Kassian to Vancouver for Hodgson

shrader

Wasn't the "bust" tag mostly due to the back problems that seem to be resolved now?

Not really, he struggled a lot in the AHL last year and had fans questioning if he'd ever be a top 2 center. Now a lot of fans thought he was their future captain, and at worst, was going to be a go-to scorer as Sedin ages.

I also wanted to thank whoever came up with the phrase "The Concept of Zack Kassian". I'm totally stealing that line for myself and using it in any and all conversations I'm having about this deal. :thumbsup:

So have I, lol. Most articulate assessment by far.

Edited by TheMatrix31

Bucky Gleason's column this morning asks this question:

‘And there’s this simple question: Whom would you trust more to make the proper evaluation at this stage, Canucks GM Mike Gillis or Regier?’

It's similar to some comments here. There's this implication that somehow the Canucks' office is more competent than the Sabres' office, and I doubt that perception is present too far outside of the 716 and 585 area codes. After all, it isn't that long ago that the Sabres were contenders and the Canucks were struggling.

Here's my counter: Couldn't they both be right? And couldn't they both be wrong? A trade should be a win-win, after all; it is designed to help both teams. Does a GM have to "win" a trade by sticking the other guy with some loser in order for the trade to be good? I don't think so. We've seen some trades where the Sabs have stuck it to the other team, to be sure, but we've also seen some even ones that have worked out well (the LaFontaine deal and even the Mogilny deal come to mind).

Edited by Eleven

As much as I like yesterday's deals, it was Regier's doing that landed us in this mess. D&B have been gone for 5 years, and the center position has been a mess since the day they left....and this includes thinking Leino was the answer when he really wanted no part of the center position, and hanging on to Connolly and Roy year after year waiting for them to make the jump to the next level.

Therefore, Regier should still be fired!

Bucky Gleason's column this morning asks this question:

‘And there’s this simple question: Whom would you trust more to make the proper evaluation at this stage, Canucks GM Mike Gillis or Regier?’

It's similar to some comments here. There's this implication that somehow the Canucks' office is more competent than the Sabres' office, and I doubt that perception is present too far outside of the 716 and 585 area codes. After all, it isn't that long ago that the Sabres were contenders and the Canucks were struggling.

Here's my counter: Couldn't they both be right? And couldn't they both be wrong? A trade should be a win-win, after all; it is designed to help both teams. Does a GM have to "win" a trade by sticking the other guy with some loser in order for the trade to be good? I don't think so. We've seen some trades where the Sabs have stuck it to the other team, to be sure, but we've also seen some even ones that have worked out well (the LaFontaine deal and even the Mogilny deal come to mind).

I agree with the point you are making generally but I can relate to and appreciate a level of skepticism regarding this front office's competency given the last 15 years. Darcy did afterall obtain most of his GM experience under the direct tutelage of *the executive who's name I shall not mention*.

Umm...I think last night I said the Sabres best chance to get a real center was from Vancouver????

You are sort of like Matt Ellis hating on Derek Roy.

What did they do? They traded away their best power forward prospect in over a decade for an aveaged sized, non-physical center.

The Gaustad trade was fine. Why not Roy, Leopold, Stafford?

Your core is still 95% in tact

This team is actually smaller and less tough than 24 hours ago

This team is still a longshot and one of 8 teams chasing the very last playoff spot

You are a funny guy Korab. You should go hang out on the PPP Bills board, you'd fit in well.

If it is so easy finding a power forward in this league......name the last Sabre who could score 15 goals....and WASN'T a complete Puss?

What's the matter - don't like being reminded of your own words? You are becoming a caricature of yourself. It's laughable - luckily you have your entourage and a constant stream of new posters who don't know any better than to take you seriously.

The PPP board? Shall I post the link to your epic meltdowns over there for all the new people?

May you live in quiet times.

• Like (+1) 1

As much as I like yesterday's deals, it was Regier's doing that landed us in this mess. D&B have been gone for 5 years, and the center position has been a mess since the day they left....and this includes thinking Leino was the answer when he really wanted no part of the center position, and hanging on to Connolly and Roy year after year waiting for them to make the jump to the next level.

Therefore, Regier should still be fired!

I hear ya but we do see a different DR now than we did back then under OSP.

I also wanted to thank whoever came up with the phrase "The Concept of Zack Kassian". I'm totally stealing that line for myself and using it in any and all conversations I'm having about this deal. :thumbsup:
I've been using, "The Legend of Zack Kassian"
Been used everywhere else too. Concept has a nice ring to it and fits the situation well.

