Soccer (Football) ~ Everything About The Beautiful Game

Sabres Fan in NS

Which field do you mean?  The two "old" football fields at UB that I can recall were grass, I think.  Rotary definitely was grass, and I think the one near Governors' dorm was grass, too.

Just looked on the Google machine. It was what is now called Kunz field. Is it really called that? That's unfortunate.

We practiced on Rotary.

Just looked on the Google machine. It was what is now called Kunz field. Is it really called that? That's unfortunate.

We practiced on Rotary.

That's the one.  For some reason, I remember it as grass.  I'll certainly defer to the guy who played on it.

I worry a little about the US team because they lack some creativity and vision.  I have watched it a couple of times but I really feel like they lack something. I hope I am wrong and I am glad they won.

I agree. They will probably roll over whomever they draw in the round of 16 -- that team is likely to be inferior to any of the teams in their group. However, they will not win this tournament unless they start to play with more imagination and creativity. There is something missing at this point, as you say. 

That's the one.  For some reason, I remember it as grass.  I'll certainly defer to the guy who played on it.

Sorry, had to go to work. Yep, definitely not grass. The only positive was it made this slow white guy feel quick.

I miss my old Nike Sharks.

My opinion is they are relying on Abby W. too much and quite frankly she's over the hill. Still a good player but not the dominating force she once was. I'm not sure what the coach was thinking in last nights game because she was gassed and they never took her out. I'm not sure a 35 year old can play as many minutes as she has and still hold up the longer the tournament lasts for the USA. Should have had Morgan and Leroux in the game at the end of the match. Both younger and faster. Besides I love it when I watch Leroux runs, its like watching an old Baywatch episode.

My opinion is they are relying on Abby W. too much and quite frankly she's over the hill. Still a good player but not the dominating force she once was. I'm not sure what the coach was thinking in last nights game because she was gassed and they never took her out. I'm not sure a 35 year old can play as many minutes as she has and still hold up the longer the tournament lasts for the USA. 

I think this is right. 

Besides I love it when I watch Leroux runs, its like watching an old Baywatch episode.

I watch the games with kids ranging from elementary school aged to high schoolers, so I keep my mouth shut about such matters. But the KIDS said something about it last night.

Honest question: Could Leroux have had enhancement surgery? It seems insane that a soccer player would do that, but ... if you look at her when she was at UCLA, etc., she's not as chesty.

As for playing on it, the experiences for the players are very different. I have two kids who've played soccer at competitive levels on the same stuff that the Womens World Cup team are playing on, and they've both endured nasty rug burns/abrasions from hard falls or slides. Mind you, they would've taken a knock on grass for some of those (bruises, etc.), but there would not have been road rash. That stuff is painful and involves a different sort of recovery.

Not only that, the actual game itself plays very differently when you're on one of the modern versions of turf. It's a much faster game, with less capacity for nuance and touch. Case in point: My nephew played on a h.s. soccer team this past season that had a turf home field, while one of their main rivals had a grass field. The nephew's team played that team away first (both teams were well into the season by then) -- the result, a 1-1 draw in a very close, exciting game. The return date was three weeks later, and the nephew's team won handily, 5-0. Same squads, and a totally different game. The outcome notwithstanding, I preferred the first game on grass.

As for watching the games, there are differences to be seen. Last night, for example, there were probably 4 or 5 balls over the top that failed to connect to Rapinoe or Morgan or whomever because the ball hit the turf and just skidded over the endline. No chance to catch up to it. I will bet dollars to donuts that those balls would've been corralled had the field been grass. In order to make that sort of play on the turf -- which is a play that is the bread and butter of just about any team's attack -- you need to be *perfect* with the weight and spin of the ball. It's become maddening for me to watch.

There's a reason the men play their World Cup on grass, and would never (EVER) entertain the idea of playing on turf. And there's a reason that a group of the women brought a failed lawsuit (of sorts) in order to draw attention to the issue. The turf is an inferior, cheaper field surface for soccer on which FIFA forces its second-class citizens (the women) to play.

