Offseason

thewookie1

Resign: Boyes (to a much more appropriate contract),

Uh...He had exactly one good game this season, the last one which meant nothing. This might be the worst idea I've ever read on this message board.

Promote: Adam

The way Luke Adam is playing right now, I'm not sure he'd make a good ECHLer let alone a shot in the NHL. I've never seen a player lose it the way he has. I really hope they get him a shrink or life coach or a puppy. He can't play hockey at all right now.

I have never understood the hatred of Matt Ellis around here. He is not expected to be the teams superstar, he is a 4th liner/healthy scratch guy who comes in and plays hard to fill a lineup spot when needed. With a Salary Cap system, you need a few players like him, that are playing for the league minimum and fill a role when needed. Your not gonna fill a Roster with Crosbys....

I don't hate Matt Ellis, just his lack of bringing ANYTHING to the table. He can't skate, won't fight, doesn't hit, has zero offensive ability and adds no value to special teams. I'd rather have the fourth line made up of players like Kaleta (hits, fights, PK), McCormick (fights, hits), Tropp (hits, fights, decent hands), Turnbull (agitator, hits, fights), Szezchura (good hands, PP, PK). Good teams have players on the 4th line that contribute. Matt Ellis is just there. I've read about his work ethic and what great shape he is in, so make him their strength & conditioning coach, I just want him nowhere near the Sabres 4th line.

OK, I gotta know. All this hate for Regier. We all know his hands were tied behind his back for years. He's had just a little over a year to do what he wants. Regehr was a great addition, so was Ehrhoff. It's obvious by the way this team lost games without them in the lineup. Leino was a bust. He managed to get a 1st round pick for Gaustad, picked up what turned out to be a solid D-man in Sulzer and also a center with tons of potential. All while losing very little. Aside from Leino, what has he done to deserve such hatred? Why should his past years be held against him when he wasn't allowed to do anything? Don't you want to see what he can do this offseason after the moves he's made since Pegula got here? Seriously, I didn't think he would make any blockbuster deals before the trade deadline, the cost would have been too much. It wouldn't have helped.

I want Lindy gone sorry don't think this is all DR getting wrong players. Lindys system is old and stale. We need to jettison Roy, vanek, sekera, Boys . Let's see if a new coach can revive leino and get coho playing like his potential

Normally Sullivan just wants to stir things up but a great article his focus however is mostly on Darcy and I think no matter who gm is if lindy is the coach we will see all the same burning out a goalie, stiff filing play of players, ruining developing players like Adam etc. I liked lindy a lot but the show is old and worn time to move on

Been on the "Fire Ruff" wagon for years, and I'm only getting more comfy with each passing season.

Wow.... Reading that back is really sad... "each passing season".

I think that bit about him giving the team a tongue lashing after being eliminated pretty much nails why the team reguarly seems to have motivational issues.

Without being privvy to locker room info, I think it's a classic case of a person who yells and screams so much, other people just stop listening when he opens his mouth, even when he has something useful to say.

Also, he has clear favorites over others - These days Roy and Stafford can do no wrong, and Vanek can do no right.

Anyone remember how Jason Woolley was treated, while Alexei Zhitnik always got a free pass?

These are pros. not pee-wee players, however - All it takes for a team to look completely flat, is one player on every line who doesn't feel like playing for the coach, on a given day.

I don't hate Matt Ellis, just his lack of bringing ANYTHING to the table. He can't skate, won't fight, doesn't hit, has zero offensive ability and adds no value to special teams. I'd rather have the fourth line made up of players like Kaleta (hits, fights, PK), McCormick (fights, hits), Tropp (hits, fights, decent hands), Turnbull (agitator, hits, fights), Szezchura (good hands, PP, PK). Good teams have players on the 4th line that contribute. Matt Ellis is just there. I've read about his work ethic and what great shape he is in, so make him their strength & conditioning coach, I just want him nowhere near the Sabres 4th line.

It's puzzling how Matt worked his way into the regular lineup at the expense of developing a raw kid like a Luke Adam. Nothing against him, he's dependable not to make many mistakes but as you say he isn't known for doing anything. Kind of like an Adam Mair without teeth. Over the years, Ruff has played his favorites...he will continue this maddening practice until someone at the top says he can't do so anymore. Sometimes I wondered if Leopold's fall wasn't on purpose. :angel:

Good thing you were smart enough not to be one of the many around here begging for him and saying he is exactly the kind of Player that Darcy needs to bring here last year :doh:

I doubt many thought his skills had deteriorated as much as they apparently have,

I doubt many thought his skills had deteriorated as much as they apparently have,

They really havent. He makes many more positive plays than negative ones. It's very easy to say he blew the season looking bad on one play, and then just state he's sucked all year.

