2011-2012 Amerks Thread

LabattBlue

From Matthew Coller of WGR on Feb 13.

http://wgr550.com/pa...ntentId=9969308

Before packing up his gear in Buffalo, Adam talked with Sabres head coach Lindy Ruff.

“They just told me they wanted me to play,” he said. “I wasn't playing very many minutes up there, I had kind of been struggling on the score sheet, so he said he wanted me to come down here and play the power play that I'm used to playing and play the big minutes I'm used to playing.”

Why did he lose those minutes? Did Ruff explain why he was relegated to the fourth line?

“No,” he said under his breath.

Ruff wouldn't say either. All the Sabres' coach would let on was if Adam performed in Rochester, he would be back in Buffalo soon. “It's up to him,” Ruff said before Saturday night's loss to the Tampa Bay Lightning

That's exactly what I was thinking of. To be clear, I think Adam earned his gradual demotion through his own play....but it's still on the coaching staff to make sure that player (particularly a rookie) knows what is going on and what is expected of him.

Before packing up his gear in Buffalo, Adam talked with Sabres head coach Lindy Ruff.

“They just told me they wanted me to play,” he said. “I wasn't playing very many minutes up there, I had kind of been struggling on the score sheet, so he said he wanted me to come down here and play the power play that I'm used to playing and play the big minutes I'm used to playing.”

Why did he lose those minutes? Did Ruff explain why he was relegated to the fourth line?

Ruff wouldn't say either. All the Sabres' coach would let on was if Adam performed in Rochester, he would be back in Buffalo soon. “It's up to him,” Ruff said before Saturday night's loss to the Tampa Bay Lightning

edit: ha spndchz found it too. Chz ok we can agree it's not all Lindy's fault, but Adam is definitely lost. Maybe we can point to Rolston now, which would support Lindy - two coaches, still lost. As I've said earlier, I just think he hit a wall. I think we get the old Adam back next October and he'll be more mature and have a better understanding of what it takes physically and mentally to be a pro. ie: Scary Gary Camp (but hasn't it been proven vitamins are unnecessary?)

Didn't need to find. It's just one of the things on my list entitled "Truths that need to be brought up over and over again to beat down the bull sh!t. Prolly come in handy when double d comes back with the "I stayed away so as not to hurt you fragile children with my Carnac abilities."

The full article still isn't a flattering portrait of Ruff.

edit: ha spndchz found it too. Chz ok we can agree it's not all Lindy's fault, but Adam is definitely lost. Maybe we can point to Rolston now, which would support Lindy - two coaches, still lost. As I've said earlier, I just think he hit a wall. I think we get the old Adam back next October and he'll be more mature and have a better understanding of what it takes physically and mentally to be a pro. ie: Scary Gary Camp (but hasn't it been proven vitamins are unnecessary?)

Is it crazy to think you'd want your coach to talk to his youngest players A LOT? They sent him down after being demoted all the way down to the fourth line and all he got was "we want you to get more playing time"? Adam's version of how this went down is still pretty rough.

Is it crazy to think you'd want your coach to talk to his youngest players A LOT? They sent him down after being demoted all the way down to the fourth line and all he got was "we want you to get more playing time"? Adam's version of how this went down is still pretty rough.

And only one side of it. If Ruff was the problem, then why hasn't being back in Rochester revived him? Rolston must being an a**hole too.

And only one side of it. If Ruff was the problem, then why hasn't being back in Rochester revived him? Rolston must being an a**hole too.

My best guess is that he's all screwed up mentally. He finished last year as the AHL Rookie of the Year and started this year playing on the top line for his NHL team. He got off to a good enough start that he was invited to the All-Star Game Skills Competition for rookies, before being demoted to his team's fourth line and finally right back to the minor leagues. Your head would be spinning too.

“They just told me they wanted me to play,” said Adam. “I wasn't playing very many minutes up there, I had kind of been struggling on the score sheet, so he said he wanted me to come down here and play the power play that I'm used to playing and play the big minutes I'm used to playing.”

He had 0 pts in 20 games people! Slowly works his way down the depth chart until he was playing less than ten minutes. He got sent down the same time Kassian came up for McCormick. LR said when asked what it would take for him to come back "It's up to him". Can we just quit the Adam convo now? (not that u have to) He doesn't support any LR takes the whatever out of a player argument.

