Offseason

thewookie1

I recall boyes getting power play time until lindy realized that it would be better to just play 4 on 4. He didn't do anything. He is al kotalik with a less fancy name.

Boyes had 2 powerplay goals...the same number as Ennis, and one less than Stafford. Boyes never got near the opportunity on the powerplay that those guys did though.

I find it funny and ironic that many people on here bash Ruff for failing to get the most out of his talent while simultaneously blaming the players that Ruff failed to put in position to succeed. You can't have your cake and eat it too. Ruff never found a place for Boyes. It took him 3/4ths of the season to find a somewhat acceptable line for Leino. He stumbled onto putting Ennis at center. He lucked out with the production Foligno added when called up. Gerbe was lost in space by the end of the year. Ruff is a mad scientist with his lines and unfortunately some very talented players have suffered statistically under him.

Boyes had 2 powerplay goals...the same number as Ennis, and one less than Stafford. Boyes never got near the opportunity on the powerplay that those guys did though.

I find it funny and ironic that many people on here bash Ruff for failing to get the most out of his talent while simultaneously blaming the players that Ruff failed to put in position to succeed. You can't have your cake and eat it too. Ruff never found a place for Boyes. It took him 3/4ths of the season to find a somewhat acceptable line for Leino. He stumbled onto putting Ennis at center. He lucked out with the production Foligno added when called up. Gerbe was lost in space by the end of the year. Ruff is a mad scientist with his lines and unfortunately some very talented players have suffered statistically under him.

Dude, boyes is the exact image I desperately want to see leave this team. Average size, average heart/effort, horrible stats, failing to show up when it matters, and jersey numbers in the low 20s.

And costing $500,000 per goal.

Dude, boyes is the exact image I desperately want to see leave this team. Average size, average heart/effort, horrible stats, failing to show up when it matters, and jersey numbers in the low 20s.

That's why he fits so well - The only thing not average about him, is his salary.

Then I hope you want Vanek gone too. He's costing $273k per goal, lacks speed, lacks heart, coasts on most nights, took 52 minutes in penalties (mostly due to his laziness), and couldn't be less clutch. Roy is costing $235k per goal, can't win a battle in the corners to save his life, can't play defense, and takes stupid penalties (54 minutes of them). I guess Pominville is a bargain, since he only costs $173k per goal, despite the fact that he is a MINUS 7.

Again, I repeat, I don't want Brad Boyes for $4 mil. But nobody is going to offer Boyes $4 mil. Sign him cheap and put him on a line with some playmakers. The guy will produce. He has enough talent to be a second liner. Peter Laviolette would make Boyes a 30-goal scorer again. A real coach can get the best out of guys like Boyes.

So let's also find a real coach.

Bottom line, this team needs to address the lack of physicality in the off season. No longer should we be pushed around by the Bruins/Flyers/etc. With the possible exception of Foligno and assuming Foligno becomes a top 6 forward, we don't have a top 6 forward that can compete with the Backes/Wayne Simmonds/Jagr/Lucic/Kesler/etc. Instead, we have Vanek/Roy/Pominville/Leino/Ennis/Hodgson, all of whom shy away from physical contact. Dump some of these flower children and get some size around here. Get me someone that will consistently win battles in the corner and maintain puck possession. Replace Vanek/Roy/Leino with some players who don't mind getting dirty and maybe then we can talk about a Cup around here.

Might remind you that Boyes was a +2, while Pominville was a captain-like MINUS 7, Vanek was a MINUS 6, and Roy was a MINUS 7.

Zack Parise, the prize free agent this offseason (if he gets to that point) was a captain-like -5. When you take a top line guy who excells at the defensive game and routinely plays against the opponents top guys, he tends to have a lower plus/minus when compared to a guy getting 5 minutes a game (yeah an exaggeration) against the opposing bottom feeders.

Zack Parise, the prize free agent this offseason (if he gets to that point) was a captain-like -5. When you take a top line guy who excells at the defensive game and routinely plays against the opponents top guys, he tends to have a lower plus/minus when compared to a guy getting 5 minutes a game (yeah an exaggeration) against the opposing bottom feeders.

But...but plus/minus is sooooo important. It's the sole fact that shows why Regehr sucks! :rolleyes:

I really need to wait until the playoffs are over before I start making a wish list. All I do know now is that there needs to be some good changes made this summer.

I'm a 68 year old fan who was born in Buffalo, but my parents moved away after the war. I grew up just south of Ogdensburg, NY. There you watched Channels 6 &9 Montreal. The only team talked about mostly was the Canadians. Oh, every once in a while they would mention this guy Gordie Howe or that dirty player Ted Lindsay. Point being, I grew up listening to talk about a team, sure they had individual stars and great ones, but they played as a team or the coach would bench them. The announcers never ever made excuses for them, in fact, they were some of the biggest critics and didn't accept the coach as a god.

