Regier Looking to Deal: LeBrun

HopefulFuture

You never know, they've been pretty desperate at points this season.

The Canes will be sellers. They will try to trade Ruutu and/or Gleason, both who are UFA at the end of the season, for picks/prospects. I won't be shocked to see if they traded Erik Staal, too.

You couldnt trade roy for anyones 1st round pick let alone a player and a 1st

Agreed. I do like Berglund, and that's a realistic trade (without the pick), but i'd like Darcy Regier to try to get a lot more toughness. Usually that means staying away from Europeans, espicially since we have Armia on his way and if we land a top 5 pick, if we select a forward, it will most likely be a European.

The Canes will be sellers. They will try to trade Ruutu and/or Gleason, both who are UFA at the end of the season, for picks/prospects. I won't be shocked to see if they traded Erik Staal, too.

Agreed. I do like Berglund, and that's a realistic trade (without the pick), but i'd like Darcy Regier to try to get a lot more toughness. Usually that means staying away from Europeans, espicially since we have Armia on his way and if we land a top 5 pick, if we select a forward, it will most likely be a European.

I've said they'd do that and we should go for him but I've been shouted down before.

I could see them getting a low 1st for Roy in the deadline frenzy, but definitely not an NHL-ready center plus a #1.

Teams that are going to have "low 1sts" are probably also in rebuilding mode and probably not interested in trading draft picks. (I'm thinking you mean "low" as in "early" but maybe our wires are crossed.) I could see the Sabres getting a later 1st round pick for some of their guys.

Teams that are going to have "low 1sts" are probably also in rebuilding mode and probably not interested in trading draft picks. (I'm thinking you mean "low" as in "early" but maybe our wires are crossed.) I could see the Sabres getting a later 1st round pick for some of their guys.

I assumed he meant late 1sts. If a team is picking up a player like that, it's probably one making a Cup run, so it wouldn't be an ealy 1st.

Carp's got it.

This team isnt built right now to acquire prospects. They are built with a shorter term goal in mind. Yes they suck right now, but that doesnt change the facts.

I dont expect them to unload a top 6 F for a couple of prospects. The most credible rumors say top 6 for top 6 and that makes the most sense, regardless of your assesment of the top 6 worthiness of our rumored tradees.

I agree that the most credible rumors are Darcy wants top 6 for top 6...but I disagree with your first point. If we could get an NHL-ready center prospect for Roy, I think it makes perfect sense. I think the beginning of this season proved that Vanek and Pominville can work with a young center, plus as long as Adam dedicates himself in the offseason to his skating and defense, I expect him to be a legit top 6 player next year. I know the Sabres want to make the playoffs this year, but internally they have to recognize that unless we rip off the next 5 games as wins, it's just not going to happen. And frankly, if Regier is feeling the pressure to make it this year (who knows, maybe he feels his job is on the line if they miss) then he's the last guy I want making moves.

The thing about trading Roy is that if they do that, they need to bring back 3 centers (not all in the same deal obviously). Yes, that means they need to add 2 centers to the number they currently have.

They don't need to do anything. The season is over. Play Myers at center for the rest of the year if you want. Who cares? We could trade Roy, Gaustad, and Hecht today and we have until the start of next season's training camp to have them replaced.

Plus, I'm hoping they ask for center prospects who are around the same place developmentally as Kassian or McNabb. Basically just finishing up their AHL stints before they become NHLers.

They don't need to do anything. The season is over. Play Myers at center for the rest of the year if you want. Who cares? We could trade Roy, Gaustad, and Hecht today and we have until the start of next season's training camp to have them replaced.

Plus, I'm hoping they ask for center prospects who are around the same place developmentally as Kassian or McNabb. Basically just finishing up their AHL stints before they become NHLers.

Ah the hope of the fan base! In January lets call it quits, play people out of position and ruin our prospects by trading all of our regulars. Brilliant idea, inspired. :doh:

Ah the hope of the fan base! In January lets call it quits, play people out of position and ruin our prospects by trading all of our regulars. Brilliant idea, inspired. :doh:

No, you're right. I don't know what came over me. Obviously Roy and Stafford and Gaustad and Hecht are on the brink of leading Buffalo to its first Stanley Cup Championship ever. It's so clear that even a blind man could see it.

