Things that are AWESOME...

SDS

I know this is going to sound petty, but it is what it is.

I start a new gig on Tuesday. The reason I'm starting a new gig is because this past gig wasn't really a "gig" at all. It was paycheck stealing, and it was horrendously boring. I know some people will balk at the chance to sit around and surf all day *and* collect a paycheck, but that's not me. I hated going in and staring at my monitor all day, trying to pretend to be busy, and not at all being productive. I asked upper management for direction, what my roles and responsibilities should be, and was met with dead silence. Went to HR to push the issue and get some answers, and again, brushed off and ignored for over 2 months. Finally having enough of it, I threw my resume out on indeed.com and immediately got some hits. After a couple of interviews with one company, we came to a salary agreement and I accepted their offer.

But that's not the awesome part ...

The awesome part was the email I sent to my department PM and his deputy PM. In short, it basically said that they need to figure out what the actual roles and responsibilities should be for that particular position. I was told when I was hired that it was a "work in progress," but that it would definitely be hammered out in the very near short-term. It never was, and I got sick of not having anything to do ... and I let them know that it is squarely upon their shoulders that I'm moving on.

Being that this is a government contract, they now lose out on money for not having a body in a chair. Their assumption was that I would be happy to sit around and not work. Being that they're all ex-military, that shocked the hell out of me.

Anyway, I was happy to send that email. I even watered it down significantly over the course of 8 or 9 edits. It's easy to write hastily and "vent," but that tends to burn bridges, which I'm not a fan of doing. My email was direct, but it wasn't rude or vindictive. It explained the real reason why I was walking away (not the "my wife decided to stay home and home-school our girls" reason that I was floating to most people who asked), and I laid the reasons directly at their complete lack of regard for me as someone who wanted nothing more than to be productive.

Anyway, I'll hit the ground running with the new gig. We laid out a 4-5 year game plan for their immediate documentation needs, and I'll be jumping right into the deep end. That's perfectly fine by me. I prefer working my butt off to sitting around doing nothing.

Puttin' on a clean pair of socks.

Ya know, sometimes when I go camping, and I've been wearing Tevas or flip-flops all day, and then it starts to chill down in the evening and I slip on a clean pair of socks and then the hiking boots,… it's like wearing two hugs.

These two guys are awesome:

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/11/02/dog-rescue-planes_n_6070620.html?utm_hp_ref=good-news

PAART got started a decade ago after the founders got their pilots' licenses, then promptly got bored.

"I mean, how many times are you just going to fly around the city?" Childs said to Lancaster Online. "We needed a mission."

They found one.

For a few years, the pair simply moved animals when they happened to find out a rescue group needed help. Before long, rescue groups were coming to them, and the guys -- who are entrepreneurs for their day jobs and do this work as volunteers -- got busy.

I'm aware it will probably never happen outside of a last minute goalie substitution as we've seen before, but it's fun to dream. Knight and Schleper talking about skating in the NHL with the boys

http://www.iihf.com/home-of-hockey/news/news-singleview/?tx_ttnews%5Btt_news%5D=9185&cHash=6c964373624309674da2a83700736b9a

A very close long time friend has been in the hospital for 3 weeks now. Had some routine surgery done, but had some pretty serious complications. This time last week things were looking rather bleak. Some of his systems were shutting down and they had to go in 2 more times to try and sort things out. We were fearing the worst. But, he's made a ton of progress in the last week, and he was told today that there is a chance he may go home tomorrow. He will still need at least one follow up surgery, but the docs have nothing but confidence that things will go smoothly.

Relief isn't a strong enough word to describe our feelings right now.

A very close long time friend has been in the hospital for 3 weeks now. Had some routine surgery done, but had some pretty serious complications. This time last week things were looking rather bleak. Some of his systems were shutting down and they had to go in 2 more times to try and sort things out. We were fearing the worst. But, he's made a ton of progress in the last week, and he was told today that there is a chance he may go home tomorrow. He will still need at least one follow up surgery, but the docs have nothing but confidence that things will go smoothly.

Relief isn't a strong enough word to describe our feelings right now.

Great news, man.