Stafford needs to go

Eleven

If Stafford were consistently close to an opposing player this comment might have merit. I've seen FAR too many non-controlled passes when he was by himself to believe self preservation has anything to do with it.

I'm not disagreeing at all, just had to throw in how dumbfounded I am by how poorly the Sabres pass a puck, and how frustrating it can be for a player of some talent, which I'm sure we agree Stafford is however well he seems to hide it, to deal with consistently poor passing.

My own personal opinion though, is that he's lazy and doesn't feel like reaching for it. Whatever the reason might be.

So the Stafford thread is still going strong eh, haven't checked in for a bit...... I wonder how quickly it'll blow up once then season starts..... Anyone actually think we'll be "good" this year.?

Nope, I don't think he'll be what anyone here would consider good. But I do still hope he scores between 55 and 75 points and the Sabres win the cup no matter how long the odds are.

I'm not disagreeing at all, just had to throw in how dumbfounded I am by how poorly the Sabres pass a puck

I'm not dumbfounded by their lack of passing skills. I expect it. It's not like Paul Coffey and Adam Oates are on the team.

I'm not dumbfounded by their lack of passing skills. I expect it. It's not like Paul Coffey and Adam Oates are on the team.

Coffey and oates..... Sounds like a delicious breakfast ;)

Nope, I don't think he'll be what anyone here would consider good. But I do still hope he scores between 55 and 75 points and the Sabres win the cup no matter how long the odds are.

I'd take between 55-75 goals, the next pavel bure, or the second coming of mike bossy. Pretty much anything more than we've seen the past couple of seasons would work too. But I think he'll be a whipping boy for a while

So the Stafford thread is still going strong eh, haven't checked in for a bit...... I wonder how quickly it'll blow up once then season starts..... Anyone actually think we'll be "good" this year.?

Oh, it's going to be full speed ahead! With Hecht retiring, all that momentumis going to shift directly onto Stafford. Drew better hope Leino stays healthy.

Oh, it's going to be full speed ahead! With Hecht retiring, all that momentumis going to shift directly onto Stafford. Drew better hope Leino stays healthy.

Most have already given up on Stafford and Lieno has solidified his status as a horrible mistake. The focus will be on Miller and Vanek and why are they still here.

Most have already given up on Stafford and Lieno has solidified his status as a horrible mistake. The focus will be on Miller and Vanek and why are they still here.

They're still here because everyone knows they'll both be available for a 2nd rounder next march.

I'm betting ol' T-Pegs won't be happy with how this fares, as I'm sure he doesn't know enough about hockey to understand why his two stars will end up walking for nothing or next to nothing.

I'm sure he's expecting either a decent trade with good players coming in, or he's expecting one or both to sign an extension.

I understand that the frustration with Stafford, however, if you dismiss last season, he has been as productive as any second line winger in the league.

If Darcy traded today for a 27 year old winger who in his last full season scored 20 goals and had over 100 hits and was going to be paid 2nd or 3rd line money for two more years a lot of people on this board would be singing DR!s praises.

I understand that the frustration with Stafford, however, if you dismiss last season, he has been as productive as any second line winger in the league.

If Darcy traded today for a 27 year old winger who in his last full season scored 20 goals and had over 100 hits and was going to be paid 2nd or 3rd line money for two more years a lot of people on this board would be singing DR!s praises.

Isn't part of the excitement around picking up a player like you described in a trade is that the player will find new life in a new situation. We can all dismiss last season, what can't be dismissed is the previous six seasons of inconsistency and unmotivated play.

One of the worst faults of this franchise is the chasing of a players talent that just never manifests itself. From Connolly and Roy to Stafford and Leino. Sometimes you just have to stop chasing what's not there and move on from a player.

Isn't part of the excitement around picking up a player like you described in a trade is that the player will find new life in a new situation. We can all dismiss last season, what can't be dismissed is the previous six seasons of inconsistency and unmotivated play.

One of the worst faults of this franchise is the chasing of a players talent that just never manifests itself. From Connolly and Roy to Stafford and Leino. Sometimes you just have to stop chasing what's not there and move on from a player.

My point is that Stafford has produced like a second line player and is getting paid as such the next two years. As long as he is not counted on to be a top 4 forward, I think he can be a valuable piece and definitely worth more then he would get on market right now.

My point is that Stafford has produced like a second line player and is getting paid as such the next two years. As long as he is not counted on to be a top 4 forward, I think he can be a valuable piece and definitely worth more then he would get on market right now.

Can't argue the statistical argument one bit.

But that statistical argument begs the question: how much better could he be if he wasn't so lazy. Players in a leadership role who coast most of the time and only turn it on when motivated, are an overall liability and a bad example for the rest of the team. Give me a 3rd/4th line player who goes all out all the time and is maxed out as a 3rd/4th line player vs. a 1st/2nd line player who is relegated to a 3rd/4th line role because he doesn't seem to give a crap to be any thing more.

GO SABRES!!!

So he is getting paid to be a top 4 forward and that should be OK but shouldn't be counted on as a top 4 forward? This is part of the Sabres problem, players like Stafford and Leino getting paid beyond their true stations.

+1

So he is getting paid to be a top 4 forward and that should be OK but shouldn't be counted on as a top 4 forward? This is part of the Sabres problem, players like Stafford and Leino getting paid beyond their true stations.

He is not getting top 4 money, $4 million per is going to be 5 or 6 money this year and 7 through 9 money every year after.

He is not getting top 4 money, $4 million per is going to be 5 or 6 money this year and 7 through 9 money every year after.

He makes a million less than a James Neal and actually makes what Pascal Dupuis will make over the next two seasons. Drew Stafford is nowhere near the level of players that James and Dupuis are. A team like the Penguins are successful because they get good players under good contracts and not overpaying mediocre players like Stafford and Leino.

He makes a million less than a James Neal and actually makes what Pascal Dupuis will make over the next two seasons. Drew Stafford is nowhere near the level of players that James and Dupuis are. A team like the Penguins are successful because they get good players under good contracts and not overpaying mediocre players like Stafford and Leino.

If Drew played on Malkin's line and he would be more productive than Neal.

A) Pittsburgh is successful because they won a lottery to get 89

B) Dupuis and Stafford are about equal in their roles on the team and contract is similar

C) Neal.'s contract befits a number 3 forward as it should

Think you made my point

A) The Penguins have made a ton of moves since drafting Crosby in 2005. It are those moves that separates the Penguins from other teams.

B) Stafford has nowhere near the value as Dupris has to the Penguins.

C) Neal has production that rivals Vanek not Drew Stafford. $5 mil for a 40 goal scorer is about as good a deal as a team can hope for.

It seems your heart just isn't into this conversation, you seem to be just throwing crap against the wall hoping something sticks.

If Drew played on Malkin's line and he would be more productive than Neal.

Not even if the other team played with the net empty. Neal has been a legit NHL goal scorer since he broke into the league back in 2008.

Edited by deluca67