Adam - 10 goals

Boyes - 8

Leino - 8

Somehow those two were left on the ice. He was moved off the top line after only 7 games of no production, in which the team was 5 - 2.

The more discussions there are today, the more I'm sick of Ruff and want him gone.

My best guess is that he's all screwed up mentally. He finished last year as the AHL Rookie of the Year and started this year playing on the top line for his NHL team. He got off to a good enough start that he was invited to the All-Star Game Skills Competition for rookies, before being demoted to his team's fourth line and finally right back to the minor leagues. Your head would be spinning too.

Read Chz's explanation! He was slowly demoted and slowly started losing minutes. His production dipped on the first line. It didn't get sparked, and he didnt have a point in 20 games+! Then Ruff and Regier (rightfully) sent him to the minors so that he could play bigger minutes and hopefully re-ignite his spark and game. Didn't work out.

He was invited to the All Star competition bc they needed rookies for the skills competition, and there weren't many to choose from...

...Maybe we can point to Rolston now, which would support Lindy - two coaches, still lost.

This is important to remember, thank you for reminding us. I can easily go into Lindy rants, have many times, but this is the kind of evidence that shuts me up.

Read Chz's explanation! He was slowly demoted and slowly started losing minutes. His production dipped on the first line. It didn't get sparked, and he didnt have a point in 20 games+! Then Ruff and Regier (rightfully) sent him to the minors so that he could play bigger minutes and hopefully re-ignite his spark and game. Didn't work out.

He was invited to the All Star competition bc they needed rookies for the skills competition, and there weren't many to choose from...

I know that his production dipped. He was 21 years old entering this season. Guys his age aren't consistent. Even when he started hot, I remember posting something to the effect that we couldn't count on him to keep it up because guys his age (and most NHL players really) don't stay that hot. So it's not like no one could have possibly seen his production decline coming.

21/22 year olds also aren't near their peak maturity as human beings. That's where the coaching should come in. Whatever the Sabres did with Luke Adam this year, it didn't work. I hope they can get him turned around.

I know that his production dipped. He was 21 years old entering this season. Guys his age aren't consistent. Even when he started hot, I remember posting something to the effect that we couldn't count on him to keep it up because guys his age (and most NHL players really) don't stay that hot. So it's not like no one could have possibly seen his production decline coming.

21/22 year olds also aren't near their peak maturity as human beings. That's where the coaching should come in. Whatever the Sabres did with Luke Adam this year, it didn't work. I hope they can get him turned around.

I agree with the bolded part. possibly the rest too...but definitely the bolded part.

can the sabres end down enroth, ennis, coho, gerbe, and kaleta then too. I think these players wouldn't need to clear waivers either.

Enroth, Ennis, and Hodgson yes. Gerbe's been waiver eligible for a year now and Kaleta for 3 years.

As much as I like Adam, for a pro I don't think he needed a reason to get sent down. It was pretty obvious that he was hurting the top line, and wasn't the best option on the third for shutdown. Sometimes, more playing time is enough of a reason.

Adam wasn't playing all that great even when he was producing.

You could argue he should have been given a better shot when the team went in the toilet because he was just one of several guys not getting it done.

But there was nothing in his play to warrant a promotion to a better line. And there was nothing in his play to warrant keeping him up.

can the sabres end down enroth, ennis, coho, gerbe, and kaleta then too. I think these players wouldn't need to clear waivers either.

Enroth, Ennis, and Hodgson yes. Gerbe's been waiver eligible for a year now and Kaleta for 3 years.

Can they even send them down? I fully admit I don't know much about the Clear Day Rules, but between the explanation I've seen all over the place and none of those players being listed on the Amerks Clear Day roster, I don't think they could play in the remainder of the regular season or the AHL playoffs.

http://theahl.com/20...nounced-p176440

Can someone clarify?

Can they even send them down? I fully admit I don't know much about the Clear Day Rules, but between the explanation I've seen all over the place and none of those players being listed on the Amerks Clear Day roster, I don't think they could play in the remainder of the regular season or the AHL playoffs.

Can someone clarify?

My understanding is the same, if pro and not on clear day, no go. But they added the new kids from college/juniors right? Since they weren't pro...

