Offseason

thewookie1

Saying he had only one good season is a bit of a stretch on Boyes. That 43 goal season wasn't even his best statistical season with St. Louis. He also had a very strong rookie season with the Bruins. He definitely fell off the face of the earth though.

He did that in a time where 35% of NHL goals were scored on power plays. Now it is 20%. The game moved away from where he made his money.

He did that in a time where 35% of NHL goals were scored on power plays. Now it is 20%. The game moved away from where he made his money.

Dang. That one almost explains it all... But it brings up a few questions in my mind. Were teams just better at scoring on the PP, were there more 5-on-3s being given out, or are there that many fewer powerplays being handed out in total now? I think I remember more 5-on-3s right after the lockout, but that's as close as I can get to attempting to answer my own questions.

That's definitely a part of it, but his PP to total goal ratio looks to be relatively similar to where it was back at his high point. So his scoring is down across the board. So it goes beyond just the penalties but also to the loss of the open space the game had coming out of the lockout.

That's pretty much your point though, isn't it?

I don't want Boyes back under any circumstances, but I think his playing the 4th line was out of necessity more than it was a demotion as punishment. He had center experience and the need arose for another body to occupy the middle. He was also a less viable contributer as a scoring winger on any of the top 3 lines because he was either unwilling or unable to find space in the "scoring areas" around the net. As fewer obstruction calls are being made, a so-called sniper with a slight frame like Boyes is less useful.

I'd like to thank him for playing the role he was asked to play, without complaint--- and then wish him good luck in all his future endeavors as I show him the door!

What Role was he asked to play that he played well?????

He was brought in to be a goal scorer and score goals. They brought him in to add to the offence, he didn't do that and has been a huge bust/disapointment.

Well said. Boyes was much maligned but he was a team player who did whatever asked without complaint and IMO his effort wasn't at fault. He just didn't have the game we thought we were getting.

It is interesting that Matt Ellis is loved at $525K and Boyes is almost universally despised yet he brought a good effort and has more skill. I guess $4M has a way of doing that to a guy.

Matt Ellis is not loved around here, and he comes in and plays the role he is asked without complaint. He is not expected to come in and be a star, he is expected to play 4th line minutes and be a healthy body who can be put into a game when needed. Boyes role was to come here and add offence, score some goals. Of course he didn't complain when asked to do stuff because he couldn't do what he was brought here for so he needed to try and do something to stay in the lineup

Dang. That one almost explains it all... But it brings up a few questions in my mind. Were teams just better at scoring on the PP, were there more 5-on-3s being given out, or are there that many fewer powerplays being handed out in total now? I think I remember more 5-on-3s right after the lockout, but that's as close as I can get to attempting to answer my own questions.

I seem to recall banking on getting a 5 on 3 almost every game, where this year we went weeks on end between them.

I wonder if Hodgson drags anyone else with him to camp this summer?

I mentioned somewhere - I would hope that Terry Pegula could get the whole team to go work with Roberts. Hire Roberts as the new conditioning coach.

What Role was he asked to play that he played well?????

He was brought in to be a goal scorer and score goals. They brought him in to add to the offence, he didn't do that and has been a huge bust/disapointment.

Did you miss the other 99% of my two posts on Boyes in this thread? I think he was asked to center the 4th line out of necessity not punishment, and though that hindered his abilities, he did so without complaint. I also said I think he was no longer physically capable of finding space in front of the net where he previously had success scoring goals due to the increased traffic which is running rampant now that obstruction has once again become the norm.

I also said there's no place for him on this team and I'm not interested in having him back. He contributed as a goalscorer and gave us a spark once we acquired him then disappeared for the most part once he moved to center and even more once he dropped to the 4th line. I can't hate him for that and there's now no longer any reason to run him out of town--- next season, he'll be playing for someone else or out of the league.

5-6 PP/team post lockout. Now it is down to about 3-something/team. There are just less opportunities. 5 on 5 hockey is where it is at in 2012.

Roy, Leopold, Boyes, Hecht, Gerbe would be the ones I'd lose (for the right price unless they're a UFA). Keep Sulzer and go for another top 2 center, preferably focusing on skill rather than 'character player'. I'd say also go for a solid PK bottom 6 guy, like Gausted but I'm still dubious about bringing him back. The rest of the team should stay pretty intact imho.

Biggest change for me has to be Ruff and Regier, neither will struggle to find a job but we need some fresh blood.

Archived