Kassian to Vancouver for Hodgson

shrader

I think losing Kassian is going to sting a little bit more in the morning when the excitement of deadline day wears off. Don't get me wrong, I still think it's a great trade for the Sabres (both teams, really), but I've been using my excitement about Hodgson to shelter myself from regrets of trading Kassian -- just two months ago I was ready to order his jersey. I had never seen a force like him holding the puck along the wall and in the corners, and was very hopeful for his development. It's definitely going to hit me that this guy is not going to be a part of our organization anymore.

That said, the center position was our biggest need and Darcy addressed it. It cost us a good player, but we're getting a good player back. A good old fashioned hockey deal that makes sense. And the two first round picks... the sky is the limit with them. As I mentioned in my blog post, the Sabres have all sorts of options to consider come draft day. If New Jersey doesn't think they can re-sign Parise, would they consider trading his rights for a first round pick at the draft? Or a first + second? Buffalo has that option. Or, perhaps a team like Edmonton, who will have a Top 5 pick but is probably more interested in depth/experienced players to help supplement Hall, Eberle, and Nuge -- maybe Roy + the late first rounder is enough to move up into #5 and draft a new center. Or two first rounders, Roy and Leo for Rick Nash? Maybe the Nash idea is a stretch, but the point remains, these two picks are incredibly valuable trading pieces in future deals. Regier doesn't have to use both of them himself.

• Like (+1) 1

I live out in Portland and have a lot of friends that are vancouver fans...real hockey fans too. they are furious right now. my one friend says Hodgson is clutch and most likely will be our captain some day. he has no clue how they could have moved him. i personally think that kassian and mag will do really well in vancouver and that they really are not getting shafted, and it is great that we are getting what we need. a real center.

then reading on the comments that someone had posted earlier...he was compared to RNH.

i am all about kassian, but this kid sounds legit. congrats darcy on doing an excellent job today ( including the goose trade ).

this makes going into the FA and the draft very exciting. we really have options. now imagine we get parise!!!!

very happy sabres fan.

go sabres!

now fail for nail!

The bolded statements are contradictory. Winning attracts free agents.

I will bet 50$ that Kassian does not break anyones bones on Saturday... Mike Weber might break him in 2 if he tries though.

I gotta get me a pair of whatever glasses you wear. I have not seen what you've seen in Weber's fights.

• Like (+1) 1

I have this great photo of Kass's empty locker from Friday night. (All players' lockers were empty save for the odd skate here or helmet there.) It may be the last Kassian locker photo taken at the F'n C. I have no idea how to upload it here. Dammit.

I gotta get me a pair of whatever glasses you wear. I have not seen what you've seen in Weber's fights.

lol we all know I have a mild love affair with Weber... Kids got good heart and I love how he plays. You are probably right but I think he could hold his own against kass.

I find that opposing fan forums are pretty good indicators of what kind of player you are getting. What is remarkable here is that the comments about Hodgson are near universally positive. They are praising everything from his talent level to his offseason work ethic. I've never seen a signing/trade by us that had such universal positives from the fans that are losing him.

On the contrary, the Vancouver fans have noted the rather mixed reaction about Kassian coming from Buffalo forums.

lol we all know I have a mild love affair with Weber... Kids got good heart and I love how he plays. You are probably right but I think he could hold his own against kass.

Nothing mild about it. And you are proof that love is blind. :)

Actually, it was his left :)

You guys gotta relax. Lucic fights. All guys who fight notice a right hook like the one Kassian threw against the Philly goon and remember it when they play the Sabres again, especially when they know that the Sabres fans are just dying to see Lucic's nose bleed. I'm not saying Lucic was afraid to play against kassian, so quit the attitude. I merely state that Lucic, as well as everyone else who makes it a habit to drop the gloves, knows that Kassian's got the right cross down and better watch it next time they drop the gloves with him, is all.

CoHo would be utterly stupid, considering how his last name is pronounced.

Ever been to SoHo? (The real one, not the bar on Chippewa.) It's South of Houston (pronounced "HOWston") street. Neither word...

EDIT: The "real one" in NYC, not the "real real one" in London.

Edited by Eleven

Should be an interesting game saturday night.

And you could have gone!!!!

Really glad we're still going.

Sabres win this trade. But Kassian will make sure liberties aren't taken and that could be enuf for the nucks to win it all. They were a game away last year and their team is much better this year.