Stafford needs to go

Eleven

This drum beat should continue everyday until he is gone... Just got a little tired of posting during off season. We should rotate every day one of posting that line.... How pathetic and he seems to have promoted Grigo's attitude too... Nuts.

Yeah, because the coaching staff is reading this thread. :)

Yeah, because the coaching staff is reading this thread. :)

No, but the press is and they will pick up on it and keep driving TPegs staff and Darcy nuts.... Get 'er done. :devil:

I'm going to hop on the pro-stafford bandwagon two-seater. There is still room for a few more???

A few more, try an empty bus... :bag:

Edited by North Buffalo

Not impressed with Stafford at all. I think it's time we move him and his high contract.

Stafford needs to go to Minny in a Vanek deal. We could use Minny's 2014 1st rounder and 2015's 2nd and 3rd :P

I highly doubt Minny is going to trade for Vanek. And if we trade Vanek which god I hope we don't because who is going to do most of the scoring? If we trade for 1st rounders I would much rather have the 2015's draft choices. That's when Connor McDavid is available to draft. Yes the kid is that good. Buffalo has to do everything in it's power to acquire the kid. Even if they have to unload all their picks that year for him.

Just enough not to gain a top 3 pick...

The horrible truth. Drew Stafford will never help us win a Stanley Cup but he'll always do just enough to keep us from a Top 5 draft pick. Pretty much the ultimate Regier player.

I completely forgot that Drew Stafford existed over the summer and only remembered when yesterday's game happened.

There is not one single Sabre that I enjoy watching less than Drew Stafford. He sucks and he doesn't care all that much about hockey. And we know the Sabres have had their chances to trade him.

Funny with all of this Staffbash going on in regards to last nights game and just in general Brian Duff said he had a noteworthy performance. I never watched the game so I won't judge him on his past. Anyone have any thoughts as to what Duff may have noticed that all of you missed ?

Funny with all of this Staffbash going on in regards to last nights game and just in general Brian Duff said he had a noteworthy performance. I never watched the game so I won't judge him on his past. Anyone have any thoughts as to what Duff may have noticed that all of you missed ?

His paycheck?

he played well

The horrible truth. Drew Stafford will never help us win a Stanley Cup but he'll always do just enough to keep us from a Top 5 draft pick. Pretty much the ultimate Regier player.

I completely forgot that Drew Stafford existed over the summer and only remembered when yesterday's game happened.

There is not one single Sabre that I enjoy watching less than Drew Stafford. He sucks and he doesn't care all that much about hockey. And we know the Sabres have had their chances to trade him.

Not since his contract extension.

Source? Eklund doesn't count.

Think it was Josh Rimer, actually. Not exactly Dreger or McKenzie, no, but better than Eklund at least :lol:

It may not have been Rimer, too long ago to be sure. It was talked about on a Sabres forum elsewhere and I don't remember it being shot down as BS like things normally are.

Edit: seriously, there's always some GM who will make a trade. Scott Gomez was traded. Scott. Gomez.

Edited by TrueBluePhD

There was that rumor coming out of DC last year. Did that involve Miller or Stafford?

There was the insane Miller-for-Ovechkin rumor, but it wasn't credible.

Think it was Josh Rimer, actually. Not exactly Dreger or McKenzie, no, but better than Eklund at least :lol:

It may not have been Rimer, too long ago to be sure. It was talked about on a Sabres forum elsewhere and I don't remember it being shot down as BS like things normally are.

Edit: seriously, there's always some GM who will make a trade. Scott Gomez was traded. Scott. Gomez.

I agree that it only takes 1 bonehead GM, but I think Stafford's contract makes him untradeable unless DR sweetens the pot. And it's worth pointing out that there are tons of totally baseless trade rumors every year around the deadline.

OTOH, Burmistrov ended up taking his toys and going back to the KHL, so WPG might have seen the writing on the wall and wanted to get something for him, so it's possible -- but I think only if DR had agreed to keep some of Stafford's salary.

I agree that it only takes 1 bonehead GM, but I think Stafford's contract makes him untradeable unless DR sweetens the pot. And it's worth pointing out that there are tons of totally baseless trade rumors every year around the deadline.

OTOH, Burmistrov ended up taking his toys and going back to the KHL, so WPG might have seen the writing on the wall and wanted to get something for him, so it's possible -- but I think only if DR had agreed to keep some of Stafford's salary.

Yea, best I could find as far as an initial source was Gary Lawless of the Winnipeg Free Press and Ken Wiebe of the Winnipeg Sun. Whether they're legit or simply the Winnipeg equivalent of Bucky Gleason, I do not know.

That said, Scott Gomez was traded, and his contract was far more "untradeable" than Stafford's could ever dream of being--he was making $7.35MM and the cap was $56.8MM the year he was traded. Regarding Burmistrov, his agent had told Winnipeg that he wanted out and requested a trade, Winnipeg just didn't move him for whatever reason. Maybe they thought he was bluffing about the KHL? Although I think they still have his rights if he ever wants to come back to the NHL, so if he lights it up in Russia maybe the return will eventually be better.

Stafford has two years left at $4 million - not ridiculous for a 20 goal scorer, which, last year notwithstanding, he is.

He's hardly a desirable commodity but he's not untradable.

There's probably a dozen other underachievers with big contracts who we could get for him: David Booth, Ales Hemsky, etc., and he could probably be dumped any time for a middling prospect or pick.

The issue here is not that no one will take him, but that Darcy won't take what he's worth.

Yea, best I could find as far as an initial source was Gary Lawless of the Winnipeg Free Press and Ken Wiebe of the Winnipeg Sun. Whether they're legit or simply the Winnipeg equivalent of Bucky Gleason, I do not know.

That said, Scott Gomez was traded, and his contract was far more "untradeable" than Stafford's could ever dream of being--he was making $7.35MM and the cap was $56.8MM the year he was traded. Regarding Burmistrov, his agent had told Winnipeg that he wanted out and requested a trade, Winnipeg just didn't move him for whatever reason. Maybe they thought he was bluffing about the KHL? Although I think they still have his rights if he ever wants to come back to the NHL, so if he lights it up in Russia maybe the return will eventually be better.

Well, Gomez had accumulated a much better NHL resume than Stafford has, but you're right that it was pretty shocking that the Habs took him (and btw gave the Rangers McDonagh, who is now one of their best defensemen, in the deal) in trade. I think Gomez was probably viewed (at least by the Habs) as having greater upside than Stafford would be viewed as having now.

Bottom line is that while you're probably right that the Gomez trade was more egregious than a Stafford trade would be, I also think that was a lightning strike that can't be counted on to happen again.

Stafford has two years left at $4 million - not ridiculous for a 20 goal scorer, which, last year notwithstanding, he is.

He's hardly a desirable commodity but he's not untradable.

There's probably a dozen other underachievers with big contracts who we could get for him: David Booth, Ales Hemsky, etc., and he could probably be dumped any time for a middling prospect or pick.

The issue here is not that no one will take him, but that Darcy won't take what he's worth.

Well, I did say "untradeable unless DR sweetens the pot." Pot-sweetening can certainly include taking on someone else's contract albatross.

And while you're right that his NHL resume says he's a 20-goal scorer, his play has been in steep decline since he signed his extension. Last year was not an aberration -- it was a continuation of his previous season, which was a disaster until the final month of the season, when he (in a classic loser move) accumulated a good amount of garbage-time stats).

I think there is NFW that anyone gives DR a good prospect or a first-rounder or even a 2nd-rounder for Stafford straight up.