Anyways I think you are right, that last game of the season vs Lake Erie could be a play in. I like our (AMERKS!) chances with the reinforcements.

My understanding is the same, if pro and not on clear day, no go. But they added the new kids from college/juniors right? Since they weren't pro...

Anyways I think you are right, that last game of the season vs Lake Erie could be a play in. I like our (AMERKS!) chances with the reinforcements.

The western conference's 5th through 10th spots have been a cluster for the last few weeks, so I am not putting money on anyone right now. Right now there is a 4-way tie for 5th through 8th - all four teams (Milwaukee, Houston, Peoria, Lake Erie) have 82 points.

Milwaukee's magic # is 5, and they control 8 points, and Houston's magic # is 6, and they have three games left so they control 6, so those two can clinch with no help by running the table.

The next two (Peoria and Lake Erie) have a magic # of 6 pts., but they only control 4 points each so they need to sweep their last two games and get a little help. San Antonio and Rochester are the next two spots with 81 points each, but San Antonio could run the table and clinch without help. they'll need to win out and get a little help.

So that means there are four spots up for grabs, while three teams from 5-10 could clinch by running the table. Which leaves three teams - Lake Erie, Rochester, and Peoria - who would need to win out and get some help - for the final playoff spot.

The western conference's 5th through 10th spots have been a cluster for the last few weeks, so I am not putting money on anyone right now. Right now there is a 4-way tie for 5th through 8th - all four teams (Milwaukee, Houston, Peoria, Lake Erie) have 82 points.

Milwaukee's magic # is 5, and they control 8 points, and Houston's magic # is 6, and they have three games left so they control 6, so those two can clinch with no help by running the table.

The next two (Peoria and Lake Erie) have a magic # of 6 pts., but they only control 4 points each so they need to sweep their last two games and get a little help. San Antonio and Rochester are the next two spots with 81 points each, but San Antonio could run the table and clinch without help. they'll need to win out and get a little help.

So that means there are four spots up for grabs, while three teams from 5-10 could clinch by running the table. Which leaves three teams - Lake Erie, Rochester, and Peoria - who would need to win out and get some help - for the final playoff spot.

Nice break down. Amerks have Grand Rapids tonight who are pretty much out of it. There's potential for bad legs for Roc who just got home Sunday night after 8 day road trip (BC, then I think they were on the bus from Hamilton to Glens Falls). I hope they come out sharp.

Can someone clarify?

Yeah, they can't go down, but someone will have to say more about it than I can. This is where we need an Amerk poster version of wildcat. I miss his recaps.

I just wanted to clear up the misconception of waivers a bit.

Nice break down. Amerks have Grand Rapids tonight who are pretty much out of it. There's potential for bad legs for Roc who just got home Sunday night after 8 day road trip (BC, then I think they were on the bus from Hamilton to Glens Falls). I hope they come out sharp.

The AHL website has a pretty good Playoff Primer pdf file that breaks the playoff race down. My only complaint with it is they use the team logos in the standings and not the name or city, and the image is tiny so it's tough to tell what logo you're looking at.

http://theahl.com/pl...f-primer-s13201

EDIT: That link changes daily as they upload the new file. If you go to the http://theahl.com/ the playoff primer is listed as a link on the landing page, and it is also under the "standings" drop-down menu when you get past the landing page.

Yeah, they can't go down, but someone will have to say more about it than I can. This is where we need an Amerk poster version of wildcat. I miss his recaps.

I just wanted to clear up the misconception of waivers a bit.

Gotcha, thanks. I could be very wrong, but I thought the Clear Day rosters were set up to prevent NHL clubs who were eliminated from the playoffs from stacking their AHL team with NHL'ers for the playoff run.

I really like Luke Adam, but I think if he doesnt get back on his horse and works on his defensive play, he will not make the team next season. He seemed to be lost when the opponent was putting the pressure on in the Sabres zone. He was running around way to often in those situations. If he can work on that he'll be one helluva player for the Sabres in the future. If I remember correctly he worked his ass off last summer. (I remember some tweets of the Pegula daughters who said they just saw Luke Adam again in the gym at the FNC) Luke is a big big kid and he can play the body a little bit more next year. I am confident that he will find his way back in the NHL. WITH the Buffalo Sabres.

Archived