Soccer (Football) ~ Everything About The Beautiful Game

Sabres Fan in NS

The Women's WC starts today.

http://www.cbc.ca/sports/multimedia/fifa-women-s-world-cup-get-to-know-the-teams-1.3098832

Does anyone want a thread dedicated to this tournament?

It should be some great football.  I think Canada will get the customary host boost, on top of having a very talented side, all the way to a top 4 finish.  

The Women's WC starts today.

http://www.cbc.ca/sports/multimedia/fifa-women-s-world-cup-get-to-know-the-teams-1.3098832

Does anyone want a thread dedicated to this tournament?

It should be some great football.  I think Canada will get the customary host boost, on top of having a very talented side, all the way to a top 4 finish.  

I missed this before.  I was really excited to watch the games, but I couldn't turn any on until the Germany-Ivory Coast game yesterday.  After it hit 4-0, I had to change the channel.  I'm gonig to watch the US-Australia game tonight.  

The officiating in this US v Australia match has been awful.

I though it was okay in the first half.  In the second half the ref was lost.  The card against Rapino was harsh.

All-in-all nice first win for the US.  Next game should be a good one.

I though it was okay in the first half. In the second half the ref was lost. The card against Rapino was harsh.

All-in-all nice first win for the US. Next game should be a good one.

Yup. They seemed to find their legs late and just took over. They needed to finish like that.

Curious to see if Alex Morgan gets a start next game. Wambach was steady but quiet tonight. She needs to get going.

Solo was key. Without her, Australia may have had 3 in the first 30 minutes.

Couple of great saves by the crazy one.  Rapinoe's crosses weren't very on yesterday.  Wambach was still winning battles and in position for every headable ball.  She missed one or two, but she's still got it.  Once Rapinoe starts hitting the ball a little softer the header goals will come.

Tobin Heath impressed me with her fast and controlled game.  She was one of the best possession players out there for us  (I believe she was a sub and had fresh legs).

The first half for the US was just awful.  They didn't play the way they faced, no one checked to the ball, their first touch was into pressure instead of open space, and they just kept trying to feed Leroux over the top. They had success in the 2nd because they started possessing the ball and doing more of the things I just mentioned. 

The most troubling thing is their defense.  I think a flat back is a poor choice. You could see the reason yesterday. The 2 center backs kept sliding over or up and the left back had to slide into the middle to fill the gap. It resulted in the goal.  A diamond back would allow the stopper to stay anchored in the middle while allowing the sweeper to float.  I just worry about their reads and awareness on the back end. 

Couple of great saves by the crazy one.  Rapinoe's crosses weren't very on yesterday.  Wambach was still winning battles and in position for every headable ball.  She missed one or two, but she's still got it.  Once Rapinoe starts hitting the ball a little softer the header goals will come.

Tobin Heath impressed me with her fast and controlled game.  She was one of the best possession players out there for us  (I believe she was a sub and had fresh legs).

Good overview. I understand that Solo's troubled - but she is probably the best woman ever to play the position. One or two of those saves in the first half were probably saves that only she can make.

It is ironic to say that Rapinoe had a tough game, when she scored twice. But you're right: She couldn't loft the ball the way she wanted. For my own part, I get frustrated with the focus on feeding Wambach -- she's getting older, and looked dead-legged toward the end of the game. And she's essentially become a one-trick pony (but what a trick it is). I think the team might be better served by moving someone more versatile into a featured striker's role -- maybe Press? Then again, I'm not sure what they'd do for goal kick breakouts -- Wambach's ability to flick the ball with her head to space at midfield is unreal.

Heath was a sub -- and she looks every bit like a prototype U.S. womens program player -- plays at a very high speed and quickly moves the ball to an open space with accuracy.

I really, really enjoy womens' soccer played at this level. Unlike other sports where I tend to notice that the game is being played with less raw strength or athleticism (e.g., hoops), soccer is a game where the angles, the movement can be just as engaging even if the players are not quite as fast, not quite as strong as the men. 

Edit: Just saw that Rapinoe is Wambach's peer. Huh.

How do you mean?  Wambach has been with the national team for five more years, has over a hundred more appearances, and is six years older.

Good overview. I understand that Solo's troubled - but she is probably the best woman ever to play the position. One or two of those saves in the first half were probably saves that only she can make.

It is ironic to say that Rapinoe had a tough game, when she scored twice. But you're right: She couldn't loft the ball the way she wanted. For my own part, I get frustrated with the focus on feeding Wambach -- she's getting older, and looked dead-legged toward the end of the game. And she's essentially become a one-trick pony (but what a trick it is). I think the team might be better served by moving someone more versatile into a featured striker's role -- maybe Press? Then again, I'm not sure what they'd do for goal kick breakouts -- Wambach's ability to flick the ball with her head to space at midfield is unreal.

Heath was a sub -- and she looks every bit like a prototype U.S. womens program player -- plays at a very high speed and quickly moves the ball to an open space with accuracy.

