Offseason

thewookie1

I want Lindy gone sorry don't think this is all DR getting wrong players. Lindys system is old and stale. We need to jettison Roy, vanek, sekera, Boys . Let's see if a new coach can revive leino and get coho playing like his potential

Great column by Jerry Sullivan, if only the two people that could initiate change would read it and take it to heart.

http://www.buffalonews.com/sports/columns/jerry-sullivan/article800685.ece

Normally Sullivan just wants to stir things up but a great article his focus however is mostly on Darcy and I think no matter who gm is if lindy is the coach we will see all the same burning out a goalie, stiff filing play of players, ruining developing players like Adam etc. I liked lindy a lot but the show is old and worn time to move on

I want Lindy gone sorry don't think this is all DR getting wrong players. Lindys system is old and stale. We need to jettison Roy, vanek, sekera, Boys . Let's see if a new coach can revive leino and get coho playing like his potential

Normally Sullivan just wants to stir things up but a great article his focus however is mostly on Darcy and I think no matter who gm is if lindy is the coach we will see all the same burning out a goalie, stiff filing play of players, ruining developing players like Adam etc. I liked lindy a lot but the show is old and worn time to move on

Regier and Ruff are both flawed and this franchise could use some fresh faces and fresh ideas in both positions.

You are 100% correct when you say the show is old and worn. You can't sell a new hope with old and worn faces.

I agree on the Leino deal, but Vanek??? He has been injured the last half a year and playing with one arm and one leg. Roy turns the puck over way too much and hasn't clicked with anyone lately. Vanek and Pomminstein refuse to skate with him because he hogs the puck too long and goes down in a heap. Also, he never regained his speed from the knee injury and can't stop the way he used to. Not sure if it is a long term thing, but I am not going to wait to find out.

Stafford seems to have some consistency with Foligno and Ennis, but I still don't trust him and a swap trade for an equivalent or to move up to the number 1 or 2 draft pick would be fine in my book.

Trade Roy and let Leino go maybe, but I think you get more value for Roy and Stafford, hope Leino starts quick next year and dump him then.

Many posters here are too short-sighted. Regehr makes a poor decision on a play during the Philly game and he suddenly sucks. Lydman was notorious for having one mind-boggling play per game, but he was a solid d-man. You have to realize no one will play a perfect game. When Pominville outworked Ovechkin, that did not signify that Ovechkin should be demoted to the AHL. Myers (granted he was listed as someone to move) doesn't play a perfect game -- he needs to be more physical, blah, blah, blah. Players are going to have strengths and weaknesses. Stafford sucked in most eyes, until he magically meshed with Ennis and Foligno. Why wasn't he listed above more than once or twice? Because he was playing well as of late?

There is some talent on this team to which a few more pieces are needed to be more effective. I don't think you scrap and start over.

When the core defense was healthy, they were very effective. Miller proved he can be very good in front of that defense. Why disassemble it???

Think back to when Gaustad was traded. Ruff played Leino as the shut-down center and he was awesome! Putting a team together isn't fantasy hockey/football league. You need them to be on an effective line, playing to their strengths to get them to work. Gerbe has the spunk that the team needs and he can handle the puck. Should he really be on the checking line though? I think he is being asked to play a role that doesn't fully utilize him.

Armia is going to be on this team soon. I hoped he starts off well or he will be deemed a 1st round bust by his 3rd game. European players are too soft, blah, blah, blah. When he comes up, and some of these AHLers challenge, there will be some players that will have to be moved.

When Kassian, Gaustad, and MAG were moved at the trade deadline, no one really saw that coming. But the shake-up helped the team. I have confidence that Pegula will see the proper moves are made, and I think they will shock some of us. I am still amazed that people are criticizing management for lack of action or ineffective action. They have been one of the most active teams in the league since last summer.

Enjoy your summer.

Armia is going to be on this team soon. I hoped he starts off well or he will be deemed a 1st round bust by his 3rd game. European players are too soft, blah, blah, blah. When he comes up, and some of these AHLers challenge, there will be some players that will have to be moved.

Isn't Armia at least 2-3 years away from even sniffing the NHL as a temporary call-up? He hasn't even played in the AHL yet, AFAIK.

Isn't Armia at least 2-3 years away from even sniffing the NHL as a temporary call-up? He hasn't even played in the AHL yet, AFAIK.

