2012 Development Camp

Eleven

And a fine post to make your reappearance with. Good to see you again.

Just keep your pants on if you see Chz. Remember -- you have zero chance if you can't be cool about it.

lol, I actually think I saw her but I could be completely wrong. Either way sitting in the front row of the 200's was freaking amazing and if I had season tickets they would be there.

here is the scoring recap: http://sabres.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=637857

I was there with my 15 yr. old son - who stands 5" above me.

My observations:

Rather disappointed with Grigs - he didn't show a lot and was slow backchecking. Finally when he had a penalty shot we got to see his stick moves. Very good, but where were they during the game? The offensive effort was there, but he could never finish.

Girgs on the other hand, showed more drive and determination. Nice move on his goal. He should be here next season if not this one.

Armia is a keeper. Probably another year away, but he will make the team eventually.

Pysyk looked good for most of the game. He'll eventually make it to the NHL as well, in good time.

I really liked Ullmark in goal. He made some splendid saves despite getting burned a few times. I am certain this guy will be an NHL goaltender down the road.

I was a little disappointed with Kea - was really looking for something special from him, didn't get it.

Other notables were Roy, Nelson, Catenacci, and Wise. Add Varone to that list too.

I was there with my 15 yr. old son - who stands 5" above me.

My observations:

Rather disappointed with Grigs - he didn't show a lot and was slow backchecking. Finally when he had a penalty shot we got to see his stick moves. Very good, but where were they during the game? The offensive effort was there, but he could never finish.

Girgs on the other hand, showed more drive and determination. Nice move on his goal. He should be here next season if not this one.

Armia is a keeper. Probably another year away, but he will make the team eventually.

Pysyk looked good for most of the game. He'll eventually make it to the NHL as well, in good time.

I really liked Ullmark in goal. He made some splendid saves despite getting burned a few times. I am certain this guy will be an NHL goaltender down the road.

I was a little disappointed with Kea - was really looking for something special from him, didn't get it.

Other notables were Roy, Nelson, Catenacci, and Wise. Add Varone to that list too.

Grigorenko probably didn't even know what backchecking was before showing up to camp, so I'm not sure why it would be surprising his defensive effort was bad. And I'm not sure what you were expecting to see from Kea when a guy is described by his team as a better skating Paul Gaustad. Agree on the rest.

Armia will be a player.

Armia has skill but he seemed to float a lot. Has a good shot and good hands.

Sweet, mixed reactions to Armia already. He really is the heir to Vanek.

Would love to hear more about this from you or anyone else who was there. He's a super interesting late round pick to me.

In 2 years, won't Vanek, Pommers, and Miller all be up?

Should be an interesting off-season.

Ott's contract will be up too. It'll be interesting to see who they extend next summer (as that would be the time to do it if they really want to make sure it gets done).

Would love to hear more about this from you or anyone else who was there. He's a super interesting late round pick to me.

Armia has some growing but should be fine.

Knapp and Lieuwen were better than Ullmark but he had some skills. Too early to tell if Ullmark will be good or not.

I don't think the reviews on Armia were mixed, or at least they shouldn't be. Reading reports from his play in Finland, he does float away from the puck/defensively...but honestly, what high-end offensive prospect doesn't at age 18? His offensive play you can tell he's in a man's league, the way he uses leverage and shields the puck, how he drives, etc. Frankly, I think he could make the team this year (assuming he didn't have to do the military service). I doubt he ever sees Rochester.

I thought Ullmark was very impressive. Seems smooth for a big man, squares up to the shooter well. And he has a good glove hand.

Knapp and Lieuwen were better than Ullmark but he had some skills. Too early to tell if Ullmark will be good or not.

But not too early to tell on Armia? Even though they've both played precisely one scrimmage?

