Kassian to Vancouver for Hodgson

shrader

considering how little I post how is this "typical"? You said you saw exactly the same thing. How is that taking it out of context? The guy makes a statement and you back it up with an example.

You've posted plenty for me to know it's not worth bothering. Sorry, I haven't figured out how to ignore or we wouldn;t have to do this. You win, OK? Now go away.

The style he had in juniors that got him so noticed and recognized as a force to be reckoned with. The guy that took a few bombs from Sestito before dropping him like a bad habit. I think he will be a more physical player in a year or two of being in the NHL.

True, he got recognized for being a good fighter and one who won't back down. And that's a plus to be sure. But he had no problem doing that in the pros, either.

The style he needs to develop is one of toughness at all times on the ice. He's good at using his body to keep the puck but not very good at winning puck battles to gain possession as of yet. He doesn't finish checks with any kind of regularity and is seldom one to initiate contact from what I've seen. He's got good hands and is a pretty good passer but is a liability in his own end much of the time. He's got great size but doesn't seem willing to bring it every night.

Foligno on the other hand, does. Why would Lindy try to coach it out of one player and not the other? True, Kassian's past problems with suspensions and the law in Ontario for a bar fight may make him a marked man in some respects but I doubt anyone has ever told him to tone it down. Just be smart about it.

Other than a few big hits in juniors and a couple of fights, his legend is mostly one of myth if you ask me. I just haven't seen this awesome physical presence on the ice on a conistent basis. Indeed, with his size, he is often conspicous in his absence.

GO SABRES!!!

Yup, and he is gonna LOVE the Western Conference. You know Lucic just breathed a sigh of relief, too.

That's laughable. Yeah, I'm sure Lucic lost sleep thinking about the prospects of playing against the mighty Kassian. Even if Kassian kicked his ass from one end of the rink to another (and I'd love to see that), it wouldn't make any difference in my opinion of Kassian's lack of overall physical play to date.

GO SABRES!!!

That's laughable. Yeah, I'm sure Lucic lost sleep thinking about the prospects of playing against the mighty Kassian. Even if Kassian kicked his ass from one end of the rink to another (and I'd love to see that), it wouldn't make any difference in my opinion of Kassian's lack of overall physical play to date.

GO SABRES!!!

You guys gotta relax. Lucic fights. All guys who fight notice a right hook like the one Kassian threw against the Philly goon and remember it when they play the Sabres again, especially when they know that the Sabres fans are just dying to see Lucic's nose bleed. I'm not saying Lucic was afraid to play against kassian, so quit the attitude. I merely state that Lucic, as well as everyone else who makes it a habit to drop the gloves, knows that Kassian's got the right cross down and better watch it next time they drop the gloves with him, is all.

NO that is an absolute joke. Lucic didnt even notice kassian.

Kassians play in juniors was with reckless abandon and going headhunting, you can not do that in the NHL because the first time you do that a whole team jumps you and stomps your ###### in. its what happened to kaleta when he tried doing it in the AHL 4 guys jumped him and hurt him to the point where he missed games. Kass will be a good NHLer and will learn to pick his spots but you will never see the style of play be like the juniors where he used to meet guys coming across the ice while he supermanned into their face.

He doesn't need to play reckless, he just needs to play tough which he didn't do in his time here. You don't think anyone noticed that this rookie TKO'd one of the toughest guys in the league in Sestito? I'm sure he is smart enough to know he can't play that same dirty style anymore, but he can play his physical style if he is allowed to.

Hmmm, no, I don't think I was joking. I'm pretty sure every NHLer who fights noticed that right hand in that Philly fight.

hahahah thats funny. this is how it would go

"hey looch you se that kassian kid with that punch against philly"

"who is kassian? who does he play for"

"he plays for buffalo, he knocked out tom sestito"

"who is tom sestito"

True, he got recognized for being a good fighter and one who won't back down. And that's a plus to be sure. But he had no problem doing that in the pros, either.