He's been a pretty solid Defensive Dman all year and brought extra toughness to the back end.

If you honestly believe he was that terrible, what dman played well this year ?

So Roy and Vanek both suck but, at the same time, are so good that other teams would trade us quality players for them, possibly even a superstar if we "package" the two of them together. Does anyone else see the flaw in this logic?

Other than the over reaction to the post, I merely stated that Vanek, if packaged, could bring in a decent return.

Parise being a UFA really doesn't have anything to do with that.

As for the logic, the potential to replace Vanek with a viable option such as Parise should underscore to anyone who reads it that I'm of the opinion that's an upgrade.

I have never understood the hatred of Matt Ellis around here. He is not expected to be the teams superstar, he is a 4th liner/healthy scratch guy who comes in and plays hard to fill a lineup spot when needed. With a Salary Cap system, you need a few players like him, that are playing for the league minimum and fill a role when needed. Your not gonna fill a Roster with Crosbys....

I don't hate Matt Ellis...quite the opposite actually. I think he's a very valuable piece as a replacement-level call-up when someone goes down. But as I said, in a regular role, I'm not interested.

Great column by Jerry Sullivan, if only the two people that could initiate change would read it and take it to heart.

http://www.buffalone...ticle800685.ece

I will disagree. First, given the Sullivan admittedly knows jack about hockey discredits anything he wants to say. Second, he conveniently misses on the injury front. He uses the Flyers without Briere, JVR, and Pronger. I am sick of seeing Pronger's name listed. For all intents and purposes he was not on the Flyers this season. Furthermore, they lost Briere and JVR but they still had..... Giroux, Jagr, Hartnell, Simmonds, Read (Calder Trophy), Voracek. Let's see.. so you miss 2 guys and still have a full Top 6 line? Yea.. okay, use the Flyers injuries as an example. Sullivan is a windbag, like most columnists. I can't even stomach listening or reading his garbage much like Gleason who is a waste of bytes and ink as well.

So nobody else wants to join my "Let's grab Nick Foligno's rights from Ottawa" bandwagon? Come on, this could be fun! :D

Totally on that bandwagon.

Uh...He had exactly one good game this season, the last one which meant nothing. This might be the worst idea I've ever read on this message board.

The way Luke Adam is playing right now, I'm not sure he'd make a good ECHLer let alone a shot in the NHL. I've never seen a player lose it the way he has. I really hope they get him a shrink or life coach or a puppy. He can't play hockey at all right now.

I've been to two Amerks games in March. In the first, (3/9), he made a dumbass play screening the goalie and a great play weaving through the D to score a goal. He looked decent. In the second game against the Marlies just a few games ago he was a joke. He looks completely disinterested in playing the game of hockey. I think he has the skills if he's willing to apply himself but sulking in the AHL is not something I would say indicates his mental toughness in a positive way. I agree, right now he's a lost cause and he better find his passion for the game soon.

FWIW:

Darren Dreger@DarrenDreger

Guy Boucher and Kirk Muller expected to be name assts for Canada at Worlds. Head coach will likely be Lindy Ruff. Final decisions this week.

Mike Harrington@BNHarrington

Ruff told @BuffNewsVogl on Saturday he has made no decision on worlds. Today was players-only with media so no update from him today.

you want Boyes again?

Yes, and I don't want him wasted on the 4th line. Sign him to a reasonable contract and put him on the 2nd line. Boyes can play, and he's a good option in shootouts. He has been maligned ever since coming to Buffalo because he costs $4 mil, and Ruff has never found a line to fit him on. He's got 2nd line skill.

Boyes needs a chance, something Ruff never gave him. He's undervalued now because of how poorly he performed this past season. Jump on the chance to sign him cheap.

Adam is young. Tons of upside. I blame Ruff for his regression. Get Ruff out of the equation. Adam will be just fine.

But Lindy is too mean to coach worlds.

He's so mean he even hates toughness. He's a destroyer of worlds, so maybe he's the perfect choice.

It occurs to me that it's odd two of his former players agreed to join his coaching staff if he's such a grumpo. Patrick played for Ruff for 5-6 years and Teppo for parts of 3 or so. I don't know what to make of it.

He's so mean he even hates toughness. He's a destroyer of worlds, so maybe he's the perfect choice.

It occurs to me that it's odd two of his former players agreed to join his coaching staff if he's such a grumpo. Patrick played for Ruff for 5-6 years and Teppo for parts of 3 or so. I don't know what to make of it.

Obviously they're in cahoots. Lindy probably has to keep James and Teppo restrained so they don't triple up on the deriding.