When Buffalo formed a team, 41 years ago, I quickly became a fan although, I lived in central New York state. The first years were great, they played as a team even with the French connection. Then something happened, no longer were the players a team, they were individuals striving to make millions and once they had a large contract with protection clauses, they rested on their Laurels.

Gone were the days of Danny Gare, who after team practice would spend time shooting pucks at a net.

You could probably count on one hand the number of times he hit the 'POST', it was double figures for this team this year.

Buffalo has one great line to start the season and part of a second, one player short, the rest deserve no more than a fourth line start and I would only play with 3 lines.

The lines #1 Lw: Foligno C: Ennis Rw: Stafford

#2 Lw: C: Hodgson Rw: Pominville

Defense: Tyler Meyers Ehrhoff

Regehr McNabb

Sekera Sulzer

Leopold to sub for Sulzer or injury.

As for goalie, I can't think of one, but until there is a head coach, defensive coach and an offensive coach who can motivate the team, no goalie can be a winner.

But finally a bigger problem exists than all this combined.

That is the NHL Head office and their line of thinking. They for years now have used Buffalo as a rag.

First no other team would have stood for that foot in the crease excuse the NHL used. Imagine what would have happened if Don Cherry had been the Buffalo coach.

Next back to back home and away games, NOBODY had more than Buffalo period.

Penalties, referees call simple ones on Buffalo and they are penalties but then let the opposing team get away with same thing. Look at the tapes, happened quite a few times this year.

Owners have to tell the NHL, enough is enough, fair is fair. Let us have a good schedule for a change. You want back to back, fine same two teams different areas.

Finally it is up to the fans, if the fans aren't buying, the owners will change things. The fans gave the new owner a chance, now the owner owes the fans a new team or they don't come back.

Then I hope you want Vanek gone too. He's costing $273k per goal, lacks speed, lacks heart, coasts on most nights, took 52 minutes in penalties (mostly due to his laziness), and couldn't be less clutch. Roy is costing $235k per goal, can't win a battle in the corners to save his life, can't play defense, and takes stupid penalties (54 minutes of them). I guess Pominville is a bargain, since he only costs $173k per goal, despite the fact that he is a MINUS 7.

Again, I repeat, I don't want Brad Boyes for $4 mil. But nobody is going to offer Boyes $4 mil. Sign him cheap and put him on a line with some playmakers. The guy will produce. He has enough talent to be a second liner. Peter Laviolette would make Boyes a 30-goal scorer again. A real coach can get the best out of guys like Boyes.

If the price was right, then certainly I wouldn't mind to see vanek leave. Chop up the core some more. But to me boyes is done. And since lindy appears to be staying, we can all agree he isn't going to squeeze 30 goals out of him. Hell, he barely got 30 out of our leading scorer.

I'm a 68 year old fan who was born in Buffalo, but my parents moved away after the war. I grew up just south of Ogdensburg, NY. There you watched Channels 6 &9 Montreal. The only team talked about mostly was the Canadians. Oh, every once in a while they would mention this guy Gordie Howe or that dirty player Ted Lindsay. Point being, I grew up listening to talk about a team, sure they had individual stars and great ones, but they played as a team or the coach would bench them. The announcers never ever made excuses for them, in fact, they were some of the biggest critics and didn't accept the coach as a god.

When Buffalo formed a team, 41 years ago, I quickly became a fan although, I lived in central New York state. The first years were great, they played as a team even with the French connection. Then something happened, no longer were the players a team, they were individuals striving to make millions and once they had a large contract with protection clauses, they rested on their Laurels.

Gone were the days of Danny Gare, who after team practice would spend time shooting pucks at a net.

You could probably count on one hand the number of times he hit the 'POST', it was double figures for this team this year.

Buffalo has one great line to start the season and part of a second, one player short, the rest deserve no more than a fourth line start and I would only play with 3 lines.

Regehr McNabb

Sekera Sulzer

As for goalie, I can't think of one, but until there is a head coach, defensive coach and an offensive coach who can motivate the team, no goalie can be a winner.

That is the NHL Head office and their line of thinking. They for years now have used Buffalo as a rag.

First no other team would have stood for that foot in the crease excuse the NHL used. Imagine what would have happened if Don Cherry had been the Buffalo coach.

Penalties, referees call simple ones on Buffalo and they are penalties but then let the opposing team get away with same thing. Look at the tapes, happened quite a few times this year.

Owners have to tell the NHL, enough is enough, fair is fair. Let us have a good schedule for a change. You want back to back, fine same two teams different areas.

