Free Agency: Goose or no Goose?

IKnowPhysics

With 23 players on the roster and a $70 million salary cap the average salary is just over $3 million if every team spends to the cap. They don't but many teams are close. Not all teams carry 23 players all the time. There is also long term injury relief. Many young players (EL & RFA) are making less because of their limited bargaining rights. Some guys are buried in the minors for salary cap relief. Gaustad is a non EL, non RFA player. Even if he is a below average player he is probably worth $2-3 million. Nashville gave up a first round pick, minus a forth rounder, mostly for faceoffs and depth. Gaustad will probably go to free agency unless Nashville offers him a too-good-to-refuse deal. I would be surprised if he does not get $2.5 million, and shocked if he gets less than $2 million. $3 million is too much but would not shock me.

I do not want him back.

Sorry, he coined it (supposedly) and I didn't want it to be too long... here..

I would like everyone to know that Sabres Fan in NS gave me this wonderful idea for a member title, as I am a huge Zeppelin fan.

I am forever thankful for him, as I will be known as just "fourth liner" no more!

And stoll is still closer to a cup than we've ever been.

Zeppelin made some great music, just wish they would have credited some of the stuff they stole from the real legends.

On topic, I agree with most of what's written, its probably time to move on but I think at around $1.5, he would be useful.

Zeppelin made some great music, just wish they would have credited some of the stuff they stole from the real legends.

On topic, I agree with most of what's written, its probably time to move on but I think at around $1.5, he would be useful.

They were forced to give other artists credit on occasion, cant remember which songs exactly. To be honest, I like the stuff they completely created themselves (think songs like the rain song, in the light, all of my love) miles more than the openly stolen riffs/lyrics (like rock and roll, bring it on home, whole lotta love, etc)

Every song that Zepplin stole from someone, was stolen from somebody else first. They didn't do what every great blues guy did before them.

And it's a No from me on Goose

Every song that Zepplin stole from someone, was stolen from somebody else first. They didn't do what every great blues guy did before them.

And it's a No from me on Goose

Exactly, that wasn't really looked down upon in the blues scene, in fact at one time it was strange to write your own stuff...

I do think Darcy will talk to Paul, but I don't think he will pay the price other teams might.

Exactly, that wasn't really looked down upon in the blues scene, in fact at one time it was strange to write your own stuff...

I do think Darcy will talk to Paul, but I don't think he will pay the price other teams might.

And they still do it today. Blues is all about borrowed riffs and bridges.

This. Pains me to say it, but... I don't like Gerbe on the sabres. I told my friend this and he almost punched me in the face...

As much as I like Gerbe's character, I have to second this.

The Sabres are going no where if they keep players like Gerbe around and/or re-hire the likes of Gaustad. Although, in fairness to Gerbe, re-acquiring Gaustad is a more unforgivable offense.

Very true.

I was less then impressed by Kassian's overall performance in both the AHL and the NHL.

Streaky, and we have enough streaky in the lineup already imho.

Kassian had 25+ games to prove his worth in the NHL and a little more in th AHL as a 20 year old?. The Goose proved he couldn't skate at an NHL level or defend his friend Miller after 5+ years? Another couple in the AHL. R U fn kidding me? God people are out of touch.. ( i.e stupid, Sorry I can't be politically correct any longer.)

As much as I like Gerbe's character, I have to second this.

The Sabres are going no where if they keep players like Gerbe around and/or re-hire the likes of Gaustad. Although, in fairness to Gerbe, re-acquiring Gaustad is a more unforgivable offense.

For sure. Midget happy stories don't win cups. Fact! Don't soften your point. Shortest player in the NHL when you already have the smallest, and a better player named Ennis, makes Darcy an idiot, and our team a loser.;

For sure. Midget happy stories don't win cups. Fact! Don't soften your point. Shortest player in the NHL when you already have the smallest, and a better player named Ennis, makes Darcy an idiot, and our team a loser.;

right cause 2 short players makes a team automaticaly a loser. Speaking of stupid your post comes to mind.

Also no thanks on Goose I want a banger that actually looks for hits to give out not someone that needs to be told to go hit.