The style he needs to develop is one of toughness at all times on the ice. He's good at using his body to keep the puck but not very good at winning puck battles to gain possession as of yet. He doesn't finish checks with any kind of regularity and is seldom one to initiate contact from what I've seen. He's got good hands and is a pretty good passer but is a liability in his own end much of the time. He's got great size but doesn't seem willing to bring it every night.

Foligno on the other hand, does. Why would Lindy try to coach it out of one player and not the other? True, Kassian's past problems with suspensions and the law in Ontario for a bar fight may make him a marked man in some respects but I doubt anyone has ever told him to tone it down. Just be smart about it.

Other than a few big hits in juniors and a couple of fights, his legend is mostly one of myth if you ask me. I just haven't seen this awesome physical presence on the ice on a conistent basis. Indeed, with his size, he is often conspicous in his absence.

GO SABRES!!!

I was very disappointed with his lack of hitting as well. When you are labeled as a tough guy, big hits are usually a part of that label. He did well in the few fights he was in, but his overall lack of physicality and toughness was sad.

You guys gotta relax. Lucic fights. All guys who fight notice a right hook like the one Kassian threw against the Philly goon and remember it when they play the Sabres again, especially when they know that the Sabres fans are just dying to see Lucic's nose bleed. I'm not saying Lucic was afraid to play against kassian, so quit the attitude. I merely state that Lucic, as well as everyone else who makes it a habit to drop the gloves, knows that Kassian's got the right cross down and better watch it next time they drop the gloves with him, is all.

How else should we have intepreted, "Lucic just breathed a sigh of relief, too?"

Quit the attitude? WTF are you talking about?

GO SABRES!!!

It's hard to know where this will all go. We know Hodgson is producing now but when you're surrounded by really good players, you look better. There's a nerve problem in his leg that caused him to ...Then there's Kassian, who's big, mean and has a screw loose. Is he a future Lucic or Bertuzzi or will he be plagued with a string of problems because of his temper? We'll see. Both teams just traded potential.

hahahah thats funny. this is how it would go

"hey looch you se that kassian kid with that punch against philly"

"who is kassian? who does he play for"

"he plays for buffalo, he knocked out tom sestito"

"who is tom sestito"

I don't think you know much about fighting in hockey. These guys know about each other before they even make it to the NHL. They look for the next so-called tough guy that is going to challenge them. George Laraque even wrote about it when he was in Montreal. Sorry I don't have a link, but tough guys know about tough guys a lot more that you think.

I was very disappointed with his lack of hitting as well. When you are labeled as a tough guy, big hits are usually a part of that label. He did well in the few fights he was in, but his overall lack of physicality and toughness was sad.

I agree. And it's good to see another poster who understands the difference between being a great fighter who doesn't back down and the type of physical toughness that big, physical players have to have. Again, I use the Foligno example of someone who brings his size and toughness every night. Both big rookies, both pretty much the same age, with comparable pro experience and one brings it every night and the other one doesn't. Like Rayzor said on WGR, it's either inside you or not and he was also questioning whether Kassian possesses that kind of internal desire to bring his size to the rink every game. I hope he does eventually.

GO SABRES!!!

I agree. And it's good to see another poster who understands the difference between being a great fighter who doesn't back down and the type of physical toughness that big, physical players have to have. Again, I use the Foligno example of someone who brings his size and toughness every night. Both big rookies, both pretty much the same age, with comparable pro experience and one brings it every night and the other one doesn't. Like Rayzor said on WGR, it's either inside you or not and he was also questioning whether Kassian possesses that kind of internal desire to bring his size to the rink every game. I hope he does eventually.

GO SABRES!!!

As much as I hope Foligno succeeds where Kassian "failed", this is pure conjecture, too. Just like this very talk about kassian before he got his 35-game debut with Lindy's girls.

I don't think you know much about fighting in hockey. These guys know about each other before they even make it to the NHL. They look for the next so-called tough guy that is going to challenge them. George Laraque even wrote about it when he was in Montreal. Sorry I don't have a link, but tough guys know about tough guys a lot more that you think.

