[OT] ... Best concert ever attended / hope to attend

Sabres Fan in NS

I know my first thread (to quote Keith Moon) went over like a lead balloon.

Let's try again.

Since the only NHL hockey being played is the ASG and we can only talk about DR, LR and the players so much.

A question ... what was the best concert you ever attended, or hope to attend, or wish you could have attended. For pure entertainment factor, not because they are your favourite band, but that could be the case.

Mine ...

The Clash ... the only band that ever mattered.

Bob Marley ... Rastaman Vibration, positive ... everything is irie, mon.

Queen ... no better front man than Freddie.

Great Big Sea ... We'll rant and roar like true Newfoundlanders ... some of the posters in the songs to describe the Sabres fall from grace thread know of what I speak.

Bryan Adams ... energy to burn from an old guy like me.

There is no one that I can think of that I really need to see now ... too old for that kind of stuff. Most of the concerts of my youth I can't remember and couldn't remember them then either.

There are only two bands that I wish I could have seen ...

Pink Floyd and Led Zep.

What say you ...

Ok, my list is pretty weak, but here goes:

1. Tom Petty & The Heartbreakers in 2010... great band, great concert, but it was part of their Mojo tour, and Mojo wasn't that good of an album. Would have liked to see these guys 20 years ago.

2. Not sure if this counts but the "Pink Floyd Experience" (a pink floyd cover-band) at St. Bonaventure was awesome. I'm sure it hardly compares to the real Pink Floyd live in their hay day, but I arrived a little late for that. Also, never been that ripped in my life.

On a side note, I'm trying hard to go see Roger Waters perform the Wall at UB this summer..

As for bands I wish I could see live? Neil Young, The Who, Zep, Pearl Jam. Probably more

Can't remember details.......... not sure why............ :P

Styx Paradise Theater was my first concert so it deserves props. I can't pick out a best show otherwise. I love live music and I've seen a ton of bands in venues large and small. Loved most every one I've seen in genres ranging from current metal to old school blues.

One of my favorite weeks of life so far:

Van Halen on a Sunday, Bills MNF game the next night against Cincinatti, followed by a "week cap" of Rush at Copps Colosseum that Friday in support of "Roll the Bones." That week still ranks in my top 3.

Best concert I've been to recently: Muse. They're just an incredibly high-energy band that knows how to get the crowd moving.

Concerts I regret not having gone to even when the chances presented themselves: Pink Floyd. Could have seen them on the "Momentary Lapse" and "Delicate Sounds" tours. Never did, and now I never will.

Band I've seen the most times: Barenaked Ladies. I've actually lost track, but it's in the double digits. Fare thee well, Steve, but sorry ... sometimes less is more.

I'd pick any of the 5 Pearl Jam shows I've seen. They were all amazing. It's kind of crazy but if I had to pick the best one I really couldn't. The 3rd of the 5 was the weakest, but the rest were great. That one gets a free pass though because it was a part of two shows in one weekend and then they went all out on that second one.

Concerts I have seen? Who knows, so many to list.

Tool always does a good show

I was one person behind the barrier from the stage at a Metallica show and got 2 guitar picks from Kirk that night

STP at the Rapids theatre last fall was cool cause it was such a small venue to see them play in

I have seen Ozzy multiple times

I saw The Tea Party play many small club shows but the best one was when the played for over 2 hours in a small bar after midnight (they had some technical difficulties earlier and were delayed over 3 hours getting on, so they played more then a full set to make up for it)

I have seen The Trews play many small club shows too that are always great

I saw Matt Good play in a parking lot of a club and during the show he hopped off the stage and started playing from the golf course accross the street

The 2 bands in concert that I would have loved to see live would be Zepplin and the original lineup Smashing Pumpkins (closest I have come was seeing ZWAN at UB)

Also I would have loved to have been alive to see the Beatles in concert

Might be taking my mom to a concert this summer to see Neil Diamond for the first time

Only been to one concert so far...

Headlined by Avenged Sevenfold and Godsmack.

Bands included: Three Days Grace, Seether, Alter Bridge, Bullet For My Valentine, Skillet, Theory of a Deadman, Hinder, Saving Abel, and some newer, upcoming bands.

Wish I could see a few that are coming to my area this summer, but who knows.

Band I've seen the most times: Barenaked Ladies. I've actually lost track, but it's in the double digits. Fare thee well, Steve, but sorry ... sometimes less is more.

I saw Steve performing solo here in Niagara about 2 years ago. He played some solo and some BNL stuff too

Only been to one concert so far...

Headlined by Avenged Sevenfold and Godsmack.

Bands included: Three Days Grace, Seether, Alter Bridge, Bullet For My Valentine, Skillet, Theory of a Deadman, Hinder, Saving Abel, and some newer, upcoming bands.

