making the leap and had all the tools to make a run to respectability. Well, other than a 90 minute trip north for an also-ran bowl, and a few guys getting a cup of coffee in the NFL, 20 years later and it's still blah! At least Bball has had teams that on their best day can compete with the top 20....but it's sad.

I remember going out of my way to not step on the seal in the Student Union, while dozens trampled it in front of me. I remember being the only non-Asian on the bus from north campus to south for 8am calc classes. Help me TrueBlue......I'm a self-loathing Bull!

Seriously....

There is a certain pride that comes with having at least a respectable presence in sports. As I said above thread, when I was there, they were still AA and all the hubbub was they were making the leap and had all the tools to make a run to respectability. Well, other than a 90 minute trip north for an also-ran bowl, and a few guys getting a cup of coffee in the NFL, 20 years later and it's still blah! At least Bball has had teams that on their best day can compete with the top 20....but it's sad.

I remember going out of my way to not step on the seal in the Student Union, while dozens trampled it in front of me. I remember being the only non-Asian on the bus from north campus to south for 8am calc classes. Help me TrueBlue......I'm a self-loathing Bull!

That's your problem right there. 8am calc? No classes before 10am!! I spent enough semesters at UB to know that you can almost completely avoid being up before noon.

Hopefully hoops can get back on track. Haven't had a chance since the season after they lost Turner Battle.

For many schools, you're right. Especially those in B1G. And I want UB football to be better and their facilities to be better. But there's a LOT of D1 hockey schools that aren't like that and don't need FBS football to drive the bus. UB could be one of those schools, if they would commit to hockey.

But UB doesn't want to be Quinnipiac or UNH or Union. They want to be Ohio State or Penn State. That sounds a tad lofty but there's nothing wrong with setting high goals.

http://www.buffalone.../130809902/1004

Read past the part about Reggie Witherspoon and see the anonymous alumni with their panties in a knot over UB emphasizing "New York" in the name. There will always be dinosaurs that hem and haw over change, but WNY seems to be full of them.

AD Danny White is a guy who wants to go big or go home. No flagship state college program in New York State? BINGO, opportunity! Some scoff and laugh at the notion but that's all those people do because they are devoid of ideas. Sometimes you just have to go for it.

PTR

Edited by PromoTheRobot

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

@BfloBizJimFink

@BuffaloSabres expect @HARBORCTR to host at least 20 tournaments each winter . " Opportunities are there" #NikFattey

It's going to be so cool to have hockey downtown constantly. Between college, the Sabres, and all sorts of local and national tourneys, that place (and its surrounds) should be pretty busy.

HARBORCENTER HOCKEY PLANS TAKING SHAPE: http://sabres.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=687944&navid=DL|BUF|home

HARBORCENTER President John Koelmel today made several announcements regarding hockey programming at HARBORCENTER, including the hiring of Kevyn Adams as Vice President and Director of the HARBORCENTER Academy of Hockey, a premier hockey training and development program at the complex. Adams will partner with Nik Fattey, HARBORCENTER Vice President and Director of Hockey, in leading all activities and programming at the new facility.

Also announced were plans for youth partnership and coaching development programs and the expansion of the Buffalo Jr. Sabres Youth Organization from one team to seven teams, encompassing several youth hockey age groups, to be overseen by Larry Playfair and Michael Peca.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.