GDT: Sabres at Senators 11/5/11 7:00PM

spndnchz

To some of the points... I can deal with Sylvester/Gare after RJ and Neale finally retire for good. They're good homer announcers, and Sylvester will improve. He's green, but he's not as green as he was last year. As for the whole Enroth/Miller thing. Last night proved that there is something "more" going on with Miller than a weak outing. Whether its an injury or a personal matter (my choice), it forced Lindy's hand last night. My personal bet is that his marriage is either falling apart or taking too much from his hockey. Hell, she may have a bun in the oven. We just don't know, and probably won't know for a while. If Miller is able to shake it, he's gonna come back ON FIRE.

As for the game itself, Enroth was not as sharp, but he still found a way to hold on. The team looked better in front of him too. I'm very pleased with the victory.

I disagree. At best you can say at this moment is, "may come back". Enroth will be rested. We are in unchartered territory here.

I said "should" as in that is my opinion. I feel Miller "should" get the start.

The best thing that is happening here is that Lindy should now have a higher level in comfort in Enroth. Whatever "plan" Lindy had for his goaltenders going into the season should be sitting in the recycle bin. He should be taking it week by week and re-evaluating the situation at the start of each week.

I would play Miller against Winnipeg unless something in practice tells Lindy otherwise. The decision on the weekend games should be based on how Miller plays against Winnipeg. If Miller comes back strong than I want him to start against the Bruins on the road leaving Enroth with another shot at the Sens at home on Friday.

The following week they have four games, 2 home and 2 away. There should be no set rotation for those games until after Lindy has a good look at both goalies this upcoming week.

Did anyone notice how Sylvester started the game by mispronouncing Gaustad's name(He was saying the first part like you would say Ga as in Lady Ga-Ga) several times. Then somewhere in midstream, he changed it to the way everyone says it.

While I am on the topic of the broadcast, Gare's background noises are annoying. From WOW, OH!, etc..., someone needs to tell him he is not a fan in the stands watching the game.

Regehr's hitting is so old time hockey--tremendous. And I expected that. What I never paid attention to while he was out west was how excellent his positioning is. He makes it so hard for a forward to get where they want to for a clean shot. Best Sabre defenseman I've seen since Ramsey? I'd like to think this will make an impression on the kids on this team.

Did anyone notice how Sylvester started the game by mispronouncing Gaustad's name(He was saying the first part like you would say Ga as in Lady Ga-Ga) several times. Then somewhere in midstream, he changed it to the way everyone says it.

While I am on the topic of the broadcast, Gare's background noises are annoying. From WOW, OH!, etc..., someone needs to tell him he is not a fan in the stands watching the game.

Love Gare--but yeah, did notice the background noise. Sounds like the clown that does the Red Wings color.

I have been very happy with Sylvester--watch NHL Network (Kathryn Tappen :thumbsup: )if you don't have Center Ice to see what is going on in other broadcasts.

I am starting to like how the top three lines are shaping up. Unsure where Kaleta, and more importantly, Ennis go upon return not to mention if Hecht can.

Was the Myers/MAG a set pairing or did that just come about due to bad changes? Don't get that one at all.

Ehrhoff HAS to be at the point on the PP. They invested a fortune in him for that. And I am not a fan of Roy in his current role on the PP.

Vanek will not last the season if he continues to take this pounding nite-in nite-out.

For a team supposedly built on speed, Gerbe is the only one that flat out dazzles with his skating and effort. (Though Roy seems to be rounding back into form).

Never thought I would say this: Boyes is looking really good.

A few morning after musings:

- Regher continues to be a monster in his own zone. I sure wish the rest of the D would take notes.

- The Leino-Roy-Stafford line is looking a lot more potent. I attribute it primarily to Roy getting healthy.

- Vanek continues to take a beating out there, but it seems he has to to be effective out there. (!)

