Offseason

thewookie1

We are the second youngest team in the NHL, i would like to keep some Vets on the team.

Roy, Leino, Stafford and 4 firsts for Nash is stupid, the guy might be good but that is theoretically 120+ points we are giving away. Also i am not sure any team wants $12.5 mil in cap...

I think keep Regier, he has shown he is savy with the trades. Tbh, i am not one of the Lindy haters and i don't think replacing a coach is always the right decision, simply an easy one. The Leafs, Canadiens and Caps have not shown a noticeable improvement since swapping coaches. As for trades, i don't really like speculating that much as it is hard to know what guys are like in the lockeroom and the chemistry they have. But i would not be against trading most of the players if the deals were right. On my keep list would be Miller, Myers, Erhoff, Coho, Ennis, Foligno and Pominville. Everyone else i think if the asking price is right....

After his poor season, i would not be against trading Vanek. If we could get Parise in from FA. The cap hit would be replaceable and someone like Vanek would be a huge name to trade and could bring back could pieces (Nash?)

Also, i do think injuries played a big part of our season. 5 more wins and we would be in a pretty nice position, probably top 5 (when you consider the fact we might have beaten some of the teams in front, so taken points from them as well). I think as has been shown recently, if Erhoff, Regehr, Leopold and Myers our defence is alright, if 2/4 are missing we are hard pressed.

Of the things I think are wrong with the team, Robyn Regehr is near the bottom of that list. And if we trade anything remotely resembling Roy, Leino, Stafford AND all of our top 4 draft picks for Nash, I'll be screaming so loud for Regier's head that even DeLuca and GoDD would be telling me to calm down.

I didn't realize we have missed the playoffs 6 of the past 10 years. Wow!

What coach and/or GM gets to keep his job when they've failed to guide their squads to he dance, 60% of the time?

It's a no-brained to me!

What coach and/or GM gets to keep his job when they've failed to guide their squads to he dance, 60% of the time?

It's a no-brained to me!

Yes, that is true, it is an awful record! But tbh, i think that the important thing is that ownership has changed, so perhaps it is unfair to judge 8 of those 10 seasons, as in that time the sabres were either bankrupt or on a tight internal budget. If you consider the last two seasons we are 1/2, as last season we were certainly not making the playoffs before TP got in (although there was too little time to change anything really...)

Whilst we have missed this year, let's not forget, we could have missed simply because we won too many games in the shootout, not OT... (or rather, the caps won a disproportionate number of games not in the shootout)

What a wasted season, stained with the indignity of being eliminated by the Leafs and Flyers :doh:

I wonder is Ruff will rest Miller and play Enroth tonight. :doh:

I expect to see a lot of Pominville (29 goals) and Hodgson (19 goals) just to get them that one goal each needs.

This will be the last time some of these players wear the Sabres uniform. I guess we will all be discussing how many players and which players should be included on that list in the off-season which will start in about 11 hours.

If Boyes and Hecht are back next year, I won't be happy that's for sure.

Boyes is.... Well a complete waste of uniform, and I'll be surprised if he hasn't played himself out of the league this season.

Hecht is overpriced, and quite frankly no longer needed, if he ever was.

Would love to see Roy and Stafford gone too but this is Darcy we're talking about.

The overpriced/useless UFA's simply HAVE to be gone next year, though.

Won't mention where I'd like to see the GM and coach go, cause it's about as likely to happen as me winning the lottery, and if it came down to it, I'd rather win the lottery ;)

http://www.buffalonews.com/sports/sabres-nhl/article799634.ece

"After putting the Sabres through an hourlong practice, their longest in weeks if not months, Ruff summoned the players to the blue line again. They took a knee and stared up at Ruff, another extended tongue lashing on tap. The coach ended the long lesson brusquely and skated away to fire a puck off the goal post."

How fitting.

http://www.buffalone...ticle799634.ece

"After putting the Sabres through an hourlong practice, their longest in weeks if not months, Ruff summoned the players to the blue line again. They took a knee and stared up at Ruff, another extended tongue lashing on tap. The coach ended the long lesson brusquely and skated away to fire a puck off the goal post."

How fitting.

And about four months too late. What's the point of railing on the team after they've been eliminated? Where was this tongue lashing when they were figure skating through a 12 game road losing streak? No sense winning today...that just gives them a worse draft position.

And about four months too late. What's the point of railing on the team after they've been eliminated? Where was this tongue lashing when they were figure skating through a 12 game road losing streak? No sense winning today...that just gives them a worse draft position.

DId you read this part: "another extended tongue lashing on tap"?

How fitting.

I haven't laughed so hard in a long time.

If Boyes and Hecht are back next year, I won't be happy that's for sure.