Probably 1 year away. The league he plays in over in Finland is at least as good, if not better, than the AHL. The original plan when he was drafted was to allow him to finish his 2 years in Europe, and then come over to the States. After his commitment is done over there, he is a prime candidate to jump right into the NHL and just bypass the AHL entirely.

Great column by Jerry Sullivan, if only the two people that could initiate change would read it and take it to heart.

http://www.buffalone...ticle8It00685.ece

What in particular makes that column great? That you agree with it? There's nothing in there that hasn't been said ten thousand times over again by people on every Sabres message board or at a bar. It offers no additional insight into how things have or haven't changed in the organization (aside from saying Pegula has deepened the organizational dysfunction....a charge for which he has zero evidence, unless dysfunction is defined simply as missing the playoffs). He offers no suggestions as to who should replace Ruff/Regier, no hockey analysis at all (this is of course, in part, because Sullivan is completely clueless on the game of hockey). It wasn't a "great" article by any standard other than you agree with it.

So, back to the roster.

Who? Thomas Vanek and Derek Roy need to go, point blank. Neither players are true game changers when looking at the larger picture of Stanley Cup contention, and both, packaged in a deal, could most certainly bring in decent returns.

So Roy and Vanek both suck but, at the same time, are so good that other teams would trade us quality players for them, possibly even a superstar if we "package" the two of them together. Does anyone else see the flaw in this logic?

So Roy and Vanek both suck but, at the same time, are so good that other teams would trade us quality players for them, possibly even a superstar if we "package" the two of them together. Does anyone else see the flaw in this logic?

I see it. To get the center we want, it would take deals that most here would hate, because it would involve the firsts, foligno, mcnabb, myers, etc. I honestly don't see a big center coming this year. It obviously could happen, but I think Roy/Hodgson/Ennis is what we see next year.

If we want a superstar center, the most plausible way to do it is trade up high enough in the draft to get a potential superstar center. Some combination of Roy, Sekera, 1sts, Stafford, Leino, etc. is just not going to get a top 10 center in the league. There's several teams drafting high this year who need defensive help more than forwards (Isles and Oilers come to mind), and this draft has insane depth on defense in the 1st round. Because of this, one of those higher up teams may be willing to move down since they can still add to their defense, get more picks in a deep draft, and a current NHL defenseman.

This is an offseason move so I thought it should go here--- of particular interest to anyone considering purchasing a Foligno jersey:

"@DropThePuckWHTK:

#Sabres Foligno says he may switch to jersey #17 (though Whitmore said he'd offer up #71). Hear more from Marcus: dropthepuckradio.com"

I wouldnt be shocked if the sabres sign Hecht to a 1 or 2 contract around 1.something million. If healthy he still is a valuable 3rd line center and great PK player. Problem is people always thought wow Hecht should score 60 points every year.

20 points and shutting down the opponent is fine for me.

Hecht isnt a center..At his best he was a 2nd or 3rd line winger who could play well on the pk

My offseason wishes have been the same for 5 yrs, get a center, a real live center born to play center not adopted from some other position, a center nothing more nothing less

This is an offseason move so I thought it should go here--- of particular interest to anyone considering purchasing a Foligno jersey:

"@DropThePuckWHTK:

#Sabres Foligno says he may switch to jersey #17 (though Whitmore said he'd offer up #71). Hear more from Marcus: dropthepuckradio.com"

I think it would actually be cooler if people stuck with the #82 IMO.

Out: Hecht

Resign: Sulzer, Boyes (to a much more appropriate contract), Ennis (restricted), Kaleta (cheap)

Promote: McNabb, Adam

Cap relief trade block: Roy, Vanek, Leopold, Sekera

Free agent targets: Semin, Parise, Weber (restricted - make a big offer they must match, which makes it easier to take a run at...), Suter, Carle, Stempniak

Next year's lines:

Stafford-Ennis-Foligno

Vanek-Hodgson-Boyes

Leino-Adam-Pominville

Kaleta-McCormick-Gerbe

Ehrhoff-Myers

Regehr-Leopold

Sulzer-McNabb

I would like to see Vanek out before Roy. If both go thats ok as well. It's sad cause as we could see on the gongshow, Roy has some sick sick skills

I used to think the very opposite of this, but I agree. I'd like to keep both of them and get rid of Leino, frankly, but if one of the two guys has to go, I'm no longer in the Roy-at-all-costs camp and think Vanek would be the better choice...for both the team, and for Vanek.

