Things that are AWESOME...

SDS

In the original broadcast of the series, most of the songs were the real thing by the original bands. (Yes, I have been around long enough to have seen the original series broadcast on CBS). Subsequent syndication runs required that new, generic music be grafted in, as the rights to that music were only negotiated for the original broadcasts and network re-runs. In fact, there is an episode where the station runs a "name those songs" contest. In the original broadcasts, the music clips (short as they were) were real rock songs by the original artists. The contest winner named all of the songs/artists and they were indeed the "real deal". Syndicated episodes substituted fake songs and artists. Kind of sad, really.

When the first season of WKRP was about to come out on DVD, much ado was made about the original music being included. No luck. Rights to the songs were reported to be prohibitively expensive at the time. There must have been a boatload of negotiating done to get the rights to the 80% of the original music stated to be included in this DVD release.

Now, we'll see if they were able to get the rights to include Foreigner's "Hot Blooded" in the episode where Les Nessman prepares to take Jennifer to the Silver Sow awards banquet...a classic scene.

More importantly, and less likely IMHO, is did they get the rights to Floyd's 'Dogs' for the classic scene of Carlson asking Johnny 'do I hear dogs barking?' 'I do' in the greatest episode of TV ever 'Turkey's Away?' That entire scene was cut out of the 1st season DVD because it just doesn't work w/out that music.

More importantly, and less likely IMHO, is did they get the rights to Floyd's 'Dogs' for the classic scene of Carlson asking Johnny 'do I hear dogs barking?' 'I do' in the greatest episode of TV ever 'Turkey's Away?' That entire scene was cut out of the 1st season DVD because it just doesn't work w/out that music.

Pink Floyd is not on the list of artists whose music was licensed for the DVD release. So, sadly, no. Here is a link to the list:

https://www.shoutfactory.com/editorials/wkrp-in-cincinnati-music-update

Pink Floyd is not on the list of artists whose music was licensed for the DVD release. So, sadly, no. Here is a link to the list:

https://www.shoutfactory.com/editorials/wkrp-in-cincinnati-music-update

Bummer. Looks like I'll have to splice that scene from VHS tapes.

At least Foreigner and Elton John are back in. Those scenes weren't right w/out the original music. "Take my order terrible dresser." :censored:

My wife and I finished dead last in a bar trivia contest last night. Yes, I am posting this in the right thread. I'm quite proud of the accomplishment. We aren't the super nerds who get every single question right and I like that.

The world needs people like you.

So families like mine can continue to win bar trivia week in and week out.

I has a sad. I'll never come close to that. 65 if everything falls just right and there isn't much hope for that.

I had no idea when I started out as an IT professional(civil servant) 30+ years ago, that I would stay in one place the entire time. Like I said, I consider myself fortunate, and never like to hear about people who HAVE to work into their mid-60's and 70's. I am not referring to people who have the means to retire, but choose to continue to work late into their life.

Post retirement health insurance for so many sucks, it really makes retiring difficult. :(

The world needs people like you.

So families like mine can continue to win bar trivia week in and week out.

They let you in bars?

The other thing I think is awesome about it is I don't have my cell phone hidden under the table like two teams did. We are just there to unwind a bit, we don't need to cheat our way to a gift card.

They let you in bars?

The other thing I think is awesome about it is I don't have my cell phone hidden under the table like two teams did. We are just there to unwind a bit, we don't need to cheat our way to a gift card.

I hate it when people cheat at trivia night! ######!

weave has given me cover. My sister in law this morning, out of nowhere, let out a call of "Eeeeeboooooolaaaa" to the tune of "Ricola."

Nothing cures worries about a sore throat quite like a hemorrhagic fever.

Know I'm not so popular around here, but I got an amazing phone call today. I'll be joining TWC Buffalo as an assignment editor. Looking forward to starting my broadcast career in Buffalo.

Congratulations! And no hate here. Just think of us as community that has been willing to help you hone your craft in the past. :)

Good Luck.

Good stuff, Tank. Will you be on air?

It's entry-level off air. It's a start, and I'm excited to move back up there.

(To the others congratulating me, thanks! Didn't want to quote everybody and clog it up haha)

Edited by Tankalicious

Know I'm not so popular around here, but I got an amazing phone call today. I'll be joining TWC Buffalo as an assignment editor. Looking forward to starting my broadcast career in Buffalo.

Good for you! :beer:

Work hard, stay focused, do a good job, and move up the ladder. Good luck w/ it.

I was talking with a fellow the other day, and by pure happenstance he used to work and travel with my late dad. He told me how my dad would go back to his hotel room after dinner while the rest of the guys went to a bar. The next morning, the man recalled, my dad would just smile at them as they endured hangovers. Not that I expected to hear that my dad was a lush — he rarely drank and once got tipsy on half a glass of some horrible wine at a Pizza Hut up by Erie and my mom thought she'd have to drive us home, which would truly have been disastrous — but it was nice to not have my image of the man tainted. Maybe he was a square, but he was also a solid family man. What was beyond nice, awesome actually, was this out of nowhere and lovely and totally familiar image of my dad through the eyes of another.

Being in Warsaw on the night they beat Germany 2-0 in Euro cup qualifying. As you know, there is some history between these two countries. While I could not get a ticket to see it live in the stadium, I did get to celebrate with the Poles in local bars. Lots of fun.