Boyes is.... Well a complete waste of uniform, and I'll be surprised if he hasn't played himself out of the league this season.

Hecht is overpriced, and quite frankly no longer needed, if he ever was.

Would love to see Roy and Stafford gone too but this is Darcy we're talking about.

The overpriced/useless UFA's simply HAVE to be gone next year, though.

Won't mention where I'd like to see the GM and coach go, cause it's about as likely to happen as me winning the lottery, and if it came down to it, I'd rather win the lottery ;)

I would like to see some moves beyond the standard names we read everyday. I like to throw out Regehr's name. He is like Rivet at this point, he no longer is the defenseman that many, including myself, were excited about when the Sabres acquired him.

DId you read this part: "another extended tongue lashing on tap"?

That said, he has a point - What's the point chewing them out now?

What he should do is let them go through the motions, have the entire practice video taped, then play it back at day 1 of training camp.

"That's what an eliminated team looks like, boys".

What he should do is let them go through the motions, have the entire practice video taped, then play it back at day 1 of training camp.

I actually agree that there's no point in chewing them out now (but don't think for a second that he wouldn't have been criticized for that, too).

And I like your training camp suggestion a lot.

He should just replay the game in Toronto and have the same message. Or even better, maybe someone should show Lindy the tape and ask how this team can pull a Lindy Special at such an important time of the season.

I get the idea of the coach chewing out the players, it's just someone needs to address the issue of Lindy's team regularly not being ready/prepared to play.

He should just replay the game in Toronto and have the same message. Or even better, maybe someone should show Lindy the tape and ask how this team can pull a Lindy Special at such an important time of the season.

I get the idea of the coach chewing out the players, it's just someone needs to address the issue of Lindy's team regularly not being ready/prepared to play.

Maybe Linde finally decided to stop coddling these guys and channel his inner John Tortorella.

I would like to see so moves beyond the standard names we read everyday. I like to through out Regehr's name. He is like Rivet at this point, he no longer id the defenseman that many, including myself, were excited about when the Sabres acquired him.

Once the season is done and the forum calms down a bit I'd like to have this discussion. I think the point you are nibbling at has some merit.

Are you thinking of Robyn Regehr, the defenseman? Or are you really surprised that he wants to dump Darcy Regier, the GM?

Oops - brain fart. I was thinking Regehr. And I'd keep both of them. Darcy brought in some players, some preformed better than others, but he did a good job IMO. Regehr isn't the beast he was years ago, but he is generally a solid Dman who doesn't make many mistakes.

He got absolutely burned in the most critical situation of the season last night, and it's not the first time, either. I'm not saying get rid of him, but after seeing him look like a freaking pylon in a handful of 1v1s this season makes you wonder if he still has the legs to compete with the speedier forwards in the game.

Agree 100%.

Regehr and Miller were both beaten badly on the goal that ended the Sabres playoff hopes. That's $10 mil worth of hockey players that needed to come up big and make a play. The Sabres traded for Regehr and pay Miller $6 mil to come up big in moments just like that.

It's a no-brained to me!

The only problem with that is that the numbers have been cherry-picked. He led Buffalo to the playoffs in each of his first four years. In all, it's eight times in 14 years, so he's only failed 40% of the time. Changes things a bit, no?

How fitting.

Yeah. After reading that article, and watching the whole season, I am one of the last to say....BB-Bye Lindy. He really lost me this year (along with A LOT of HIS players. A few of the things I noticed during the year that bugged me:

1. When things started to go bad he started saying.....and then his players started saying something to the effect of..... "We've got to get in a groove and win a CHUNK of games"....and ...."we need to get on a run"....."Get a few wins in a row". I kept hearing that @1/3 - 1/2 way through the season. It bugged me a little when I first heard it. I know it is a cliche to say "We need to play one game at a time", but there is SOOOOOOOOOOOOO MUCH TRUTH to that!!!!!!!!! You play one game at a time, one period at a time. That is how all professional sports are played. I couldn't believe Lindy spoke like this. :wallbash:

2. Calling out players in the media incessantly. I don't mind doing it here and there and actually like some of that honesty. But when you do it all the time, it becomes a very WEAK tactic to run your team.

3. Which may have lead some to show signs of tuning out the coach. Which was the other thing that Lindy lost me on.....The incessant yelling at everyone. Hell, I got tired of it and he wasn't even yelling at me!! We all could see Lindy losing the team right in front of our eyes! :rolleyes: It was kinda sad, actually. Like he was succumbing to all the pressure.

4. Lindy is like a broken clock. The things he got right were not because they were ideas of his, it was more like an accident. Examples: Ennis THRIVING at center. Lindy never came up with this idea. He was forced to b/c of injuries (and not a lot of players can move to the center spot). How do we know it was an accident? When players came back Lindy moved him back to wing.

