Soccer (Football) ~ Everything About The Beautiful Game

Sabres Fan in NS

Yes to this. I think what gets me about the women's game versus the men's game is that the women do everything they can to make sure they don't look like they're hurt. Where the men are diving and pretending they've broken something, the women are playing on. And when they do take a good bump they don't stay down. There's something a lot more endearing about that.

should be played topless :p

Yes to this. I think what gets me about the women's game versus the men's game is that the women do everything they can to make sure they don't look like they're hurt. Where the men are diving and pretending they've broken something, the women are playing on. And when they do take a good bump they don't stay down. There's something a lot more endearing about that.

The Hockey-Style recovery of the Swede with the bloody noggin last night won me over. I'll be catching as much as I can of this tournament. 

Until this BS ends there is very little hope for the former Yugoslavia ...

http://www.cbc.ca/sports/soccer/swastika-pattern-depicted-on-pitch-during-croatia-vs-italy-euro-2016-qualifier-1.3111907

The deep rooted hatred in the hot-headed haters permeates every part of their existence, even in a "closed" football match where the fans were prohibited from attendance due to previous stupidity.

Until this BS ends there is very little hope for the former Yugoslavia ...

http://www.cbc.ca/sports/soccer/swastika-pattern-depicted-on-pitch-during-croatia-vs-italy-euro-2016-qualifier-1.3111907

The deep rooted hatred in the hot-headed haters permeates every part of their existence, even in a "closed" football match where the fans were prohibited from attendance due to previous stupidity.

This things aren't only heating up in Yugoslavia, All over europe uncontrolled imigration has everyone move to the right side again.

This things aren't only heating up in Yugoslavia, All over europe uncontrolled imigration has everyone move to the right side again.

Imigration is not the issue in Croatia.  No one is imigrating there.

As for the rest of Europe, when you have an economy based on cheap labour and invite everyone from everywhere to supply it there will be inevitable reaction of the haters latching onto that and blaming the imigrants for all their troubles.

Report is out that Sepp may not resign after all. I think the DOJ is going to need to drive a stake through his heart in order to rid the game of that crook.

I've seen that, too.  I'm only seeing one "root" source, and it seems speculative.  That guy is gone.

I've seen that, too.  I'm only seeing one "root" source, and it seems speculative.  That guy is gone.

Hmm, yeah, you probably would need to be root for that:

$sudo rm -f /etc/blatter.sh 

That might do it.

Ignore me.

That might do it.

Ignore me.

Better if you rm -f /etc/blatter.sh && sync to make sure it gets written to disk right away. Although with FIFA, mkfs $(awk '{if ($2 == "/") { print $1;};};' /etc/mtab) might be the only solution.

EDIT: That's a semi-valid command, not just jibberish.

Edited by MattPie

Better if you rm -f /etc/blatter.sh && sync to make sure it gets written to disk right away. Although with FIFA, mkfs $(awk '{if ($2 == "/") { print $1;};};' /etc/mtab) might be the only solution.

EDIT: That's a semi-valid command, not just jibberish.

Learning Linux tips in a SabreSpace thread about soccer. Not what I was expecting when I joined this forum.

Imigration is not the issue in Croatia.  No one is imigrating there.

As for the rest of Europe, when you have an economy based on cheap labour and invite everyone from everywhere to supply it there will be inevitable reaction of the haters latching onto that and blaming the imigrants for all their troubles.

Look pal, don't start saying things you don't know anything about, the cheap labour comes frome countries like poland, romania, bulgaria, and really no one in in western europe has much issues with that.

Those guys are actually doing something, the imigration part comes from african, and especially north african lazy ###### who don't do ###### all except leach for social benefits/welfare.

Welfare/benefits that are now being questioned because of it, but never should have been under review.

Edited by Heimdall

That might do it.

Ignore me.

Of course I won't ignore you, but I understand code the same way that Roseanne Barr understands salad.

I don't know how it feels to the people playing on it, but I don't mind watching soccer on artificial turf at all. Don't even notice it after a while.

FTR, these players are really good.

It's absolutely horrible to play on.  It's hard on the body.

There really is very little impact for spectators, I wouldn't think.

I don't know how it feels to the people playing on it, but I don't mind watching soccer on artificial turf at all. Don't even notice it after a while.

It's absolutely horrible to play on.  It's hard on the body.

There really is very little impact for spectators, I wouldn't think.

As for playing on it, the experiences for the players are very different. I have two kids who've played soccer at competitive levels on the same stuff that the Womens World Cup team are playing on, and they've both endured nasty rug burns/abrasions from hard falls or slides. Mind you, they would've taken a knock on grass for some of those (bruises, etc.), but there would not have been road rash. That stuff is painful and involves a different sort of recovery.

Not only that, the actual game itself plays very differently when you're on one of the modern versions of turf. It's a much faster game, with less capacity for nuance and touch. Case in point: My nephew played on a h.s. soccer team this past season that had a turf home field, while one of their main rivals had a grass field. The nephew's team played that team away first (both teams were well into the season by then) -- the result, a 1-1 draw in a very close, exciting game. The return date was three weeks later, and the nephew's team won handily, 5-0. Same squads, and a totally different game. The outcome notwithstanding, I preferred the first game on grass.

As for watching the games, there are differences to be seen. Last night, for example, there were probably 4 or 5 balls over the top that failed to connect to Rapinoe or Morgan or whomever because the ball hit the turf and just skidded over the endline. No chance to catch up to it. I will bet dollars to donuts that those balls would've been corralled had the field been grass. In order to make that sort of play on the turf -- which is a play that is the bread and butter of just about any team's attack -- you need to be *perfect* with the weight and spin of the ball. It's become maddening for me to watch.

There's a reason the men play their World Cup on grass, and would never (EVER) entertain the idea of playing on turf. And there's a reason that a group of the women brought a failed lawsuit (of sorts) in order to draw attention to the issue. The turf is an inferior, cheaper field surface for soccer on which FIFA forces its second-class citizens (the women) to play.

/end rant

Good post Aud.  I full agree and always hated playing on turf. Slide tackle on turf and then look at your thighs, bloodied.

I worry a little about the US team because they lack some creativity and vision.  I have watched it a couple of times but I really feel like they lack something. I hope I am wrong and I am glad they won.

Sissies. ;) The old football field at UB (may still be there) had a base of sand, not those fancy rubber pellets they use today. It was like getting tackled on sandpaper (is this one of those rare literally and figuratively occasions?). Anyway, that sucked. If you didn't cover every single inch of your body, you were losing skin.

Sissies. ;) The old football field at UB (may still be there) had a base of sand, not those fancy rubber pellets they use today. It was like getting tackled on sandpaper (is this one of those rare literally and figuratively occasions?). Anyway, that sucked. If you didn't cover every single inch of your body, you were losing skin.

Which field do you mean?  The two "old" football fields at UB that I can recall were grass, I think.  Rotary definitely was grass, and I think the one near Governors' dorm was grass, too.