But not too early to tell on Armia? Even though they've both played precisely one scrimmage?

not sure what you are trying to do here other than be a dick but I think I said earlier that Armia needs some more seasoning. Forwards are far easier to judge than gt. Armia showed a lot of skills because he had the opportunity to show off his skills. A goaltender and this goes for all of them can only show their skills when the other team is shooting on them. Ullmark looked fine but Knapp and Lieuwen looked better. Armia looked like he had a good shot, good hands, and seems to be able to skate. Ullmark can butterfly goaltend and made a couple of saves...

so feel free to replay in what ever condescending "I'm smarter and better than you" way you so choose. goodnight

I went and picked up my new pro weight Foligno 82 jersey and sat in a corner 2nd row in our end. I was yelling at him as they left the ice 82 Foligno 82

Although I suspect the Sabres store would allow people who ordered Foligno jerseys on draft day to return them for 17 if he changes his number.

Personally I hope he does take the old mans #

Haven't seen this mentioned but I thought Mcnabb had a rough outing for at least the first half of the game/scrimmage. He led the team out on the ice at the start and propmtly fell onto the ice because he still had his skate guards on lol :doh:

Then he got rocked behind the net and got up very slow and got hit hard several more times after that. I also thought that Boychuk was noticeable several tiimes and not afraid to be gritty and he is a big boy.

Grigs Gregs Armia Foligno looked good. Mcnabb recovered alright in the second half. Coho was fine. The goalies were very, very lacking.

Eleven you should have gone. One thing I take away from this is we are definately getting bigger. Much bigger and Foligno looks ready to pick up right where he left off! :worthy:

LGR4GM my seats are 1st row club level and despite the prudes and business dudes, your chet and muffy types, it is a fantastic vantage point and in season the amenities are simply better and we are not all Chet and Muffy up there. The endzone clubs are a great deal and include parking in the ramp and 32 Bandits tickets if that floats your boat as well.

not sure what you are trying to do here other than be a dick but I think I said earlier that Armia needs some more seasoning. Forwards are far easier to judge than gt. Armia showed a lot of skills because he had the opportunity to show off his skills. A goaltender and this goes for all of them can only show their skills when the other team is shooting on them. Ullmark looked fine but Knapp and Lieuwen looked better. Armia looked like he had a good shot, good hands, and seems to be able to skate. Ullmark can butterfly goaltend and made a couple of saves...

so feel free to replay in what ever condescending "I'm smarter and better than you" way you so choose. goodnight

It's like a school of gay piranha in here today.

Plaid shorts, sandals, sun.

Goosebumps cover tanned, bare arms.

Hockey in July!

It's like a school of gay piranha in here today.

I probably didn't just help the vibe. I just had to haiku -- can you blame a girl?

I liked Knapp too, but I'm not sure he's quick enough for the NHL - definitely AHL material right now. Liewen - I didn't get a good read on him, IOW, I wasn't impressed. Ullmark has the quickness to play in the NHL. He just needs seasoning IMO.

Jamie Wise actually had three goals, he scored on the ugliest penalty shot ever in the second period, jammed his stick into the ice on a failed slap shot and then somehow still beat Lieuwen on the second attempt.

That was a fake slap shot.

I was the a$$hole who yelled "ride the stick" right before Armia's shootout attempt.

Drinking while in line

Beers take cupholder timeouts

Pissing excellence

Bring in heart and soul

Send away Will Ferrell's twin

Nieuwendyk's my bitch

Giants haunt my dreams

Midgets helpless against them

Give John Scott contract

Best line ever played

Number seven goes too soon

Enshrine our heroes

Goalies take much, much longer to develop to be fair.

Drinking while in line

Beers take cupholder timeouts

Pissing excellence

Bring in heart and soul

Send away Will Ferrell's twin

Nieuwendyk's my bitch

Giants haunt my dreams

Midgets helpless against them

Give John Scott contract

Best line ever played

Number seven goes too soon

Enshrine our heroes

Rather Random but completely wonderful, nice post.

That was a fake slap shot.

If he did it on purpose it looked pretty ugly to me, our initial reaction was that he blew the shot and recovered. Whatever works! Sadly he barely got a shot off on the shootout attempt, I was rooting for the guy by the end, he wasn't even on the original camp roster.

Plaid shorts, sandals, sun.

Goosebumps cover tanned, bare arms.

Hockey in July!

Funny you say this, yesterday I wore the tank top, sandals and plaid shorts while driving my drop top to the scrimmage. (I never got the goose bumps though) :)

Archived