Regier Looking to Deal: LeBrun

HopefulFuture

:blink:

Wether Lindy and Darcy are fired or not, there is just no way to justify Stafford being on this team beyond this season if the Sabres truly wish to change the culture. At this point how can anyone possibly not be completely done with this guy and his unrealized potential?

No, 2012 is right. Perhaps the Sabres shouldn't deal Stafford. They should just cut him. (Or the equivalent: Ship him to Gwinnett. I don't even want him around the guys in Rochester.)

Persson hasn't even reached Mancari status in the organization with good reason. He's not good...at all. He can skate and shoot but has next to zero hockey IQ. Take the worst of Weber and Gragnani, throw in a little extra softness because he's a Euro and you've got Persson. He's on the second pairing on an AHL team missing it's top 4 defensman. Remember how out of place Finley looked in the NHL? Persson is 4 spots BELOW him on the depth chart. Some guy named Crawford is playing above him on the top pair.

Since this is Persson's 3rd year in the AHL, I am assuming it is the last year of his ELC, and the Sabres have probably seen enough to forego his rights(especially with the blueline prospects in the pipeline). I at least give him credit for sticking it out for 3 years, unlike Schutz(2 years in Portland) and Gogulla(1 year in Portland) who went running back to Germany.

Since this is Persson's 3rd year in the AHL, I am assuming it is the last year of his ELC, and the Sabres have probably seen enough to forego his rights(especially with the blueline prospects in the pipeline). I at least give him credit for sticking it out for 3 years, unlike Schutz(2 years in Portland) and Gogulla(1 year in Portland) who went running back to Germany.

Persson will be re-signed, and rightfully so. The guy has skill and has had the troubles of transitioning to the NA game put behind him finally. I like how he uses his size and weight to keep the puck up along the blueline.

He's a better alternative to Grag's at this point I just don't understand why Regier hasn't given the kid an opportunity to play up with the big club yet.

Persson will be re-signed, and rightfully so. The guy has skill and has had the troubles of transitioning to the NA game put behind him finally. I like how he uses his size and weight to keep the puck up along the blueline.

He's a better alternative to Grag's at this point I just don't understand why Regier hasn't given the kid an opportunity to play up with the big club yet.

What is this opinion based on?

Welcome to the board.

Good anaysis ... now change your avitar.

I'm sorry but, I don't see any GM in the NHL viewing Stafford as a power forward and there is no way anyone will give the Sabres a top 10 pick for him.

i'd give him a letterman top 10 pick as one of the most over-rated players in the NHL, but that's just me.

came on to see if there have been any trade updates. looks like a no. back to doing the dishes and laundry. yah. that's how i help out around the house. dishes and laundry.

He's a better alternative to Grag's at this point I

just don't understand why Regier hasn't given

the kid an opportunity to play up with the big

club yet.

Hey Mrs. Persson!!

This confirms what I've thought all along. No reason to read any of your posts, what-so-ever.

Take the Habs' 2nd-rounder (which will be early in the 2nd round) for Roysie and call it a day.

There's just few things wrong with this. One, as already stated, Roy's value is much higher then a 2nd round pick. Second, Montreal isn't a buyer, therefore, I highly doubt they give up a draft pick that high for him. The only Montreal deal that would possibly work is if we take on a guy that makes similar money but who is also getting driven out of town by locals. And that guy is Tomas Plekanec. When Mike Cammaleri was dealt, many wondered when Plekanec will be. He's offensivly gifted, and a top-6 forward who's having a bad season. Could be the pass-first center Regier has been looking for.

He's actually already on his second contract. He spent the first year of his entry level deal on loan in Sweden (which still counted towards the deal). If he hasn't even touched NHL ice yet after 4 years, they're going to let him walk. Like you suggested, there's less room in the system for blue liners, so they're not going to keep a defensemen like him around like they would with a forward (Whitmore).

Persson hasn't even reached Mancari status in the organization with good reason. He's not good...at all. He can skate and shoot but has next to zero hockey IQ. Take the worst of Weber and Gragnani, throw in a little extra softness because he's a Euro and you've got Persson. He's on the second pairing on an AHL team missing it's top 4 defensman. Remember how out of place Finley looked in the NHL? Persson is 4 spots BELOW him on the depth chart. Some guy named Crawford is playing above him on the top pair.

Your assesmemt of Brennan is a little premature. He's got all the tools, hits and fights as well. I could easily see him being a fifth or 6th Dman in the NHL. Not sure what you are expecting after 3 games in the bigs. I look for him to move ahead of MAGand Weber in the next year, although you may be right about him being moved just not for the reason you think. He's a good prospect that any team would covet.

