2012 Development Camp

Eleven

Just got back from Camp. I can say nothing like the atmosphere at Dwyer. :(

Armia and Grigorenko are definitely the biggest forwards there. I was thinking what a big difference between him and Roy.

They ran 3-4 drills in each group, then some 4 on 4 hockey and then a shootout.

Each Group had 5 pucks at the blueline to put past the goalie to win. If you got a goal you could shoot again, if not you put the puck on the blueline for the next guy. In the second group Grigorenko shot first. Goal. Second attempt, goal. Third attemp, goal. He got stopped on the last one.

Pysyk looked good. Fast, had hands. Seemed to make a quick decision whether to skate it up ice or pass right away.

Troop took out McCabe (I think) along the boards with a huge hit. Foligno was throwing his weight around too. He hit Grigorenko once pretty hard along the boards.

Girgensons is no where near Grigorenko IMO.

D4rk, Guggenberger was in the second group. He's the one that let in the 3 in row shootout goals. Other than that he looked REAL good. All the goalie were very tall. Seemed like their waists were at crossbar height.

Nice review. Thanks.

All good news for the most part. What do you think, Grigorenko stays in Buffalo this year?

Who did you think was the best goalie there? Guggenberger is the oldest and has the most pro experience, so I'd expect him to look pretty good. They sure like him down in Texas.

IMHO, Grigorenko makes the team. Everytime he got the puck there seemed to be excitement. He'd be coming in crossing the blueline, look at the goalie, look over to see who was with him, all the time stickhandling without looking, look back at the goalie and shoot or go right to the net. Albeit there wasn't much hitting but he didn't seem afraid of the contact at all.

I was able to see Ullmark, Guggenberger and Knapp. Lieuwen was always at the other end.

Ullmark was okay. He got beat 5 hole a-lot. Corsi was instructing him the whole time he was out there. He's a big dude for 18 yrs old. Seems a bit scared when guys come at him (he got run over once by Roy)

Guggenberger, like I said was good. Good glove hand, not a lot, if any rebounds, good side to side movement.

Knapp was solid. I didn't see any holes in his game.

I saw, but didn't talk to mbossy. He had his camera so he'll probably have some vids up at some point.

100% Certain that could be worked out if we wanted...$$$$$?...no?...$$$$$$$$?...$$$$$$$$$$?

The articles made it seem like that was worked into the contract negotiations, that he would definitely stay.

I look at it this way: If December rolls around and we're trying to pry Armia out of Finland...that does not speak well on the season to that point. I'm excited about his talent level, but let him develop his game over there for another year. For all of his ability, he still needs to develop his play without the puck and work on his consistency. Let him stay, hope he can make the team out of camp in 2013, and if not, a few months in Rochester isn't the worst thing in the world.

They're not going to pry him for half a season. There is no sense in burning up the first year of his contract and starting his free agency clock ticking for half a season in the AHL.

Listening to Hockey Hotline this morning, Ruff said they expect Ennis to eat Roy's all-situation minutes and want to keep Hodgson around the 17 minute mark. Eventually something's gotta give with the bottom-6 center position. Maybe they're waiting until after D-camp to assess how ready Grigorenko is, and thus, if they should target a 3rd or 4th line guy?

###### ###### ######. I like Ennis. I like Ennis a lot. But this is asking gim to take the responsibilities of a first line two-way center. That's not what anyone wants to hear.

Two reasons:

1) Ennis' usage will likely shift towards the more-defensive and he'll face a higher quality of competition. I hope he thrives, but a roster shouldn't be built on hope. I really wanted to see Ennis thrive as Roy's replacement as a second line center that sees a little weaker-than-top compeition and contributes to the powerplay.

2) Maybe they're just preparing for the what-ifs, but this could be an indication that they've accepted the idea that they will not acquire a proven first line center before the season starts. Which means we may be standing pat with our top six.

###### ###### ######. I like Ennis. I like Ennis a lot. But this is asking gim to take the responsibilities of a first line two-way center. That's not what anyone wants to hear.

Two reasons:

1) Ennis' usage will likely shift towards the more-defensive and he'll face a higher quality of competition. I hope he thrives, but a roster shouldn't be built on hope. I really wanted to see Ennis thrive as Roy's replacement as a second line center that sees a little weaker-than-top compeition and contributes to the powerplay.

2) Maybe they're just preparing for the what-ifs, but this could be an indication that they've accepted the idea that they will not acquire a proven first line center before the season starts. Which means we may be standing pat with our top six.

I'm okay with what-ifs. What if we have true #1 center in Ennis and we just didn't know it? Might as well give the kid a shot.

I'm okay with what-ifs. What if we have true #1 center in Ennis and we just didn't know it? Might as well give the kid a shot.