That might be true but Looch doesnt bat an eye at kassian he didnt sigh, he probably laughed. Bruins are more worried about the canucks than the sabres

you truly believe adam will be better than Ennis or Hodgson? Really?

I truly believe adam will be better than ennis not hodgson

After dinner, a nap and several hours to think about this. Some thoughts...

1. The Sabres needed scoring line centers...especially if they decide to trade Roy in the off-season.

2. Hodgson has low penalty minute and hit totals, but so does Brad Richards who everyone(including myself) was drueling over in the off-season. They key is for Darcy to find someone in the off-season who can play a two way physical game in the top 6(what we all wanted Stafford to be).

3. Kassian's lack of physical play both in Buffalo and in Rochester(from what has been reported) was disappointing to say the least. I have also read things previously that stated that Kassian wasn't even overly physical in the OHL(I am talking about body checking, not fighting).

4. Is Kassian a ticking time bomb or a kid who had a couple of ugly incidents in juniors?

5. The Sabres needed some top end skill in the forward ranks(especially center) and they got it.

6. I am not sure if Hodgson is more of a goal scorer than a playmaker, but his OHL totals were about 50/50 in terms of goals and assists. I am hoping he can become a playmaking center who can turn Vanek into a 50 goal scorer.

7. Kassian impressed me with his passing skills, and his ability to control the puck along the boards. Not much else, but the sample size is so small that it is hard to gauge what his upside is.

Bottom line...I love this trade. I hate to give up Kassian, but the Sabres were in such dire straights for a scoring center who can play NOW that they had to give up something decent in return. The top 6/7 that will finish the season(Vanek, Pominville, Roy, Ennis, Leino, Hodgson & Stafford), cannot be the same come October. It is just too soft. It needs to change! Darcy needs at least one hard nosed winger to add to the mix.

• Like (+1) 2

1. The Sabres needed scoring line centers...especially if they decide to trade Roy in the off-season.

2. Hodgson has low penalty minute and hit totals, but so does Brad Richards who everyone(including myself) was drueling over in the off-season. They key is for Darcy to find someone in the off-season who can play a two way physical game in the top 6(what we all wanted Stafford to be).

3. Kassian's lack of physical play both in Buffalo and in Rochester(from what has been reported) was disappointing to say the least. I have also read things previously that stated that Kassian wasn't even overly physical in the OHL(I am talking about body checking, not fighting).

4. Is Kassian a ticking time bomb or a kid who had a couple of ugly incidents in juniors?

5. The Sabres needed some top end skill in the forward ranks(especially center) and they got it.

6. I am not sure if Hodgson is more of a goal scorer than a playmaker, but his OHL totals were about 50/50 in terms of goals and assists. I am hoping he can become a playmaking center who can turn Vanek into a 50 goal scorer.

7. Kassian impressed me with his passing skills, and his ability to control the puck along the boards. Not much else, but the sample size is so small that it is hard to gauge what his upside is.

Bottom line...I love this trade. I hate to give up Kassian, but the Sabres were in such dire straights for a scoring center who can play NOW that they had to give up something decent in return. The top 6/7 that will finish the season(Vanek, Pominville, Roy, Ennis, Leino, Hodgson & Stafford), cannot be the same come October. It is just too soft. It needs to change! Darcy needs at least one hard nosed winger to add to the mix.

I agree with this assessment from top to bottom.

Still, you basically just stated quite clearly why Kassian was heads/tails better than Stafford. And he does have a nice right cross.

As much as I hope Foligno succeeds where Kassian "failed", this is pure conjecture, too. Just like this very talk about kassian before he got his 35-game debut with Lindy's girls.

What I find interesting is that Foligno really didn't start playing physical until Kassian went up Buffalo. Both guys were disappointments early in the season in Rochester regarding their toughness IMO. I'm glad to see Foligno has picked it up and has been consistent with his toughness the second half of the year. I want to see this new guy Gongalsky that was just signed by Rochester make an impression. He is one nasty dude to play against.