/end rant

My sister played up to college level.  She always hated the turf.  She complained injuries were much more prevalent on the turf because of lack of ability to really grip in with cleats (turf cleats are smaller).  she loved playing on the grass fields whenever possible.  

Honest question: Could Leroux have had enhancement surgery? It seems insane that a soccer player would do that, but ... if you look at her when she was at UCLA, etc., she's not as chesty.

Hard to say but they look real to me9.-Sydney-Leroux-.jpg

Hard to say but they look real to me

I have no idea. I took one of those "fake or real" quizzes once, and failed. She's a lovely woman, regardless.

And I just spent more time than I care to admit comparing photos from her UCLA and U20 days to current images. 

I'll now re-focus my attention on hoping she breaks through for a few goals in the tournament.

Not sure if it's been said here, but I will. Seriously, the American women complaining about having to play on this artificial turf is ridiculous. ALL the women are playing on it, so it's the same for all of them!

Yeah, it may suck, but that's the way it is.

To hear Abby W saying the US would have more goals if on grass is hilarious and reeks of excuses. Seriously? Not scoring a header because you are on fake grass? Really?

The Canadian women are playing on it too and aren't complaining. In fact I saw a clip the other day where 3 American women whined and moaned in different ways. The Canadian girls, it is what it is. Couldn't care less. I just play. 

Seriously, quit complaining and making excuses. I haven't heard any other team complaining about the turf. 

Love watching the ladies play hard, not dive and get up after being fouled (the men could learn from that) but can't stand hearing the US ladies whine about the field. Shut up and play.

One other thing. BC Place has the latest technology in artificial grass and it's apparently amazing stuff. 

And did anyone notice, Abby W scored on it. Amazing! 

Edited by rickshaw

There's no reason for the World Cup to be played on turf, but whining about it is even lamer.

We don't look hungry enough to win this tourney.  I'm not even sure we're hungry enough to make a deep run.  Maybe it's just experience, and they'll bring it when the tournament ramps up, but that's a dangerous game to play.

The complaint about the turf has to do with equal rights for women's soccer vs men's soccer. The men's world cup is played on grass, which is the preferred surface. Yet for some reason the women are being subjected to turf. THAT is why there's so much complaining. They don't want to be told to "just shut up and deal with it." And they're right. 

Not sure if it's been said here, but I will. Seriously, the American women complaining about having to play on this artificial turf is ridiculous. ALL the women are playing on it, so it's the same for all of them!

Yeah, it may suck, but that's the way it is.

To hear Abby W saying the US would have more goals if on grass is hilarious and reeks of excuses. Seriously? Not scoring a header because you are on fake grass? Really?

I agree that it's not a good look to be complaining about the turf now, as everyone's playing on the same surfaces. It is an especially bad look for a player who seems to have lost a step, or can't knock off the rust, or whatever.

I will say again, as I said upthread, that the U.S. probably would've had 3 more clear scoring chances last night if they were playing Nigeria on grass. (And, ironically enough, Nigeria likely would've been denied one of its only chances on goal if the game were on grass.)

I disagree with the idea that this is the way it is, and therefore so be it. It is total horsesh!t that the women are playing on turf. They're playing on turf because the organizing entities -- FIFA, specifically -- won't spend the money needed to ensure they play on grass. 

There's no reason for the World Cup to be played on turf, but whining about it is even lamer.

We don't look hungry enough to win this tourney.  I'm not even sure we're hungry enough to make a deep run.  Maybe it's just experience, and they'll bring it when the tournament ramps up, but that's a dangerous game to play.

I agree with all of this. I think the plan of feeding Wambach is a problem. They need to get away from that ASAP. (And, yes, I know - it worked once on a set-piece last night.)

