[OT] ... Best concert ever attended / hope to attend

Sabres Fan in NS

Very impressive. It was Sheas (my friends older brother was there). I knew about Bono's broken shoulder and bad voice in 87, but still pissed I missed it.

I saw Our Lady Peace at Hard Rock Las Vegas in 98. Had backstage pass too. Cool lead singer. Good time for sure.

Cheers!

I thought that was a great show.

I forgot about seeing Allen Holdsworth in King Concert Hall at SUNY Fredonia.

My biggest regret was not seeing Miles Davis.

Forgot to add Worse Show to my post above. Had to be Stevie Nicks in 82 maybe? I love her and her obvious musical skills, but at that moment in time she was sloppy and drunk and after every song she stumbled off stage to change her clothes. She spent more time off stage than on I think. Not good.

Very impressive. It was Sheas (my friends older brother was there). I knew about Bono's broken shoulder and bad voice in 87, but still pissed I missed it.

I saw Our Lady Peace at Hard Rock Las Vegas in 98. Had backstage pass too. Cool lead singer. Good time for sure.

Cheers!

I saw OLP in a small bar in Hartford around 2003 - back stage passes - really good show/good time. The opening band was Joydrop, a canadian band with the song, "beautiful like me." I talked with the lead singer (a girl) for about a half an hour after their set (she came out to the bar) and did a few jaggar shots with her.

I saw OLP in a small bar in Hartford around 2003 - back stage passes - really good show/good time. The opening band was Joydrop, a canadian band with the song, "beautiful like me." I talked with the lead singer (a girl) for about a half an hour after their set (she came out to the bar) and did a few jaggar shots with her.

Ok. No more posts for 12 months. You've met your quota.

Yeah that's a jab, but not a "I'm going to pick on you because you're not in the club" type of jab. More of a jib/jab.

... For pure entertainment factor, not because they are your favourite band, but that could be the case.

I think this is a (for lack of a better word) flawed question... what one person finds "most entertaining" is influenced by where the act ranks on the person's "favorite band/act" list... so just like there are people that raved about certain bands that I have no interest in seeing no matter how "entertaining" people say it is, i'm sure my very short list will only appeal to a certain few...

anyway...

Best Concert for me (personal reasons and entertaining) - Paul McCartney 2010 (absolutely amazing in every way)

Next Best - The Police (2007 & 2008)

Most Fun/Laughs, non stop enjoyment - Weird Al Yankovic (multiple times)

Wish I had seen but now impossible - The Beatles (at a small venue 1962-ish but would take anywhere/time)

there are a lot of bands I wish I'd seen or wish I could see, but I won't spend money to see them from 100 yrds away... obviously with the exceptions of McCartney and The Police... Foo FIghters might be added to that exception list as I do wish to see them but not sure about price. I regret being snowed in and not getting to see Weezer in a little club in Harrisburg PA back in 1995, and would like to see them now, but only if the price is right.

I think this is a (for lack of a better word) flawed question... what one person finds "most entertaining" is influenced by where the act ranks on the person's "favorite band/act" list... so just like there are people that raved about certain bands that I have no interest in seeing no matter how "entertaining" people say it is, i'm sure my very short list will only appeal to a certain few...

anyway...

Best Concert for me (personal reasons and entertaining) - Paul McCartney 2010 (absolutely amazing in every way)

Next Best - The Police (2007 & 2008)

Most Fun/Laughs, non stop enjoyment - Weird Al Yankovic (multiple times)

Wish I had seen but now impossible - The Beatles (at a small venue 1962-ish but would take anywhere/time)

there are a lot of bands I wish I'd seen or wish I could see, but I won't spend money to see them from 100 yrds away... obviously with the exceptions of McCartney and The Police... Foo FIghters might be added to that exception list as I do wish to see them but not sure about price. I regret being snowed in and not getting to see Weezer in a little club in Harrisburg PA back in 1995, and would like to see them now, but only if the price is right.

I forgot about the McCartney show I saw in Columbus Ohio in...2005? 06? Fabulous, one of the best shows I ever saw. Expensive! But fabulous.

Foo Fighters at the newly Christened FN'C september 25 2011

this happened to be the 20th anniversary weekend of the Nirvana album "Nevermind", and as a tribute, brought Christ Novaselak (Bass player from Nirvana) on stage to play a song with the band.

For those of you who don't know, Dave Grohl was once the drummer for Nirvana, and Pat Smear, one of the guitarists for the Foo was also a guitarist for Nirvana. I got to see 3/4 of Nirvana and it was incredible.

As for the show itself, great set list. Perfect balance of new and old songs, with a few great covers thrown in. That and the encore was something like 6 songs. The Foo probably played for 3 hours straight, and thats after rise against and Mariachi el bronx opened for em.

number two might be a A7X, Bullet for my Valentine, and Atreyu show i say back in 07 at the rochester armory, but over the summer i saw OAR for free at the art park. That was awesome.

Iron Maiden - Somewhere In Time Tour 86/87 - Rochester War Memorial

(cool commercial for the tour)

First concert, 15 years old. For those youngsters on the board, reminder that back then we didn't have access to media like we do now. When the robotic Eddie came out....coolest thing ever (for a 15 year old, in 1987).

Going to see Radiohead next month for the first time, looking forward to that.

this happened to be the 20th anniversary weekend of the Nirvana album "Nevermind", and as a tribute, brought Christ Novaselak (Bass player from Nirvana) on stage to play a song with the band.

