Free Agency: Goose or no Goose?

IKnowPhysics

Figured id let the board know, I ran into Paul at a bar in Tonawanda about 2 weeks ago. I talked with him for about an hour, great guy. He said he didn't sell his house as he was planning on coming back in july, apparently its supposed to be under wraps but he is in conversation with the sabres currently.

Take it for what its worth, I typically don't post rumors, this came straight from the horses mouth.

Figured id let the board know, I ran into Paul at a bar in Tonawanda about 2 weeks ago. I talked with him for about an hour, great guy. He said he didn't sell his house as he was planning on coming back in july, apparently its supposed to be under wraps but he is in conversation with the sabres currently.

Take it for what its worth, I typically don't post rumors, this came straight from the horses mouth.

Interesting.

If true, this would surprise and disappoint me. So much for team team moving forward.

I'd be ok with this as long as we don't have to overpay. If we can sign him to play on the 4th line for $2 million per year or less and still managed to draft a center or 2 early to replace him and Roy eventually it wouldn't be the worst case scenario.

Wouldn't that be tampering? Wouldn't Gaustad still be considered Nashville Predator property two weeks ago?

He is under contract to Nashville until July 1. Sabres talking to him would be tampering, would it not?

Wouldn't that be tampering? Wouldn't Gaustad still be considered Nashville Predator property two weeks ago?

You are correct. It's the first thing that came to my mind. If the conversation did in fact happen, sometimes these guys just tell random walkups what they want to hear.

Kassian had 25+ games to prove his worth in the NHL and a little more in th AHL as a 20 year old?. The Goose proved he couldn't skate at an NHL level or defend his friend Miller after 5+ years? Another couple in the AHL. R U fn kidding me? God people are out of touch.. ( i.e stupid, Sorry I can't be politically correct any longer.)

25 games is more than enough to see a trend forming. Age is irrelevant, either your an impact player, or your not.

With that being said, yes, it is true that Kassian can develop into an impact player, but then again, if I was to try and fit that time consuming wait for him to "blossom" into Pegula's time frame for competitiveness, I'd wager Kassian is years away from impacting much of anything.

I also understand your frustration on PC, I never have been PC myself. I can listen to your opinion, but to claim others are out of touch due to a difference in analysis on a player is hardly "out of touch", as you put it.

The fact is, Zack Kassian won't amount to a hill of beans in the NHL in my opinion. Regier was a freaking Ninja this past deadline, as someone else stated.

Hodgson is a much better option than Kassian everyday of the week and twice on Sunday's.

As for the Goose comment, I already posted, that ship has sailed for the Sabres, so I don't understand why the response to my Kassian thoughts with regards to Goose.

He did have a conversation with Ted Black. TB said he ran into him at a fundraiser thing at the Zoo. Talked about family and Goose said how nice an organization Nashville was. I guess you could call that "in conversation" with the Sabres.

He is under contract to Nashville until July 1. Sabres talking to him would be tampering, would it not?

You are correct. It's the first thing that came to my mind. If the conversation did in fact happen, sometimes these guys just tell random walkups what they want to hear.

I suppose there could have been an agreement with Goose to "come see us and we can renew" with the basic outline of a contract proposal in place before he was shipped to Nashville, and maybe that is what Goose was referring to when he said, "he was planning on coming back in july". I believe we had some conversation about that idea when the trade was announced.

I suppose there could have been an agreement with Goose to "come see us and we can renew" with the basic outline of a contract proposal in place before he was shipped to Nashville, and maybe that is what Goose was referring to when he said, "he was planning on coming back in july". I believe we had some conversation about that idea when the trade was announced.

I believe you are right, right around the time it was announced that Goose met with Darcy a day or two before the deadline.

Either that or, since he has a home here, he is planning to spend his off-season vacation (starting in July) in Buffalo ... :ph34r: .

I wouldn't mind him coming back as the fourth line center, with Roy as our third line center. I hope we don't overpay for him

I really don't think Roy is the 3rd line center we need. In a standard line-up, your 3rd line center should be strong defensively and big enough to put a body on people. No, wait, that fits Roy perfectly! :w00t:

The only way I see that working is if we use the 3x 2nd line model. Otherwise ship Roy out to a team looking for a 2nd line center and bring someone in (via that trade or FA).

The only reason I met him, is because he is close friends with my colleague. I was called out to meet the guys there. So it isn't a typical walk up situation. Alcohol was def involved so maybe that plays into it. I realize that he isn't really allowed to disclose anything and that's why he told us to keep it under wraps. Maybe it was the crown talking tho ;)

I personally don't think its a wise move for the organization, they need to move on and change the mindset of this team, sure goose was Prolly one of our tougher guys (still not tough enough tho) and a decent faceoff guy, but we need a diff identify.

As others have said, if we can get him very cheap like 1.5 mil/yr then it would be silly not too considering our lack of center depth, but I just don't see it happening.

So he asks you to keep it under wraps and then you immediately post it here? I know who I'm not turning to in the future if I ever have a big secret.

The only big secret you ever had is wide open in the Complaints Thread ... :flirt: .

Congratulations on the big spend ... many (not me) now would say it's official.

Really, congratulations to you both.

=====

EDIT: I hope your bruises heel up before your wedding night and honeymoon ... :wub: .

25 games is more than enough to see a trend forming. Age is irrelevant, either your an impact player, or your not.

With that being said, yes, it is true that Kassian can develop into an impact player, but then again, if I was to try and fit that time consuming wait for him to "blossom" into Pegula's time frame for competitiveness, I'd wager Kassian is years away from impacting much of anything.

I also understand your frustration on PC, I never have been PC myself. I can listen to your opinion, but to claim others are out of touch due to a difference in analysis on a player is hardly "out of touch", as you put it.

The fact is, Zack Kassian won't amount to a hill of beans in the NHL in my opinion. Regier was a freaking Ninja this past deadline, as someone else stated.

Hodgson is a much better option than Kassian everyday of the week and twice on Sunday's.

As for the Goose comment, I already posted, that ship has sailed for the Sabres, so I don't understand why the response to my Kassian thoughts with regards to Goose.

While I'm not Kassian's biggest fan in the world.....25 games is not even close to enough time to judge a young player....especially one who shouldn't (and wouldn't) have seen the NHL if it weren't for the huge string of injuries the Sabres had.

While I'm not Kassian's biggest fan in the world.....25 games is not even close to enough time to judge a young player....especially one who shouldn't (and wouldn't) have seen the NHL if it weren't for the huge string of injuries the Sabres had.

While 25 in the NHL wasn't enough, his season in the AHL was. He looked no different down in the A.

While 25 in the NHL wasn't enough, his season in the AHL was. He looked no different down in the A.

And Hodgson looked poor his first year in the AHL....then ended up with 41 points in the NHL last season. While I didn't see the aggressive temperament out of Kassian I wanted....to say he won't amount to a hill of beans after one pro season (especially when he was routinely characterized as very raw in the first place) is a bit of an overstatement.

He did have a conversation with Ted Black. TB said he ran into him at a fundraiser thing at the Zoo. Talked about family and Goose said how nice an organization Nashville was. I guess you could call that "in conversation" with the Sabres.

Bring him back and trade him for another first rounder at the deadline!

And Hodgson looked poor his first year in the AHL....then ended up with 41 points in the NHL last season. While I didn't see the aggressive temperament out of Kassian I wanted....to say he won't amount to a hill of beans after one pro season (especially when he was routinely characterized as very raw in the first place) is a bit of an overstatement.

You got me there. But I have to trust my gut on this one. Kassian doesn't have "it".

Archived