GDT: Sabres at Senators 11/5/11 7:00PM

spndnchz

Enroth is making me very happy. Good road win.

Glad Ruff went with the better goalie rigjt now. As for pissing Miller off. Too bad! Don't like it then play like a $6.25 million goalie.

I wonder if Enroth ever throws his mates under the bus like Miller does? They sure look like they genuinely like playing for Enroth and that means a lot.

Good win!

Miller is in net.

Liar.

20-12

Not bad...

I like the new broadcast team. Time to change that too..

I don't understand the RJ hate. I still love Rick.

Not to start a new controversy, but in the last four periods, the Roy line has outperformed the Adam line.

That's not a controversy, because we can use both lines in one game. It's a good thing for us when lines are fighting to be number 1 :thumbsup:

Wow we are FLAT tonight and I don't care what myers brings offensively a 6'7" d man should not get schooled like that. Take the body man, hasn't reghier taught you anything!

That's a new one.

Please play miller!!!! I feel like an idiot for thinking enroth could ever lead this team

I think we need miller now

Awww? Too much of a baby to hear the truth? Pick a wagon, kiddo.

You are the one that is hopping band wagons. Please think before you post.

Notes from the game:

-WOOHOO!

-Regehr defines the word beast.

-Leino finally settling down and playing well.

-Leino Roy Stafford line is dangerous.

-Gragnani played a pretty bad game. I would have preferred that Weber got more of a shot to earn a spot in the lineup.

-Enroth played a solid game on the most part, with a couple mistakes and some good luck.

EDIT: How could I forget to praise #42, who had another great game? The crosscheck after the goal was brilliant.

Awww? Too much of a baby to hear the truth? Pick a wagon kiddo

Well, I'll pick a wagon there kiddo.....

Enroth wins it in a shoot out. Continuing his winning ways and continues to start in net over Miller, who, at this time is clearly not the better goalie.

I say stick with Enroth, give the kid the needed games to garner experience. I'd actually like to see him play 40 games or so this season.

From John Vogl

OTTAWA — Let the goaltending controversy officially begin in Buffalo.

After a week of chatter in Sabreland about whether Jhonas Enroth should supplant Ryan Miller in the Buffalo net, the rookie did just that Saturday night in Ottawa. Enroth started for the second straight night, a shocking appearance that altered the schedule coach Lindy Ruff had set up earlier in the week.

How shocking? For the first time in nearly five years, Miller sat out back-to-back games while healthy. He hadn't done so since Jan. 30-Feb. 1, 2007, when Ruff gave the goaltender extra rest upon returning from his start in the NHL All-Star Game.

Enroth made 25 saves through regulation and overtime, then he stopped four more in the six-round shootout to lift the Sabres to a 3-2 victory. Derek Roy scored the winner for the Sabres, who won their second straight after a two-game losing streak.

Miller got off the team bus and walked alone into the Sabres' dressing room in Scotiabank Place with an angry look on his face. About an hour later, it was easy to tell why.

Enroth led the Sabres onto the ice for the pregame warm-up, which is always the duty of the starting goaltender. Soon after, he was officially announced as a starter for the fourth time this season.

"He's been going well. I thought he deserved it. He's given us a lot of good efforts. We won. He's obviously fresh," Ruff said. "We haven't played very much. I just gave him the nod, a little bone for as well as he's been playing."

Enroth wins it in a shoot out. Continuing his winning ways and continues to start in net over Miller, who, at this time is clearly not the better goalie.

I say stick with Enroth, give the kid the needed games to garner experience. I'd actually like to see him play 40 games or so this season.

You two should get a room.......... :thumbsup:

Decent job by Enroth tonight. He looked bad on both goals tonight but also made some solid saves, just like in the shootout. The Sabres should come back with Miller on Tuesday and then split the weekend games giving Miller the start on the road in Boston. Re-assess at that point. Enroth should get regular starts (not every game) until his game slips.

I was hoping Stafford could put together back to back strong performances and was disappointed.

Ottawa is going to be better faster than people anticipated. I'm not saying they are a playoff team, I just wouldn't be surprised if they were in the mix towards the end of the year.

Was it the ice or did they forget to freeze the pucks? The Sabres had a horrible time controlling the puck and completing simple passes.

This weekends games weren't the prettiest or most technically sound games the Sabres will play this season, they did manage four points against two team that got tremendous goal-tending performances. A gritty four points earned, well done.

