Regier Looking to Deal: LeBrun

HopefulFuture

this team is better without Roy, so who cares what you get in return...

of course, you try to get as much as you can, but just get rid of him if need be. Then move on to Stafford and/or Leino. Boyes only has this year on his contract anyway.

We need to clear some cap space

This is about the only reason I have left in the "keep Roy" column (the only other item is "we already have too few centers"), as I have his actual (game worn, photo matched) 2002 Preseason (he went back to Kitchener that year) jersey. I had high hopes for him a few years back. :(

His only had one awful season, this one. Even then his had his moments just his production is unacceptable.

No, you're right. I don't know what came over me. Obviously Roy and Stafford and Gaustad and Hecht are on the brink of leading Buffalo to its first Stanley Cup Championship ever. It's so clear that even a blind man could see it.

We should absolutely stay the course. I don't care if there are zero signs of life in our franchise at any level. Change is bad. it's scary. Plus, some fans own jerseys with the names of some of our players on them and how would they feel if those players were traded?

Thank you. Thank you for showing me the light.

No problem.

Is there any metric that doesn't indicate we have a broken team?

Why do we need a metric? I believe we'd be better off with a different GM and Coach and with Stafford gone (maybe Leopold as well) but further than that I don't see the point in making radical changes. 14 years of management has gone stale.

Statistically, the Sabres have a 4% chance of making the postseason. Four. Percent. Professional sports teams, or any business really, can't bank on something that would essentially be a statistical accident if it came true. The best thing to do for the franchise is sell off our expiring contracts for picks and try to free up some cap room by trading contracts that go beyond this year, but aren't in the team's plans beyond next season. This doesn't mean tank, as I'm sure we'll get some players back in return along the way to plug holes in the roster for the remainder of the season. I don't believe the roster as a whole is so bad and hopeless we need a complete rebuild a la the Oilers, but I think a Philadelphia-style overhaul is definitely in order.

Edit: Even if we got ZERO players in return, our lineup for the rest of the year could look something like:

Vanek-Adam-Pominville

Ennis-Leino-Kassian

Gerbe-McCormick/Chewy-Stafford

Tropp/McCormick-Ellis-Kaleta

Myers-McNabb

Ehrhoff-Regehr

Sekera-Weber

Miller

Enroth

Obviously it's not ideal (and no, I didn't put much thought into the actual line combos, just filling in bodies) but it's also not really worse than we've had for the majority of the season. But we'd also have an extra 4-5 mid round picks, some spare cap room, and hopefully a center prospect ready to go for next season.

This sort of makes sense. I'd make sure McCormick and Stafford are gone as well.

EDIT: I've put the key for me in bold.

I agree that the most credible rumors are Darcy wants top 6 for top 6...but I disagree with your first point. If we could get an NHL-ready center prospect for Roy, I think it makes perfect sense. I think the beginning of this season proved that Vanek and Pominville can work with a young center, plus as long as Adam dedicates himself in the offseason to his skating and defense, I expect him to be a legit top 6 player next year. I know the Sabres want to make the playoffs this year, but internally they have to recognize that unless we rip off the next 5 games as wins, it's just not going to happen. And frankly, if Regier is feeling the pressure to make it this year (who knows, maybe he feels his job is on the line if they miss) then he's the last guy I want making moves.

Sure a guy who could be top 6 next year would certianly fit the mold. I dont see them trading for guy who projects top 6 in 4 or 5 years and is playing in the OHL now.

His only had one awful season, this one. Even then his had his moments just his production is unacceptable.

Don't get me wrong, there's a lot to like about his game, but the bad parts are outweighing the good at this point. He didn't end up where I thought he could.

(Oh, and I have an overwhelming urge to use Find and Replace.)

Don't get me wrong, there's a lot to like about his game, but the bad parts are outweighing the good at this point. He didn't end up where I thought he could.

(Oh, and I have an overwhelming urge to use Find and Replace.)

Fair point, I can see what you mean looking at his resume from the minors.

Darcy moving at his usual pace... turtle speed. :wallbash:

He's moving as fast as every other GM in the league right now. Unless you want to count the Florida/Hurricanes trade as something spectacular.

I'm growing tired of people expecting action when there's no action to be had. I get it, people are frustrated, but that's no reason to abandon reality. NOT ONE SINGLE TEAM IS DOING ANYTHING RIGHT NOW SO WHY EXPECT ANYTHING FROM YOUR GM?

He's moving as fast as every other GM in the league right now. Unless you want to count the Florida/Hurricanes trade as something spectacular.

I'm growing tired of people expecting action when there's no action to be had. I get it, people are frustrated, but that's no reason to abandon reality. NOT ONE SINGLE TEAM IS DOING ANYTHING RIGHT NOW SO WHY EXPECT ANYTHING FROM YOUR GM?

Montreal and Calgary say hi!

I don't care how bad Roy is playing, with one more year left on a cap friendly contract and his resume, he is worth more than a 2nd round pick.

Yea he is. This isnt like the NFL, picks in hockey dont carry as much value. Roy is def worth more than a maybe kinda potential NHL player.

Montreal and Calgary say hi!

yes.. I don't count that either. Moving Rene Bourque (a guy with a suspension history) for Cammalleri (He of the we are losers, quote) isn't much of a deal either, imo.

The big trades aren't there yet... they are coming, I am sure. Give it the All-star break when GM's have a few days to do nothing but think and talk about what they want to do.

Darcy has never been able to set the market. He waits for the market to set itself then he tries to make a move. Reactive rather than proactive. And at a glacial speed. Not to completely abandon reality here but do you think not a single team is having discussions right now?

Archived