- Brad Boyes is finally looking comfortable out there and throwing the body around a little bit. :w00t:

- Gerbe is so impressive with his skating and drive out there. Seems to have non-stop determination to get the puck and make a play

- I don't know who should be benched (there are plenty of candidates in MAG, Leo or even Myers), but I want some more grit and toughness on the backline. I want Weber.

- Finally, very surprised that Enroth got the start tonight. He looked solid if unspectacular. Interesting that Lindy goes away from his standard 'sticking to the schedule' mantra. Makes me think there is something going on behind the scenes with Miller that we don't know about. My best guess is a marriage distraction...?

I am starting to like how the top three lines are shaping up. Unsure where Kaleta, and more importantly, Ennis go upon return not to mention if Hecht can.

Was the Myers/MAG a set pairing or did that just come about due to bad changes? Don't get that one at all.

Ehrhoff HAS to be at the point on the PP. They invested a fortune in him for that. And I am not a fan of Roy in his current role on the PP.

Vanek will not last the season if he continues to take this pounding nite-in nite-out.

For a team supposedly built on speed, Gerbe is the only one that flat out dazzles with his skating and effort. (Though Roy seems to be rounding back into form).

Never thought I would say this: Boyes is looking really good.

Kaleta will be easy to place back into the lineup. Tropp goes back down and Kaleta gets his RW spot back. If Gerbe and Boyes continue to have chemistry Kaleta goes back where he belongs, on the 4th line. But if the team stumbles, he'll be reunited with Goose and Gerbe.

When Ennis is healthy there is going to be a tough decision (assuming the team is doing well). Leino is improved playing on Roy's left. And Gerbe is playing well on Goose's left. Ennis could find himself in the pressbox waiting for another plyer to end up in the doghouse.

Amazes me how Enroth gives up only 2 goals on the road after 1 the night before yet some folks are like, eh? Just an ok performance. Jeez, if the guy continues to give up only 1 or 2, he's not only going to be the starter...he will lead this club deep into May maybe June.

Morning after Musings

1. Regehr delivered a weeks worth of Caruba collisions last night.

2. I'm stunned by the decision to go with Enroth.

3. Vanek took a beating last night. Won't surprise me to see him on the injury report.

4. Ottawa has exactly three dangerous players (Spezza, Michalek, and Karlsson) and used all their bullets in the shootout. That made the Boyes goal and then the subsequent stop on Karlsson so big. While Ottawa was turning to their shoot out dregs, Buffalo was rolling out Pominville and Roy. Sabres were clearly the deeper team.

5. I really like Michalek and Karlsson. Those guys are going to be good for a long time.

6. That goal that Leopold cashed was all Gerbe and showed the heart of a champion. Gerbe gets flattened, pops back up and steals the puck. Brings it quickly to the goal mouth and gets a couple of wacks at it before Leopold gets rewarded for being in the right place at the right time.

7. Enroth looked terrible on the four goals he allowed. First time I can remember him being so badly beaten.

8. Danny Gare is an upgrade, Kevin Sylvester was decent.

9. Roy Stafford and Leino were a dangerous line last night although they got killed, and I mean killed, on face offs.

10. The Gaustad line matched up against the Spezza line last night very effectively. Spezza did not have an SOG until very late. Sure they got the Michalek goal, but that was more a bench/coaching goal than on that line.

Just one more

11. The Sabres inability to get blueline shots on goal is getting frustrating. Case in point last night, Roy hits a defender on the PP and ends up taking a penalty because he had to defend a two-on-one SHG attempt.

Excellent analysis and I agree with all of it.

I especially agree with the point shot situation.

A lack of patience? Maybe a little panicking or is it something else? Excellent point by the way and noticed it myself.

May I add the inability of the Sabres to complete a successful line change for the defensive pairs that led to both regulation time goals by Ottawa. I still can't figure out why the players have an apparant propensity to lose the puck right at those moments.

Also agree on Enroth, it looks like his 5 - hole is highly suspect. Could have been an off night, but did you notice that Ottawa was gunning for it right from the get go?

I was tempted to start a new thread with this thought:

Is leino becoming Hecht 2.0?