Finally it is up to the fans, if the fans aren't buying, the owners will change things. The fans gave the new owner a chance, now the owner owes the fans a new team or they don't come back.

Boy, will the list of things you want to see changed this offseason, I'm guessing that you don't have much hope for next season.

I agree with pretty much everything you wrote except for the ref thing. Good teams get the calls. The better you are, the more calls you get. We weren't good enough to get the calls. Actually, we weren't good enough for the reffing to not matter.

Regehr McNabb

Sekera Sulzer

I'm not really going to comment on the rest of what you wrote, just gonna say that some of Sulzers best defensive and most consistent play came while playing with Ehrhoff, I would keep the 2 countrymen together.

I agree with pretty much everything you wrote except for the ref thing. Good teams get the calls. The better you are, the more calls you get. We weren't good enough to get the calls. Actually, we weren't good enough for the reffing to not matter.

I'm going to disagree with both of you on the refs....the way things have gone, no teams get calls whether they're good, bad, or otherwise.

You are either a really good Troll, or you are related to Boyes.

Boyes has shown ABSOLUTLY NOTHING (besides maybe one good year) in his NHL career. Its why St. Louis gave up on him last season and Darcy brought him in to see if a change of scenery would wake him up. His career is on life support living off potential. If Laviolette can make him a 30 goal scorer, let him take the chance, but I would not change a coaching staff in the hopes that MAYBE, you might find someone who could make Brad boyes into a mediocre NHLer

He was demoted to the 4th line (and bench) because he has shown nothing. Maybe they should put Ellis, or McCormick on the 1st line too so they can have the chance to play with 1st liners and possible play better?

Boy, will the list of things you want to see changed this offseason, I'm guessing that you don't have much hope for next season.

I had put the whole "ref" thing away until last weekend. I was up in Canada talking with some guys who know hockey pretty well. During the conversation they brought up how refereeing was going downhill. How it was inconsistent or just non-existent at times.

I thought it was just me but others seem to agree.

Bottom line, this team needs to address the lack of physicality in the off season. No longer should we be pushed around by the Bruins/Flyers/etc. With the possible exception of Foligno and assuming Foligno becomes a top 6 forward, we don't have a top 6 forward that can compete with the Backes/Wayne Simmonds/Jagr/Lucic/Kesler/etc. Instead, we have Vanek/Roy/Pominville/Leino/Ennis/Hodgson, all of whom shy away from physical contact. Dump some of these flower children and get some size around here. Get me someone that will consistently win battles in the corner and maintain puck possession. Replace Vanek/Roy/Leino with some players who don't mind getting dirty and maybe then we can talk about a Cup around here.

I wouldn't say Leino and Ennis shy away from contact. Leino took quite a few shots to play the puck especially after coming back from his injury time off. His play near the end of the season was one that indicated he cared about the game. He put his body on people at times as well. Ennis shies away from the big check because he's small, he also avoids a LOT of the hits by just being insanely agile. Still, I have seen him put his body into a bad spot and I have seen him finish his checks. I wouldn't lump them in the same boat as Roy, Vanek, or Pominville. In fact, I would only include Roy and Vanek in the pathetic category. I wouldn't put ANY of them in the Foligno category either. Leino maintained puck possession, as did Ennis.

I'm going to disagree with both of you on the refs....the way things have gone, no teams get calls whether they're good, bad, or otherwise.

I think it was said on WGR a few days ago. In 2006 the Sabres led the league in PP opportunities. This year they were near the bottom. That's one stat. The more telling stat is that the team that led in PP opportunities this year had FEWER opportunities than the team that had the FEWEST PP opportunities in 2006. While we can talk about players adapting to new rules and thus reducing calls we all know that the refs just aren't calling things like they used to.

I think it was said on WGR a few days ago. In 2006 the Sabres led the league in PP opportunities. This year they were near the bottom. That's one stat. The more telling stat is that the team that led in PP opportunities this year had FEWER opportunities than the team that had the FEWEST PP opportunities in 2006. While we can talk about players adapting to new rules and thus reducing calls we all know that the refs just aren't calling things like they used to.

I don't think it's even debatable that officiating has taken a major downturn in recent years--- but that first post lockout season is a bit problematic in comparing PP opportunities. So many types of calls were getting made that had never previously been called or hadn't in a long while. PPs rose dramatically as a result as both players and officials settled in to a new league standard--- in fact, probably unarguably, no reliable standard has yet been set.

I think that year and this current season represent two opposite ends of an extreme spectrum and something clearly needs to be corrected.

Hecht, Boyes, Gaustad are all gone. They are not coming back. They did not in the past help us win anything. MOVE ON. The anger at the status quo and then the nerve of ppl to say bring these guys back is appalling.