Somebody around here has compared Ennis' career trajectory to that of Giroux's on a few occasions and it's interesting. I'm not in any way suggesting that Ennis will be another Giroux. Just that it may make sense to see if he can be. His size doesn't concern me as much as it may others simply because he has other attributes to compensate, including very good hockey instincts from what I've seen. Plus, he's got very good size on his wings in Stafford and Foligno so let's light this candle and see if the kid takes off.

GO SABRES!!!

Two reasons:

2) Maybe they're just preparing for the what-ifs, but this could be an indication that they've accepted the idea that they will not acquire a proven first line center before the season starts. Which means we may be standing pat with our top six five.

Did you really expect a #1c acquisition when we have Ennis, Hodgson, and Grigorenko in camp and Girgensons in the wings?

Oh, and fixed the bolded part for you. We still need a winger opposite Vanek.

Did you really expect a #1c acquisition when we have Ennis, Hodgson, and Grigorenko in camp and Girgensons in the wings?

Yes. Because until they all prove themselves as NHL-ready centers, we still have a hole at center. Also, Darcy stating both that he doesn't want to have to count on this years draft picks to contribute this year and that the draft did not change how aggressive he would be in acquiring a center this offseason may have influenced my expectations.

Yes. Because until they all prove themselves as NHL-ready centers, we still have a hole at center. Also, Darcy stating both that he doesn't want to have to count on this years draft picks to contribute this year and that the draft did not change how aggressive he would be in acquiring a center this offseason may have influenced my expectations.

Acquiring a center is much different than acquiring a #1 center. If the Sabres pull off a big trade, I don't expect a top center coming back.

If that's the case, then let's get greedy and ice two number one centers. It's worked pretty good for Vancouver and Pittsburgh and a handful of other teams.

I like Ennis; I want him to succeed. I want them all to be great. Those four centers all project between good and great. Ready for this chestnut of wisdom... until they're ready, they're not ready. We were a group of fans that was begging for both top-line skill and depth at center, and that was BEFORE we shipped Roy and Gaustad. Drafting centers that project well was smart, but you shouldn't have to count on them.... the GM's words(!).

Acquiring a center is much different than acquiring a #1 center.

Agreed. We have a need for both depth and skill at center. My expectations were (and still are) to address at least one of those needs.

If that's the case, then let's get greedy and ice two number one centers. It's worked pretty good for Vancouver and Pittsburgh and a handful of other teams.

I like Ennis; I want him to succeed. I want them all to be great. Those four centers all project between good and great. Ready for this chestnut of wisdom... until they're ready, they're not ready. We were a group of fans that was begging for both top-line skill and depth at center, and that was BEFORE we shipped Roy and Gaustad. Drafting centers that project well was smart, but you shouldn't have to count on them.... the GM's words(!).

Agreed. We have a need for both depth and skill at center. My expectations were (and still are) to address at least one of those needs.

I expect a 3rd line center to be brought in at some point, but I don't expect a top-6 guy to be acquired. I think the price would simply be too steep for Regier (and it may be too steep for me as well).

Tack on: I'd prefer an acquisition that upgrades the skill center position (top-two in the depth chart), ie an upgrade to Roy. I think it'd complement and take pressure (read: quality of competition) away from Ennis.

"Sometimes you have to run before you can walk." There's no way to know if Ennis can handle it until it's tried. Your point is correct, but hey, sometimes you have to take the leap. I look at it this way: even if we acquire a top-6 center, it's not going to be a #1 guy, it'll be a #2. So at some point we have to try a young guy as a #1 before he's proven to be ready. Granted, having an established #2 gives a good fallback option if the young guy fails, so it's absolutely a risk and I understand not everybody wants to sign up for it. But I'll take that plunge before trading somebody like Vanek to get an established guy in here.

I'd prefer an acquisition that upgrades the skill center position (top-two in the depth chart), ie an upgrade to Roy. I think it'd complement and take pressure (read: quality of competition) away from Ennis.

Reasonable prices assumed, of course.

We may be talking past each other. You *want* a #1 center. So do I. But, I don't *expect* Darcy to go out and get one because he has already filled the cupboards with skill centers. As much as I would like to see a sure thing #1C get acquired I know damned well that we've got all of the skilled centers we are gonna get. If another center shows up, my bet is it will be for the bottom 6.

We may be talking past each other. You *want* a #1 center. So do I. But, I don't *expect* Darcy to go out and get one because he has already filled the cupboards with skill centers. As much as I would like to see a sure thing #1C get acquired I know damned well that we've got all of the skilled centers we are gonna get. If another center shows up, my bet is it will be for the bottom 6.

I hope not. The cupboard is chalk full of bottom six centers...

:huh:

Cody McCormick (who s/b on LW instead) and who else?

I throw ALL the current centers in as bottom six centers.. It's only in Buffalo that we make guys like Ennis, Hodgson, some rookie names Grig something top six. Here's my test: where would they be on a Pittsburgh, Boston, Chicago or Detroit team? If you can answer top six, so be it...

Just my warn out, humble opinion...

Archived