Same with Foligno. Would he ever have been called up if it were not for injuries. Yes, we traded Kassian and needed some added toughness, but it was dumb luck more than anything. There are countless examples of this. If you change the lines every 5 mins, you are bound to find something that works.

5. He kills the offensive talent of anyone that comes near him. He is like kryptonite to a goal scorer. See: (OK, the list would be to long.). You know.

I am actually starting to think it may be better to keep Darcy and lose Lindy. Anyhow, I have always liked Lindy, but I think his time has come. Way to motivate your players Lindy.....and put all the blame on them. Nice. :wallbash:

Another thought: I give TP points for his enthusiastic spending on the team in the offseason. The situation reminds me a bit of my LA Angels a couple years ago. They spent huge money in the offseason but the huge money brought Vernon Wells, a second-rate "superstar" who had a terrible year. But the following year they brought in Pujols and CJ Wilson and it looks if the owner wants to spend, he should spend on a first rate superstar (or superstars) instead of a high-rent guy that's in the upper echelon. They're never worth it.

Yeah. After reading that article, and watching the whole season, I am one of the last to say....BB-Bye Lindy. He really lost me this year (along with A LOT of HIS players. A few of the things I noticed during the year that bugged me:

1. When things started to go bad he started saying.....and then his players started saying something to the effect of..... "We've got to get in a groove and win a CHUNK of games"....and ...."we need to get on a run"....."Get a few wins in a row". I kept hearing that @1/3 - 1/2 way through the season. It bugged me a little when I first heard it. I know it is a cliche to say "We need to play one game at a time", but there is SOOOOOOOOOOOOO MUCH TRUTH to that!!!!!!!!! You play one game at a time, one period at a time. That is how all professional sports are played. I couldn't believe Lindy spoke like this. :wallbash:

2. Calling out players in the media incessantly. I don't mind doing it here and there and actually like some of that honesty. But when you do it all the time, it becomes a very WEAK tactic to run your team.

3. Which may have lead some to show signs of tuning out the coach. Which was the other thing that Lindy lost me on.....The incessant yelling at everyone. Hell, I got tired of it and he wasn't even yelling at me!! We all could see Lindy losing the team right in front of our eyes! :rolleyes: It was kinda sad, actually. Like he was succumbing to all the pressure.

4. Lindy is like a broken clock. The things he got right were not because they were ideas of his, it was more like an accident. Examples: Ennis THRIVING at center. Lindy never came up with this idea. He was forced to b/c of injuries (and not a lot of players can move to the center spot). How do we know it was an accident? When players came back Lindy moved him back to wing.

Same with Foligno. Would he ever have been called up if it were not for injuries. Yes, we traded Kassian and needed some added toughness, but it was dumb luck more than anything. There are countless examples of this. If you change the lines every 5 mins, you are bound to find something that works.

5. He kills the offensive talent of anyone that comes near him. He is like kryptonite to a goal scorer. See: (OK, the list would be to long.). You know.

I am actually starting to think it may be better to keep Darcy and lose Lindy. Anyhow, I have always liked Lindy, but I think his time has come. Way to motivate your players Lindy.....and put all the blame on them. Nice. :wallbash:

You state a lot of opinion as if it were fact.

changes are coming on the roster, that much is a lock.

Regier and Ruff being ousted? Not going to happen this off season tbh. Peg's openly admitted to injuries being a contributing factor and Regier has shown he can deal some with the chains off mentality. Let's not even debate Ruff with TPeg's making statements such as "Lindy ain't goin nowhere".

So, back to the roster.

Who? Thomas Vanek and Derek Roy need to go, point blank. Neither players are true game changers when looking at the larger picture of Stanley Cup contention, and both, packaged in a deal, could most certainly bring in decent returns.

One name comes to mind for FA, Zach Parise. He should be sitting on Hodgson's LW, not Vanek, and it could happen.

All you'd be looking for then is that right winger, I'd go with Nash for sure, if he can be got from CBJ's.

And I'd also look to put a 3rd scoring line together that can play shutdown as well. But I wouldn't bring back Goose for that roll, time to move on.

Whenever I made noise about there being a "cancer in the locker room", I was just venting aimlessly. Roy and Stafford are keepers, far as I'm concerned. And I'm embarrassed for ever participating in that kind of senseless stuff. Besides, Roy's due for a HUGE year, as he's entering his contract year. Good things. Good things.

It's between Leino and Vanek, IMO. Alot of people are saying that Regier won't give up on Leino this early into his new contract. If they're right, then it's Vanek getting traded. Probably on Draft Day. Vanek and our 1st for Nail? I can see it.

And I'd love it if we can grab Nick Foligno from Ottawa, too. He's RFA right now.

Archived