-both can "play center" when needed

-both are overpaid

-both have decent but not great puckhandling and passing abilities (serviceable)

-both during a full season will get 40-50pts

-both seem to rather pass than shoot

-both are not overly physical players

-both should be put on the lw and left there

any feelings on this?

-both are overpaid

-both have decent but not great puckhandling and passing abilities (serviceable)

any feelings on this?

Leino should have Sedin on his jersey for the way he can control the puck along the boards. If he had a twin he'd be dangerous. :blink:

Gerbe was an absolute beast on the sabres 2nd goal. If everyone on this team approached the game like him we'd be scary good.

I want to find a still image of Gerbe gaining the puck behind the net. It was the physical embodiment of "That's MY puck, ######!"

EDIT: How could I forget to praise #42, who had another great game? The crosscheck after the goal was brilliant.

I think that was the play of the year so far. I too loved the cross check after the goal (and I noticed that Gerbe and Da Costa were going at it all night). Just outstanding.

Decent job by Enroth tonight. He looked bad on both goals tonight but also made some solid saves, just like in the shootout. The Sabres should come back with Miller on Tuesday and then split the weekend games giving Miller the start on the road in Boston. Re-assess at that point. Enroth should get regular starts (not every game) until his game slips.

I was hoping Stafford could put together back to back strong performances and was disappointed.

Ottawa is going to be better faster than people anticipated. I'm not saying they are a playoff team, I just wouldn't be surprised if they were in the mix towards the end of the year.

Was it the ice or did they forget to freeze the pucks? The Sabres had a horrible time controlling the puck and completing simple passes.

This weekends games weren't the prettiest or most technically sound games the Sabres will play this season, they did manage four points against two team that got tremendous goal-tending performances. A gritty four points earned, well done.

A tip of the cap to Lindy Ruff. He made a tough decision I never thought he would make. Win or lose it was a good decision and I hope it is is a sign of a change in how Lindy handles ice time.

Good post. I think stafford's confidence is still not where it needs to be and may have taken a hit when he missed converting the onetimer from Leino vs Calgary.

Morning after Musings

1. Regehr delivered a weeks worth of Caruba collisions last night.

2. I'm stunned by the decision to go with Enroth.

3. Vanek took a beating last night. Won't surprise me to see him on the injury report.

4. Ottawa has exactly three dangerous players (Spezza, Michalek, and Karlsson) and used all their bullets in the shootout. That made the Boyes goal and then the subsequent stop on Karlsson so big. While Ottawa was turning to their shoot out dregs, Buffalo was rolling out Pominville and Roy. Sabres were clearly the deeper team.

5. I really like Michalek and Karlsson. Those guys are going to be good for a long time.

6. That goal that Leopold cashed was all Gerbe and showed the heart of a champion. Gerbe gets flattened, pops back up and steals the puck. Brings it quickly to the goal mouth and gets a couple of wacks at it before Leopold gets rewarded for being in the right place at the right time.

7. Enroth looked terrible on the four goals he allowed. First time I can remember him being so badly beaten.

8. Danny Gare is an upgrade, Kevin Sylvester was decent.

9. Roy Stafford and Leino were a dangerous line last night although they got killed, and I mean killed, on face offs.

10. The Gaustad line matched up against the Spezza line last night very effectively. Spezza did not have an SOG until very late. Sure they got the Michalek goal, but that was more a bench/coaching goal than on that line.

Just one more

11. The Sabres inability to get blueline shots on goal is getting frustrating. Case in point last night, Roy hits a defender on the PP and ends up taking a penalty because he had to defend a two-on-one SHG attempt.

Good post, but I disagree on Gare. I think he doesn't add much as an analyst.

I disagree. At best you can say at this moment is, "may come back". Enroth will be rested. We are in unchartered territory here.

Could be. It kinda feels that way.