For those of you who don't know, Dave Grohl was once the drummer for Nirvana, and Pat Smear, one of the guitarists for the Foo was also a guitarist for Nirvana. I got to see 3/4 of Nirvana and it was incredible.

As for the show itself, great set list. Perfect balance of new and old songs, with a few great covers thrown in. That and the encore was something like 6 songs. The Foo probably played for 3 hours straight, and thats after rise against and Mariachi el bronx opened for em.

number two might be a A7X, Bullet for my Valentine, and Atreyu show i say back in 07 at the rochester armory, but over the summer i saw OAR for free at the art park. That was awesome.

Too bad you didn't ever see the best 1/4 of Nirvana...

I've seen Metallica 24 times and a ridiculous amount of other shows. I've got seats to Roger Waters & The Wall in June; I'm looking forward to that. Most recent? Foo's, Ministry, Social D. I've never seen Bad Religion, though they're on my list of musts.

I would also add missing Led Zepplin due to John Bonham's death as a great regrett. It was the In Through the Out Door tour, but my recollection is that I had a ticket and he died shortly before the show. Hazy memory for sure.

Another series of concerts that were great and are very fond memories is regularly seeing Spyro Gyro at the Tralf

Best shows:

The Cure @ Molson Amphitheatre in Toronto June 2000, tied with Tool in Cleveland '06 sometime, also NIN any of the many times I've seen them.

Honorable Mention:

Depeche Mode 2001 @ Molson Ampitheatre, They Might Be Giants several times, Pearl Jam several times, Barenaked ladies several times, T-Hip several times...others I'm forgetting.

Worst band ever live: tie between Live and Kings of Leon. I saw live @ SBU in 1997 when the lead singer got hit in the face with a shoe and ran offstage 20 minutes in. By all accounts from everyone who came into contact with them, they were complete d-bags the entire time they were there. Kings of Leon are just awful live...

Talas was a fantastic band. Enjoyed every show of theirs that I saw.

I still have a Talas LP in the closet. Met Billy Sheehan a few years ago at a funeral. He was surprised to be remembered.

I never saw them live, but I too have their LP in my vinyl collection. I might just have to spin that disc tonight....

I was there for that one too

I saw them at the Molsen Amphitheatre in 05...they opened with this..One of the best opening songs of any concert I have attended

Best concert ever: Talking Heads, summer of 1983 "Remain in Light" tour which would become the movie "Stop Making Sense." Miami University, Oxford OH. Sat in the 4th row.

PTR

Of all the great shows listed in this thread, this is the one I wish I was at the most.

Worst band ever live: tie between Live and Kings of Leon. I saw live @ SBU in 1997 when the lead singer got hit in the face with a shoe and ran offstage 20 minutes in. By all accounts from everyone who came into contact with them, they were complete d-bags the entire time they were there. Kings of Leon are just awful live...

I've heard a few stories of them ending shows for various whiny reasons. This isn't one of them though. If someone's getting hit in the face with a shoe, I'd say that's more than enough reason to end a show. Blame the idiot who threw it, not the band.

Wow, this made me think back, in the 70's as teenagers concerts were a huge thing. Some of my most memorable shows are from that time. Emerson, Lake and Palmer had an amazing show, The Stones, I think it was in 76 on the 4th of July, at Rich was great. AC/DC's first big tour, fronting for Aerosmith. Light shows ELP, Genesis and Blue Oyster Cult before they banned their laser show. Theatrical would be Alice Cooper, KISS, The Tubes and Meatloaf, when he first hit was a pretty cool show. Heavier Rock favorites who put on good shows were Iron Maiden, Nugent, and Montrose. I could go on for hours it seems, but if I had to choose one as my favorite it might be the first time seeing Emerson Lake and Palmer.

Too bad you didn't ever see the best 1/4 of Nirvana...

i was a little young for a Nirvana show back when they were all around (i think i was 3 when Kurt killed himself?)

But I gotta say i prefer Grohl to Cobain. Not a dis on Kurt at all, he was a phenomenal musician. I just like Dave better.

Great thread ... and in no particular order.

1) Elvis (Niagara Falls Convention Center)

2) Bob Seger, with opening band "Cars" (Aud, and yes, those "Cars")

3) The Who, The Stones at Rich Stadium, over and over

3) The Dead and the Stones on the same weekend, Aud and Rich Stadium (Dead Stoned Weekend)

4) Peter Gabrielle (it was sublime, Shea's)

5) Elvis Costello (Shea's, 57 minutes long, we were pissed)

6) Sinatra (Aud)

7) The Police (UB Clark Gym, elbows on the stage, 3,000 people max)

8) Stray Cats (see above, another night)

9) Shania Twain (St Pete Times Forum ... I'd pay to watch her brush her teeth)

10) Run DMC (St Pete Times Forum)

11) Alanis Morrisette (SPTF)

12) Black Eyed Peas (SPTF, awesome)

13) Yo Yo Ma (Kleinhans)

14) Anything conducted by Semyon Bychkov, Kleinhans

15) Crosby Still and Nash, a wharf, New York City

16) A dozen nameless bands at The Continental or Rude Boys.

17) The Clash (Rich Stadium .. the only band that matters)

I could go on for hours ... I appreciate your indulgence. My tomb stone shall read .. "He saw The King, Ol' Blue Eyes, and Run DMC".

Lastly ... one band I tried to see, over and over, and never succeeded (strange circumstances, each time) ... Guns N Roses

Archived