Yes, and I don't want him wasted on the 4th line. Sign him to a reasonable contract and put him on the 2nd line. Boyes can play, and he's a good option in shootouts. He has been maligned ever since coming to Buffalo because he costs $4 mil, and Ruff has never found a line to fit him on. He's got 2nd line skill.

Boyes needs a chance, something Ruff never gave him. He's undervalued now because of how poorly he performed this past season. Jump on the chance to sign him cheap.

Adam is young. Tons of upside. I blame Ruff for his regression. Get Ruff out of the equation. Adam will be just fine.

You're referring to Brad Boyes, correct? I'm sorry I just need to be certain we are speaking of the same player. The one with 8 goals.

Obviously they're in cahoots. Lindy probably has to keep James and Teppo restrained so they don't triple up on the deriding.

I can picture the three of them dressed up like the droogs from A Clockwork Orange, cornering Vanek in the lockerroom after he passed up a chance to shoot the puck on an odd man rush:

"Welly, welly, welly, welly, welly, welly, well."

Oh come on, give me SOME credit. :lol:

I wasn't sure if it was a good thing or a bad thing!

Just trying to have a bit of fun now that the postseason wake has started.

Yeah. After reading that article, and watching the whole season, I am one of the last to say....BB-Bye Lindy. He really lost me this year (along with A LOT of HIS players. A few of the things I noticed during the year that bugged me:

1. When things started to go bad he started saying.....and then his players started saying something to the effect of..... "We've got to get in a groove and win a CHUNK of games"....and ...."we need to get on a run"....."Get a few wins in a row". I kept hearing that @1/3 - 1/2 way through the season. It bugged me a little when I first heard it. I know it is a cliche to say "We need to play one game at a time", but there is SOOOOOOOOOOOOO MUCH TRUTH to that!!!!!!!!! You play one game at a time, one period at a time. That is how all professional sports are played. I couldn't believe Lindy spoke like this. :wallbash:

2. Calling out players in the media incessantly. I don't mind doing it here and there and actually like some of that honesty. But when you do it all the time, it becomes a very WEAK tactic to run your team.

3. Which may have lead some to show signs of tuning out the coach. Which was the other thing that Lindy lost me on.....The incessant yelling at everyone. Hell, I got tired of it and he wasn't even yelling at me!! We all could see Lindy losing the team right in front of our eyes! :rolleyes: It was kinda sad, actually. Like he was succumbing to all the pressure.

4. Lindy is like a broken clock. The things he got right were not because they were ideas of his, it was more like an accident. Examples: Ennis THRIVING at center. Lindy never came up with this idea. He was forced to b/c of injuries (and not a lot of players can move to the center spot). How do we know it was an accident? When players came back Lindy moved him back to wing.

Same with Foligno. Would he ever have been called up if it were not for injuries. Yes, we traded Kassian and needed some added toughness, but it was dumb luck more than anything. There are countless examples of this. If you change the lines every 5 mins, you are bound to find something that works.

5. He kills the offensive talent of anyone that comes near him. He is like kryptonite to a goal scorer. See: (OK, the list would be to long.). You know.

I am actually starting to think it may be better to keep Darcy and lose Lindy. Anyhow, I have always liked Lindy, but I think his time has come. Way to motivate your players Lindy.....and put all the blame on them. Nice. :wallbash:

I don't really understand this type of reaction (not just from you, but everyone here who is saying something similar) to Ruff's practice. Would you rather him just treat it like a normal skate? Like nothing happened the night before and that nothing was different about that day? The same thing goes for people saying (in more words) that he's "mean" or "yells too much." I'd think that people would like a fiery coach that isn't pleased with losing and shows his displeasure. I could only imagine the reaction around here if Ruff was ho-hum after the loss in Philly.

I'll take his reaction any day over the alternative.

You're referring to Brad Boyes, correct? I'm sorry I just need to be certain we are speaking of the same player. The one with 8 goals.

Yep. The Brad Boyes who only had 8 goals while on a line with studs like Ellis, Kaleta and McCormick. The Brad Boyes who barely got powerplay time. The Brad Boyes who had two goals in the last game of the season, when he was on real line instead of a line of scrubs. That Brad Boyes.

We could probably get him for cheap, and on the right line the guy can produce.

Might remind you that Boyes was a +2, while Pominville was a captain-like MINUS 7, Vanek was a MINUS 6, and Roy was a MINUS 7.

I can picture the three of them dressed up like the droogs from A Clockwork Orange, cornering Vanek in the lockerroom after he passed up a chance to shoot the puck on an odd man rush:

"Welly, welly, welly, welly, welly, welly, well."

I laughed. Real hard. :w00t:

Archived