Wish I could see a few that are coming to my area this summer, but who knows.

Godsmacks always amazing live. First time I saw them I was blown away when they did the drum battle on stage

I was one person behind the barrier from the stage at a Metallica show and got 2 guitar picks from Kirk that night

Oh yeah, this reminds me of another. I was right up front on the barrier for an Alice in Chains concert last year (still have the Jerry Cantrell pick). I would have liked to see them back when Layne Staley was drugged out of his mind and alive, but getting up that close was one hell of an experience.

That was a fun year. I got to see all of my big Seattle three, Pearl Jam, AIC, and Soundgarden all within one calendar year. That seems like one hell of an accomplishment given that it was 2010-2011, Layne's dead and Soundgarden had been broken up for 14 years.

edit: Oh, and anyone who has ever been to a Rush show has to mention a Neil Peart drum solo.

from the days of my youth, it's gabriel on his so tour. (i just missed him on plays live (too young)). he played locally at alumni arena out at ub. general admission. a small riot broke out when the doors opened. i nearly wound up dead (or at least hospitalized), then almost got arrested, and then, miraculously, was 12 feet from the stage. this footage is from greece (as in the country near italy), but he played this song in buffalo too:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=knqhdNWuLJo

fast forward to the 5:40 mark for the crowd dive. amazing. to my knowledge, gabriel was the one to do this sort of thing first. and he definitely did it the best.

more recently, there's no question that it's the avett brothers. the 2011 show in pittsburgh was probably the best i've seen (and i've seen those road dogs 4 times). i tell everyone who'll listen: you. must. see. these. guys. live.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bgkg-MWWk9Y

Oh yeah, this reminds me of another. I was right up front on the barrier for an Alice in Chains concert last year (still have the Jerry Cantrell pick). I would have liked to see them back when Layne Staley was drugged out of his mind and alive, but getting up that close was one hell of an experience.

That was a fun year. I got to see all of my big Seattle three, Pearl Jam, AIC, and Soundgarden all within one calendar year. That seems like one hell of an accomplishment given that it was 2010-2011, Layne's dead and Soundgarden had been broken up for 14 years.

edit: Oh, and anyone who has ever been to a Rush show has to mention a Neil Peart drum solo.

I saw Cantrell during his solo stuff, he performed a couple songs then stormed off stage becuase he was having a real bad day

It was a festival show, middle of the day in July, he had to go on early because the band that was going on before him, Sevendust, was delayed at the border coming in so they made him go on in their slot, then the hot July heat apparently melted parts of his amp and he was fed up and stormed off the stage

Forgot about Rush ...

Saw them many times over the years. Good Canadian boys and always a good show.

I saw Cantrell during his solo stuff, he performed a couple songs then stormed off stage becuase he was having a real bad day

It was a festival show, middle of the day in July, he had to go on early because the band that was going on before him, Sevendust, was delayed at the border coming in so they made him go on in their slot, then the hot July heat apparently melted parts of his amp and he was fed up and stormed off the stage

That sounds pretty awful, but it reminded me of another one (what's with you and reminding me of things today?). When I went to the Soundgarden show I mentioned in that post, work was quickly leaking around the parking lot that the bass player for the opening act was arrested that day because he tried to rob a local pharmacy. Some roadie wound up filling in for the guy. I'd say it was a safe bet that the band was quickly kicked off the tour after that day. Chris Cornell was noticeably pissed when he "thanked" the opening acts.

I saw my favorite band of all time, Rush, a few years ago during Snakes and Arrows. Best day of my life. Being so young I thought I would never get to see them. I have also seen a good Zeppelin cover band, Peter Frampton, and a few other bands.

I wish I could have seen Zeppelin, Pink Floyd, Hendrix, Nirvana,etc

I would like to see Van Halen, Metallica, and Megadeth beforenthey all quit. It sucks being a young fan of these bands.

That sounds pretty awful, but it reminded me of another one (what's with you and reminding me of things today?). When I went to the Soundgarden show I mentioned in that post, work was quickly leaking around the parking lot that the bass player for the opening act was arrested that day because he tried to rob a local pharmacy. Some roadie wound up filling in for the guy. I'd say it was a safe bet that the band was quickly kicked off the tour after that day. Chris Cornell was noticeably pissed when he "thanked" the opening acts.

i remember that, can't remember the name of the band but I think he had serious drug problems and he robbed the pharmacy before a show

Yikes so many overtime so little memory.

My first official concert was Jethro Tull Aqualung tour at the Aud.