The complaint about the turf has to do with equal rights for women's soccer vs men's soccer. The men's world cup is played on grass, which is the preferred surface. Yet for some reason the women are being subjected to turf. THAT is why there's so much complaining. They don't want to be told to "just shut up and deal with it." And they're right. 

I think that the time to gripe about it was prior to the tournament.

Edited by That Aud Smell

I think that the time to gripe about it was prior to the tournament.

They did. Wambach actually said she wouldn't all about it during the World Cup but she has been asked about it several time.

Couldn't agree more.

They did. Wambach actually said she wouldn't all about it during the World Cup but she has been asked about it several time.

I am aware that they did. I wasn't (am not) aware that she'd been asked about the role the turf may be playing in the games themselves. As I said, it was not a good look for her. And that's coming from someone who is solidly in the camp that wants to see the women's tourney played on grass.

I'd go so far as to say that it would've been far better for Rapinoe or Morgan to grouse about what the turf was doing to their game(s).  Wambach has looked her age, and the team's continued game-planning through/around her might just be its undoing at this World Cup.

Edited by That Aud Smell

Just bought my first pair of soccer shins. I'm officially a convert.

Jumping in head first of course. My cousins asked me to play in a charity tournament on Saturday so I'm sure I'm going to die.

Full report, SVP.

As a 40+ year old who used to be a decent high school player, I'm always amazed by how 5 vigorous minutes on the field can leave me feeling like I need an EMT.

Full report, SVP.

As a 40+ year old who used to be a decent high school player, I'm always amazed by how 5 vigorous minutes on the field can leave me feeling like I need an EMT.

I'm going hard to get ready. Hockey last night, swimming tonight, probably bike tomorrow and more swimming.

Just bought my first pair of soccer shins. I'm officially a convert.

Jumping in head first of course. My cousins asked me to play in a charity tournament on Saturday so I'm sure I'm going to die.

Stay on your feet as much as possible. Make your first touch into open space. If you take more than 4 touches you are probably playing the ball to much.  Challenge for 50/50 balls. Play the way you face and communicate with your teammates. 

Stay on your feet as much as possible. Make your first touch into open space. If you take more than 4 touches you are probably playing the ball to much. Challenge for 50/50 balls. Play the way you face and communicate with your teammates.

This is good. I need tips. I know it's just a charity tournament but I've played in enough charity softball tournaments to know they're always a challenge even if not especially serious.

This is good. I need tips. I know it's just a charity tournament but I've played in enough charity softball tournaments to know they're always a challenge even if not especially serious.

The best tip is play the way you face.  If you feel pressure play the way you face. If you have no one on you feel free to turn wherever but once you are pressured play the way you face. 

Of course when you get pressured be sure to shield the ball first.  Keep you between the defender and the ball. 

I know way to much about how to play soccer, just do your thing and enjoy lol.

The best tip is play the way you face. If you feel pressure play the way you face. If you have no one on you feel free to turn wherever but once you are pressured play the way you face.

Of course when you get pressured be sure to shield the ball first. Keep you between the defender and the ball.

I know way to much about how to play soccer, just do your thing and enjoy lol.

No, this is good stuff. Because if I can play a little smarter I can conserve energy :lol:

I might try to find some pickup around the buffalo area when this is done. I could probably use the cardio.

No, this is good stuff. Because if I can play a little smarter I can conserve energy :lol:

I might try to find some pickup around the buffalo area when this is done. I could probably use the cardio.

If you haven't done cardio say a few years or ever, you are going to be winded fairly quick.  If you played regularly (1-2 times a week) in about 2 months your cardio should be much better.

Warm up and stretch really good before playing.  Don't go pulling a groin or a thigh on us old man,  :flirt:

Off topic but where do people go in Buffalo to get into some pick up sports? I essentially know nobody still aside from family and could use some exercise since I can't really afford a gym membership at this point. (Not soccer because it's one of the sports I absolutely blow at. Purely a spectator sport for me)