Roy to who the f#@k cares for whatever we can get. Hes done in my eyes and anything less than his immediate removal from the team is a complete failure on everyones part from Pegula down to Ruff

Sulzer can go either way but if you resign him than Sekera is out. So pick Sulzer or Sekera?

To the people wanting Weber traded... so after next season when Regehr is gone or another season older we can replace him with? Brennen? Because McNabb will replace Leo. Weber is good and for playing the minutes he did I think he will continue to improve.

So whats that leave? We need a 3rd line center and rw to keep vanek away from the front of the net (parking vanek there is one of the dumbest coaching moves I have ever witnessed. Ever see Vanek shoot? Exactly.)

My choices for those replacements both come from LA. Stoll and Brown. Both physical, both bigger and stronger than what they would replace and both can score. Brown maybe captain of LA but with Richards and Carter their and a new Coach, that wont last long.

I'd fire Lindy Ruff. 14years. The message is stale. This won't happen but it should.

Final thing, if Roy is gone you can use that 4mil and whatever you get for him to try and pry Brown out of LA. I would guess a 1st and a prospect would be a good starting price. Maybe Brennen? Either way this team needs more guys that have a backbone and it can't just be Foligno and Kaleta.

Boyes has shown ABSOLUTLY NOTHING (besides maybe one good year) in his NHL career. Its why St. Louis gave up on him last season and Darcy brought him in to see if a change of scenery would wake him up. His career is on life support living off potential. If Laviolette can make him a 30 goal scorer, let him take the chance, but I would not change a coaching staff in the hopes that MAYBE, you might find someone who could make Brad boyes into a mediocre NHLer

He was demoted to the 4th line (and bench) because he has shown nothing. Maybe they should put Ellis, or McCormick on the 1st line too so they can have the chance to play with 1st liners and possible play better?

I don't want Boyes back under any circumstances, but I think his playing the 4th line was out of necessity more than it was a demotion as punishment. He had center experience and the need arose for another body to occupy the middle. He was also a less viable contributer as a scoring winger on any of the top 3 lines because he was either unwilling or unable to find space in the "scoring areas" around the net. As fewer obstruction calls are being made, a so-called sniper with a slight frame like Boyes is less useful.

I'd like to thank him for playing the role he was asked to play, without complaint--- and then wish him good luck in all his future endeavors as I show him the door!

Saying he had only one good season is a bit of a stretch on Boyes. That 43 goal season wasn't even his best statistical season with St. Louis. He also had a very strong rookie season with the Bruins. He definitely fell off the face of the earth though.

I'd like to thank him for playing the role he was asked to play, without complaint--- and then wish him good luck in all his future endeavors as I show him the door!

Well said. Boyes was much maligned but he was a team player who did whatever asked without complaint and IMO his effort wasn't at fault. He just didn't have the game we thought we were getting.

It is interesting that Matt Ellis is loved at $525K and Boyes is almost universally despised yet he brought a good effort and has more skill. I guess $4M has a way of doing that to a guy.

Well said. Boyes was much maligned but he was a team player who did whatever asked without complaint and IMO his effort wasn't at fault. He just didn't have the game we thought we were getting.

It is interesting that Matt Ellis is loved at $525K and Boyes is almost universally despised yet he brought a good effort and has more skill. I guess $4M has a way of doing that to a guy.

I can't generate hatred for guys like Boyes--- in fact, I genuinely feel bad when a player in his position becomes a whipping boy. He's in a no-win situation. It's certainly not his fault he was given the contract that he arguably earned on the merits of his goal scoring prowess over an extended period. In less than 12 months, Brad Boyes went from being the sign of everything that could go right under Terry Pegula to the bastard child of everything that is wrong with Darcy Regier and Lindy Ruff.

Thankfully, hope springs eternal:

Gary Roberts@GaryRobertsHPT

Looking forward to having Cody Hodgson back for another great summer! http://video.sabres.nhl.com/videocenter/console?catid=668&id=171087

Regehr McNabb

Sekera Sulzer

Damn good rant.

I can't generate hatred for guys like Boyes--- in fact, I genuinely feel bad when a player in his position becomes a whipping boy. He's in a no-win situation. It's certainly not his fault he was given the contract that he arguably earned on the merits of his goal scoring prowess over an extended period. In less than 12 months, Brad Boyes went from being the sign of everything that could go right under Terry Pegula to the bastard child of everything that is wrong with Darcy Regier and Lindy Ruff.

Thankfully, hope springs eternal:

Gary Roberts@GaryRobertsHPT

Looking forward to having Cody Hodgson back for another great summer! http://video.sabres.nhl.com/videocenter/console?catid=668&id=171087

I wonder if Hodgson drags anyone else with him to camp this summer?

Archived