It was used here and the OP edited it out... haha

http://forums.sabres...post__p__366866

that was my post, but i modified raziel's content so that it suited my take. (see below.)

i can't (or won't) take any particular credit for the phrase (although i appreciate the shout-out) -- the idea has been out there in the zeitgeist for a while now.

MAG trade I'm fine with. I like the look of Hodgson and we desperately needed a center. Best under the circumstances. Kassian will be sorely missed but it should be worth it.

RazielSabre, on 27 February 2012 - 01:51 PM, said:

The abstract concept of Kassian will be sorely missed but it should be worth it.

that's where i am with kassian.

anyway, it's plato and the cave, all over.

Edited by That Aud Smell
  • Like (+1) 1

Not really, he struggled a lot in the AHL last year and had fans questioning if he'd ever be a top 2 center. Now a lot of fans thought he was their future captain, and at worst, was going to be a go-to scorer as Sedin ages.

kind of like what kassian has gone through this year, his first year. but you had already written off kassian after 25 games as not "being the answer to lucic". whatever

This board confuses me this morning... There is a lot of talk about a Gerbe - Hodgson - Kaleta line. We did not trade Kassian to dump Hodgson (3rd in goals on our team now) on the 3rd line from whence we found him. Hodgson was brought in with the intentions of him immediately starting to become our #1 center. Regier would not have made this move otherwise. I bet Hodgson shoots straight up to the Van-Pommers line where if my hunch is right he will find good chemistry.

1 thing I have noticed about watching Hodgson is that he seems to constantly drift into open ice and makes sure he is available. With Vanek's scoring touch and Pommers passing skills I think it should work well. Not to mention Hodgson has had some PP experience and his slapper looks mean. The only thing I worry about now is that ennis slides back outside and we get Ennis - Hodgson - Stafford line... Ennis at center is too good to do that.

A side note and a concern on Hodgson is that I have read some things both in the media and from fans that say he is not the fastest skater in the world. Other than that everyone has said good things. Considering Kassian was not very fast I don't think at this moment in time we can consider this to be a problem.

Hodgson was brought in with the intentions of him immediately starting to become our #1 center. Regier would not have made this move otherwise. I bet Hodgson shoots straight up to the Van-Pommers line where if my hunch is right he will find good chemistry.

Nobody is saying he was brought in here to become a #1 center but you. Why don't you let it play out for a season or two before crowning him with the title of #1 center.

Nobody is saying he was brought in here to become a #1 center but you. Why don't you let it play out for a season or two before crowning him with the title of #1 center.

I have. This kid is our #1 center ... from the day he shows up.

That could change depending on what happens this summer.

Edited by Sabres Fan In NS

I am not crowing him that but this is DARCY REGIER. You honestly think he would have pulled the trigger on this if that was not the end goal? Hodgson was brought in by Regier to become our #1 center. If that does not work out then Darcy failed but it was his intention.

Look at the facts. We have no centers in the organization. We have no #1 center and everyone knows it. We really need a decent sized pivot who can score and set up our top guys. Kassian is all big an bad and something this team has missed. So to acquire the first thing he had to move the second thing.

idc if people think this is true or not but Hodgson is being brought in to become our #1. If he lives up to that than thank god. If not... we are back to square 1. That being said he will not get buried on the 3rd line with Gerbe and Boyes IMHO

D&B have been gone for 5 years. It takes this long to solve the problem?

fair deuce.

also in play: the *meh* of connolly, the breakdown nervoso of hecht, and the stalled development of the luker.

oh, and a failure to plan properly by darcy. that's in there as well, as you say.

just went and looked at our organizational depth chart at center per cap geek (which is organized by cap #):

Leino, Ville

Roy, Derek

Hecht, Jochen

Hodgson, Cody

McCormick, Cody

Ellis, Matt

Adam, Luke

Sundher, Kevin

Szydlowski, Shawn

Szczechura, Paul

Turnbull, Travis

you probably will slot catenacci in there, once he's under contract. but, yeah -- not a murderer's row by any stretch.

I posted it right after the trade but there were several posts at that time. His last season in the OHL with Brampton:

53 GP: 43G 49A 92PTS

92 points in 53 games! This is not the QMJHL we're talking about, it's the OHL. He led Team Canada with 16 points (5 goals, 11 assists) during the 2009 WJC en route to a gold medal.

I admit that I have not seen much of this kid live but the stats, combined with hearing so many Nucks fans upset with this deal make me think we may have just found our top line centre for years to come. You have to give up to get and I think we're going to be looking back on this in 2+ years thinking it was a great deal!

I propose that we never adopt the 'CoHo' moniker I saw on posted link, that's stupid. Maybe CoHo gets subbed to Hodgenstein like Pominville.

That might confuse me as well because it makes me think of a dead mall out in the Albany area called "Cohoes Commons".