Can't help but think:

1. Sabres have got to start scoring more than 2 goals a game

2. Gerbe does have the heart of a champion. Plus he has great hockey sense. Wish we had 20 Gerbes

3. Kevin Sylvester is a good play by play man but his voice reminds me of Burt Ward as Robin the Boy Wonder

4. I liked what I saw out of Cory Tropp. He nailed someone to the boards but good.

5. Did my heart good to see Reghier crush, kill, destroy.

6. Enroth's nickname should be "Mr. Freeze" because he has ice water running through his veins.

Good post. #3 is outstanding.

Regehr's hitting is so old time hockey--tremendous. And I expected that. What I never paid attention to while he was out west was how excellent his positioning is. He makes it so hard for a forward to get where they want to for a clean shot. Best Sabre defenseman I've seen since Ramsey? I'd like to think this will make an impression on the kids on this team.

Good call.

Kaleta will be easy to place back into the lineup. Tropp goes back down and Kaleta gets his RW spot back. If Gerbe and Boyes continue to have chemistry Kaleta goes back where he belongs, on the 4th line. But if the team stumbles, he'll be reunited with Goose and Gerbe.

When Ennis is healthy there is going to be a tough decision (assuming the team is doing well). Leino is improved playing on Roy's left. And Gerbe is playing well on Goose's left. Ennis could find himself in the pressbox waiting for another plyer to end up in the doghouse.

Another one.

-both are overpaid

any feelings on this?

You may be right on the numbers, but Leino has much more offensive game than Hecht.

Just curious, do you have an example of Miller throwing his teammates under the bus? Maybe I'm just hearing things differently but I have never hear him call out individual skaters or positions (defense/forward) without continuing on to say that he also needs to be better.

There have been nights when he's not owned up to saying he was the reason they lost but there have lots of noghts when he's said the team in front of him were to blame. A lot of "they" but not a lot of "me" nights.

Speak for yourself Ryan. I'd much rather hear him say "this one's on me" instead of pointing fingers.

Luongo does the same thing. Implying is just as bad imo. I bet the Flyers skaters wanted to pick up Bryz after his " I suck " comments.

I think Ryan needs to only speak about his game and let the coach speak about the whole team.

I don't think he endears himself to the boys whereas I have a feeling Enroth is more likely to do so.

Don't get me wrong though, everyone enjoys the win bit part of me thinks they enjoy winning for Enroth more, if that makes sense. Just a feeling I get.

And then this from the Buffalo News,' One player told The News on Saturday the Sabres are playing harder for Enroth than they have for Miller. '

My GD Gamecenter went down. I'm assuming it's now 1-1?

This happened to me as well.

This is exactly the kind of game this team squeaks out at the last minute.

Outstanding foresight.

Boyes looks likes there's no pressure on him. Another few games like that and he may will himself into a contributor on this team.

I think it's because he's dropped to #3 or #4 on the shitlist.

The maturity of this board worries me.

:doh: :sick: :death: :wallbash: :censored:

Yet another post to prove my point!

You haven't made any points. You say a lot of ###### that no one here feels like responding to because it's simply not worth it. You don't respect any other posters here, and you haven't bothered to try and earn it, so why do you expect any one to act any differently? You are a troll. Plain and simple. Whether it's intentional, or simply out of ignorance, I could care less. I've said it before and I'll say it again: You contribute nothing of value to this forum. Please kindly go away and come back when you feel like making mature posts that are deserving of mature responses. If you can't figure out how to do it, then by all means continue trolling until you are banned. It won't be long now.

You haven't made any points. You say a lot of ###### that no one here feels like responding to because it's simply not worth it. You don't respect any other posters here, and you haven't bothered to try and earn it, so why do you expect any one to act any differently? You are a troll. Plain and simple. Whether it's intentional, or simply out of ignorance, I could care less. I've said it before and I'll say it again: You contribute nothing of value to this forum. Please kindly go away and come back when you feel like making mature posts that are deserving of mature responses. If you can't figure out how to do it, then by all means continue trolling until you are banned. It won't be long now.

QFT ... lost count of how many "Snow" posts I hit "Reply" on and then just said this kid aint worth it and closed my browser.

Archived