Quoted for truth.

Great report. While i don't have season tickets (i believe I read earlier you did?) I have seen the Amerks several times this season. I like Brennen a lot. I think he will be a solid player in the coming years. He reminds me very much of a Keith Ballard with his style and puck movement. With McNabb and Pysyk on the way, I wouldn't oppose to inlcude Brennen in any deal, but he's a player who I would prefer to keep.

And Persson has been awful each time i saw him play. I wouldn't be too shocked if he's played his last game in the NHL and that he'll go the Phillip Gogulla route.... back to Europe, next season. If the Sabres are sellers at the deadline and team begins to get healthy, i will be very worried for Persson's ice time in Rochester.

There's just few things wrong with this. One, as already stated, Roy's value is much higher then a 2nd round pick. Second, Montreal isn't a buyer, therefore, I highly doubt they give up a draft pick that high for him. The only Montreal deal that would possibly work is if we take on a guy that makes similar money but who is also getting driven out of town by locals. And that guy is Tomas Plekanec. When Mike Cammaleri was dealt, many wondered when Plekanec will be. He's offensivly gifted, and a top-6 forward who's having a bad season. Could be the pass-first center Regier has been looking for.

Interesting. I wasn't expecting that the Habs would want to trade Plekky, but you certainly could be right.

This of course begs the question of whether you'd rather have a high 2nd round pick and a $4MM cap slot to work with, or a 5'10", 189-pound center who turns 30 this year, has a $5MM cap hit for the next 4 years after this one and is underperforming badly this year. That's a real commitment for a guy who does NOT fit the mold we all want to see the Sabres focus a rebuild on. OTOH, it could be another Briere situation.

Hey Mrs. Persson!!

This confirms what I've thought all along. No reason to read any of your posts, what-so-ever.

1 word: Unnecessary. I've thought that about plenty of your posts, doesn't mean I just ignore everything as occasionally I agree, or at least find you opinion interesting.

I mentioned that idea a while ago (here), though nfreeman brings up some good points.

Your assesmemt of Brennan is a little premature. He's got all the tools, hits and fights as well. I could easily see him being a fifth or 6th Dman in the NHL. Not sure what you are expecting after 3 games in the bigs. I look for him to move ahead of MAGand Weber in the next year, although you may be right about him being moved just not for the reason you think. He's a good prospect that any team would covet.

Ink, you've been all over this board forever, you live in Roch and you go to games. So I've gotta trust the other guy, who also happens to think that it would be a mistake to trade Stafford.

Just kidding, obviously.

prolly could dump sekera for him, and have him signe a multiyear deal :D

I know this is tongue in cheek (?) but I wouldn't be opposed if a pick or prospect came back as well...and I like Sekera.

Just kidding, obviously.

Not needed but lately interpretation has been an issue on this board.

No, I think every team is having discussions right now. Discussions are different than trades. Darcy set the market by signing Ehrhoff and Leino this year. I wouldn't say NEVER.

No, it's a trade, but it involved clearing out someone who just called his team a bunch of losers. It's a bit different I would say.

I would have to go back and look at the list in the first post of this thread.. but i was just reading LeBrun and here's his list of forwards:

The list includes Derek Roy, Brad Boyes and Drew Stafford in Buffalo; Vaclav Prospal, Antoine Vermette and Kristian Huselius in Columbus; Ales Hemsky in Edmonton; Tuomo Ruutu in Carolina; and Jason Blake in Anaheim.

He seems to indicate that there are 11-12 teams looking for a "Top 6" forward. If I'm looking at that list I'm not sure that Buffalo is in the worst position. Of course I'd need to put salaries to the names before I made sure of it.

The trade deadline is when GM's do really stupid things and I fully support waiting until then to take advantage of that.

Not to nitpick but he set the market and vastly overpaid. At least for Leino. Not many g.m's are going to follow that lead. On Ehrhoff many have said he overpaid as well but that remains to be seen. It is a long deal and he may well turn out to be a good signing.

RE: Stafford

i'd give him a letterman top 10 pick as one of the most over-rated players in the NHL, but that's just me.

It's actually not just you. A lot of people on this board wanted to trade him last year (or right after last year) when his value was high after he had an unusually good season.

The amazing part is that a bunch of random fans on a message board are better at evaluating players than the GM of their hockey team. Maybe "frightening" is a better word than "amazing" for that though.

Archived