Best show ever has to be Pink Floyd with Led Zepplin a very close second both also at the Aud seats on the floor 12th and 15th rows. (My freinds older brother worked for radio station as the time)

Many, many runner ups, AC/DC, Rolling Stones, The Who reunion tour at Rich Stadium, Queen, Deep Purple, Heart, ELO, Eagles, BOC, ZZ top, Cheap trick, Aerosmith, Lynard Skynard, Ted Nugent, Eric Clapton, Pat Benatar, David Bowie, Bob Seger, Bruce Sprinsteen, Triumph, ELP, TYA, Mountain, Crosby Stills, Nash and young, Wishbone Ash, Humble Pie, George Toroughgood, Foreigner, James gang, Allman Brother's, Uriah Heep, Focus, Moody Blues, Joe Cocker, Peter Frampton, Journey, and more that are not being remembered right now ........ Yeah I like rock and that's how I still roll.

1. Metallica at some small club in Toronto, around 1995-1996. It was one of the Molson Blind Date series shows, but my bandmates got tickets thru the Metallica fan club. I was down on the floor about 3 people from the stage. I still have a couple guitar picks from that one.

2. Most of the Slackers shows I've been to, they always put on a great show and I can dance around like an idiot. If I had to pick one, they did a booze cruise on the Hudson a couple years ago. A band, a boat, a bar, and the Hudson river from 44th st down to the Statue of Liberty and back.

3. Flogging Molly, Irving Plaza near Union Square a couple years ago. Party because the opening band, Reverend Peyton's Big Damn Band was something to behold, look them up on Youtube. FM is really solid in concert, their shows tend towards the punk side of things so high energy with lots of singing along.

4. They Might Be Giants and Moxy Fruvous: Funny, fun, and lots of girls about. Description applies to both of them. :)

5. Rush at the MMA, during Counterparts (I think). Nice show, but the crowd was pretty tame.

EDIT: Grrr, HTML

3. Flogging Molly, Irving Plaza near Union Square a couple years ago. Party because the opening band, Reverend Peyton's Big Damn Band was something to behold, look them up on Youtube. FM is really solid in concert, their shows tend towards the punk side of things so high energy with lots of singing along.

The internet is either awesome or terrifying, this clip is from that show:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3CvFpcUpmc0

As is this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_DXoJhPgV0M

(around 1:55 the camera pans down, I'm probably in that shot somewhere)

I know my first thread (to quote Keith Moon) went over like a lead balloon.

Let's try again.

Since the only NHL hockey being played is the ASG and we can only talk about DR, LR and the players so much.

A question ... what was the best concert you ever attended, or hope to attend, or wish you could have attended. For pure entertainment factor, not because they are your favourite band, but that could be the case.

Mine ...

The Clash ... the only band that ever mattered.

Bob Marley ... Rastaman Vibration, positive ... everything is irie, mon.

Queen ... no better front man than Freddie.

Great Big Sea ... We'll rant and roar like true Newfoundlanders ... some of the posters in the songs to describe the Sabres fall from grace thread know of what I speak.

Bryan Adams ... energy to burn from an old guy like me.

There is no one that I can think of that I really need to see now ... too old for that kind of stuff. Most of the concerts of my youth I can't remember and couldn't remember them then either.

There are only two bands that I wish I could have seen ...

Pink Floyd and Led Zep.

What say you ...

nice thread.

I've seen way too many concerts....hundreds and hundreds, not only from being a professional musician for years, but just because it used to be my favorite thing to do. i have mound of picks and drum sticks from shows, even have tori amos tea cup...which if anyone is looking for anything i could easily be asked into parting ways.

best band to see live now i would say is Sigur Ros. i've only been able to see them 6 times but any chance i get i will go.

the mars volta is another amazing band to see live, and i never had a chance to see at the drive-in but they are getting back together for a few shows so i may fly out to see them. Omar IS the my inventive guitarist at this moment. and cedric bixler is dynamite.

Tool used to be great, portishead is very clean live,...almost too clean. one band i had no interest in seeing but ended up being phenom live is NIN. with how distorted all his stuff is, he spent a lot of time making sure it was super clear and it really was a great show. Catfight is the best local band ever, skyscraper is great too.

if you like folky stuff....The Ditty Bops are awesome.

i have never seen a good pearl jam show, always disappointed, but STP has been pretty great.

oh and another young folky band that we toured in the UK with is KILL IT KID. the lead singer looks like he is twelve but he has the voice of a 60 year old blues singer. really crazy.

not trying to sound like a music snob, my view on concerts has changed so much over the years that now i only go if i am super amped...bands i want to see....BUKE AND GASE.

going to the whitest kids you know

tomorrow! that should be interesting.

Tesla at the old amphitheater at Darien Lake in the early 90's. Camped there for that weekend also, what a weekend it was. Booze was flowing, food was grillin, and stuff was happenin. :beer: :beer: :beer: :)

I saw The Tubes at Darien Lake the first year they started those outdoor concerts at the old amphetheater. What a great time.

Archived