Kassian to Vancouver for Hodgson

shrader

I doubt that.

This is a prototypical Sabres type player. Some offensive ability, some size that he doesn't use. He a hybrid of Roy and Stafford, two players that fans would love to drive to the airport.

This has the potential of being another Leino type move. You're taking a kid that looked good surrounded by Vancouver's talent, now he is playing with a roster full of limited offensive ability.

I am more impressed by getting a first rounder for Gaustad. This move, I'd rather have Kassian.

Still had all that anticipatory bile to share, huh? Just teasing. It will be interesting to see if Hodgson pans out. I, personally, like the move.

Edited by qwksndmonster

I doubt that.

This is a prototypical Sabres type player. Some offensive ability, some size that he doesn't use. He a hybrid of Roy and Stafford, two players that fans would love to drive to the airport.

This has the potential of being another Leino type move. You're taking a kid that looked good surrounded by Vancouver's talent, now he is playing with a roster full of limited offensive ability.

I am more impressed by getting a first rounder for Gaustad. This move, I'd rather have Kassian.

If you're talking in terms of physical ability then he's even better than I thought.

But since you're not, I'd like to know HTF you have ANY friggin' idea as to what kind of heart this kid has? Please bless us all with your 2008 NHL draft scouting reports.

If the kid proves he's as heartless as Roy and Stafford then by all means please come back and bask in your 'I told you so, 20/20 hindsight' genius.

Has to be a new record for finding the cloud in the silver lining. Did Darcy or Lindy run over your dog? Several times?

GO SABRES!!!

• Like (+1) 3

Many players in the NHL have at one point been "borderline elite prospects."

From the discussions I've been reading on Vancouver messageboards/comments in articles, they are extremely upset to let go of this kid. A fan base will known their young guys the best so that is a good sign.

I don't see how. Kassian had top 6 potential. Foligno has bottom six potential....hopefully 3rd line. That said, I am letting this trade settle with me until this evening

Agreed with expectations/raw talent but Foligno is bringing the physical game consistently and putting up points - 14g 20a in 54 games. In October/November he looked like a bust (early I know). Lately he's leading the team.

I can't say anything bad about Hodgson, don't know enough about him, what I don't like is this team getting rid of any toughness which it seriously lacks. The one reason I'm not thrilled with this trade (yet) is Lindy Ruff, I have no confidence that Lindy can develop this kid. Is Lindy going to put Hodgson between Vanek and Pommers and remove Roy ? I doubt it, the best case I see happening for Hodgson (with Lindy here) is Centering the 2nd line, which will in turn bump Ennis down to the 3rd line which will stifle him. With Lindy Ruff and Derek Roy remaining on this team, I have a hard time getting excited about any future that involves winning the Stanley Cup. Maybe next year we'll at least make the playoffs.

From the discussions I've been reading on Vancouver messageboards/comments in articles, they are extremely upset to let go of this kid. A fan base will known their young guys the best so that is a good sign.

i have a friend who was born in the mid-60s and is a nutter for the canucks. he's very ambivalent about the move. he said that hodgson has been playing behind sedin and kesler, but that the fans loved him and wanted to see more of him, somehow (nice problem to have, there). he's also a little less than jazzed about getting kassian in return, since the word that he head heard on the young man is that he's been unable to translate his infamous freight train game to the professional ranks (i.e., to the AHL, let alone the NHL).

Edited by That Aud Smell

Totally agree with Rob's point there. (I'm listening too.) Guys like Kaleta and Tropp showed up and started hitting immediately. Kassian really didn't as a Sabre or as an Amerk. He still could (we saw flashes) but maybe he's more legend than real deal. Great trade if that turns out to be the case.

Wonder if they're still selling BADASSIAN shirts at the Walden Galleria.

I've also been appreciating the posts from Inkman and others that have been following Kassian in Rochester. He wasn't playing up to his size and toughness down there as well. I'm glad that he won't back down in a fight. That's a plus. But mucking it up in the corners, winning puck battles and routinely finishing checks is a far better indicator of toughness. His reputation was built largely on a couple of incidents in juniors.

I wish the kid well but he's no where near as developed at Hodgson and doesn't fill as critical a position for our team.

GO SABRES!!!

What talent was Hodgson playing with in Vancouver? Dude was on the ice like 12, 13 min a game. Hardly overexposure.

He played 1:50 per game on a very good power-play.

The kid is not void of talent, you have to weigh it against what a Kassian can bring. If both players maximized their 'potential", Kassian would be the more prized prospect.

The kid is not void of talent, you have to weigh it against what a Kassian can bring. If both players maximized their 'potential", Kassian would be the more prized prospect.

More prized than a #1 center? <_<

PTR

Edited by PromoTheRobot

You can't convince me that he got "lucky" on that one or on Grosek for Dumont & Gilmour. Or on Warrener for Drury, even.

There are a lot of good deals that he made before Quinn slapped the cuffs on, and I'm not convinced with this one yet.

Not sure what this means?

I propose that we never adopt the 'CoHo' moniker I saw on posted link, that's stupid. Maybe CoHo gets subbed to Hodgenstein like Pominville.

Definitely not.

I can't say anything bad about Hodgson, don't know enough about him, what I don't like is this team getting rid of any toughness which it seriously lacks. The one reason I'm not thrilled with this trade (yet) is Lindy Ruff, I have no confidence that Lindy can develop this kid. Is Lindy going to put Hodgson between Vanek and Pommers and remove Roy ? I doubt it, the best case I see happening for Hodgson (with Lindy here) is Centering the 2nd line, which will in turn bump Ennis down to the 3rd line which will stifle him. With Lindy Ruff and Derek Roy remaining on this team, I have a hard time getting excited about any future that involves winning the Stanley Cup. Maybe next year we'll at least make the playoffs.

I think Hodgson will be given his shot with Vanek almost immediately. There is no question what the goal is with this move. He was brought in to be an eventual number one center. He will be given that shot.

This would be fun to watch, but I'm firmly against taking Ennis out of the middle at the moment. Given how much Lindy juggles the lines, I'm sure we'll seen Hodgson between Ennis and Gerbe at some point. ;)

I completely agree with this. Ennis has been our best player I believe. Getting back on Defense, setting up players to score goals. He has looked so much better at center then at wing. IMHO

Agreed with expectations/raw talent but Foligno is bringing the physical game consistently and putting up points - 14g 20a in 54 games. In October/November he looked like a bust (early I know). Lately he's leading the team.

Thanks for the report. I'm liking Foligno's trajectory. He'll have more room on the big squad now that Kassian is gone.

GO SABRES!!!

It depends on what kind of size we pick up in the offseason.

I'll say again: I think that Kassian will pick up his physical game next season because he's still adjusting to the NHL this season. He can use his body incredibly well to shield the puck and will most likely improve as time goes on.