We should absolutely stay the course. I don't care if there are zero signs of life in our franchise at any level. Change is bad. it's scary. Plus, some fans own jerseys with the names of some of our players on them and how would they feel if those players were traded?

Thank you. Thank you for showing me the light.

Plus, some fans own jerseys with the names of some of our players on them and how would they feel if those players were traded?

This is about the only reason I have left in the "keep Roy" column (the only other item is "we already have too few centers"), as I have his actual (game worn, photo matched) 2002 Preseason (he went back to Kitchener that year) jersey. I had high hopes for him a few years back. :(

This is about the only reason I have left in the "keep Roy" column (the only other item is "we already have too few centers"), as I have his actual (game worn, photo matched) 2002 Preseason (he went back to Kitchener that year) jersey. I had high hopes for him a few years back. :(

Remember the good man, remember the good.

While trading Roy, Stafford, Boyes, whoever, isn't a "new" idea, the fact that other GMs have confirmed Darcy is looking for trade kind of contrasts with Pegula's comments last week about "putting Humpty Dumpty back together" or whatever. At least they are somewhat looking to do something, though not the splash everyone hoped.

This is a key line here (the bolded).

I don't know about anyone else on this forum, but when I read that I first thought that these two are not on the same page at all.

If that's the case, then something needs to happen.

With DR's comments about "no imminent trade" and that sorta thing is either a coverup or he feels that his job is safe enough not to do anything.

Anyone in the NHL would probably take Roy or Staff, but not at the price being asked by DR.

I'm eager to see what IS done, the magnitude not so much, but just the shear fact of an effort from the front office. It's their first full year and it's one to forget so far. Pegula and Black need to look at things and see that something needs to be done. I would love to be a fly on the wall just one day to hear a conversation between them (as it relates to this); I really hope Buffalo is sellers and gets picks and prospects like Toronto(I think) did a few years back.

No, you're right. I don't know what came over me. Obviously Roy and Stafford and Gaustad and Hecht are on the brink of leading Buffalo to its first Stanley Cup Championship ever. It's so clear that even a blind man could see it.

We should absolutely stay the course. I don't care if there are zero signs of life in our franchise at any level. Change is bad. it's scary. Plus, some fans own jerseys with the names of some of our players on them and how would they feel if those players were traded?

Thank you. Thank you for showing me the light.

Either the glass is overflowing or its broken for you, huh?

Statistically, the Sabres have a 4% chance of making the postseason. Four. Percent. Professional sports teams, or any business really, can't bank on something that would essentially be a statistical accident if it came true. The best thing to do for the franchise is sell off our expiring contracts for picks and try to free up some cap room by trading contracts that go beyond this year, but aren't in the team's plans beyond next season. This doesn't mean tank, as I'm sure we'll get some players back in return along the way to plug holes in the roster for the remainder of the season. I don't believe the roster as a whole is so bad and hopeless we need a complete rebuild a la the Oilers, but I think a Philadelphia-style overhaul is definitely in order.

Edit: Even if we got ZERO players in return, our lineup for the rest of the year could look something like:

Vanek-Adam-Pominville

Ennis-Leino-Kassian

Gerbe-McCormick/Chewy-Stafford

Tropp/McCormick-Ellis-Kaleta

Myers-McNabb

Ehrhoff-Regehr

Sekera-Weber

Miller

Enroth

Obviously it's not ideal (and no, I didn't put much thought into the actual line combos, just filling in bodies) but it's also not really worse than we've had for the majority of the season. But we'd also have an extra 4-5 mid round picks, some spare cap room, and hopefully a center prospect ready to go for next season.

Bob McKenzie said something very similar on NHL Network. He also mentioned Leino, Leopold, Regher and Miller. He said the biggest isses with all the players is that they have big contracts and some time left while they are all underperforming. He even went as far as saying Regier was going to have a hard time getting the proper value for those players until they start performing.

To paraphase what he said on Miller specifically, 'Who wants to trade for a goalie, having his worst professional season with two years of $6.25 under contract?'

I saw his report too. He also said that if the Sabres' losing streak goes to double digits, changes will HAVE to be made. We'll see...

Archived