Resign: Sulzer, Boyes (to a much more appropriate contract), Ennis (restricted), Kaleta (cheap)

Promote: McNabb, Adam

Cap relief trade block: Roy, Vanek, Leopold, Sekera

Free agent targets: Semin, Parise, Weber (restricted - make a big offer they must match, which makes it easier to take a run at...), Suter, Carle, Stempniak

Next year's lines:

Stafford-Ennis-Foligno

Vanek-Hodgson-Boyes

Leino-Adam-Pominville

Kaleta-McCormick-Gerbe

Ehrhoff-Myers

Regehr-Leopold

Sulzer-McNabb

you want Boyes again?

So nobody else wants to join my "Let's grab Nick Foligno's rights from Ottawa" bandwagon? Come on, this could be fun! :D

I have been saying that since he came up to play for the Sens and the Sabres drafted his brother

If it means never having to see Boyes or Ellis in a regular role with the Sabres again, I'm down.

I have never understood the hatred of Matt Ellis around here. He is not expected to be the teams superstar, he is a 4th liner/healthy scratch guy who comes in and plays hard to fill a lineup spot when needed. With a Salary Cap system, you need a few players like him, that are playing for the league minimum and fill a role when needed. Your not gonna fill a Roster with Crosbys....

i don't think the NHL allows a player to pay his team for the right to play on the team..........................

Agree 100%.

Regehr and Miller were both beaten badly on the goal that ended the Sabres playoff hopes. That's $10 mil worth of hockey players that needed to come up big and make a play. The Sabres traded for Regehr and pay Miller $6 mil to come up big in moments just like that.

Good thing you were smart enough not to be one of the many around here begging for him and saying he is exactly the kind of Player that Darcy needs to bring here last year :doh:

I am hoping to see Derek Roy moved. It is in part because I do no think he is a crunch time performer, but also because I expect that he will be a #3 line center next year and I want to see a different skillset at #3 center position. I;d like to see a grittier, harder to play against center for that #3 line. And, if we are going to be taken seriously as a Cup contender next season we can't have Corey Tropp playing the wing opposite Thomas Vanek. He's not ready for that role and IMO probably never will be. He's a good hard working player that added some grit to that line but really, he's a grinder. Vanek is not best served with a grinder on his opposite wing. Ideally, I'd like someone along the lines of Nash/Brown/Clowe on Vanek's right but those guys are hard to pry away. I think that 2nd tier guys like Doan/Ryan Malone/Steve Downie could also be a sizeable improvement for Vanek's line. Any one of those players could take over the power forward/ get beat up in front of the net role that Vanek is currently occupying and free Thomas up to unleash that dangerous shot from the low slot.

As for Roy;s replacement, I would like to see the #3 line become a puck possession line with the ability to pitch in 65 goals. IMO Leino would work out real well there and I think Pommer would do just fine as well. But I think that line needs a different personality for center. Brooks Laich might be ideal. I still want to see Steve Ott in Sabre colors. And UFA Jarrett Stoll would work well too but he's gonna be well overpriced I'm afraid. I think Chris Kelly is an FA this season, be nice to pry him from Boston for our 3rd line.

And lastly, we really don't have a center for our 4th line. McCormick doesn't have the wheels to play center ice well. Zenon Konopka is an FA if I remember correctly. Adding Z to a line with the Mic and Kaleta would be entertaining to say the least.

Foligno - Ennis - Stafford

Vanek- Hodgson - Brown

Leino - Ott - Pomminstein

McC - Konopka - Kaleta

Tropp as the extra forward

In my fantasy world we move our early draft picks and a good NHL defenseman and maybe a good prospect to obtain Brown, trade Roy to Dallas for Ott and a draft pick, and sign Konopka as a free agent. We've improved our skill level and grit on Vanek's line and added grit, size, and compete in the #3 line. And moved yet another part of the core that can't seem to rise to the occassion.

Disclaimer - I didn't bother to run this through capgeek so I have no idea if it works.

Disclaimer 2 - This is an off the cuff idea that I haven't taken the effort to dig into enough to see if their are gaping holes. And I have no flippin clue what it might take to obtain a Brown type player. Might have to set the sights lower but the names I mentioned represent the type of player I'd like to see for Vanek's RW.

Archived