A tip of the cap to Lindy Ruff. He made a tough decision I never thought he would make. Win or lose it was a good decision and I hope it is is a sign of a change in how Lindy handles ice time.

Gerbe was an absolute beast on the sabres 2nd goal. If everyone on this team approached the game like him we'd be scary good.

I can't apologize to Gerbe enough. Mid-December of last year I was convinced the Gerbe experiment had failed. I saw him punching his ticket for a life in the minors but, damn, he proved me wrong. That kid is just going to keep getting better and better.

GO SABRES!!!

did anyone else notice how Pissed Vanek was about the blatant high stick to his mouth near the end of OT? I especially liked his response... in his shootout attempt he had a :censored: you all shot/goal and then off the ice he went... loved it!

Who starts in goal on Tuesday and why?

Enroth is making me very happy. Good road win.

Glad Ruff went with the better goalie rigjt now. As for pissing Miller off. Too bad! Don't like it then play like a $6.25 million goalie.

I wonder if Enroth ever throws his mates under the bus like Miller does? They sure look like they genuinely like playing for Enroth and that means a lot.

Good win!

Just curious, do you have an example of Miller throwing his teammates under the bus? Maybe I'm just hearing things differently but I have never hear him call out individual skaters or positions (defense/forward) without continuing on to say that he also needs to be better. I could care less if he doesn't get up in front of the media and take 100% of the blame on himself for a loss. Frankly, I find it refreshing that he at least faces the media even after a tough game rather than slipping out the back door.

As for the rest of your points, completely agree. Enroth has been a breath of fresh air for this club. His start has certainly made the case, for me, that he should be getting the same amount of starts that Biron was getting back when he was backing up Miller.

I think that this has a very very low chance of happening.

The maturity of this board worries me.

What a riot! Oh man! You split my sides with this gem!

Morning after Musings

1. Regehr delivered a weeks worth of Caruba collisions last night.

2. I'm stunned by the decision to go with Enroth.

3. Vanek took a beating last night. Won't surprise me to see him on the injury report.

4. Ottawa has exactly three dangerous players (Spezza, Michalek, and Karlsson) and used all their bullets in the shootout. That made the Boyes goal and then the subsequent stop on Karlsson so big. While Ottawa was turning to their shoot out dregs, Buffalo was rolling out Pominville and Roy. Sabres were clearly the deeper team.

5. I really like Michalek and Karlsson. Those guys are going to be good for a long time.

6. That goal that Leopold cashed was all Gerbe and showed the heart of a champion. Gerbe gets flattened, pops back up and steals the puck. Brings it quickly to the goal mouth and gets a couple of wacks at it before Leopold gets rewarded for being in the right place at the right time.

7. Enroth looked terrible on the four goals he allowed. First time I can remember him being so badly beaten.

8. Danny Gare is an upgrade, Kevin Sylvester was decent.

9. Roy Stafford and Leino were a dangerous line last night although they got killed, and I mean killed, on face offs.

10. The Gaustad line matched up against the Spezza line last night very effectively. Spezza did not have an SOG until very late. Sure they got the Michalek goal, but that was more a bench/coaching goal than on that line.

Just one more

11. The Sabres inability to get blueline shots on goal is getting frustrating. Case in point last night, Roy hits a defender on the PP and ends up taking a penalty because he had to defend a two-on-one SHG attempt.

Decent job by Enroth tonight. He looked bad on both goals tonight but also made some solid saves, just like in the shootout. The Sabres should come back with Miller on Tuesday and then split the weekend games giving Miller the start on the road in Boston. Re-assess at that point. Enroth should get regular starts (not every game) until his game slips.

I disagree. At best you can say at this moment is, "may come back". Enroth will be rested. We are in unchartered territory here.

Can't help but think:

1. Sabres have got to start scoring more than 2 goals a game

2. Gerbe does have the heart of a champion. Plus he has great hockey sense. Wish we had 20 Gerbes

3. Kevin Sylvester is a good play by play man but his voice reminds me of Burt Ward as Robin the Boy Wonder

4. I liked what I saw out of Cory Tropp. He nailed someone to the boards but good.

5. Did my heart good to see Reghier crush, kill, destroy.

6. Enroth's nickname should be "Mr. Freeze" because he has ice water running through his veins.

Archived