Things that are AWESOME...

SDS

Every once in awhile we will load up my truck with a few extra large coolers and make a day trip from Raleigh to Fredricksburg, VA just to stock up at Wegmans. I don't know why Wegmans hasn't made the move into NC as they would clean up down here. Harris Teeter grocery stores are ok, but still no Wegmans.

Every once in awhile we will load up my truck with a few extra large coolers and make a day trip from Raleigh to Fredricksburg, VA just to stock up at Wegmans. I don't know why Wegmans hasn't made the move into NC as they would clean up down here. Harris Teeter grocery stores are ok, but still no Wegmans.

It's coming, just takes time. Wegmans generally likes to expand slowly and ensure their new stores have a foothold long-term before going further. I'd expect them to be in NC within the decade.

Just got a Chromebook as an early Father's Day present. It's pretty awesome so far.

Keep us in the loop, those kinda intrigue me. Although I will admit it's more about the hardware than the software for me, I'd probably look at putting something else on it for myself because I'm a giant geek about these things.

Keep us in the loop, those kinda intrigue me. Although I will admit it's more about the hardware than the software for me, I'd probably look at putting something else on it for myself because I'm a giant geek about these things.

I am not a tablet guy. I just can't get used to the touchscreen keyboards. So this really replaces what would be my tablet, rather than replacing my computer. I'm an engineer, and I need a ridiculously powerful machine to do my work. This makes that laptop too heavy to haul around unless absolutely necessary. The Chromebook is a nice compromise for me. Power like a tablet in laptop form. Also, I'm an android guy, so this sync's nicely with my phone. I'll make an update in a couple weeks once i figure out the ins and outs of my new toy.

The Supreme Court got this one right:

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/06/14/us/supreme-court-rules-human-genes-may-not-be-patented.html

Isolated human genes may not be patented, the Supreme Court ruled unanimously on Thursday. The case concerned patents held by Myriad Genetics, a Utah company, on genes that correlate with increased risk of hereditary breast and ovarian cancer.

The patents were challenged by scientists and doctors who said their research and ability to help patients had been frustrated. The particular genes at issue received public attention after the actress Angelina Jolie revealed in May that she had had a preventive double mastectomy after learning that she had inherited a faulty copy of a gene that put her at high risk for breast cancer.

The price of the test, often more than $3,000, was partly a product of Myriad’s patent, putting it out of reach for some women.

It's been forever since I looked at a post on this board. Too bad for me.

But I'm engaged. And that's awesome. And she's awesome.

No Schlitz! Cool. Congratulations! :beer:

Congratulations. Mine is less than 2 months away now, so it's time to really sit down and hammer out those final details.

And here's something I saw this morning that was bizarrely awesome. Driving into work, I noticed a guy wearing some sort of colonial costume riding a motorcycle. It's not as funny as the guy I saw about a month ago fixing a flat tire while wearing a Buzz Lightyear mascot costume, but it was still very funny.

Good luck to you too. :beer:

Congrats! I'm getting married in two weeks.

And you as well. Congrats! :beer:

And to any I've missed. Cheers! :beer:

I just found "Wait, wait.... don't tell me" on my smart TV.

Today may become a total waste.

Out walking, that on my iPod… my happy place.

How's it on your TV? I think they did a TV special a few years ago, but it kind of sucked. It has to be heard.

Out walking, that on my iPod… my happy place.

How's it on your TV? I think they did a TV special a few years ago, but it kind of sucked. It has to be heard.

The latest software update for the tv included an npr app. It streams the radio broadcast. No video. Just the npr logo.

It has car talk too so I am going to be useless until I am caught up.

The latest software update for the tv included an npr app. It streams the radio broadcast. No video. Just the npr logo.

It has car talk too so I am going to be useless until I am caught up.

We both have a lot of work to do. It's been on since 98. I just discovered it myself two years ago. It's extremely addictive. I've always liked Paula Poundstone. Mo Rocca's really good in this as well.

We both have a lot of work to do. It's been on since 98. I just discovered it myself two years ago. It's extremely addictive. I've always liked Paula Poundstone. Mo Rocca's really good in this as well.

I used to listen to it religiously on Saturday mornings. It is broadcast out of Buffalo (UB) and reception is really, really iffy out here. Since we've moved out into no man's land I only get it when we are in the car on Saturday mornings. The app has the last year available. Looks like my Saturday morning routine is restored.

LOfreakingL

They've been out for quite a few years now. They have wi-fi capability and pre-loaded apps for things like netflix, hulu, etc.

I had no idea. I haven't shopped for a tv in my life. I acquire them :unsure:

I'll have to look into this since my current apartment doesn't permit me to have my computer within hdmi cable range of the tv. We need a new one anyway.

I had no idea. I haven't shopped for a tv in my life. I acquire them :unsure:

I'll have to look into this since my current apartment doesn't permit me to have my computer within hdmi cable range of the tv. We need a new one anyway.

A perfectly equivalent alternative is a blue ray player with Wi-fi capabilty. All of the current blue ray players with wi-fi have a great selection of apps that are equivalent to a smart TV. Netfilix, Hulu, Qello. etc. Great options for non-cable/satellite TV viewing.

Of course, an XBox360 does about the same.....

edit- wifi isn't the key. Internet access is the key. Blue Ray with a CAT9 plug is the same functiuonality as one with Wifi, but you need access to a network cable.

Edited by weave