Sorry, no Gerbe. Ennis is much more skilled and a better skater. These playoffs have PROVED you can have one of these players at most on your team in this league with these rules.. To ignore reality will preclude your chances to win a cup. To ignore reality is stupidity. Sorry but I've watched this way too long to ignore reality and fall in love with players who can't bring home the prize.! Ennis, maybe, Gerbe and Roy NO.

Sorry, no Gerbe. Ennis is much more skilled and a better skater. These playoffs have PROVED you can have one of these players at most on your team in this league with these rules.. To ignore reality will preclude your chances to win a cup. To ignore reality is stupidity. Sorry but I've watched this way too long to ignore reality and fall in love with players who can't bring home the prize.! Ennis, maybe, Gerbe and Roy NO.

While I agree with the general premise that Gerbe isn't good enough to be on a Cup winning team....saying that one postseason has proven anything is the dumbest thing I've read in this thread.

I'm looking forward to when 42 is a distant memory.

I'm fine with letting Gerbe keep that # until someone supplants him from the roster, (which, nothing against Nathan, he's got the heart & drive of a grizzly, but I hope the talent level improves beyond him sooner rather than later) but as soon as he's gone that # should be buried in a nuclear bunker and never see the light of day again.

Nothing good has ever come of 42 in b&g. Thankfully, Gerbe's a midget, because otherwise the flashbacks to 'Smehlik clears it ... not out' would be unbearable during games he's in the lineup.

Why is everyone on the Gerbe deathpanel?

I think the bigger the stakes....the better Gerbe is. If he were to go with a gritty team like the Rangers, or a big hockey city with history and emotion like Toronto....he would be his best there. The kid has leadership qualities and I'm pretty sure most of the league respects him.

As for Gaustad....good luck to him.

To ignore reality will preclude your chances to win a cup. To ignore reality is stupidity. Sorry but I've watched this way too long to ignore reality and fall in love with players who can't bring home the prize.! Ennis, maybe, Gerbe and Roy NO.

clearly you need to watch this game some more then

Why is everyone on the Gerbe deathpanel?

I think the bigger the stakes....the better Gerbe is. If he were to go with a gritty team like the Rangers, or a big hockey city with history and emotion like Toronto....he would be his best there. The kid has leadership qualities and I'm pretty sure most of the league respects him.

As for Gaustad....good luck to him.

I don't desperately want him gone (that roster spot is occupied by Roy, maybe they could swap #'s) but expect that the player that makes him expendable will be a pretty good player in his own right. I'd also like to see them reach the point that there's too much talent on the roster for Kaleta to find a spot.

Maybe when Roy's gone, I'll renew my appreciation of Gerbe.

I don't desperately want him gone (that roster spot is occupied by Roy, maybe they could swap #'s) but expect that the player that makes him expendable will be a pretty good player in his own right. I'd also like to see them reach the point that there's too much talent on the roster for Kaleta to find a spot.

Maybe when Roy's gone, I'll renew my appreciation of Gerbe.

I just don't see that happening in a salary cap era. You need players like Gerbe and Kaleta. Hell Paille just got a contract extension from the previous cup winner. There your protypical 3rd/4th line players strong in some areas weak in others or balanced so much that they are good in no areas. I will say i want the sabres to get so skilled up front that Gerbe and kaleta are always on the 4th line and only ever see the 3rd during a injury replacement

I just don't see that happening in a salary cap era. You need players like Gerbe and Kaleta. Hell Paille just got a contract extension from the previous cup winner. There your protypical 3rd/4th line players strong in some areas weak in others or balanced so much that they are good in no areas. I will say i want the sabres to get so skilled up front that Gerbe and kaleta are always on the 4th line and only ever see the 3rd during a injury replacement

Fair enough. It's late and I'm beat. Spater.

Let's face it. For every Sabres and/or core player that gets openly criticized for one thing or another, there are an equal amount of players and fans that say the same thing about their teams. Is Gaustad the reason the "core" hasn't shown enough grit to become a contender? Maybe. But nobody can say that for certain. It may be that the team as a whole is weak. Who knows. Even though Gaustad isn't a high scorer or flashy center, if we needed a 3rd or 4th line center to fill the role he plays and his history was relatively unknown to us, we'd be thrilled to have him on the roster. 'Hey look at this guy, he can fight pretty good, consistent 10-12 goal scorer, one of the best faceoff guys in the league and he's great on the PK. Sounds like he's worth $3.25 mil/yr.

Archived