I really, really enjoy womens' soccer played at this level. Unlike other sports where I tend to notice that the game is being played with less raw strength or athleticism (e.g., hoops), soccer is a game where the angles, the movement can be just as engaging even if the players are not quite as fast, not quite as strong as the men. 

I'm still coming to grips with my massive crush on Hope Solo being tempered by her sheer goalie craziness.

Agree completely with the bolded.

I've become a soccer junkie as of late.  The USA U20's play Columbia in the round of 16 at the U20 World Cup later tonight (early tomorrow AM).

Not sure they'll win tonight, but I think this might be the most talented U20 team we've ever fielded.  Several of these guys will be on the men's national team roster in a few years.  One really intriguing player who has the potential to be the best center back the U.S. has ever had is Cameron Carter-Vickers.  Kid is only 17 playing on the U20's and is the best defender on the field.  He will be playing in the EPL sooner rather than later for Tottenham Hotspur.

Other very talented players on the team: Emerson Hyndman (Fulham), Rubio Rubin (Utrecht), Gedion Zelalem (Arsenal), Maki Tall (Lille; out hurt), Deservio Payne (Groningen), Matt Miazga (NY Red Bulls).

How do you mean?  Wambach has been with the national team for five more years, has over a hundred more appearances, and is six years older.

I assume he means that both prefer the ladies to the gentlemen.   ;)

Shoot - well, it was the Google that seemed to be suggesting that they were the same age. Nah?

... Shoot - my bad. I see it now. I had my results pages/tabs mixed up. Wambach's almost a full generation older than Rapinoe. Which makes (much more) sense, and is more in line with what I'd thought.

This brings on renewed interest for me in a change in tactics -- stop trying to feed Wambach, ladies. Use that superior possession game to advance toward the 18, then get the ball to someone who can break defenders down (or otherwise orchestrate a run to space), and then finish as chances arise.

I've become a soccer junkie as of late.  The USA U20's play Columbia in the round of 16 at the U20 World Cup later tonight (early tomorrow AM).

Not sure they'll win tonight, but I think this might be the most talented U20 team we've ever fielded.  Several of these guys will be on the men's national team roster in a few years.  One really intriguing player who has the potential to be the best center back the U.S. has ever had is Cameron Carter-Vickers.  Kid is only 17 playing on the U20's and is the best defender on the field.  He will be playing in the EPL sooner rather than later for Tottenham Hotspur.

Other very talented players on the team: Emerson Hyndman (Fulham), Rubio Rubin (Utrecht), Gedion Zelalem (Arsenal), Maki Tall (Lille; out hurt), Deservio Payne (Groningen), Matt Miazga (NY Red Bulls).

Huge win for the USA U-20's against Columbia in the Round of 16.  Rubio Rubin is a finisher.  He had one good chance all game and put it into the net.  On to the Quarterfinals against Serbia.

http://www.si.com/planet-futbol/2015/06/10/usa-u20-world-cup-colombia-steffen-rubin-quarterfinals

Edited by Bulge

Huge win for the USA U-20's against Columbia in the Round of 16.  Rubio Rubin is a finisher.  He had one good chance all game and put it into the net.  On to the Quarterfinals against Serbia.

http://www.si.com/planet-futbol/2015/06/10/usa-u20-world-cup-colombia-steffen-rubin-quarterfinals

Nice. Is that Zelalem [sic] kid playing with them?

Nice. Is that Zelalem [sic] kid playing with them?

Zelalem is starting in the center of the midfield next to team captain Emerson Hyndman. Zelalem has crazy ball skills.  He is very good in tight spaces and can hold guys off in the midfield with quick feet and deception.  But, he still seems to try to make the highlight reel play too often and he holds the ball too much instead of passing it to the open player.  He is sort of like a highly skilled NHL rookie who needs to learn what you can and can't do as the competition gets better.  Hyndman is the more effective player right now because he makes better decisions.  But, Zelalem has crazy talent.  He just needs more experience.  He wasn't great against Columbia IMHO.

I think the US men's national team has always struggled to find world class central defenders and world class strikers.... that is the strength of this U-20 team (Miazga, Carter-Vickers, Rubin).

(I've watched all 4 US games)

Zelalem is starting in the center of the midfield next to team captain Emerson Hyndman. Zelalem has crazy ball skills.  He is very good in tight spaces and can hold guys off in the midfield with quick feet and deception.  But, he still seems to try to make the highlight reel play too often and he holds the ball too much instead of passing it to the open player.  He is sort of like a highly skilled NHL rookie who needs to learn what you can and can't do as the competition gets better.  Hyndman is the more effective player right now because he makes better decisions.  But, Zelalem has crazy talent.  He just needs more experience.  He wasn't great against Columbia IMHO.

I think the US men's national team has always struggled to find world class central defenders and world class strikers.... that is the strength of this U-20 team (Miazga, Carter-Vickers, Rubin).

(I've watched all 4 US games)

Great update and analysis - thanks for it. 

Yes to this. I think what gets me about the women's game versus the men's game is that the women do everything they can to make sure they don't look like they're hurt. Where the men are diving and pretending they've broken something, the women are playing on. And when they do take a good bump they don't stay down. There's something a lot more endearing about that.