Things that are AWESOME...

SDS

The conversation between Craig Ferguson and Jimmy Kimmel on Ferguson's show. It was pretty much a summing up of the past 7 years on this board. Cool dudes.

This sounds like something I need to check out. I've gotten old and can't stay awake for Ferguson's show anymore... Even knowing that he's almost done

This sounds like something I need to check out. I've gotten old and can't stay awake for Ferguson's show anymore... Even knowing that he's almost done

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W6MMDM5fBU0

Comes on between 18 and 19 minute mark. Pretty much an 8 minute psych session on TSC and Kittens....

This is awesome.

But it is not for everyone. (For starters, it is humorously ghoulish -- with some super low-fi gore-o-rama effects.)

It is also, by internet standards, super long (~11 minutes).

I've never dropped acid and then heard God speak to me. But, by the end of this video, I think that's how I must have felt.

In order to get the pay-off, you hafta stick with it.

I've since discovered several other absolute gems from this same creative group -- my favorite being The Broomshakalaka.

Edited by That Aud Smell

This is awesome.

But it is not for everyone. (For starters, it is humorously ghoulish -- with some super low-fi gore-o-rama effects.)

It is also, by internet standards, super long (~11 minutes).

I've never dropped acid and then heard God speak to me. But, by the end of this video, I think that's how I must have felt.

In order to get the pay-off, you hafta stick with it.

I've since discovered several other absolute gems from this same creative group -- my favorite being The Broomshakalaka.

That's. What. She. Said.

Slight exaggeration, but get what you're saying. There was almost no way to keep the quality up to Ice Truck & Trinity levels for the full run.

This is just not true. If I'm not mistaken, the start of the dumb stuff coincided pretty directly with a change in showrunners. Yup! Clyde Phillips left the show after season 4 to spend more time with his family.

And if there's no way to keep the quality up, end the show.

Edited by qwksndmonster

So Bernie Parent was on Howard Stern the other day to talk about his life long struggle with man boobs and the non-surgical procedure that cured him. Howard knows next to nothing about hockey and can't properly pronounce Parent, but still a pretty good interview.

Wait, lifelong? He had moobs in the final against the Sabres? Is that what was stopping the puck? He was probably on estrogen. Somebody get Clarence Campbell on the blower.

Yet another reason to get your flu shot!

http://www.biotechniques.com/news/biotechniquesNews/biotechniques-354861.html#.VGOB_TTF-E5

Influenza vaccinations potentially lend cardiovascular protection to patients,reducing heart attack risk by up to 50%. Now, writing in the journal Vaccine, researchers reveal the molecular mechanism for this effect and suggest how it might be harnessed for a vaccine against cardiovascular disease (CVD).

“We know that the cardio-protective effects of flu vaccines can be prolonged beyond the flu season, but the molecular mechanism underlying this phenomenon remained unknown,” said Dr. Veljko Veljkovic, who led the study at the Centre for Multidisciplinary Research, Vinča Institute of Nuclear Sciences, University of Belgrade. “This discovery shows that development of a vaccine against cardiovascular diseases is possible, and it also shows the possible direction that could lead to its development.”

Interesting. So did they control for the idea that people who get flu shots might be more concerned about their health, and thus might be more likely to eat healthy, exercise, not smoke, etc.?

I don't believe so, but since they were doing a meta-analysis of several large studies conducted across multiple countries, it seems less likely to be a confounder. The people enrolled in those studies had pre-existing cardiovascular disease, so one could argue many of them were unhealthy to begin with. The full paper is here for anyone interested (the Table gives more details on the studies used for meta-analysis): http://jama.jamanetwork.com/article.aspx?articleid=1758749

I think I mentioned in in here before that on certain mornings there are 10-15 hawks around a water tower a mile from my house. They're either circling in the area around it or they're perched on top. Well this morning there had to be around 50 of them. It was one hell of a sight. It was what I would picture the sky to look like after a bloody battle. I really need to find out exactly what kind of birds these are and what it is they are going after in the mornings.

I think I mentioned in in here before that on certain mornings there are 10-15 hawks around a water tower a mile from my house. They're either circling in the area around it or they're perched on top. Well this morning there had to be around 50 of them. It was one hell of a sight. It was what I would picture the sky to look like after a bloody battle. I really need to find out exactly what kind of birds these are and what it is they are going after in the mornings.

Sounds more like vultures to me. They often gather in groups, and this time of year they are migrating and are often seen in very large groups.

Like weave said it sounds like turkey vultures. I see large groups roosting on water towers and other structures near my house too. A few weeks ago I saw 15-20 of them tearing apart a deer carcass along the side of the road.

Of course we also could be seeing the uptick in the local vulture population due to the CHL team that plays here too.

Sounds more like vultures to me. They often gather in groups, and this time of year they are migrating and are often seen in very large groups.

I think movies have hurt my perception of those birds. I didn't realize they were as widespread as they actually are. I've been doing a bit of googling and it looks like they're probably turkey vultures. I'll never be close enough to see their heads and know for sure. I wonder where the road kill was this morning. I didn't drive past anything.